Pirates for CHOC 2009...

Iron Bess

I didn't go this year owing to the end time of the event vis-a-vis where I live and work. Just can't get there until its basically over. The last two years I was taking time off from work to attend.

If there is a desire for more pirates to show up and drop some coin into the coffiers, I'd suggest this run 3 pm to Midnight, vs Noon to 9ish. I am not alone in this observation as I ran into more than one lad at Big Bear the next day that said the same.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I didn't go this year owing to the end time of the event vis-a-vis where I live and work. Just can't get there until its basically over. The last two years I was taking time off from work to attend.

If there is a desire for more pirates to show up and drop some coin into the coffiers, I'd suggest this run 3 pm to Midnight, vs Noon to 9ish. I am not alone in this observation as I ran into more than one lad at Big Bear the next day that said the same.

Greydog, I know you are trying to make a helpful suggestion, and that is appreciated. However there are many restrictions that need to be dealt with.

The ending time for the block party portion of the event (9 pm) is due to the fact that the permits for blocking off the street expire at 10 pm. So the block party needs to wind up at 9 pm to give vendors the last hour to pack up and clear off the street before the blockades are removed. The party did not stop at this time though ... most of the party goers moved into Club 195, and some stayed much later in the evening, maybe until closing time.

I remember having this discussion with Evan last year, why the block party on the street couldn't last longer, and he was frustrated that the permits for barricading the street were only good until 10 pm, and we have to clear the street by that time. It's not like there is a huge lot of traffic on that street after 10 pm on a Friday night! It was city personnel that came and took the barricades away precisely at 10 pm, so it probably has to do with how late they are willing to stay to officially reopen the street.

True, having the event later in the day, or even on a weekend, would allow more people to come, and donate more money. However, the event organizers are working with what is available. The event needs to be on a Friday, because the hospital will not allow the actors to come visit the kids on the weekend. The owner of Club 195 (in Anaheim) donates the use of the facilities for free. The city of Anaheim gives street closure permits, but for only until 10 pm.

So pirates ... remember, IT'S A FREE PARTY, with FREE ENTERTAINMENT. Maybe one year wasn't as good as another year in some respects, but better in other respects. Still it was a fun time. I know it is hard for some people to make it, especially with traffic volumes on Friday evenings. Come if you can. Many did. If you couldn't come, maybe you can peruse the multitude of photos from it on MySpace and enjoy it vicariously. It's better to have the event with some people coming, than to have no event at all. Remember ... the main goal is to bring some cheer into the lives of DYING children, and to help raise funds for a worthy cause. And have fun doing it.

I for one would just like to say thanks to those who spent many selfless hours of their own time setting up the event (Evan, Viv, Matt, Sam, and probably several others I'm unaware of), and to the musicians who donated their talents for free (Pirates of the Black Swan, Doxie Chix, The Pirates Charles, Mommy's Little Monsters, ... did I forget anyone?), and to the actors and pirate characters who entertain the children and then came to entertain the pirates at the party though some had to leave early due to other commitments(Treva, Maxie, Vinnie, David, Marty, Scarlett, Talderoy, the Spanish Pirate, several Cap'n Jacks, and lots of others I'm sure I'm leaving out), and to the owner of Club 195 for the venue. Also thanks to all who donated items for the silent auction or just donated monetarily.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Alas I would have loved to attended, but as Jamaica Rose pointed out, Big Bear Pirate Faire was the same weekend and we are commited to their endeavors.

Perhaps next year, the event will not conflict with Big Bear and more vendors and entertainers will be able to attend. I would have loved to bid on some of the POTC auction items. I'm a bit of an addict for that stuff. :unsure:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.