PROPER HEADGEAR?

greetins' me fellow seafarers!

my question(tis me first ..so bear wit me please) is what

a proper pirate wore atop his head?

i know headscarves are debatable..tis tricorns the norm?

plain or were some fancy with satin edging?

saw in gents of fortune -black-grey and brown twar common..

believe i once saw a photo from a museum of..if memory is correct

dutch sailors with straw tricorns- true that be?

what is ye opinion-what tis acceptable to ye ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the Monmouth caps. For cooler weather they are the best! GoF had some for sale at one time, an I have one. Silk "doo-rags" of solid colors are a good and inexpensive investment as well. A wool-felt hat can be made into any number of PC designs, not necessarily a Tricorn, but can be floppy or pinned on one side. Linen watch caps, or workmans caps are yet another option. What is your main interst as far as your portrayal? Who ya gonna be?

Bo

Don't forget the Monmouth caps. For cooler weather they are the best! GoF had some for sale at one time, an I have one. Silk "doo-rags" of solid colors are a good and inexpensive investment as well. A wool-felt hat can be made into any number of PC designs, not necessarily a Tricorn, but can be floppy or pinned on one side. Linen watch caps, or workmans caps are yet another option. What is your main interst as far as your portrayal? Who ya gonna be?

Bo

oi...wot he said....

some head coverings wouldnt be proper for certain impressions.....some would set the character perfectly......

so i recon the first question is....:who you want to be?? :D

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Bo

oi...wot he said....

some head coverings wouldnt be proper for certain impressions.....some would set the character perfectly......

so i recon the first question is....:who you want to be?? :D

looter-raider-head breaker!

oooo?

gotcha-gotta think it thru 1st-good advice gents!

i'm tryin get wet hind ye ears :]

so each and every has a place on the crew..

and i need ta learn the ropes so let me start as

a general laborer on thy crew

workin' on gatherin' a simple outfit ta start..

got me shirt-headscarf-sash-waitin on me slops

that led to my question about the straw tricorn-museum illustration

i saw-seemed the crew was wearing lot of-but think were dutch??

let me assure ye kind sirs i'm all ears-i want ta learn :]

thank ye' in advance for any a suggestion! :] GS

One more time... the wooly-buggar Monmouth cap-(I gotta get some new pics, this one is even gettin old to ME!)

pyrate2.jpg

Look for the "You in your garb" thread. You'll see lotsa variety there as well, or try the photo thread from Pirates in Paradise too.

Don't be afraid to ask, there are plenty of folks here willing to help.

Bo

Anyone have any easy-to-find sources for info on those linen caps? I'd like to find me a pattern...

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

oh... and there's my unfinished article on hats... written a couple years ago... I have no idea what it says, but I recall there are a bunch of illustrations of period hats...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/articles/hats/hats01.html

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

There is also the thrum cap, as sported by Scurvy Hanna on our left.

lh06005.jpg

ok...i know i asked this before....but where did scurvy Hanna git the thrum??....i am lookin for a pattern....or a dealer.....tried to contact the one in United Kigdom...no reply...

can a monmouth be altered into a thrum???

ok...i know i asked this before....but where did scurvy Hanna git the thrum??....i am lookin for a pattern....or a dealer.....tried to contact the one in United Kigdom...no reply...

If you did, I didn't see it. My apologies. He got his thrum cap from a woman we know who does sutlering... and what her shop is called totally escapes my mind at present. I'll dig through my stuff and find and email address and send it your way.

Good question. I suppose one might be able to... technically it is just the left over bits (thrum) from the loom attached to some sort of knitted base. One site that I was able to find suggested the following as a reference, "17th Century Knitting Patterns - As Adapted for Plimoth Plantation."

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Some people will doubtless tell you that 'that's not how thrum hats were made', but since we don't have any extant ones to my knowledge, the matter is wide open for debate. I've made several thrum hats using a monmouth cap as a base. Two tips: 1. Use a rug hook, it's by far the easiest way of attaching the thrums; 2. make sure that the hat you start with is a little too big, as the hat will shrink slightly with the addition of the thrums.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I don't know if a monmouth can be modified, but when I made a thrum cap, I started by knitting a monmouth cap, and every 3 to 4 stitches, worked a half hitched 6" to 8" chunk of yarn on the "working yarn" into the cap. I made the cap almost twice as large as I wanted it finished and then felted it by running it through the washing machine and drier on hot....

The biggest problem with a thrum cap is that it it way too hot to ever wear (even in Winter)... and people keep asking you about a "Bad hair day"..... :blink:

I don't know if a monmouth can be modified, but when I made a thrum cap, I started by knitting a monmouth cap, and every 3 to 4 stitches, worked a half hitched 6" to 8" chunk of yarn on the "working yarn" into the cap. I made the cap almost twice as large as I wanted it finished and then felted it by running it through the washing machine and drier on hot....

The biggest problem with a thrum cap is that it it way too hot to ever wear (even in Winter)... and people keep asking you about a "Bad hair day"..... :blink:

yah...but since me "golden locks" were stolenat PiP....been needin a "welsh wig"...or a foppy one...to look presentable again....

Anyone have any easy-to-find sources for info on those linen caps? I'd like to find me a pattern...

Sorry, meant to adress this in the last post...

Try Smoke-n-Fire company, or James Townsend & Sons. They both offer ready-made, and I'm pretty certain S&F has patterns.

Bo

Don't forget the "Peter the Great" as a hat option as well if you want a knitted hat with a brim.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I couldn't find the patterns... Has anyone tried to make one before? Or have any good pictures/ sketches?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle