New to GAoP (but not historic clothing)

beryana

I am looking to start getting my kit together - and utilizing the patterns (and linen stash!)I already have. I am going to be getting patterns for stays as the patterns I have (and made) are Elizabethan and Rev War as well as the Mantua. From what I have seen, the shifts are about elbow length? I have a French Canadienne (1740-1760) pattern from La Fluer de Lyse which has about elbow length sleeves and a rounded, ungathered neckline. Would this work?

Also, on the petticoats, are they hemmed or finished with tape? Also for the waistband of the petticoats are they two pieces where the back ties in the front and the front ties in the back? Or is it a solid waistband that is fitted and ties on one side?

I would like to do things properly - but at the same time use the resources I already have collected (and then spend the money on fabric cuz that's just more fun!). :)

Sarah

P.S. I found the answer to the petticoat waistband and ties.

Edited by beryana

Petticoat waistbands varied slightly. Pleated and best to have the openings on the side for a couple of reasons. (tie in front and back for better adjustment around the waist... and a side access to pockets)

Ummm... as to the rest... :::Shrugs::: I suppose. Sounds about right. Hard to tell without seeing the pattern I suppose.

Sometimes it's not completely the stitch and that sort that makes it perfect to the era... but the correct style. Most of what ye see from 1492 wouldn't generally be worn in 1710.

Have a look around. Plenty of links and places to check out for a proper look. Gentlemen of Fortune has a good site about piratey clothes and more.

The Costumers Manifesto is a great place to start for proper period attire both for men and women of various social classes.

I wish ye luck. Keep asking questions though. Always someone here to help. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand about styles being different for not only the time period but also for the country/area of origin - and I'm not sure what you are referring to with stitch and that sort, with the shift I was asking about style and to some extent the same with the petticoats (I've seen same period, same area with taped hems and turned under hems).

I'll continue to search for the answers to my questions.

Although I'm not familiar with the chemise pattern you mentioned, your description sounds about correct for the GAoP.

About Petticotes, my wife and I have always used edge binding (the same more or less as tape) for pleating the top edge into and as ties for the waistband. The bottom edge she does a small hem.

As for the mantua, I would strongly recommend buying the Reconstructing History pattern. The pattern is not easy to follow (especially for beginner, which you do not seem to be), but everyone I have spoken to that has taken the advioce to draft their own pattern for the mantua has run into many difficulties. The people that have had success with mantuas (In my obsevration), have either bought the RH pattern and used it before drafting their own pattern from another period example, or had someone in very close contact to hold their hand through it.

Hope these comments come as useful.

To make this post hopefully a bit more helpful...

Discussion o n Shifts/Chemises. This is recent nd has a period based pattern contained within the thread for comparison to your pattern. Hopefully this will be of more help to you.

Then there is This Thread on Petticotes which contains some good information and more importantly some links to a great tutorial on how to make a GAoP appropriate petticote.

Mantua dicussion this has the comments of a few peoples differing experiences in making a mantua.

Backside of mantuas This thread is supposed to be about the backsides of mantuas, I haven't followed this discussion at all really, so I am not sure if there is helpful information there or not.

And then there is This thread which was intended to be a sort of female of the GAoP clothing 101, and I think it does a pretty good job of it.

Michael_banner.jpg