CDs - traditional songs

Wartooth

Well now, let me see. Tom Lewis has several CDs out with traditional chanteys, and can be checked out at www.tomlewis.net. Broadside has a CD of traditional chanteys, two of which have been loaded in the mp3 forum under sea shanties here, and can be ordered by sending an email to broadsidedivas@yahoo.com. William Pint and Felicia Dale have several wonderful CDs out; check 'em out at www.pintndale.com. This is only the tip of the maritime music iceberg, but all are worth a listen.

By the by, if anyone's on the east coast, Tom is doing several concerts there in March. As one-fifth of Broadside, I'll be there as well, backing him up. It'd be lovely to see a few o' me fellow pirates.

Fair winds,

Trapper

:D

Captain of the Tinker's Damn

As always I have to plug Kilbrannan:

www.kilbrannan.com

Kirk's solo CD, Eye of the Storm, is available on their website and is sea themed.  A lot of traditional tunes and a couple of great originals.  Seriously...check them out.

* :o *

blackeye susan

That wouldn't by any chance be Kirk from 7Nations, would it?

Nope, I guess not.

:o

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

If ye be looking for somethin' on the bawdy side you could try the Poxy Boggards, they have many traditional drinking songs and a few shanties as well (and of course, sometimes ye can't tell the difference).

http://www.poxyboggards.com/

Ye could also try "Shanties and Songs of the Sea"- the one with Johnny Collins featured, and there is also "Blow Boys Blow" with Ewan MacColl. Both are all a cappella shanties cds, spanning over some time so you may find a coupke in the time frame that ye be looking for.

If ye be looking for somethin' on the bawdy side you could try the Poxy Boggards, they have many traditional drinking songs and a few shanties as well (and of course, sometimes ye can't tell the difference).

http://www.poxyboggards.com/

Ye could also try "Shanties and Songs of the Sea"- the one with Johnny Collins featured, and there is also "Blow Boys Blow" with Ewan MacColl. Both are all a cappella shanties cds, spanning over some time so you may find a coupke in the time frame that ye be looking for.

Thanks ladies and gents. All fine suggestions. I just ordered "Shanties and Songs of the Sea" via Amazon, as I had a couple of other book orders to make. I will keep all the other CDs in mind, however, for future purchase.

Wartooth

• 2 months later...

Fer fun songs and great harmonies, try the Thryce Wycked Wenches new CD, "TNT":

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/tf.aspx?tf=81616

It's dynamite! B) These naughty-cal, bawdy lasses are wonderful to behold in performance as well.

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

If it's bawdy songs ye be after, "Pilots of Tiger Bay" have a great release, available on either tape or cd. Email andrea@eskimo.com for more information. It has wonderful songs, such as the shanty, "When the Alabama's Crew Got Laid" (Roll, Alabama, Roll) and "Beer Maids of Valhalla".

Fair winds,

Trapper

I like the few songs that 3 Pints Gone has on their CD- Of Moose and Men. Very nice acapella singing. There are a few songs on it.

Another one is The Jolly Rogers or the Corsairs. Both are good listening music...

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mornin' mates!!

Me'n cabin boy Will were at the Tom Lewis CD release party at Allen's in Toronto a couple of months back. It was the first time I'd heard him, he was great, especially since TANGLEFOOT (men with long hair, oh baby!)

was there singing harmonies for him!!

His new CD is called 360 degrees all points of the compass, and it's alot of fun.

(So is TANGLEFOOT, I heartily recommend you get all their CD's and see them live!! www.tanglefootmusic.com)

For some traditional songs put to more modern sounding music, I'd suggest Great Big Sea. Especially their 'Rant and Roar' CD has a lot of traditional songs. There's also the piratical music groups, such as the Bilge Pumps, Corsairs, and Jolly Rogers. I know there's a few more out there, but I know and like these groups. Glenn Yarbrourgh's CD titled 'Chantyman' is full of great shanties, and he has a very soothing voice to go with it. Broadsides is a great group, though I kind of prefer their predecessor, Saint Elmo's Choir. I think they're only out on tape, though, but it is definitely a great one.

Trapper, just out of curiosity, is that the Lady's rigging behind you? Also, were you at the shanty sing last Friday at the Wawona?

Coastie :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I agree, it's a great CD! And not just because the sea chantey group I'm in, Broadside, was backing him up on 2 songs. :ph34r:

Trapper

You are a member of Broadsides!! That is way cool!

I am a HUGE Tanglefoot fan, and went to Tom Lewis' cd release party to see them, but now I'm a Tom Lewis fan too. He sang a polish version of Stan Roger's 'Northwest Passage', after his performance, it was great!

I've bought myself a mandolin because of T'foot's inspiration, (love the long-haired laddies!)

Tom let out his queue, it became a mullet!! What a character!

Ah, yes, St. Elmo's Choir. Unfortunately, one of the members owned the name, and when she blew up the band, we had to come up with something else. We toyed with "Grace Darlings" for awhile, but everyone thought we were saying "Gray Starlings", and well, let's not advertise that we're all getting older, eh? ;-) There were 2 St. Elmo's tapes, "Syrens" and "White Stocking Day".

Yep, I was at the sing on Friday, since Broadside was leading it. There were only two of us Broads to lead, but we made up for it in sheer volume. And yes, we were on the Lady for our pictures. Carol, on the left (aka Queen of Puget Sound) was married on her.

Oh, and if you like the Polish "NW Passage", you might pick up "Poles Apart". Tom does shanteys, including that one, with a Polish shantey group, and it's a fantastic CD.

Fair winds,

Trapper

I'll have to look out for "White Stockings Day". Hopefully next time I'm home on leave I'll be able to drop on by again. The singing was great, by the way

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

So which one were ye? I was the one in riding boots an' spurs, singin' "It's All Part o' Bein' a Pirate".

If ye can't find "White Stocking Day" (and it's been sold out forever), let me know and I'll copy it to a CD for ye. I've had a hankerin' t' use the new recorder I've got. It's supposed to record from LP and tape both onto CD, so we'll see.

This weekend, it's Victory Sings at Sea, and don't forget the NW Folklife Festival! Saturday, from 2-6, is the sea chantey concert. Should be an absolute blast, with Pint and Dale, Broadside, the Cutters and lots more. June's going to be a great month for concerts! Tom Lewis will be playing on June 19th.

for more info: www.nwseaport.org, www.nwfolklife.org

Fair winds,

Trapper

I've never heard of "Howlin' Gael" but I'll look into it. I'm always looking for interesting music.

Lately I've been listening to Le Vent du Nord, Zubot & Dawson, Tanglefoot, and Red Hot CHili Peppers...oh and Tannahill Weavers. All different from each other, but I highly recommend them all. Really good stuff. Especially Tanglefoot, for the mandolin player, *sigh*

I'm always looking for interesting music.

Aye m'lass here be sumthin interesting for ye.

I know it be old now by Canadian standards.

M'lady's late Grandfather left her all his LP records.

He's got lotsa fam up in Nova Scotia.

One of his records was from the old Pig N' Whistle tv show.

Theres another thats similar but I can't remember the guys name right off. Then theres one more thats got traditional sea songs and others from New Foundland, like Iy's the Bye and all that.

All 3 are very Irish and Irish inspired. The Pig N' Whistle band really cooks.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

• 3 months later...
For some traditional songs put to more modern sounding music, I'd suggest Great Big Sea. Especially their 'Rant and Roar' CD has a lot of traditional songs. There's also the piratical music groups, such as the Bilge Pumps, Corsairs, and Jolly Rogers. I know there's a few more out there, but I know and like these groups.

Ohhhh aye. Great Big Sea be amazin'. They have some great songs, that while not being blatantly piratical put yer in the mood. O' me fav'rites be French Perfume, wot be abou' a ghostly smuggler, and John Barbour, which they've done a grand job of updatin'. Oh, and Barque's on the Harbor is a good one o' theirs as well. Romantic tis. I be a sucker fer that

:ph34r:

Pirate Jenny is amusing too.