Searle's Raid Weekend Report

Diosa De Cancion

Ahoy!

I have returned safe and sound from Searle's Raid. I have plenty of pictures to share as well as a few tidbits.

Hurricane and I arrived bright and early Friday morning to see a camp already well underway in construction. We set up tents for our crewe throughout the day and settled in.

Not much later we saw our visitors from the white north, Mickey and Kate Souris, Callenish and Salty Pots along with Wee Hammish! Poor Kate was suffering from the horribly long drive so I insisted the rest of them take care of the set up and leave her to rest (or socialize, call it what you wish).

As the day progressed more and more people arrived. I am not sure what the final tally was, but among those in attendance were Sophia Eisley, those mentioned above, St Johnson, Willie Wobble, Jill Handed Red, Doug & William, and plenty of other people I am sure I am forgetting, but I didn't sleep last night... so... well I'm entitled.

Saturday had the ladies creating passamentry buttons for Mickey's pants...

IMG_3878.jpg

Next we ladies considered what would happen if all the Spanish and English wiped each other out. We needed replacements in the wings, just in case. Luckily it was Bike Week as well, so we headed to town to find ourselves some bikers..... We found a couple that were willing to take all 6 of us home....

IMG_3902.jpgIMG_3905.jpgIMG_3909.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next I had the notion that if we were to be prepared to replace our soldiers with bikers, we need to have the proper apparel. Kate found just the place....

IMG_3911.jpg

Next thing you know all the ladies are picking out a little something in leather.

IMG_3915.jpg

I also helped Kate to find some new bling that I am pretty sure is PC...

IMG_3917.jpg

Thankfully our men lived and when the evening came, I am sure in part due to the constant watch being kept by Sgt. Johnson

IMG_4279.jpg

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Mickey decided to show us his great skill.... Remove the Lady from her stays....

IMG_4257.jpg

One after the next....

IMG_4264.jpg

And finally, we did try to make sure we had PC hair styles.. and practiced a few up dos.....

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4276.jpg

A fantastic time was had by all. Here's a link to all the pictures.... While this was just my funny look at things. I also got some fantastic battle pictures that you can see at this link! Everyone did a great job! Much thanks to the MOM (Men of Menendez) for all the work they put into making this a wonderful event! It was much appreciated!

Searle's Pictures

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Thanks for the excellent photos! I am sorry that I missed the nighttime fun, but work awaited.

(I was the guy with the sharp knife for carving the roast)

I would say that a good time was had by all. Now how many will come back to St. Augustine for Drake's Raid...?

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

It was an amazing weekend - I loved following the boys off to battle with the babes in arms!! Thanks to Aunt Kate "shooting" people (with her camera) - I got to hold wee Hamish from time to time :blink:

The battle was awesome!! Sgt Johnson, Melissa, Doug, Willie, and all of you who've done this raid and the others over and over - thank you for sharing the experience!! And BIG thank you for the delicious food this weekend - wow!!

Red Sea Trade - thank you for your knife that night - it cut the roast like butter!!!!

To the new friends I met - Kate, Mickey, Salty and Calenesh - what fun you all are!! Michael - I promise to roast your marshmallows anytime :D

Kate - thank you sooo much for teaching me prick stitching - it really does look better!!

To Capt and D and the rest of my crewe - as always, thank you for another great trip!!

xoxoxox,

-Jill-

Thanks for the excellent photos! I am sorry that I missed the nighttime fun, but work awaited.

(I was the guy with the sharp knife for carving the roast)

I would say that a good time was had by all. Now how many will come back to St. Augustine for Drake's Raid...?

Thank you ever so much for the use of your knife! Without it I likely would still be trying to cut that meat! As for Drakes, that's another 100 years back and costumes we don't have right now... but I would love to come back, so we'll see.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

everyone looks grand...this is one i got to figure out how to make it too in the future....now in the pics i recognised most...but dont think i saw any of Diosa??

ok...so where are all the pics of her new PC-ified garb??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

everyone looks grand...this is one i got to figure out how to make it too in the future....now in the pics i recognised most...but dont think i saw any of Diosa??

ok...so where are all the pics of her new PC-ified garb??

Aye Dogge, you would be a great addition and can shoot your li'l guts out!

I am actually in a few of those if you look.... In the sewing ones, I am in the back.... I'm on the motorcycle... and well here's a shot after I pulled my hair down last night...

Playing Music

Here's another

The Girls

But I did even have my hair up and in a cap earlier in the day..... yuck. that will take some getting used to..... With that said Mickey and Kate are still discussing how to make me 'lady-like', since I am obviously clueless in that category. I had actually been working on a bodiced gown, but it and I had a few differences of opinion and it ended up being left behind, incomplete for the event....

D

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Oh Diosa! Looks like a grand time of it! You look great in your garb.

Nice to see farmilar faces at this event with good weather and fun.

I'm not sure, but it looks like Mickey may have been the prettiest guy there - Nice up-do there Mickey. Did you loose a bet? (Sorry M.A. d'Dogge...but Mickey must have been filing in fer ya).

Bikers? Okay...that will work for the Raid. I bet the Men of Menendez were pleased with turn out. Did anyone grab a Sunday Paper to see the 'facts' about the event?

To Kate, Mickey, Salty and Calenesh. Please be careful driving back home.

Thank you again for the lovely photos, Diosa!

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

IMG_3905.jpg

Damnation Maddogge, how on earth could ye miss Sexy Mayan Biker Chick??

(That's why she's my mistress! I at least know her when I see her... even if I am half blind.)

Oh and Mickey.. nice to know I'm not the only one that gets blotto at events...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oh Diosa! Looks like a grand time of it! You look great in your garb.

Nice to see farmilar faces at this event with good weather and fun.

I'm not sure, but it looks like Mickey may have been the prettiest guy there - Nice up-do there Mickey. Did you loose a bet? (Sorry M.A. d'Dogge...but Mickey must have been filing in fer ya).

Bikers? Okay...that will work for the Raid. I bet the Men of Menendez were pleased with turn out. Did anyone grab a Sunday Paper to see the 'facts' about the event?

To Kate, Mickey, Salty and Calenesh. Please be careful driving back home.

Thank you again for the lovely photos, Diosa!

Mickey was truly lovely almost a princess :) I just wish we had more colorful ribbons to do him justice. There were also no flowers around.

Sadly, Mickey did not lose a bet or anything of the sort. He was merely the least sober person around when there were four mostly sober women which included me (the instigator) and Melissa (Sgt Johnson's wife who had the brilliant idea and the ribbons to do it with). She thought that 2 am would be a brilliant time to give a 'hair ribbons' class to the rest of us and as long as we kept sangria in his tankard he didn't seem to mind.... that was until he saw it this morning.

I did not get a paper, but we will have to check with Sgt Johnaon when he pops on here.

As for their travels, I got a check in from S. Carolina... so, they're moving up that way and will be stopping in Pittsburgh for a few days.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Mickey was truly lovely almost a princess :) I just wish we had more colorful ribbons to do him justice. There were also no flowers around.

Sadly, Mickey did not lose a bet or anything of the sort. He was merely the least sober person around when there were four mostly sober women which included me (the instigator) and Melissa (Sgt Johnson's wife who had the brilliant idea and the ribbons to do it with). She thought that 2 am would be a brilliant time to give a 'hair ribbons' class to the rest of us and as long as we kept sangria in his tankard he didn't seem to mind.... that was until he saw it this morning.

You...an instigator?! NO! Really :D ?! I would have to say there is a bottle of 'some'n some'n' with your name on it at PIP 2009!

Sadly...our crewe doesn't have many with long hair anymore (men-folk), so this is a real treat to see ( :D )...now, as long as Mickey sticks to hair...and M.A.d'Dogge to a dress...we'll be okay.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

IMG_3905.jpg

Damnation Maddogge, how on earth could ye miss Sexy Mayan Biker Chick??

(That's why she's my mistress! I at least know her when I see her... even if I am half blind.)

Oh and Mickey.. nice to know I'm not the only one that gets blotto at events...

ok... :D:D ...i see Katie Darlin.(lovely as always)..boyish lookin Bickers....some some pretty lady..... :D

:D ...ok i give....wheres Diosa??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Oi Captain O' the Marines... come 'ere... I'll lend ye my bad eye...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Yes Cheeky, I really am just about as innocent as a look (which is not at all....)

Will the bottle be something that makes me skip about like a crazy woman?

Was that a Dogge compliment? :D I'm not sure what those look like so I'm checking :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

This was truly a blast. I don't know of anywhere else where you can walk the streets engaged in a period gun battle where hundreds of rounds are exchanged amid period buildings. Simply freaking amazing! Add in the great encampment, the roast beasts and the fine company and it's a real "do not miss" event that any Spaniard or buccaneer re-enactor shouldn't miss.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

you can walk the streets engaged in a period gun battle where hundreds of rounds are exchanged amid period buildings.

-- Hurricane

this alone makes it a must do event... shame more areas can't see that with planning and safety, it can be done...

Crewe of the Archangel

Oh My...Mickey you look stunning!

the pictures are great again it looks like everyone had a blast!

Well Mickey and Katie are not quite home yet....I believe they will get back today. They stopped in Pitt to get a few hours ZZZs... Do be sure to tell him how adorable he looked when he does get back though :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

My dear Lady Diosa, you must post the pictures of Mickey getting " made pretty ". They are a must see to truly appreciate the final product. :angry: I will see about putting this on my calendar for next year. I was hoping for this year but made commitments for my vacation time elsewhere. Looks like alot of fun.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

My dear Lady Diosa, you must post the pictures of Mickey getting " made pretty ". They are a must see to truly appreciate the final product. :angry: I will see about putting this on my calendar for next year. I was hoping for this year but made commitments for my vacation time elsewhere. Looks like alot of fun.

Animal

That's why the link is there... all the pictures are in the flicker link...

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

there's no excuse for us to not be there next year...of course this year there was a garb issue...and time off and $$ but next year its on our calendar!! Thanks for the photos! You all look fantastic and I can tell it was a GREAT time... how could it be otherwise with that group!

XOXO

Nell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Yes, it's definitely fun. Buccaneer is by far my favorite era to re-enact.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Animal

Yes Animal has lots of hair to be made pretty..perhaps give him pink ribbons?

*Snickers* Scratches Animal under the chin...

All the ladies look lovely of course...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Nay Lass.... nary a pink ribbon fer me. I learned me lesson last year at PIP. Not going to be in the condition that I wind up looking like Mickey. Still I keep waiting fer photos to show up. Maybe I gots lucky an none were taken :blink:

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!