Rum Samples

Capn Bob

I read Bilgemunky's site and decided to go into a little tasting meself.

Here's the one's I've tasted so far:

s3547.jpg

Saint Teresa 1796: Another grande blend. Although a bit heady in the fact that it smacks you in face and then caresses you after feeling bad for a bad first impression. While I sneered a bit initially imbibing this flavor, slowly it wound to a sweet taste; think vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar and very slight reminder of an oak and coffee blend. Not as as goode as previous flavors, but worth the try.

Retail: $45.00

pyrat_reserve.gif

Pyrat XO: Delicious. Best with 3 cubes and a slice of lime.

Official review: Orange and grapefruit marmalade aromas; medium-bodied with tangy flavors of citrus peel and dark honey. Finishes with spice and dried orange peel notes.

My Review: Spot on. Tasty. Almost disappears in the throat. Makes you want to leave it in the mouth for a moment longer. Not a mixer, although it is recommended with the accompanying literature. Comes with a 'Hoti' icon. Patron saint of Bartenders. Excellent.

Retail: $27.00

sailor_jerry_rum.jpg

Sailor Jerry.: Your atypical rum. 92 proof. Spicy, with a hint of cherries. Strong, but very pleasant, surprisingly smooth for such a strong rum. I found it best when mixed with Lemonade, particularly Lemonade gatorade, (don't ask how that happened.) A few of these and you'll wind up on the floor of Sailor Jerry's tattoo shop, or pressganged on a ... wait a minute...

Retail: $18.99

matusalem.jpg

Ron Matusalem's Gran Reserve: Not what I expected. I was ready for the heavy oak infused flavor, but found Ron Matusalem's Gran Reserve to be quite light. No heavy vanilla or spice overtones, it was pefect for an after dinner apertif. Taken as usual with slice of lime and several cubes, it was delicious. After trying the others, i found myself coming back to this one for 'another try'. True to it's nature, this one will find it's way into my flask for Rennfest and other pyratical outings.

Retail: $31.00

Here's a few I have yet to write-up, but will give some basics:

Angostura 1919- A flavor too much of cinnamon

Ron Anejo Pampero Aniversario- Very good, caramel hints

DogFish Head Honey Brown Rum- Extremely sweet, one can easily taste the honey.

Flor de Cana Gold (4 year)- Good. Missing something though, (maybe 8 more years)....

Mount Gay Barbados Extra Old- Drinkable for an off the semi-mid shelf. Good mixer with ginger ale and a lime.

Cockspur- Similar to the Flor de Cana. Not much depth, but reminds you it's a rum.

Cockspur 12yr- A wholly different taste than the original. Definites warms, while soothing with a citrusy vanilla.

Ron Zacapa (Solera 23 year)- the BEST rum I've ever tasted, (and most expensive). Smooth, subtle, delicious. 6oz, neat, in a small glass. Felt like Hemingway for a moment.

Pyrat Pistol- Gah. Leaves alot to be desired. Oddly enough a cousin to the Pyrat XO reserve, which I found extremely tasty.

Ron Matusalem Clasico (10 yr): Expecting it to be as good as the Gran Reserva, I was a bit disappointed. Very good, nonetheless I was waiting for the original feel I got when trying its older brother. Lighter than its sibling, it needed a bit of oomph.

Appleton Estate 12: Very good. Dark, mysterious. Like getting lost in a sugarcane plantation at the height of a VooDoo ceremony. Like the Priestess, she too was smooth and sweet. While a twist off cap usually puts me off, the fragrant smell of caramel and oak made me dive deeper. But this time, I did not wake up in a coffin.

nerbz.gif

Again, these are only my opinions... and we know what opinions are like...

lmao.jpg

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• 2 months later...
Rum Barbancort (Haiti) - medium coloring, like a fine cognac, smooth, not quite as sugary as the Zacapa above

Drinking this as I type. It's pretty good. I prefer a little sweeter. Maybe I'll go back for seconds and taste more closely this time around

:blink:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Barbancourt makes a very nice line of rums. Their 15year - 5 star rum is one of my favorites and at 40 bucks, it's a pretty good deal.

$40 is a very good deal for a 15 year rum.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

pyrat_reserve.gif

Pyrat XO: Delicious. Best with 3 cubes and a slice of lime.

Official review: Orange and grapefruit marmalade aromas; medium-bodied with tangy flavors of citrus peel and dark honey. Finishes with spice and dried orange peel notes.

My Review: Spot on. Tasty. Almost disappears in the throat. Makes you want to leave it in the mouth for a moment longer. Not a mixer, although it is recommended with the accompanying literature. Comes with a 'Hoti' icon. Patron saint of Bartenders. Excellent.

Retail: $27.00

I would whole heatedly agree, with the exception of adding the lime. This is my favorite rum and I have spent many years trying to find a better one, believe me. ;)

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.