Resurgence in commercial sail

Coastie04

I'm surprised I missed this last year, and I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I found the following article recently:

Tall Ships used for Cargo

I know the more recent technology of the 'sky sail', as well as yachts such as the Maltese Falcon have been discussed, but this is the first time in a long time that I've seen a traditional tall ship used for transporting goods.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Oi, lad....

Since this is not about a film, stories or any other thing this thread has to do with, what say we tottle this topic off to... Twill? :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I saw a post here a year or two ago about a sail powered tanker that was in development. Looked nothing like a traditional sailing ship. 4 or 5 masts, sails contained within the spars. All sail management was done via a computer on the bridge, and the trim was set automatically using remote sensing. The entire ship could be operated by less than 10 people, who were there mostly to keep things repaired. Plug in your origin, destination and some waypoints into your GPS, push the "weigh anchor" button, and its off to the galley to microwave nachos and watch DVDs!

Iron Bess, can I move this topic, or do you have to? Move it wherever. I almost posted it in Twill, but since it's not really historical, I figured it might fit here.

Sjöröveren, I believe the boat you're thinking of is the Shin Aitoku Maru, a Japanese tanker that uses square sails to reduce fuel costs when the wind is right.

871_Shin%20Aitoku%20Maru.jpg

There is also a product (bulk) carrier that underwent a feasability study. However, it was found that this technology would increase the operating costs by 10%

propulsion-7.jpg

Major drawbacks to both of these designs is the same that plagued sailing vessels 100 years ago. The rigging all costs money (though manpower has been greatly decreased), and relying only on wind is more dangerous and less reliable for maintaining a modern schedule. The solution to this is to have both sails and engines. However, having two systems to maintain costs money, and therefore the only financial benefit would be lower fuel costs. Thus, it is only a savings in fuel that is compared to the cost of building a new boat, installing and maintaining the rigging and sails (whatever the material, construction method, etc). In response to this, the kite/sky sail technology has been developed that can be added to existing vessels relatively reasonably, without taking up valuable deck space, or adding too much weight, and having less rigging to maintain. Personally, this is the way I forsee wind power developing in the near future.

propulsion-9.jpg

Coastie

Edited by Coastie04

I would love for the technology of the Maltese Falcon to be used in a commercial vessel.

8.jpg

And, it's got to have one of the most comfortable bridges I've ever seen.

6.jpg

Coastie