Special Steam Punk edition ...

1stMate Matt

For about a year now, we have fluttered with the idea of doing a special edition of Pirates Magazine all on steam punk. It started as a brainstorming idea with Charles Vess(the artist behind stardust) during Faerie Con 2007. The idea evolved several times and we decided not to do it as an issue of the magazine but as a bonus that would be more of a book.

We are still in the early stages of this, but it is going to happen. We feel Steam Punk is growing in popularity and the extent that people go to put together there personalities is out of this world and worthy of attention. If you want to get onboard with us, now is the time. We want the best of the best and are willing to take as much time to put together something special as it takes. We are working with some of the worlds top artists with this project and are excited at what has been put together so soon.

I would like to open this post up as a brainstorming for this. What you all would like to see, ideas and anything you have to offer. Also we will be offer advertising for this is a classy way.

l_c85c7cf3bb452a5a8d600fa6683fb7da.jpg

l_29e8201f39c304c2a67ec0722eaed43a.jpg

So what do you think?

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

As both a photographer and reenactor, I have always been drawn to the photo aspect of what we do. Now my personal opinion is to interview some of the key names and characters of this genre, then go on location and shoot some characters in a suitable environment or have the settings digitally enhanced. The last thing I would want to see is just a bunch of pics from a con or club event. Especially since it's not just about the people, it's also about the gadgets and the environment they create.

Check out the Abney Park website. They did some excellent pics of the band and dropped them into suitable backgrounds for each character. Very well done and the characters are perfect!! Drop them a line and pull an interview. They have some great sound clips and a perfect look!

http://www.abneypark.com/

Yes there are a lot of Goth types who have gravitated to Steampunk. For many of us doing PC and historical based impressions, this is an opportunity to cut loose with a more creative and unrestricted gernre. It's also an opportunity to combine aspects from different areas of interest through out the different eras.

Currently I have plans for a Steampunk themed photo shoot, in addition to various LARP opportunities. If interested I might be willing to send some images your way.

Take care and feel free to send me a PM for more information.

Here's to you!

For about a year now, we have fluttered with the idea of doing a special edition of Pirates Magazine all on steam punk. It started as a brainstorming idea with Charles Vess(the artist behind stardust) during Faerie Con 2007. The idea evolved several times and we decided not to do it as an issue of the magazine but as a bonus that would be more of a book.

We are still in the early stages of this, but it is going to happen. We feel Steam Punk is growing in popularity and the extent that people go to put together there personalities is out of this world and worthy of attention. If you want to get onboard with us, now is the time. We want the best of the best and are willing to take as much time to put together something special as it takes. We are working with some of the worlds top artists with this project and are excited at what has been put together so soon.

I would like to open this post up as a brainstorming for this. What you all would like to see, ideas and anything you have to offer. Also we will be offer advertising for this is a classy way.

So what do you think?

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Oh I 100% agree with you on the photos. I was just giving an example of some fun that our crew was already having.

We will be arranging several photoshoots along the way. One will be on on an old ship(maybe the one used in Stardust) and add in a background that makes it look like an air ship. We are trying to get all parts of the world to be apart of this. We have recieved a few emails from some chaps over seas that are doing some wild steam punk tech. Flying machines and steam powered wagons. Just a few ideas so far.

We would love to see what you do. Might even be something we can do a chapter/section on.

Give me a few days. I will set up a Steampunk@piratesmagazine.com address for submissions.

thatworks.shop

I think your familiar with the term "strike while the iron is hot" lol, sorry I couldn't help myself! But, it is upon us. I had no idea it existed until pip this year, now the wife and I making outfits.

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

Since the Pub is sorta Pyrate Central, it might be nice if you featured some of the people here who not only play at pyrates, but also play at airship/Steampunk pyrates. Especially Mr. Hand, who, forgive me, seems to have his hand in a bit of everything. :lol:

There might be a decent group of us from the Columbia's Revenge heading to the Steampunk convention in SF come the end of October. We could keep you posted. Might also be some of us doing double duty at Nor Cal in June. Not sure yet.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

There will also be an event which will be know as Cyphan in 2010 in Chicago. The will be a very large contingent of steamers and pirates there.... especially if I'm organizing them and runnign the LARPs!! If you have a deadline, I'll be glad to see about scheduling... I have also been in contact with the folks at the House on the Rock, here in Wisconsin... This place is perfect for steamer location work...

Check em out

http://www.thehouseontherock.com/HOTR_Attr...GalleryShow.htm

Take a look and tell me this wouldn't be perfect for a weekend event!!

So what do you think?

sig2.jpg

Umm, William, I think she is meant to be a dark fairy. Notice the green wings just above the man's arm-armor.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Perhaps from the Unhallowed Metropolis genre... steampunk with a real twist

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I gotta go with William on this one - perhaps a zombie fairy?

I agree. :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

After being introduced to Steampunk this weekend, The Pyrates Way is jumping in with both feet. The Airship Pyrates was an immediate draw to us and I think there's enough material for both Pyrate magazines to cover such a cool, interesting, and unique view of this branch of fandom. Huzzah to PM for taking the lead (did I just type that?)

Since the Pub is sorta Pyrate Central, it might be nice if you featured some of the people here who not only play at pyrates, but also play at airship/Steampunk pyrates. Especially Mr. Hand, who, forgive me, seems to have his hand in a bit of everything. :rolleyes:

There might be a decent group of us from the Columbia's Revenge heading to the Steampunk convention in SF come the end of October. We could keep you posted. Might also be some of us doing double duty at Nor Cal in June. Not sure yet.

Of course! Weather or not you all feel this way I feel like this is my pyratical home and I concider the pub here as home base. I would like to feature as many members in the issue as I can.

I think we will have some of our west coast Press Gang at the SanFran event. It would be great to have 2 angles on the event. Def keep us posted.

thatworks.shop

She is actually a member of the Pirates of Emerson. You nailed it. Zombie/undead pirates. Nothing to do with steam punk just happened that she was in a picture with our Jose!

STEAMPUNK! So excited!

thatworks.shop

Are you taking submissions? A couple members of the Portland Steampunk Society talked about doing a magazine, like many others have, even did a small photo shoot. I'll post this thread link over on the myspace page.

Portland Steampunk Society

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I went to the site, and found it a bit confusing. How do you contact anyone? It looked to be more of a private blog site, rather than a society. But I'm a total rube when it comes to that sort of stuff.

LOVED the music though!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I went to the site, and found it a bit confusing. How do you contact anyone? It looked to be more of a private blog site, rather than a society. But I'm a total rube when it comes to that sort of stuff.

LOVED the music though!

Mysapce isn't the best format for it in my opinion. On the left below the picture is a link to "Send a Message" and the blog is on the right.

There is also the Rose City Steampunk Local 23

Rose City Steampunk Local 23

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

She is actually a member of the Pirates of Emerson.

Th' Pyrates of Emerson be cool..... not Steampunk (well they could be now) but Tales of the Seven Seas did a parade with them a few years ago.... they do a fantastic haunted house interactive kinda thing.... dang... wish I lived closer....

Oops... I never responded to this.....

I had no idea it existed until pip this year, now the wife and I making outfits.

Yeah... more Pyratical fun......just wit a different spin........... cool :D

Funny thing... there are a lot of post about how "I have always loved this... I just didn't know there was a name for it......"

Airship Pyrates.... Pyracy Pub.... this is the natural place fer this sorta thing.....

Cool......

There is some really great Steampunk stuff out there..... I'm still working on my stuff.... bits and pieces of it are coming together..... Just like Pyracy, the attention to details makes everything work out looking "right".... but then again... it does take some time.....

I think everyone here will want to know how the project is coming along.... and if their stuff is good enough to be a part of the project...(it is a good goal though.....)

• 2 months later...

We have Port fest comming up... maybe we can get some suitable pics on the WindyII that we can photoshop up and twist for steampunk???

There is some really great Steampunk stuff out there..... I'm still working on my stuff.... bits and pieces of it are coming together..... Just like Pyracy, the attention to details makes everything work out looking "right".... but then again... it does take some time.....

I think everyone here will want to know how the project is coming along.... and if their stuff is good enough to be a part of the project...(it is a good goal though.....)

sig2.jpg