My new pc art cards

King's Pyrate

Very nice effect indeed!

Thanks...it is fun to try new techniques.

Very nice stuff. So.....why didn't you sign up for the PTC exchange?....... :D

These would have been perfect!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Those came out great....

It would be a pain to get them as layers in Photoshop, but if you had the top layer as the inked lines, and then "washed out" (adjusted the transparency of) the colors a little more, they would almost look like hand tinted prints.....

Hummm..... <new Layer>... then trace the black lines with the pen tool ....

<new layer> and color fill..... then <filter> and water color.....

Then adjust the transparency on the colored layers..... over the original....

then flatten everything.....

Very nice effect indeed!

Thanks...it is fun to try new techniques.

Very nice stuff. So.....why didn't you sign up for the PTC exchange?....... :blink:

These would have been perfect!

I was pirating over on myspace and saw the link after you folks were well on your way...I have cards already made.

06card250red.jpg

saucy_jack_card250.jpg

Edited by King's Pyrate

Those came out great....

It would be a pain to get them as layers in Photoshop, but if you had the top layer as the inked lines, and then "washed out" (adjusted the transparency of) the colors a little more, they would almost look like hand tinted prints.....

Hummm..... <new Layer>... then trace the black lines with the pen tool ....

<new layer> and color fill..... then <filter> and water color.....

Then adjust the transparency on the colored layers..... over the original....

then flatten everything.....

Patrick...you know too much...lol....might give that a try cept I do not have a pen tool...but still might be able to do it.

Thanks for the tip

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

That style of art is called Vexel. There are many different ways of going about it but in the end you'll get that "comic book" look to it. Do a youtube search for Vexel Tutorials and pull some ideas from those to see what you can come up with. As an artist myself always remember your worst critic is yourself.

I looked vexel up, and found that it is just tracing and using layers over a picture.... that's simple enough...I've messed with value reduction in Photoshop, and came up with some interesting images....Using the same "tricks" but in color might work easily enough....

Most of what I do, I start with a line drawing, and then fill it in... but there were some ideas in the videos that I will have to play with...

I wonder if there would be enough interest to start a Photoshop tricks and tips thread?

ABSOLUTELY!

Last Thursday, I had two friends come over to help me figure out a business card, which I had been fumbling around with in PhotoShop. Wow, one of the ladies knew way more than me, and in just the few hours they were at my place, I learned quite a bit about layering—but can't remember all the stuff and tools that she used, as she was soooo fast! But still, it's only the tip of the iceberg of what the program can do, and I only have Photo Elements 2.0. I think now they are up to 7.0 or something. :blink:

Oh, and these ladies worked on PCs at home, and I have a Mac. The only frustrating thing for them was, on a Mac there is no "right click" on the mouse.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

There is on other mice that work with Mac. I dumped my Apple Mouse immediately and got a Logitech Trackball with programmable buttons and a scroll wheel. It's a delight when working in PhotoShop, which I've been doing much of the day today.

-- Hurricane

ABSOLUTELY!

Last Thursday, I had two friends come over to help me figure out a business card, which I had been fumbling around with in PhotoShop. Wow, one of the ladies knew way more than me, and in just the few hours they were at my place, I learned quite a bit about layering—but can't remember all the stuff and tools that she used, as she was soooo fast! But still, it's only the tip of the iceberg of what the program can do, and I only have Photo Elements 2.0. I think now they are up to 7.0 or something. :blink:

Oh, and these ladies worked on PCs at home, and I have a Mac. The only frustrating thing for them was, on a Mac there is no "right click" on the mouse.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com