The economy hits home

Sjöröveren

Today, I got laid off from the job that I had hoped would take me into retirement. I loved the work -- what pirate wouldn't love making maps, right? But our bread & butter work was highway construction and land development, and both have been hit hard by the economy. So today, there were massive layoffs. Our office in Colorado was closed completely. Here in Minneapolis, we lost 15 out of about 30. Three left in my department, which until today had 10 people. The people who were left seem to think its just a matter of time before everything goes.

And the hell of it is, I can't really get too mad about it. This was the best-managed company that I had ever worked at. Even up as recently as last December, they were confident that '09 was going to be a blockbuster year. But they're just losing money hand over fist, and no one can keep that going for long.

But this was one of the few jobs that I've ever had that I really loved. You hear so many folks say how they dread Monday morning, how their boss is an idiot, etc. etc. I loved going to work, the people there were great to work with and work for. And now, I've got to go out and find some crappy job, a few weeks before my 52nd birthday, in this toilet of an economy. But I'm going to be Scarlet O'Hara for a day, and worry about that tomorrow. Today, I'm still too numb.

:rolleyes:

You know, when I read in the PTC thread that you had extra time on your hands to do the cards, I just figured you'd finished up some other project, and now had some free time. I'm so sorry about your job, and wish your free time was something fun, instead of a lay off.

Hope you find something soon, and maybe if your map company can make it through the bad times, they will hire you back when things pick up.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Wow..Im so sorry to hear that. Times are tough here to, I was only getting eight hours a week but at least it's a job. Ill keep you in my prayers that things turn around for you.

Blessings,

Syren

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Aye mate, t'day naught be a time t' loose yer head. Honestly, I have now been in th' very position ye describe now not once but this be me third time now - "Quote" But this was one of the few jobs that I've ever had that I really loved."

Th' first time was rough, I felt really down, really really down, t' this very day I still blast them 'suits' what took that company down after th' original owner died....best damn company ever it twas, but them damn suits destroyed it in less then two year time! But then I found another (but not until after a couple crap jobs), then (without long description) it too ended and they laid us all off in 1999...I found me self at Eathlink Internet think'n it t' be just a stepping stone job but instead moved th' ladder like lightning and felt "this be home again" - great company, wonderful people, me crapy $10 per hour pay had even almost tippled in less then one year time, full benefits, I was happy again and aiming for even more - then *BAM* - 2003 struck and Sky Dayton sold th' company t' more blaggard suits who tossed it all 'over seas' 'n laid us all off.

I wandered a couple more year, went back t' school, through a couple more p*ss arse jobs, then landed at Xerox...found a GREAT group there - honest workers they be! Friendly, cared about customers and company well being...welcomed me with open arms they did, like family they soon became...and still are fer that matter...but, times changed again, as ye said 'things were getting bad fast'....our corporate financial head got invited onto our new president's "civilian council"...she came back last October from their very first meeting with him (before he even took office) and (in not so many words) said "2009 is going to be CRAP for everyone!" and announced that they must lay off 3,000 people world wide, No new contracts, Hiring Freeze across the board....I was on a three long year contract with expect t' become perminante last month when me contract ended, so did me supervisor and me co-workers...but alas - Hiring Freeze meant 'hiring freeze'. Me supervisor parlayed all he could but t' no avail....now I too be in th' same shoes ye speak....yet again.

Now I not be 52, I only be 48, so our positions not be that much different really....but mate - We WILL prevail, our lives not be over yet, why? Because We ARE what America be made of, we ARE what America WILL be made of. We may have t' change our view somewhat, but NEVER dismiss our values mind ye! We may have t' tighten our belts a bit t' wait th' storm, but in th' end, we Will prevail - we will find our place in th' market 'n once again have a job we can say "Honey, I am going t' work" (then do all that mushy kissy face crap 'n head fer th' door with smile on our face).

Aye mate, I feel for them what be experiencing this fer th' first time, that I really do, for that 'first time' feeling not be that far off that I too can not recall it....But Buckle Up Make! We be Americans! We Can Survive! We Can Make It Again!....also we be pirates, and that be better yet! B)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

So true, so true. Me own crewe makes fun of me being 50, but I've seen this before and know that it always snaps back. I graduated in 1981 when there were probably 40 people vying for every position I was applying for. But I persevered and things did get better. And they will again to. I think the country has been through 20 recessions/depressions since the mid 1800s (I just did an article on it from a client of mine) and this one pales in comparison to some real doozies, namely one in the late 1800s that lasted 10 years. I think we'll all be fine as long as we don't all lose faith. The economy is a self fulfilling proposition - if we think it is all going to tank, it will. Our positive outlook collectively keeps it from getting worse.

Like many of us 'old timers' I'm a survivor. I've been fired, resigned and laid off. When it happened the last time 16 years ago, I started my own business and haven't looked back since.

So hang in there - something will come up in the most unexpected way.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Sjorovaren - I am sorry for your misfortune. Especially that you lost a job you loved so much. I hope you find something soon.

As for what has been said here,

Agreed. Though I am younger, a change in jobs has stalled over fears of being laid off as well. I have some seniority right now so I have to decide whether to stay put.

Back in December 1991 the economy was sagging and threatening to get much worse. The number of people working fell an astonishing 250,000 in one month. 18 months later, the economy was still stagnating.

At the end of the elder GWB presidency, I remember things being bleak. My neighbor who was a CPA was desperately looking to acquire a Snapple route. Hed been laid off for months from his desk job.

My best friend who worked in finance spent 10 months looking for a job. Milk was expensive, bread was expensive and for the first time I remember being scared about the future. I have this vivid memory of that Summer sitting in a chair in my living room and fearing a near depression.

But we pulled out. I think that because today unlike the 20's we have a global economy, problems aren't just isolated on a local level anymore. There was an article yesterday about the G8 summit and how the wealthiest countries are going to try to solve the world finnancial crisis.

Of course none of this helps those who need it right this minute.

What really pisses me off is a couple of US Citizens have spent $155,000.00 in South Korea to clone their dog which died from cancer.

WTF??!!

1) The money left our hurting economy and went to Korea.

2) I love my dog, but come on...in the status of need in this country how piggish, how ultimately selfish.

3) I could have really used that $155,000 B)

But homeleess people, elderly people who only take half their meds because they can't afford that and food, the recent victims of weather in

Kentucky, medical research. Those of you now out of work or facing a possible furlough could have used it a lot more.

If that couple hit the skids financially I wouldnt buy them a slice of pizza. :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

As I stated in another thread, my father was recently laid off after nearly 40 years with his company (he was about 2-3 years away form retirement), but in addition to that, as a clinical therapist, most of my current patients are dealing with adjustment disorders of anxious, depressive or mixed subtypes due to job loss, home foreclosure, business collapse or some form of financial stress. Living in Palm Beach - an area who's economy was based on the real estate market as well as being the area hardest hit by Madoff - we've seen some real horror stories. In the last 90 days there's been about a half dozen suicides associated around current patients - one was a patient themselves (the rest were family members or friends of patients) due to the current economic crisis.

That said, if you are feeling particularly stressed and need to talk to someone, pick up ye old local phone book and call an area non-profit (which is what I work for), such as Catholic Charities or Jewish Family Services. The agencies are non-sectarian and usually offer counseling on a sliding scale (I don't have a single client that currently pays more than $20 a session and most play closer to $1 to $5 a session).

Aye... I don't have much to add from what most of you has said, other than to say I'm in the same boat... Was let go from a local history museum as their marketing director as the Pres said "we're going in a new direction" which appears "down" since they've since let go of several others. Their finances are in bad shape, and they depend on historical reenactments in the summer for much of their bread 'n butter. If it weren't for facility reservations, I think they'd be sunk. I've been looking for work for over a year now, & focusing now on a new direction in education, but will most require some additional schooling. All I can really say is I too believe it is keeping a positive attitude for our futures-- believing that this is just a stepping stone...ok, could be a plateau of sorts-- but that there IS something better out there for each of us. Won't lose hope! And thank God for unemployment insurance!

Also I forgot t' add; not sure if ye be a Veteran or not? If so then check with yer local Vet Rep (NOT th' EDD) for funds t' training...again not sure of your career path, but for me such a 'lul' is a perfect opportunity t' see about upgrading/updating any certs ye carry. Right now they, at least here, are all on top of taking care o' Veterans...them just coming out have it SWEET where school support is concerned, but right now there are new bills and funds for even those of us all th' way back t' Vietnam and beyond, Take Advantage Of It! Of course they will not pay for ye to go after a degree or even an update t' any degree ye may hold, BUT they will pay for 'Adult Classes' in a vast arena o' skills including business classes and classes for starting yer own business! Better then sitting around and worrying, get out, meet people, learn somthing ye been want'n to but didn't have time t' - Unemployment tis not forever, unless ye let it be :blink:

I am in the same boat as everyone else - sorta. I currently have a job, but haven't been on the schedule for the past 5 weeks (and the schedule for next week is out but I'm not holding my breath to see if I am on it). Thankfully I can collect unemployment so it helps pay the bills. I also have an interview today for a job at a gas station/convenience store (Kwik Trip for those in my neck of the country). Its 3rd shift which will take a LOT of getting used to as I am a morning person, but its a paycheck. There is nothing else in the area unless you are a nurse or truck driver/mechanic. The extra time is giving me time to work on homework (working on an MA in history) as well as starting up some sewing projects for other people (paid even! YAY!). Unfortunately, I don't see the economy turning around for at least another 10 years (for various reasons which I won't go into)

Whoa... sorry to hear this..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job. As a fellow cartographer, if there is anything I can do...

I don't know if you are interested in relocating, but there is always a chance we'll be hiring in the future. So if you don't mind living in the DC area...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

:lol:

:::hugs::: Sorry t' hear, Sea Rover. Aye, that does hurt. Especially if it's somethng you fancied for so long.

:::shrugs::: maybe we should get ourselves part of that Stimulus Package, build a Tall Ship and start doing that retro transport that was stated in another thread. :lol:

We are all so very hopeful for something better but positive thinking is tough when ye yo'rself and many others around you and cities just continue in a downward spiral. Hell, it's hope, determination, and the need to survive that keeps me going. Those are indeed the basic points of humanity. When ye've hit those, ye've hit the breaking point. And alas, though some have reached that point, there are still others out there who are not there yet cause they are getting their arses saved when others are not!

::le sigh::: Hopefully we can still see ye and the family at some event this year, shipmate. I know it will be tough.

I'll keep ye in my prayers. :lol:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I'm 52 as well and this is the first time I've had job security when the economy took a nose dive. I know your pain-- I've had to work at jobs that were hell-on-earth to support my family. There were a lot of infrastructure provisions in the recovery bill Obama just signed, so I hope some of that money goes to re-hiring you in the job you loved. Best of luck to you.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

things in st. louis are bad also.... construction wise, i think i'm on the only job going... a cement plant 1 1/2 hours away from home <_< beats sitting at the hall getting unemployment, though..

the company i work for just laid off 100 electricians from this job alone...i've made it through alot of layoffs before, but when this job is done, i don't know if there will be anything else... might be joining the ever growing list...

I feel ya! I got wrongfully terminated. long ugly drama. Lets just that after 12 years with the company it had to end. So i'm unemployed, trying to collect un-employment. But i have a hearing on Monday because they are fighting a lousy $519.00 a month. Lucky my hubby has a good job. In retail its horrible, because I live of the hedge fund pirates.When my well off-clients don't spend money its bad. I have a job interview on Friday, but with all the over-qualified responses(how can you be overqualified in operating a cash register?)I have hope that I will get the job. Its bad all over

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

(how can you be overqualified in operating a cash register?)

ERIS

'overqualified' these days means ye be expect'n t' be paid 'n be paid a fair wage...that be 'overqualified'

But homeleess people, elderly people who only take half their meds because they can't afford that and food, the recent victims of weather in Kentucky, medical research. Those of you now out of work or facing a possible furlough could have used it a lot more.

:::nods::: True. Very true.

I mean it's not like myself and others were happy and expecting the massive flood to come through and wipe out livelihoods so to speak. Watch my sister's kids while she gets back on her feet, too, - from her home being affected and having to spend all her savings and not getting a penny remenbursement. Likewise I know with a few other friends with their homes and businesses - and yet not get paid a cent either to where I lose everything cause someone didn't follow through and played around with me (damn DHS!).

Yeah, I won't see any of that stimulus package just like I never saw anything last year. Thanks a lot. :lol:

Yes, there is such a thing as being "overqualified". You have NO idea how many times I was told that... even when I was desperate for a second job.

Again, sea rover... I saddens me to hear this. I honestly hate seeing friends and family lose their jobs at this time. Now is NOT the time to have this happen.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Thanks to everyone here for commiserating with me. It's been a few days now, and I'm still not really used to the idea of being unemployed. I guess like many men, I tended to define myself by what my job was, and now that I don't have a job, defining myself just gets a bit more vague. But I'm not down in the dumps at all. I've learned not to panic at the unknown, so I'm taking stock of my situation with a level head.

But I am still mad about the whole thing! All the employees were divided into 3 groups: laid off permanently, laid off - subject to recall, and retained. I was in the first group. When my supervisor learned I was in the first group, and not the third, he was PISSED! He wasn't consulted at all about who to keep and who not to, and he was forced to keep some dead weight (for unfathomable reasons) and lose me, who he considered to be "one of the few who gets it." And if people do get called back, I won't be on that list; more dead weight would come back before me. I talked to him a bit, and he said he would try to change some minds of upper management, but he's not hopeful and neither am I.

I think this was done purely for cash flow reasons. They can't do the work that they already have in house with the people they kept, so I figure they looked at how much money they had, how many people they could pay with that, and got rid of everyone else. Because the prospects for more new projects for them seem good. The stimulus package is sending something like $5 billion to Minnesota, and much of that for road and bridge construction (remember the 35-W bridge collapse? We mapped the wreckage. Many of the photos published that you may have seen were taken by our aerial photographer.) Management says all of that money is for "shovel ready" projects, meaning someone has already mapped it, now its time for the construction crews to move in. But the state legislature hasn't actually allocated that $5 billion yet, and the MN Dept of Transportation is notorious for getting all the money they want, when they ask. (They didn't ask for enough for bridge repair in the past, obviously. Heads rolled for that.) So I think management may have been over-reacting a bit here. They may want some of us back before too long. Now if I can just get onto the recall list somehow.

And I know there's so many people out there right now in the same boat, competing for the same few jobs. Trying to figure out how to make my resume stand out, having not done one for some time. And no, MadL, I do not have the honor of being a veteran, so those folks will be in line in front of me -- which is only right. One of the guys laid off on Monday had just come back from his tour in Afghanistan that day only to be told he didn't have a job anymore. That stinks big time, and I hope he has some legal recourse. But he's 27, unmarried, fresh out of the military and with a college degree that isn't moldy like mine. He's pretty upbeat about his future.

So I should probably get busy with getting my future in order.

Thanks again everyone!

I hear ye Sjöröveren, I be at the back of the Veteran line as I got out way back in 1985 but I must say they are Really take care of our Vets this time around, just got out of a Vet seminar today and those that served since th' Gulf War are REALLY being taken care of, to look around the room at all these young kids and they are getting FULL education support and FULL medical, those who have gotten out within the last 10 years are even being given a "guaranteed" home loan through the military - when I got out I was just told "Goodbye"....wasn't even told til just a few years ago that I had a right to a Vet's Card and access to the Veteran's Hospital and doctors; at least I have a good local Vet Rep who is doing a superb job at informing us all, even the Korean war and Vietnam vets who were never told before of the services available...but these reps helping them what are just coming back are so bending over backwards - tis enough t' bring a tear t' one's eye (NO tongue in cheek!)

But hey Sjöröveren, on yer resume (or as we say "Resume Me"), do ye have a local EDD support office where ye be? ALL unemployed have rights to their services, the ones here have some very good resume classes; as I have been a teacher and an executive level rep for Sharp Electronics that got me into a program they all "EU" (Experience Unlimited), check your local state's EDD web site and see if they offer such a thing in your area, they are great bunch who have even further assistance with writing resumes, mock interviews, job search networking, even various classes; me last time unemployed I did a couple voluntary classes teaching Excel, Internet savvy (how to use webmail, browsers, and forum boards), and MSWord. Plus such activities give you cause t' get up and get out, keep your mind thinking. Such programs such as EU also require you spend XX amount of time actively participating such as showing up at the EDD office and sorting the new job lists (pulling any that look like they meet your group for their review before posting t' th' "little people" *hahaha*) and they usually have a Yahoo group where we gather to trade information among each other (ie: I run across jobs not for me but possibly for others in the group I pass them along - Networking, that's what its all about, unemployed people helping fellow unemployed people).

• 1 month later...

Here's an unexpected update to my unemployment story. It made the front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune today. It's not everyday that a quiet job in an obscure industry makes the news. And as you might guess, there's more to the story than what's in the paper, most of which I'm not at liberty to discuss. But I do want to repeat that my former employer always dealt with me squarely, and that I would happily go back to work there this second if they would have me. But there's some folks here in Minnesota getting pretty steamed about it.