PROPER HEADGEAR?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of...???

Oh sorry.. The linen caps...

Reconstructing History has a pattern for them... But unless there are a few more items included in that pattern that woukld be of use to you, that would likely not be a good option pricewise. This is an item I have not found a "free" pattern for to scale or draft up... But that does not mean it doesn't exist.

Michael_banner.jpg

Ooh I have that pattern. I'll have to check that one out.

Ooops... No... My error... I hadn't read back and failed to realize it was the linen workman's cap this was about and not the women's style hoods.

The RH pattern DOES NOT include the workman's cap that I know of. Sorry about the misunderstanding on my part.

Michael_banner.jpg

I love those Monmouth . They are also on my "to make" list. (I was a knitter and crocheter before I could sew. lol)

Alright, this pattern is for a doll's hat, but is this sort of what it looks like? I was looking at the ready made cap on Smoke and Fire, but couldn't really tell where the seams were. :-/

Thanks!!

Edited by LadyBrower

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

of...???

Oh sorry.. The linen caps...

You'd think it would be easy to find a freebie online... I did find simple instructions...

A workman's cap is the cheapest to make: Take medium weight cloth and cut four eye-shaped pieces. Each should be wide enough at the middle to go a quarter of the way around your head (plus a 1/2 inch seam allowance at each side). Each should be long enough to go from wherever you want the edge of the cap to the top of your head, plus one inch for the brim, plus twice that whole amount so you have both inside and lining. If you have a baseball cap, you can use that as a guide, but a workmans's cap should sit a little looser on your head -- it should sit a little lower and stick up a little higher -- so the pieces should be a bit longer. Sew them together into a football shape, leaving one seam open for a couple of inches. Turn the cap right side out through the gap and sew the gap closed. Make one end of the "football" into the lining by pushing that end up into the other. Fold up an inch of the edge for a brim and stick it on your head. The simplest way to find out how to curve the pieces is to cut rectangles at first, pin them together, stick them on your head, move the pins in until you like the fit, and then cut a little outside of the pins (for the seam allowance).

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

Drat... I thought I bookmarked it (i might have.. just can't find it right now) but there is a knitting pattern on how to make a Manmouth cap.... I like how the brim is made.... Now I'm not really much of a knitter... Hey. the first and only thing I have knitted have been a few caps.... SO maybe tomorrow when the rum is outta me brain, I'll see if I can find the instructions again.......

Awh ... heck... If I can learn how to knit, and make a cap.... someone wot knows wot they are doing, can do a much better job of it....

And someone wot is just learning an' wants ter make a cap, can't boggle it to much.......

Making ... knittin' a cap has enough "wiggle room" that it's a great project.....

An' besides... we gots 'nough Pyrates wot be wearin' cocked hats........

Michael (et all)-

RH 713 DOES include a pattern for the workman's style cap. I've used it with great success but that shouldn't surprise anyone :lol:

Patrick-

Is this the monmouth pattern you were thinking of?

Mara Riley Knitting Patterns

Mara's patterns are fantastic. Good enough that I have the entire collection despite not being able to knit myself out of a tangled ball of yarn.

HTH.

Chole

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Michael (et all)-

RH 713 DOES include a pattern for the workman's style cap. I've used it with great success but that shouldn't surprise anyone :lol:

Chole

Thanks Chole, ever since I had that conversation with Kass at RF5, I've been meaning to come back to this thread to correct that.

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh I did come across that pattern. =) It's bookmarked in my favorites. It's very nice looking and when I have the time I am going to give it a shot.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

That looks great! I haven't gotten into felting yet, but I'm going to have to give it a try.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, the HMCA did come up with a great Boarding Cap mockup based on th 1812 designs from Gilkerson's Boarders Away. I have one and Steve Huff in maryland has the other. I can try to post a pic if interested..

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

here are but a few....styles for examples

dogge.jpg

PC042701.jpg

316.jpg

I gotta say that Capt. Sterling has one of the greatest hats! I always think "Solomon Kane" when I see his photos (I know that Howard character was almost 200 years earlier but still!).