Stays ~

Mary Diamond

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey did you order by the Pound?

And was half round or Half oval more PC? I always thought half round was more correct.

Neither, I think someone pointed out that the only period evidence we have is for the use of baleen... Although there isn't proof they didn't use reed or other materials... I think reed is used as a close approximation of balleen for affordabiltiy and the legalities of whaling in the modern world.

As for shape.... I've nopt seen any info about that.... I think the ghalf round has a lower profile and is probably more comfortable, but the flat oval would likely be more durable? I don't think it matters much which you go with, after all it is inside, and who is going to see it? I've heard of people using plastic zip ties (cable ties) to good effect, I wouldn't have known that was what they were using had they not confided the fact to me.

And yes, I ordered by the pound... two pounds

Michael_banner.jpg

I ordered by the pound.

That's a great question Jack. Comparing the half round to the half oval, they are both the same size but the round is thicker. While the oval has a slight curve, the half round is well, half round. Can't think of another way to put that. :D In my opinion, if you wanted more support, the half round would certainly do that. I have no idea which is more appropriate to use. Perhaps it's a matter of purpose. If you wanted more flexibility and wanted the stays to look flatter, then I would use the half oval. hmmm, another thing to look into further.

I would love to hear more opinions on this one.

As a side note, both sets of fancy stays I'm working on, Cheeky's and mine, I used full round. I'm a little curious as to the feel of it while on the body for a long period of time. I've been joking that it's a little like body armor. :lol:

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Well, as promised, I am back in the stays thread! =P I was wondering, is there any evidence of strapless stays in the GAoP? I haven't seen any myself, but I know there seem to be Elizabethan strapless corsets, and of course they come later as well. Just curious.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

• 2 weeks later...
Question for you stay makers. How are you sewing your binding on?

By hand... No seriously, even the set of stays I made with the machine, I tried doing the edge binding by machine, but it was actually easier (albeit slower) to do it by hand.

Michael_banner.jpg

back stitch the binding on by hand on the front, then fold over the edges and whip stitch closed by hand on the inside

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've been doing it just how the good Captain suggested. I tried a few different ways (my rantings are in one of these "Stays" threads...) and it simply didn't work at all... I was using 1/4 inch double fold bias tape, or most recently I just cut 1 inch wide strips out of the linen I was using and pressed it. That worked the best, it was actually smoother around the curves than the bias tape.

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

LadyBrower are you cutting it on the Bias?

And yes the first set of stays I made I ended up sewing the binding on by hand. I just want to know what the method the everyone was using. Thanks all!

I didn't actually, because I was running out of fabric, but it still worked famously.