Pyrate Artist Trading Card Exchange

Ransom

Artist Trading Cards or ATCs, are small works of art traded among artists. The challenge is to be as creative as possible on a small scale. For more information on ATCs click HERE.

I'm calling the ones we will do PTCs = Pyrate Trading Cards. The artwork will be the same as the journals—anything goes. The BIG difference between the PTCs and the journals, is that there will be no waiting months and months for a book to come back. PTCs are a one-shot deal.

Here is how it will work, if the max of ten people sign on.

1. Each person makes ten cards, one for each player plus themselves — they can all be the same design, or all different.

2. You mail all the cards to me. As the organizer, I will have ten mailing envelopes ready, with each players name & addy on it. As the cards come in, I will divide them among each of the envelopes/players.

3. When all the cards are in to me (I will set a deadline), and divided up, I mail them out to all the players. Along with some extra goodies I intend to include.

4. Each artist then receives a packet containing one PTC from each player, for a total of ten, plus goodies.

Done. From start to finish, it shouldn't take more than a month, or month and a half at most.

You can display the PTCs in small photo albums, frame them as a group, or for those who have already participated in the journal rounds, you can add these to the empty back pages.

So, who wants to play? And remember...it's a QUICK, one-shot deal. No waiting up to a year for a book to come back.

**Maximum number of players changed from twelve to ten, mainly due to logistics and the fact that you can get ten PTCs cut from one standard sheet of card stock.

Edited by Ransom

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, Michael. :rolleyes:

Here is another link with more information. ATCs

The PTCs must be 2 1/2" X 3 1/2". Some craft stores sell sets of blank ones already cut to size. Or you can cut sturdy craft/art paper. Just make sure whatever you use will stand up to having stuff painted or glued to it.

I think regular playing cards are about the right size, and I think they'd be sturdy enough, but you'd need to rough them up a bit. They're pretty slick.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

No problem, Michael. :rolleyes:

Here is another link with more information. ATCs

The PTCs must be 2 1/2" X 3 1/2". Some craft stores sell sets of blank ones already cut to size. Or you can cut sturdy craft/art paper. Just make sure whatever you use will stand up to having stuff painted or glued to it.

Great, let me negotiate with the wife before commmitting... So don't count us in quite yet... But I would lay heavy odds on us being in. :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

We're in.

Most ATC swaps I have been in on the stamping forum I am on, are 10 because you can cut 10 cards perfectly out of one sheet of cardstock. but yeah, playing cards work too and they hold up to having a ton of embellishments loaded up onto them. The downside is you have to paint or cover both sides most of the time. :)

Banner.jpg

Thanks for the link, Kate, and heads up about being able to get ten cards from one sheet of card stock. I think, in that case, I will limit the number of players to ten, to make things easier. I'll go back and edit the intro post. That will also save me a bit of postage costs when I go to mail the cards back out.

So far we have:

1 Ransom

2 Rusty Nell

3 Cpt Sophia M. Eisley

5 Michaelsbagley and Kate Souris

6 Pew

7 Patrick Hand

8 Sjoroveren

9 bbcddutchman

ONE more, and we're good to go! :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thanks for the link, Kate, and heads up about being able to get ten cards from one sheet of card stock. I think, in that case, I will limit the number of players to ten, to make things easier. I'll go back and edit the intro post. That will also save me a bit of postage costs when I go to mail the cards back out.

So far we have:

1 Ransom

2 Rusty Nell

3 Cpt Sophia M. Eisley

5 Michaelsbagley and Kate Souris

6 Pew

7 Patrick Hand

8 Sjoroveren

9 bbcddutchman

ONE more, and we're good to go! :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I'm going to let sign ups go until the end of the week. If no one else has jumped on board by then, we'll go with just nine players. If any of you know of someone who might be interested, give them a shout out. Once sign ups are closed on Friday, I will give a few more instructions, and you will all have to send me your snail mail addys, and I will send you all mine.

I'm thinking three weeks to get the cards done and mailed should give everyone plenty of time.

The fun will begin on Valentine's Day. :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thanks, Michael.

As for theme, yes, I would say pyracy would be the order of the day...but that could include anything to do with ships, treasure, maps, the sea...well, you get the idea. I also might add, that the pyracy theme includes pyrates off all nationalities...think the bretheren court. LOL That should give you lots of ideas to choose from.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Thanks, Michael.

As for theme, yes, I would say pyracy would be the order of the day...

Awwwwwwwww... I wanted to do Strawberries and Champagne for a theme..... crying.gif

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Really? I figured you would want it to be beer. <_<

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Super! But, unfortunately I miss-counted, and we still need one more! :D:D

However, for those who have already signed on, here are some suggestions.

When you go to mail the cards to me, put small pieces of wax paper between each card, so they don't smear or stick together.

Sign each card, so the recipients will know who each artist is. If you sign them on the back, maybe put a small initial on the front, in case someone wants to frame the cards, where the backs wouldn't be visible.

If you wish, put a brief bio on the back of each card. This isn't mandatory, but would be fun.

ALL CARDS MUST BE IN THE MAIL TO ME BY MARCH 1st.

If you finish them right away, go ahead and mail them in. Don't wait until the last minute.

As soon as I have all the cards, I will divide them up and mail them back out to you guys. For this first exchange, I will absorb the cost of return postage. In some exchanges players send postage or pay a small fee. I was afraid asking for a fee or postage would turn potential players away for this first try. So, don't worry about that, because I really don't mind doing it this time. Also, I intend to add goodies, so I'm not sure what the envelopes will end up weighing, but it isn't going to be a huge amount of money. If someone wants to do another exchange later, it is normal to ask for postage or charge a small fee.

***If any artist has not mailed their cards in by the deadline, the PTCs that would have gone to them will be divided up between the other players.

List of artists so far:

1 Ransom

2 Rusty Nell

3 Cpt. Sophia M. Eisley

4 Michaelsbagley & Kate Souris

5 Pew

6 Patrick Hand

7 Sjoroveren

8 bbcddutchman

9 pyrateleather

10 ...?

Wow, found another great web site giving examples of tons of ATCs. Lot's of ideas here, just not pyratey ones. But shows how creative you can get.

Look Here!

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Okay, it looks like we are going with nine players. Michael, you and Kate don't have to break apart the team if you don't wish to. Nine players is fine. Up to you guys.

Here are the last instructions, suggestions. (Thanks again, Kate, for the added info)

1 All cards must be 2 1/2" X 3 1/2"

2 Put your Pub name, and real name on the back of each card. Also a brief bio, if you wish.

3 Put slips of wax paper in between each card so they don't stick together or smear.

4 Put the cards in a small baggie, in case the envelope gets wet during mailing. (Good idea, for this time of year!)

5 Include your real name, Pub name, and mailing address on a slip of paper, included in the envelope with the cards.

6 When you get ready to mail them out, PM me, and I will give you my snail mail address.

7 As soon as all the cards are in to me, I will mail them back out ASAP.

**CARDS MUST BE IN THE MAIL TO ME BY MARCH 1, 2009

Also, as with the journals, let's keep in touch. When you have mailed out a set of cards, post it here, so I can keep a weather eye out for them. I will post when I receive them. I will also post a notice when the cards go back home to you guys.

Actually, it also might be a good idea for all the players to reconfirm that they are in, just to be sure of the number of cards to make.

Now, go out and have fun.....and Happy Valentine's Day to you all! :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Aargh... me mind be a boilin' wit different ideas.....

An' I only get ter do one card.....

Nah....

I wanna do a Patrick Hand Card... a Silas Morgan SkyPyrate card... and a few Candie (Blank fer the last name... because it be funnier that way...)

Guess I'll have ter add som moeny ter cover th' extra shippin'........

Gots th' ideas... now gots ter make em.....

"Save the whales... collect the whole set...."

Okay, remember, everyone makes nine cards, one for each player...unless Michael and Kate split up, then we each make ten.

And, if possible, scan or photo the cards you make before you send them to me. I want to start a PTC photo thread when the exchange is over, and have everyone post pictures of the cards they did, so everyone on the Pub can see how much fun we had!

And, Patrick. No don't worry about the postage. I got that covered this time out. :o

RAKEHELL-1.jpg