Rum Samples

Capn Bob

As I am new to the wonderful world of rum, I'm searching for a label that suits my tastes. And since I don't wish to blow near $20.00 (or more) on a full size bottle, I am wondering if the company may know of sources wherein I might obtain sample bottles of rum. I already have a couple of Myers Dark, and would like to find some Appleton and Mount Gay. Can anyone help?

Damn, thats sharp!

Go to Beverages and More - near the check out area they usually have a revolving round shelf thingy with wee bottles of spirits. Usually one of the layers is full of rum - it tends toward the low to mid-grade stuff. To sample the good stuff you'll need to go to one of your better bars. I recommend the Pyrat rums, although I am particular to Cruzan's Black Strap rum.

RHJMap.jpg

I'm a devoted Blackstrapper too... so much so that I don't need to try other rums...

:o:lol::huh::D;)

Capn Bob... does your local liquor store sell miniatures? You know, the teeny little bottles behind the counter? I doubt there would be great selection, but it would give you a place to start. Then again... how can you know if you really like a rum without downing the whole bottle? :lol:

The only good solution to your dilemma is to go to an event, and sample other pirates' rums.

:lol::lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

There's a rum bar in Key West where you can sample hundreds of rums...I tried one there it was an awesome rum liqueur and I got the crew hooked on it. RUM JUMBIE!! ....its often a battle cry! LOL

It has tropical fruit undertones and is slightly sweet (it is a liqueur after all) it's scrumptious and it comes in a great bottle.... after a few bottles of the JUMBIE your tempted to take Aunt Jemima out of the cabinet and have her front the band. here's the site so you can get a look at the bottle. It's a nice treat once and a while. I'm pretty sure its the sugar content combined with the alcohol that helps to release the jumbies...

RUM JUMBIE

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Yeah, for Cruzans Black Strap Rum. It be all we drink. In fact we even put 'er on our pancakes and French Toast. Makes for baked goods with some AUTHORITY!

We calls the stuff 'prune juice' for its resemblence to that vile liquid, but I assures ye that its the finest rum at a resonable price ! Yes yer Pyrate Rum and Elitist Rum and whatever shitist Rum be smoother or stronger or have fancy fruit flavors, but only Black Strap has the Molassess taste! And at $15.00 a bottle, well yer inner pirate deserves this!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Thank the gods Montgomery County Maryland chose to run the liquor stores themselves when prohibition ended. I can walk to the county store during lunch and pick up a bottle for $9!!!

(where's the old gun shootin' smilie we used to have when ya need it...)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

As I am new to the wonderful world of rum, I'm searching for a label that suits my tastes. And since I don't wish to blow near $20.00 (or more) on a full size bottle, I am wondering if the company may know of sources wherein I might obtain sample bottles of rum. I already have a couple of Myers Dark, and would like to find some Appleton and Mount Gay. Can anyone help?

If you want the highest authority on rum like you're speakin' with the man upstairs..... toss a PM to Bilgemunky. I'm sure he can suggest a rum that is the most bang fer yer buck!

I mean it's all the bugger does now. Tastes rums and attach stars to their names. :rolleyes:

I found this a while back. I don't remember where or when.

Ah, Rum, also known as Rumbustion, Rumbullion, Rhum, Ruma and Kill Devil; it was the drink of choice (although pirates generally were not all that picky). The fact was that rum was plentiful and cheap in the Caribbean. It, also, had the benefit of not going 'off ' as fast onboard ship as beer or wine would.

Anguilla Rums, Planters Gold Pyrat XO Reserve (Anguilla, British West Indies) - dark amber coloring, smells of berries with a sweet butterscotch like flavor, good for sipping or mixing, distinctive bottle if you are into bottles

Appleton Estate (Jamaica) - medium amber coloring, not quite the smoothness or complexity I enjoy in a sipping rum, it still offers good flavors when mixed in a Mai Tai

Bacardi, Superior (Puerto Rico) - clear coloring, slight sweetness to the taste, not at its best sipped straight, this rum is best for mixing, I recommend using it in a 1:1 ratio with a dark full flavored rum when putting together a rum drink of your choosing

Captain Morgan, Private Stock (Puerto Rico) - I know Captain Morgan, mass produced swill right? Not so the Private Stock, it is very smooth, perfect for sipping neat, I would not waste this in a mixed drink, dark amber coloring

Cruzan Black Strap Rum (St.Croix, U.S.V.I.) - nice dark rich coloring, very sweet flavor with strong molasses scent and flavor, I could see sipping this one neat or mixing it

Cruzan Estate Dark Rum (St.Croix, U.S.V.I.) - caramel coloring, sweet brandy like smell, suitable for sipping neat, but I prefer it as a mix

Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum (St.Croix, U.S.V.I.) - amber coloring, somewhat more refined than the above Estate Dark, as such it is more of a choice for sipping neat, I still consider this one suitable for mixing on occasions when I want a little more refined flavor in my mixes

Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Black Rum (Bermuda) - rich dark color and flavor, a little harsher than the Morgan Private Stock above, but still good sipping neat, would mix well in drinks calling for dark rum

Havana Club, 7 Añejo (Cuba) - where to start, of the rums I have tasted, this puts all of the others to shame, smooth only begins to describe it; this rum is for sipping, it would be a waste to dilute it in a mixed drink; rich amber in color, the sugar of the cane drifts in as you savor each sip [for now, I can only dream of what the 15 Añejo must taste like]

Myers's Rum, Original Dark (Jamaica) - rich dark color and flavor, strong molasses flavor, but good sipping neat, mixes well in drinks calling for dark rum

Mount Gay Eclipse Rum (Barbados) - touted as the oldest of all rum brandings, light amber color, good sipping neat although a tad harsh, but better mixed as a light rum

Pampero, Ron Añejo, Aniversario Reserva Exclusiva (Venezuela) - dark color and strong flavor, very, very woody, fairly good sipping neat, mixes very well in drinks calling for dark rum [the woodiness gives a nice extra dimension to a Mai Tai]

Pusser's Rum (British Virgin Islands) - purported to be the recipe the British navy used for some 300 years until 1970 (Black Tot Day) when the practice of a daily rum ration was discontinued. Strong stuff, 95.5 proof (most rum is only 80 proof), burns on the way down if drunk neat, nice amber color, mixes well

Ron Zacapa Centenario, 23 years (Guatemala) - medium coloring, a smooth rum with a rich sugary scent, an excellent choice for sipping

Rum Barbancort (Haiti) - medium coloring, like a fine cognac, smooth, not quite as sugary as the Zacapa above

Sea Wynde (Jamaica & Guyana) - light amber color, over proofed at 92, this rum is a bit harsh if drunk straight, it fairs better as a mixer

Aye! SEA WYNDE!! 'n do naught let them deprive yer pallet, it taste just fine STRAIGHT from th' bottle!

Appleton be a fine rum as well, 'n Pussers. Ron Matusalem Cuban rum as well, but not th' Gran Reserva, it cost more but not as good.

But ye can naught go wrong with Sea Wynde, 'n if ye find ye dont's like it then just toss th' rest my way :D

BUT DO NAUGHT MIX IT - fowling good rum will get ye toss'd overboard! :D

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I mixed the last of my Sea Wynde with the last of my Ron Zacapa 23 50/50 not too long ago. I haven't tasted anything like it! The best I've ever had really. But I have to agree that Sea Wynde is very good alone if you like good whiskey too. Sea Wynde has that "Kentucky Windage" I like in a good bourbon. Matusalem 10 yr. old is really good too. I use either Goslings Black Seal, or Myers when I mix up a batch of "Apple Pie" for the holidays or anytime I get the urge.

Bo

The Rum Barrel is attached to the pirate soul museum, the PIP pirate olympic events drinking and chess were held there this year. There is a rum menu available online, although they often have selections not found on the website.

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

I found me some online sources of 50 ml sample bottles, with a great variety of labels, so now all I have to do is figure out which labels I want to try first.

I been thinking about rum too much...had a dream about it a few nights ago. Luckily, it was good rum.

Damn, thats sharp!

(raises hand)

Cap'n i too be a PYRAT fan

smooth as silk!!

but a bit pricey-@ $30

sippin' qualitytongue.gif

:]GS

Wow, I keep hear'n that, I pay naught but $26 for th' large bottle 'n only $14 for th' half size bottle. Perhaps it be for th' clerks at me local rum store say it be their favorite at well, so I know who t' yell at when I find th' half size all gone :o

(raises hand)

Cap'n i too be a PYRAT fan

smooth as silk!!

but a bit pricey-@ $30

sippin' qualitytongue.gif

:]GS

Wow, I keep hear'n that, I pay naught but $26 for th' large bottle 'n only $14 for th' half size bottle. Perhaps it be for th' clerks at me local rum store say it be their favorite at well, so I know who t' yell at when I find th' half size all gone :blink:

Stock up mate!

Yeah depending on which side of the mason-dixon line I stop it goes from 29-$31

Tall slim 1/2's about 15

As they say .. You get what he pays fer. :)

I stop by Beverages and More - occasionally they have Pyrat XO for under $20 and Pistol at two for $19.95.

BTW, Appleton seems more like brandy than rum, even the older stuff; I drank plenty when I was in Jamaica. And Mount Gay Eclipse is pretty good - one of the sweeter rums.

Edited by Red-Handed Jill

RHJMap.jpg

Price depends on the liquor laws and tax structure of your state. Missouri is a "three-tier-system" which translates to more middle-men= more taxes. Plus, I live in hillbilly hell, and trying to find anything good is a trial all by itself. If you like milwaukees best, that is what is called beer around here. :rolleyes: Rum choices without driving sixty miles or more is bacardi, or Captain Morgans aftershave. I know some folks like it but I ain't one of em! :rolleyes:

Bo

I mixed the last of my Sea Wynde with the last of my Ron Zacapa 23 50/50 not too long ago. I haven't tasted anything like it! The best I've ever had really. But I have to agree that Sea Wynde is very good alone if you like good whiskey too. Sea Wynde has that "Kentucky Windage" I like in a good bourbon.

I stumble'd upon this wee mix one time when I had a bad cold, tried it again after I was better and it Still tasted GRAND!

Tis a wonderful concoction on a cold rainy (or snowy) night in front o' a rage'n fire (but then again, that tis what they make wenches for :rolleyes: )

Firstly: Take some Chaucer's Raspberry Mead ('bout $12) 'n heat it up good plenty, but do Not boil.

Secondly: Mix in a good stout shot o' Sea Wynde.

Thirdly: Swirl th' tankard around in yer hand t' mix th' magic.

Fourthly: When cool'd enough t' sip then sit before th' fire 'n enjoy.

Th' glorious fumes from this concoction tis also quite sooth'n t' inhale while too hot t' sip, great t' clear them sinuses when in battle with a cold, warms ye t' toes on a cold night when he be feel'n fine!

:rolleyes:

I have to put in a little plug for Ron Atlantico's Private Cask. I brought a bottle with me to PiP last year and it never came close to making it home. I don't believe it lasted past Saturday...It's a blended rum that goes through several casks, including the solero process of aging. It's a rich amber color, isn't too hot on the palette and manages a certain sweetness without being cloying or uncomplicated. It's got dusky undertones for a caramel finish. Alas, as I understand, you can currently only get this particular bottle if you live in South Florida or find a place on the 'net willing to ship.

wow! .. now there's a descprition!!!

did you minor in marketing :]tongue.gif

*pssst* Scotty, that naught be th' rum she be describe'n rather that be th' rouge she woke up with th' next morn

If'n ye be in th' Nor Cal area then check this one out!

I'm pleased to announce that the San Francisco Ministry of Rum Festival will be April 27, 2009. More information can be found at http://www.ministryofrum.com/sf2009.php

Tickets will go on sale March 1, 2009.