Elizabethan Beer?

Monterey Jack

the group I am with runs a pub at the local ren-faire...its not for patrons, just a spot to do our pirate fights, gambling and showing off...

Any clue as to brewing equipment of the period?

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Well Montery,

I have stumbled across the book "The English Housewife" which has a pretty in depth chapter about brewing in it. Now this writing is a little past Elizabethan as it was originally published in 1615 (Elizabeth dies in 1603 if memory serves me well), but I am guessing that would be more than close enough for you?

Here's the kicker though, parts of the book can be found online, I think I have even staggered across a facsimile copy of an 1683 edition at one point online. But not having looked at an earlier edition I am not sure if the 1683 facsimile edition I stumbled across is heavily revised from the original 1615 edition or not. I think you can buy the book on Amazon in soft cover for prety cheap (about $20 +/-), and I think it is a transcription of the ortiginal text.

I'll have a peek through my book marks when I get home and see if I can provide you with a link to one of the online copies of the text. I also recall stumbling across a page of links to various 15th and 16th century scripts on brewing at one point as well. I'm sure if I can find that link again, you'll have more than enough to go on.

Michael_banner.jpg

Well Montery,

I have stumbled across the book "The English Housewife" which has a pretty in depth chapter about brewing in it. Now this writing is a little past Elizabethan as it was originally published in 1615 (Elizabeth dies in 1603 if memory serves me well), but I am guessing that would be more than close enough for you?

Perfect! Thank you! Obviously we can't operate a weekend brewery on site at faire, but to create a facsimile where folks could observe a mock-up of the process would rock. Any links are greatly appreciated!

Monterey Jack

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Montery Jack, sorry to be so slow in getting back to you... But I have honestly been looking for those links, and completely unable to find the information... That said, a lot of my bookmarks on the topic no longer work, so I think the information I was going to try and send you has been removed from the source pages.... Which is a real bummer.

However... Being an old hat at this interweb stuff and used to all the good stuff disappearing when it is most inconvenient for it to do so... I have most of the information stored on my computer. There is too much to email to you or post here (they are .jpg images of the original scanned books), so i fyou are still interested, please PM me with your address, and I can burn the info to a CD Rom for you and mail that to you id you so please. Pm me to work out details. If anyone else is similarly interested, I am more than happy to work something out as well.

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

Please, allow me then to offer the following link for the interim. Not Elizabethan, but from 1736.

The London and Country Brewer

Great info! Thanks!!

Monterey Jack

• 2 months later...

English Ale Trivia:

During the reign of Henry VIII the use of hops in English ale was against the law.

So I suspect that there will still a lot of herb beers around during the time of

Mary & Elizabeth. I'm not sure how quickly hops crept their way back into

English ale. Maybe I'll research that next week?

I have read conflicting sources that state Henry VIII only forbid his court brewers

the use of hops. Other records indicate that hops were only illegal in isolated areas such

as Shrewsbury.

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Any information on why hops were outlawed?

If hops are outlawed, only outlaws will have hops!

English Ale Trivia:

During the reign of Henry VIII the use of hops in English ale was against the law.

So I suspect that there will still a lot of herb beers around during the time of

Mary & Elizabeth. I'm not sure how quickly hops crept their way back into

English ale. Maybe I'll research that next week?

I have read conflicting sources that state Henry VIII only forbid his court brewers

the use of hops. Other records indicate that hops were only illegal in isolated areas such

as Shrewsbury.

Any information on why hops were outlawed?

The facts are clouded by conflicting historical sources and the haze of time.

But several sources stated or at least implied that Henry VIII had estates

that grew herbs used in brewing ale. As king he could eliminate the competition

with the stroke of a pen. To use or not use hops in English ale was bitter controversy

that lasted for several hundred years.

Edited by CaptainSatan

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg