The Charles Towne Few

The Charles Towne Few are home ported in Charles Towne South Carolina, today's Charleston. We cover the period 1690 - 1820, the late Golden Age of Piracy through the War of 1812, with special emphasis on piracy in and around Charles Towne including Blackbeard's blockade in May of 1718, the capture of Stede Bonnet in September of 1718, and operations near Charles Towne by Charles Vane, Christopher Moody and Richard Worley.

Future plans include portraying the crew of Continental Navy ships which operated out of Charleston during the Revolutionary War and the crew of the privateer Saucy Jack which operated out of Charleston during the war of 1812.

I spent two and a half years based outta there while serving the USN. Love the place! Always wanted to get back out there, but I guess the old base is closed now? Lotsa memories from there, James Island, Moultrie, the Windjammer bar out on the beach playing volleyball, (well sorta like volleyball, only drunken sailor rules were enforced), the old downtown market street and the Guvnah's mansion, the Batt'ry. I lived off base in Goose Creek for awhile after I got back from Central America. Maybe someday after I get back to work I'll do a tour of the old south.

Bo

Animal, I hope to have the events calendar up shortly.

Cap'n Bo, Charleston is an great place if you have any interest in history at all. I sailed in here back in December and haven't seen a fraction of what's available yet. I did manage to visit what is called "The Old Provost Dungeon" which is now the cellar of the "Old Exchange". This is part of the "Half Moon Battery which is the location of the building in which Col. Rhett was commissioned to go after pirates, eventually capturing Stede Bonnet. It is also where Stede Bonnet was imprisoned along with his crew. A section of the original seawall which made up "Half Moon Battery is still down there, so you can tread where actual pyrates of the GAoP have tread before.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

THE CHARLES TOWNE FEW:
Captain Edward Lowe a.k.a. Jake Jacobs; edwardlowe@thecharlestownefew.org Ph:803-603-1036. www.thecharlestownefew.org Largest Pirate Crew in South Carolina. 1690-1850. Nautical Events, Historical interpretations, Corporate events, Charity events, Schools, Museums and Private functions. The core crew members are veteran re-enactors, most with 20 yrs.+ experience. We are spread across the State and home-ported in Charleston, S.C. We will follow the sweet trade from Georgia up to North Carolina.
ofr08y.jpg Edited by Bright

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

2014 The Charles Towne Few that is based out of Charleston SC and they meet the third Saturday of the month at Blackbeard's Cove Family Fun Park 3255 Highway 17 North Mt. Pleasant South Carolina 29466 (803) 971-1223

THE CHARLES TOWNE FEW: Captain Alexander Linden Gangefyer (Alex)Ph:843-812-4265. www.thecharlestownefew.org Largest Pirate Crew in South Carolina. 1690-1850. Nautical Events, Historical interpretations, Corporate events, Charity events, Schools, Museums and Private functions. The core crew members are veteran re-enactors, most with 20 yrs.+ experience. We are spread across the State and home-ported in Charleston, S.C. We will follow the sweet trade from Georgia up to North Carolina.

2w4wu9i.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

At the helm of the Charles Towne Few, is the fearsome and seductive Captain Anne Bonny.Although her true origins have been the subject of much speculation, popular belief is that she was born in the spring in County Cork…the offspring of a solicitor and his housemaid, one Mary Brennan.
By 1717, Anne had become a frequent visitor to the taverns where more active pirates often met, making the acquaintance of Captain “Calico Jack” Rackham. The pair soon formed an alliance, and on their ship the Revenge,began a series of forays into the waters of Nassau.

Captain Bonny there after won over the command of the Revengeand the Charles Towne Few due to her fearlessness in battle, and devotion to her crew. Her legend has spread such that many in her native land believe her to be Grace O’Malley reborn, or perhaps a true-life Selkie, as much at home at sea as on land.

294lwnm.png

annbonny@thecharlestownefew.org
843-812-4265

http://www.thecharlestownefew.org

http://blackbeardscove.net

The Charles Towne Few that is based out of Charleston SC and they meet the third Saturday of the month at Blackbeard's Cove Family Fun Park 3255 Highway 17 North Mt. Pleasant South Carolina 29466 (803) 971-1223

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Please join The Charles Towne Few at the old Exchange and dungeon on January 21st for our change of command ceremony. Time will be announced soon. Drop in and meet the crew and new officers for 2017. 122 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401
  Sandy bottoms and the This Pub lasts call  ;-{