Welcome to the "Empty Keg"

michaelsbagley

Welcome all,

We're still getting set up, but this will be the sub-forum for discussing brewing, mead making, wine making, etc. etc. This will be for all makers of fine beverages (and beginners too) whether you are using modern methods or trying to recreate historical methods.

Why the "Empty Keg"? Because the discussions are about what to do to fill the kegs up (barrels, casks etc.) ... Make something to put into the keg.

Here's to some good discussions, shared recipes and any other topical conversation that are to be had! :angry:

Michael_banner.jpg

Sounds interesting Michael. I made some quick mead once. It was quite good after about 6 months, but when you opened a bottle half it's contents foamed away. In another thread I saw where you could buy a small keg and make your own rum. Problem was it wasn't really rum. You added essence of rum to vodka. Not good! If there be a way to make real rum, now that I'd be interested in matey.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Thank you Michael for starting this topic!

Currently I have in bulk aging 6 gallons of oaked cider, 5 gallons of oaked apfelwein, 3 gallons of oaked mead, 1 gallon of mead without oak, and a gallon of cherry sack. The cider, which will be sparkling, and the apfelwein, which will be still, will be bottled in a couple of weeks. After that, I'll be brewing up a batch of the Quartermaster's Reserve Oaked Ale and an Imperial IPA.

Cheers mates!

I'm currently brewing a robust porter and plan on bottling it in the next day or so. Just last week my wife and I bottled her second English IPA (for a traditional IPA, I highly recommend Meantime IPA). Haven't tried it yet, but the first one was great. Occasionally, we also make limoncello, a lemon flavored liquer. Within a week or so, we're probably going to make a heffeweissen. In our closet, we have a selection of some of our more recent beers, including coffee porter, american stout, nut brown ale, curry heffeweissen, barleywine, and belgian golden strong ales.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

After that, I'll be brewing up a batch of the Quartermaster's Reserve Oaked Ale and an Imperial IPA.

Cheers mates!

DIBS!!!!

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

lady constance made some plum wine over the summer... thought she was nuts... turned out pretty good...

very nice alchohol content :)

I once made some plum wine in my college days. I made the mistake of leaving a bottle where my room mates could find it. Vengeance was mine, though. Besides being tasty, it was a very effective laxative.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

• 6 years later...