The Columbia’s Revenge

Patrick Hand

I started working on the text to "Columbia's Revenge Identification cards (as issued by the Republic of California)

I figgure I will print some out to give away at Nor. Cal.and then either post the files so anyone else can make their own, or just go the PM and snail mail route.... They will be loosely based on WWII US Identification Cards, I just had to finish the text and decide what color to use for the outside of them....

Approximate text.....so far...

Be it known that name:______________________________ us operating as a legally acknowledged crew member under a letter of Margue; and any adjustments, aboard the Airship ______________ by the Republic of California. And is to be provided with the rights and protection as a recognized military combatant of and for the Republic of California as granted by the Articles of War, the Geneva Convention and the Grant/Hays Agreement of 1872.

Why are they from the Republic of California?...... well.... that's where I live,.... and.... I'm making this really cool flag....

CAFlag.gif

It's one of the accounts of what the original Bear Flag looked like....and it's just too cool to not use..... :blink:

But if someone wants to make another ID card.... it might be fun for everyone to have an assortment of them from different countries....

"NO... not this one, it's from the Republic of California... an' this one is from Neuvo Mexico.... and oops... not... this one is from the Conch Republic.... I know I have one from the Confederacy of the United States somewhere........."

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I wonder what So. Oregon would have been called back then/now. The Rain Forest Republic...Moss United (er, no, that sounds like a soccer team), Confederate Mushroom State? LOL :wub:

Actually, there is a mythical State of Jefferson, which included parts of Northern Calif. and So. Oregon. We still have State of Jefferson Public Radio. Apparently at one time, this area was thinking of creating a new state, with that moniker. So, if I made a card, it would be from the State of Jefferson — I'll have to do some research and see if they ever made a flag. I'm sure they must have.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

But you have to wonder what kind of funny mushrooms or whatever they have been eating.....

the Federalist State of California -- which is occupying the Cascadian region of Northern California --

One....It's the Republic of California....

Two... We were here before they were, and Emperor Notron says we ain't givin' it back....

Three.... both the Russians and the Mormons have previous claims to a large part of that territory....

And saving the best for last....

Because they have been offering safe harbor to whaling ships of the Union Of the United States, Emperor Norton will be issuing new letters of Margue in the very near future...

NortonMarque.jpg

Okay, here's what I mean by State of Jefferson, being Northern Calif. and So. Oregon. It's been around for a long time, so might fit into our airship time frame. My characters home port could be there.

However, the flag and seal really are bad. They look more like a beer label. :blink:

State of Jefferson

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

The State of Jefferson fits in better than Cascadia... (well... from the stuff posted on the two links....) (but you gotta make-up/modifying the History of it.... )

It might be fun to have the State of Jefferson and Cascadia (and throw in some Mormon Expansionist and maybe the Russians ) all claiming to govern the same chunks of land....

In the Republic of California, there are two Governments... the Republic Government, and Emperor Norton's Government... people kinda pick and choose which one they want to follow (and change their minds if it doesn't fit with what they want to do....... :D ) but Elections get kinda interesting....

Oh yeah.... the Republic of California's southern border is about at Fort Tajon, and north to kinda sorta somewhere above San Fransico (see ... thats why the State of Jefferson fits in so nicely.... :D )If some one wants to do something with Southern California, and the Baja... cool.... right now it's Neuevo Mexico.... but that can be changed....I'm just "twisting" the Gold Rush parts of California and fitting it into 1880ish.....

But you'd be stuck with a flag that isn't as cool as the one for the Republic of California.... :D (*well not really... make-up something better....)

I'll re-post the "Raw" map.... this one doesn't have the changes to Canada..... we can divvy it up however we want to, and the more fragmented the better (especially for Airship Pyrates)

Mapcopy.jpg

Hey, we are all going to want to "mess" with our area's history.... As long as no one makes their area too powerful.... Aaarr... have at it....

I know you have chosen Lake Tahoe as our safe hide-out kinda port, but, during the winter, wouldn't we need another place? One not affected by winter storms? Heading south into Nuevo Mexico might be kinda exciting...and warm.

Also, been thinking of a good tavern or pub name. A place where airship pirates would hang out. Kinda on the idea of the Monkey Bar in M&C. I thought the Condor Tavern sounded kinda kewl, and condors, being all black and kinda menacing, look pyraty. (For some reason, I see Condor Tavern matchbook covers. :huh: )

Anyway, just thinking out loud. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Seems folks are posting their Airship Personas here, and it got me thinkin'....

So...

AP01.jpg

Name:Angus MacAvaddy, call him Mac...

Crew Position - Pilot/Helmsman/Jack-of-all-Trades

History - Done a little of everything... worked on the Railroad, Riverboats, Sailing and SteamShips in Europe and the Americas. Don't trust the government - any government to get a fair deal on anything... Seen enough war to make any man sick of it. Got interested in air machines but them 'aeroplanes just aren't quite good enough.... yet'... Can be pretty quiet but if you insult a comrade, be afraid... Good with many different weapons, or tools, or tools as weapons... Has slight 'mad scientist' tendencies, has read about Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse and finds electricity fascinating. The idea of harnessing lightening as a power source or even weapon has possibilities.

Still thinkin'... always thinkin'...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Dang... more stuff to do.... :wacko:

I should go back through all the post, and then edit the first post and add alla the crew positions.....

Off of the top of my head, we have a Helmsman, a Bombardier, a Cook, The Captain's (maybe) Wife, I think an Engineer, and some crew......

I also want to write-out a single sheet explaining what the Columbia's Revenge is ... the Steampunk part, and how it's mostly an internet kinda thing, but it's fun to meet other crew members.... (by not having a Captain (well as some "real" person) we don't have to worry about icky power struggles an such, the idea is just to have fun.... I'd also like to be able to hand it out at the Nor. Cal Pyrate Festival......

The basic idea is (and any help would be appreciated... (I'll post wot I write-up later )

This is what (or one version) of Steampunk is...

What "Airship Pyrates" are/were/could have been...

I don't know if I could fit in the map an kinda history (but we are still working on that...)

And this is where we post ......Pyracy.com.... :lol:

I figure that and the California Republic Military ID cards.... should be good "hand-outs" and maybe get some more people that wanna play..... (slightly selfish... it might get more people close to where I live that wanna play...) Rats is doing fantastic "recruiting" /setting stuff up....on the other side of the country.... and the "More the merrier".... cool

I'd have to check the first post, but I think this thread was to discuss the background stuff.... I don't think posting in the Quill and stories thread would work for this,,, but maybe in kinda sorta the future, we might be able to start a thread and post stories, of the Adventures of the Columbia's Revenge.... OH YEAH... an do an Airship Pyrate invasion of the Steampunk/Brass Goggles forum (in an on topic kinda fun way...) (I have only seen one episode of Firefly... but the line "We aim to misbehave"..... kinda sums the idea up nicely.... :lol:

Oh... and Ransom.... The Combat Kilt is almost finished....... :lol:

I think this whole thing is going to be a lot of fun, and very interesting....coming up with alternate histories and all. I have some questions for you Patrick, which I will PM you with later. Just some logistic stuff.

Oh, and I am going to do my best for my first kilt inspection. And remember, Patrick....I pinch! In a friendly, fun-loving way, or course. :wacko: LOL

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have the Identification Cards done..... I just have to finally decide what color paper I want the outsides to be.....then print them.... (Grey kindasorta works... but it's just not quite "right"........Maybe cut down manila envelopes..... OK... I still gotta play with that....)

I want to post them right now...... but I will wait until after the Norther California Pyrate Festival to do that..... (Trying to resist even a "Sneak Peek"...... aargh.... ) Ransom, Red Handed Jill and any other Airship Pyrates get to see them first... (even tho I still wanna show them off..... )

If I can find an old manual typewriter and black and white film for a Poloroid (well and find that old camera) it would be perfect for Nor. Cal...... (But next weekend is the start of Yard Sale Season... so I'll keep me eyes peeled.....)

I have some other ideas in the back of my brain for what I wanna do at Nor.Cal (On Sunday... Impromptu Airship Pyrate Day....)). .... (I just don't wanna post them, so if I run outta time, no one knows that I messed up.... :lol: )

Anyway... after Nor. Cal, there should be a nice steamy flurry of pictures and post.......

Shucks, you know, I used to have an old typewriter. Gave it to the Goodwill back in the 80s. Should have kept it! Now people are even making jewelry out of the old keys. :lol:

Chain Shot is trying to get a pair of boots on eBay. He's been outbid on three pairs so far, so is determined to get this latest pair to finish off his Steampunk big-game hunter garb. I hope he does, as they are pretty kewl looking.

All I have left to do is paint and punk out my small flintlock cap pistol. I decided not to get the periscope to use as a bomb site, cause it still isn't quite what I'm looking for. It's going to be one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things. I want something small enough to hang from my belt, and not look clutsy.

I think I'm going to "age" some maps, to stick in the leg pockets of my cargo pants. Maybe add some bomb site target marks.

I was also thinking that if we keep this going, we could design and print up some kind of paper money. Coin would be kewl, but hard to do, and maybe expensive. But paper, if we had an original design, could be downloaded to anyone's computer and they could just print some off whenever they needed it. Just a thought.

This meet up at Nor Cal is going to be sooooo much fun! I'm really looking forward to being able to sit down and talk about other kewl stuff we could do in the future.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I think I'm going to "age" some maps, to stick in the leg pockets of my cargo pants. Maybe add some bomb site target marks.

Are you going to include where you bombed that poor innocent cow ? :blink:

What makes you so sure she was innocent? She was a spy, carrying messages across enemy lines...I swear it! :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Yeah, and it's a gag I'm going to milk for as long as possible! :P

I do have a question about the ID cards. Should I also have one from the State of Jefferson, if that's where I am originally from? Also, if we are in the business of crossing territorial lines while doing business, would fake ID cards from other territories be needed?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

if we are in the business of crossing territorial lines while doing business, would fake ID cards from other territories be needed?

That was kinda the idea.... :P

"Humm.... lets see....

...Nope... this one's from the California Republic....

This one's from New Mexico....

No..... the State of Jefferson....

I know I have a valid Confederate States of America ID somewhere...."

Now where have I Herd that before ?

Got it! I musta grazed right past that earlier post. :huh:

So, um, is that a hint that I need to design a State of Jefferson ID card? (I still have to design a flag eventually. The real State of Jefferson flag is lame :huh: )

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I still have to paint the gums and tongue and the crossed bones behind the Grizzly Bear's head, and the California Republic flag is done....

I'll be taking it to Nor. Cal., and flying it on Sunday.......

But Jill.... yer right in the Heart of good ol' Emperor Norton's domain.......Yeah.... all hail the good old glorious golden Republic of California... :(

Would there be some kind of ID card that would say you were entitled to dual "citizenship?"

Also, are we talking a small card you carry with you, like a modern business card, or a document, so that when the border guards ask you for your papers (I always liked that command in old spy movies), that's what you show?

Papers? Papers? I don't need no stinkin' papers! :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg