Weighty Issues?

RustyNell

Wanted to share a website my doctor just turned me on to. I've been a minor yo-yo'er where my weight is concerned. However I have never had the struggle with weight that I've had the last 5 years. Sure I've gained a bit here and there, and lost a bit here and there, but NOW I need to loose almost 60lbs. Its been a bit overwhelming these days. I have to admit I haven't been motivated and I have been living in denial. I have been a bit delusional about what it takes these days to get the weight off, verses what it used to take to shed the pounds. Age is a bitch.

Anyway....I started using this website today. I am already amazed at how quickly I've learned how easy its been for me to hide from the truth. Its quickly become apparent that if I do this honestly and consciously, and NOT with some fad eat-this-don't-eat-that kind of diet this is going to work!

Anyway ...check it out

SPARK PEOPLE

Its completely free all of the time and has some amazing tools to keep track of your calories, your exercise, how much water you drink, and your overall progress. I look forward to watching the graphs change over the year. Its such a good site and I'm so encouraged by it I just had to share it.

Much Love and HEALTH!

Nell

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Oh if anyone on here decides to join let me know we can "be friends" on the site and encourage each other. I'm all about supporting friends in their goals.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Last night I climbed on my exercise machine for the first since getting Lyme Disease. I've been in near-constant pain ever since getting that stinkin' disease, and now I'm at the point where I'm going to see if exercise will chase it away...

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Last night I climbed on my exercise machine for the first since getting Lyme Disease. I've been in near-constant pain ever since getting that stinkin' disease, and now I'm at the point where I'm going to see if exercise will chase it away...

My cousin had a bout with Lyme's Disease. I know how exhausting it can be. He's doing much better. I know its difficult but exercise definitely helped him.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Damn - I had no idea. Does rum help??

RHJMap.jpg

thanks for sharing babe! I'm actually down 10 or 11 so far, but I have another 25 or so to go to be where I want to be. oh wait, that means I'm already almost 1/3 of the way there... woohoo! (I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes)

I am not doing fad stuff... just changed my eating lifestyle (don't use the word diet... it seems to be a failure bomb) and added exercise. Then I got the crud that hurricane had and now I'm cranky cause I haven't worked out in 5 days.... damn men and their germs....

Diosa

Wanted to share a website my doctor just turned me on to. I've been a minor yo-yo'er where my weight is concerned. However I have never had the struggle with weight that I've had the last 5 years. Sure I've gained a bit here and there, and lost a bit here and there, but NOW I need to loose almost 60lbs. Its been a bit overwhelming these days. I have to admit I haven't been motivated and I have been living in denial. I have been a bit delusional about what it takes these days to get the weight off, verses what it used to take to shed the pounds. Age is a bitch.

Anyway....I started using this website today. I am already amazed at how quickly I've learned how easy its been for me to hide from the truth. Its quickly become apparent that if I do this honestly and consciously, and NOT with some fad eat-this-don't-eat-that kind of diet this is going to work!

Anyway ...check it out

SPARK PEOPLE

Its completely free all of the time and has some amazing tools to keep track of your calories, your exercise, how much water you drink, and your overall progress. I look forward to watching the graphs change over the year. Its such a good site and I'm so encouraged by it I just had to share it.

Much Love and HEALTH!

Nell

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I am not doing fad stuff... just changed my eating lifestyle (don't use the word diet... it seems to be a failure bomb) and added exercise. Then I got the crud that hurricane had and now I'm cranky cause I haven't worked out in 5 days.... damn men and their germs....

I don't use the word diet either. Had to change my eating style years ago for a food intolerance, and tailored it a little more for hypoglycemia. Since mid last year, I joined my dad in eating healthier and upping the exercise. He's lost 60+ lbs, and I've lost 30+. Got 10 or so to go. I'm happy to be getting into smaller sizes, and enjoy having more energy.

Good luck to those on the path to eating healthier and exercising more. You can do it. :)

Blackjohn - How long have you had the affliction? My sympathies on your pain.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Soon as my tumors are gone on Tuesday and I am healed enough I can do so I would love to do this with you Nell.

BlackJohn, Im so sorry to hear of your pain, especially when it controls some aspects of your life. Just know we are here for you if you need us.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I have no choice I've run out of clothes...I will not buy more I have a closet full of perfectly good clothing!!

Anyway this sight has just made me aware I'm not eating too much its just what I eat thats the problem... no wonder my blood pressure is up, just 3 days of tracking and I could see the % of sodium I was eating. it really is a great site to see how everything breaks down.

Anyway...congrats to everyone for their success and all the best for your continued journey towards health.

It wasn't diet changes that caused my weight gain. It was lack of activity, I'm sure that contributed. I recently had surgery (October) It didn't help that the hormones the doctors had me take for 6 months prior to surgery helped to put an additional 20lbs on my frame.

I've been off the hormones for 4 months now, and am starting to feel like myself.

It will be great to be able to wear my clothes again!! Everything in my closet is tight and some things... well I can't even begin get them on... that will change!!

Black Syren I know what your going through. I'm so glad I had the surgery, it made all the difference in the world. I'm not exhausted all the time anymore. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Nell

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nell - Just in case yah miss the FlaRF thread, I was wondering where yah came upon your hula hoop you mentioned. Wondering if it was from a company that I could easily find or contact. Then again, I could always search for "magnetic hula hoops", eh? :lol:

Kudos on the weight loss thus far Diosa. I need to up my intake of fruits 'n veggies ('n lower fat) for a few weeks so I fit comfortably into my pair of Venetians for Searles. That and more crunches using "The Bean". That sucker makes core exercises easy for me.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I may need a new set of stays soon - my leather one is starting to meet front and back... down 8 lbs so far.... I'm not rushing...though... slow and steady.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Aye - any more than a pound or two a week and you're setting yourself up for failure. Your body needs time to adjust!

Whenever I see those ads or commercials that make claims such as "I lost 30 pounds in just one month!" I want to beat them severely about the head and shoulders. They don't mention that afterwards, those idiots GAINED the thirty pounds back plus an additional ten or so.

RHJMap.jpg

Don't get my wrong... I am not working that hard to lose a bunch fast... I guess I was really out of where my body was happy being and it's dropping the initial stuff quickly... I actually know where my plateaus are and I am not far from one now... when I get there it will be there for a while before the next drop... but I have turned my eating into a habit...

Here's my current program....and I wouldn't call it a diet.. I have never liked diets and I'm pretty happy with what I am doing...

I have a huge smoothie in the morning with a banana, OJ, Mixed berries (frozen from Sams) a couple strawberries and ice... That's breakfast and it's substantial enough that it gives me plenty of energy and keeps me doing til lunch.

I start lunch with a salad... and I can make a killer salad... may I recommend the Mrs Dash Salad seasonings, they REALLY add great flavor I have a garlic and herb one that rocks. I use celery, carrots, peppers (if you have a Sams, they have this big bag of little assorted colorful peppers that are various flavors of sweet and they are fab!!!, cucumber.. and frankly I skip the lettuce... leaf lettuce is useless to the body and well I am too lazy to chop up romaine every day. I make 3-4 days of salad at a time, put it in little ziploc tubs and at lunch it's happy and colorful and waiting for me :) I top with the seasoning, a little bit of shredded cheese and sunflower seeds and a light dressing. I make the salad substantial enough that it's usually enough, but I can have something else if I want.

For dinner, whatever I want, I just try to look for wise things... like making sure there are lots of veggies to go with what I am eating or choose chicken instead of beef...or whatnot...

I had been exercising 30-50 minutes a day until 2 weeks ago when I got the crud going around... since then I haven't been able to as much (but I did do yoga last night and hurt this morning)

But the weight just fell off... Again, I know there are hurdles ahead that are going to be slow, but I'm pretty happy and for a change not having a problem sticking with my little program, which is a first in my 35 years....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Hmm... thanks, Nell. Will check out th' site.

It's rather difficult for me to lose weight. I've had horrible eating habits in the past (such as not eating more than once a day, drinking lots of soda, etc) and generally under LOTS of stress ALL the time which I know does NOT help.

Rather desperate to lose weight for multiple reasons.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Th' Pirate Weight Loss Program

When we drink, we get drunk

When we get drunk, we fall asleep

When we fall asleep, we don't eat

When we don't eat, we loose weight

So Lets All Get Drunk And Loose Weight!!

:unsure:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 4 weeks later...

12 lbs down!! and feeling great....I've been riding my bike 11 miles to work each way about 4 days a week. It's not as easy to loose as it was when I was in my 20's....darn hormones!! Still even that 12 lb loss has made a huge difference in my energy levels..50 more to go... I'm trying to focus in 10lbs at a time. Would be happy loosing 10 lbs a month it took me 5 years to gain all this weight, if I can loose half of it in a year I feel like I've gained control over the situation.

I like MadL's it worked in my 20's, only I get mean if I go too long without food. Ask Chrispy.. LOL!

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

yeah ... thats true ... but i actually pedal 90% of the way.. unlike you "Scooter", I hardly use it!

HEY!! your the one who made me get the darn electic one...oh ye of little faith. HARUMPH!!

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

12 lbs down!! and feeling great....I've been riding my bike 11 miles to work each way about 4 days a week. It's not as easy to loose as it was when I was in my 20's....darn hormones!! Still even that 12 lb loss has made a huge difference in my energy levels..50 more to go... I'm trying to focus in 10lbs at a time. Would be happy loosing 10 lbs a month it took me 5 years to gain all this weight, if I can loose half of it in a year I feel like I've gained control over the situation.

You go girl! I'm around 15 or so.... I'm at my first plateau and i figure I will be here for a while.

Doesn't help that hurricane keeps buying cakes to bring into the house....grumble....

I started doing beach walks to boost the body... did 1 1/2 hours today.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I am down 9 since the beginning of the year, 19 since Jan. 2008 - that's with the cake in the house. :lol:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If anyone here is morbidly obese like I was (368 lbs at my heaviest) I can't recommend gastric bypass surgery highly enough. Last summer, at age 51, I had finally had enough of the constant pain and fatigue that went with being so fat for so long. I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on August 21, 2008. It was without a doubt the best decision of my life (well, maybe 2nd, after marrying Red Bess in 1983!) I weighed 316 on the day of surgery, and today I am down to about 235. I have lost 16 inches off my waist, I no longer have sleep apnea, I'm off 2 of my 3 hypertension meds, and I feel 20 years younger! If you want to see some before and after photos, they're on my facebook page. It's not for everyone. Indeed, you must have a BMI of at least 40 to even be considered in most circumstances. But if you are truly dying because of obesity, it can save your life. If you're a type 2 diabetic, (I wasn't, yet) it most cases it cures it immediately. And there's other kinds of surgery. Lap band works a bit differently, but more slowly. And there's big lifestyle changes that are for life. I don't tolerate some foods (mostly high sugar/simple carbs) and I have to take several vitamins and supplements every day for the rest of my life. But the weight just falls off! How could it not, when I am absolutely stuffed, and well-nourished, after a half cup of food?

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but this worked so well for me. If you're considering it, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.