El Lobo Del Mar

The Doctor

Jack poured the Madeira as Honour began putting away her things. "Briggs seemed mightily upset with you, Jack. I interrupted an important meeting, didn't I?" she asked.

He smiled and served Honour her drink. "No, darling. I interrupted a briefing Josiah's been sweating. He'll get over it."

"What was it about, if you don't mind my asking?"

"No, not at all! We are in the process of expanding the most elaborate smuggling operation ever seen. And we're going to do it right under the Spanish Empire's nose."

Honour nearly choked on her wine. "You- you're going to what?!"

"It's really quite simple, as I've tried to convince Josiah. The Spanish have spread themselves far too thin to even feed or protect their colonies. Trinidad is a prime example. We established a base on Tobago roughly two years ago since Spain couldn't even be bothered to station a garrison there. There's a bay on the north side called Castara I rather fancied, and made it my own. We advertise our services to the right people, and in turn the good citizens of Trinidad come north and buy our goods at a reduced price. It's their problem as to how to get it back home past all their king's men."

Honour sipped her wine as she listened intently. "And just how do you obtain the goods to sell to the fine colonists of Trinidad?"

Jack smiled slyly. "It's a big ocean, love. Lots of shipping traffic runs between Tobago and Barbados. We usually find something."

Honour's eyes widened. "Jack, you don't expect to do any piracy when we are on our honeymoon cruise to Tobago, do you?"

"Certainly not!" he lied.

"That's good. I've seen enough of piracy and what it can do to a man to last a lifetime."

"How so?" he asked.

She didn't want to tell him the whole sordid business of what transpired two years previously. It was in the past. Best to leave it there. A memory to take out and wrap yourself around when the nights are long and cold. She hoped that a life with Jack would erase the memory. Or at least dull the pain of a memory pushed far down.

She took a deep breath and forged ahead.

"Working in a tavern in a port town in Barbados, I have seen men in search of fortune and what it can do to them. A fortune found, a fortune lost with the toss of the dice or the turn of a card."

Jack poured her another glass of wine. "Love, I know what I am doing. You might say I've done all right for myself. Enough that you'll never want for anything."

Before she could ask further, there was a knock at the door. Jack crossed the room to answer. A man named Jameson came in with a tray and set it on the table. On the tray was a roast piglet with potatoes and greens.

"Thank you, and that will be all, Jameson."

Jameson barely glanced at Honour. After all, what was one more doxy? She wasn't the first overnight guest the captain had. And wouldn't be the last. This one was really young, though. Not rode-hard like most of the wharf trollops. He touched his fingers to his cap and backed out.

Honour sat back on the bed. She had changed into a deep crimson silk gown that showed every curve of her body. She was barefoot and her hair was in a braid down her back. Jack kicked off his boots and pulled the table to the edge of the bed. He handed her a plate made of Connemara marble, heaped with food.

She protested, "Jack, I am not one of those dock workers who eats everything in sight!"

He smiled as he took in the sight of his wife. Around her neck was a delicate silver chain. "Been meaning to ask you, love, about the chain on your neck."

He gently touched her neck and lifted the chain. "I know my metals, darling, and that is Brittania silver. A gift from an admirer?"

She took his hand and removed it from her chain. "Maybe. Does it bother you?"

Jack shrugged. "I'm not crazy about you wearing a chain given to you by a former lover but it is becoming to you. In time, I shall replace it."

She blushed. How could she tell him that it belonged to her mother? She told him her mother was a housemaid. There would be no way she would have had a chain like that. Jack must never know what her past really was.

After they sated their appetites, Jack gathered the dishes and put them outside the door to the cabin. He offered Honour some fresh fruit of grapes and apples and poured her another glass of wine.

"Jack, enough of the wine. My head is starting to spin."

She leaned back against the pillows, the goblet of Murano crystal in her hand. The colour of the wine refracted through the crystal and cast a warm glow onto her face. Jack stretched out next to her and produced something from underneath the pillows. He took her left hand in his and gently slipped a ring on her finger. She gasped audibly.

It was a band of the finest Spanish gold. A large emerald was centred, flanked by two smaller ones. The brilliance of the green was spellbinding.

"Oh, Jack! It's so beautiful!"

She extended her hand to admire it. The exquisite jewels were dazzling. He took her hand and kissed it.

"Does that make up for the brass trinket I tried to give you?"

She threw her arms around his neck and drew him to her. "More than makes up for it!"

She then frowned. "But, Jack, I have nothing to give you."

He laughed softly and said, "My dear, you have given me more than you know. Tell you what I will do..." He took the large ruby ring from his right hand and transferred it to his left. "This shall be my wedding ring. Every time I look at it, it will be a reminder of our wedding night."

She blushed. He reached up to her braid and took the ribbon from her hair. The braid fell apart and her hair cascaded down around her shoulders. She caught her breath as he buried his face in the waves of her hair.

And at that moment, all others were far, far from her mind. If they even existed at all.

Save for the memory of one she buried deep in her heart.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

The morning sun streamed in through the gallery windows and shone down on the newlyweds as they lay sleeping. Jack's eyes opened as he abruptly woke up to the feel of his ship starting to roll through the water. He gently tried to extract himself from Honour as she lay with her head on his chest and her arms around him.

She stirred in her half-sleep. "Mmmm....where are you going?"

He eased himself out of bed and looked out the window.

"It appears we are leaving port and without my direction. I guess Briggs thought I could use the rest. But it's bad form for the captain to be sleeping in when everyone else is heaving to. It wouldn't do for them to think I am a slacker."

Honour laughed lightly as she pulled the blanket up to her chin and rolled over.

"Slacker? You? I've never known a man who could be so....energetic...on only a few hours sleep."

He grinned and crawled across the bed, yanking the blanket away from her.

"Jack!" she squealed.

She tried to grab it back but Jack had already taken it and threw it over his shoulder.

"Now, Mrs. Wolfe, I think we should----"

"Jack? You up yet?"

Briggs' voice came from the other side of the door.

"That's a loaded question, " he whispered to Honour. She started to giggle but he put his finger to her lips.

"Shh! Maybe he will go away and---"

"Captain Wolfe. This is your quartermaster. You remember me? Josiah 'I can't believe Jack isn't up here' Briggs? I know you are awake. I hear you moving around in there."

Jack sighed and affected a yawning voice. "Wh--what time is it, Josiah?"

"Time to get yer arse up on the deck. The sun has been up for a good half hour and we are clearing the port. So I suggest you put on some trousers and get up here."

He turned to Honour and sighed.

"Duty calls. Keep the bed warm."

She propped herself up on her elbow.

"I'd really like to see the ship, Jack. I can't spend all my time in the cabin. What will the crew think?"

"That I am a very fortunate man."

She pushed him away as he leaned in again to kiss her.

"No. You go up on deck. I'll get dressed and join you in about a half hour."

He moved off the bed and sighed.

"If you insist." He looked back at her once more and sighed.

"I insist. Now go!"

Jack buttoned his shirt on his way up to the quarterdeck. Briggs was already conferring with the helmsman and pointing to a spot on the map.

"Good morning, Josiah.....Mr. Carlisle."

He helped himself to a cup of coffee and reached in the binnacle for a splash of rum.

Briggs frowned, "About time ye got yer arse up here. Is it going to be like this for the next few days?"

Jack laughed and took a deep drink of the coffee.

"Probably. You didn't object when Sally or Marcy or Polly and Molly were on the ship."

Briggs glared, "The ship weren't moving then! Now how am I going to confer with you? Slip notes under the door and hope you see them by noon?"

Jack shrugged. "Josiah, you overreact. Things will settle down soon enough. And when we get to Castara, I'll ensconce my lovely wife in the bridal suite of Le Loup."

Briggs snorted, "I don't know if you have been in the sun too long, the rum has addled your brain or you just plain lost your mind. You plan on taking that young girl to THERE?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Because the proprietress will eat her for breakfast, that's why."

Just then Honour showed up on deck.

"May I come up?" She was dressed simply in a white silk blouse that kept slipping off her shoulder and a black pair of linen breeches tucked in high boots. Her hair was caught back in a black velvet ribbon.

"Ah, there you are!" Jack took her hand and led her up the stairs.

"Mr. Briggs. You do remember my glowing bride, don't you?"

Briggs looked up briefly from his map.

"That I do. Good morning, ma'am."

Jack turned his attention to his wife. "You found everything? The soap? The towels? The tub?"

She laughed. "Jack, the tub is kind of hard to miss. But I did find some rather interesting reading material. Something called the....Kama Sutra?"

Jack spewed his coffee and Briggs' shoulders began to shake with laughter as he bent over the map again.

"Didn't know ye needed an instruction manual, Jack!"

Jack glared at him. "You can be replaced, Briggs."

He turned to Honour again.

"It came with the ship. I used it to prop up the leg of the bed before I got it fixed. But now, don't you look lovely!"

She twirled around and brought out a black cavalier hat. "Can I have this one, Jack? I have nothing piratey. And when we stop in port, I can buy some feathers. Oh, do say I can have it!"

He kissed her and said, "Then it is yours."

Briggs turned to Carlisle and made a gagging motion with his finger. Carlisle spewed coffee on the map.

"Did something go down the wrong pipe, Carlisle?"

The helmsman coughed. "No, just something I had a hard time swallowing."

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Jack led Honour to the gunwale and handed her a cup of coffee.

"I have to get a few things underway so I will be back as soon as I can. Just enjoy the view, darling."

She smiled at him and gratefully accepted the coffee. Resting her elbows on the gunwale rail, Honour looked out over the horizon. The sky met the water in two shades of blue with a thin line separating them.

'I wonder if this is what Rhys saw....'

And all of a sudden it hit her.

She was sailing in the Caribbean with another man.

Not the love of her life.

A sense of desolation washed over her like waves over sand. Inexplicably, her eyes filled with tears. She had been so...occupied....that she didn't have a minute to even think of Rhys.

And yet there it came to her, in her moment of solitude.

She looked over as Jack gave a seemingly endless stream of instructions to the crew, who quickly set about their assignments. Within minutes, the rigging was in place, the sails filled with the morning wind, and the ship began to gracefully glide toward Castara Bay.

Once satisfied that all was under control, Jack strolled over to where his wife was.

She hastily wiped the tears from her face and gave him a smile.

"Salt spray on my face. I was watching the dolphins play."

"Where?"

She pointed towards the stern of the ship.

"They were leaping over each other."

Jack put his arm around her.

"I realize this is all so new to you, Honour. It is a bit out of the ordinary, spending your honeymoon with a crew. But I promise I shall make up for it when we get to Castara. You will have my undivided attention. After I tie up a few loose ends."

She nodded but her heart was still heavy with the realization of what she felt was a betrayal to Rhys. How could she ever give her heart to another man?

Sure, there were all those captains....but they never meant anything. Just a way to fill a need and a void in her soul.

And in the morning it was clear.

They weren't Rhys Morgan.

None of them were.

But there was one problem.

Jack Wolfe stood in a class by himself and there was no way to compare Rhys and Jack.

Apples and oranges, summer rains and hurricanes.

With a voice she willed not to tremble, she said,"Tell me more about this Jennings fellow we're going to meet. Is he a captain?"

"A captain?" Jack smiled. "No, darling. Cade Jennings is, you might say, my protegee. We met ten years ago in Port Royal. I was leaving the pub late one night on the way back my ship, and I heard someone behind me draw a sword. I turned to find a snot-nosed boy of thirteen standing there, rusty sword in hand, trembling like a leaf. I drew my sword, expecting him to run, but he stood his ground. Claimed he wanted to become a pirate, or die by the hand of one. Being that I'm rarely in the mood to snuff a perfectly good powder monkey, I brought him aboard. Quite the little thief, young Cade. A pirate's pirate in the end. And the best smuggler I've ever seen."

Honour burst out laughing. "A powder...monkey, did you say?"

Jack smiled at her and pushed the hair out of her eyes. "A powder monkey is the lad that brings gunpowder to the gunners. Cade was quick and he was agile. Never saw a kid climb ropes like he did. Took to the sea right off."

"What of his family?"

"Father died when he was seven. His mother remarried and had died six months previous to our meeting. His stepfather used to beat him so he took to the streets. They were originally from Suffolk and he ran away to New Providence. That is where he learned his street-smarts. Hanging around the ports and pick-pocketing drunken sailors. He was good. But he was in over his head with the street gangs. So....I took him on."

"And he became the son you never had."

Jack laughed, "Hey, I'm not so old I can be put out to pasture, you know. He's only eleven years younger than me. I may have been a hell-raiser but I didn't start that early!"

Honour took a deep breath and approached a subject that had been bothering her ever since they set sail.

"Jack....about this spotting sail and filling the holds with swag----you don't really have to do this, do you?"

Jack turned to her with a puzzled look on his face.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean this is our honeymoon and if you do your privateering thing then---"

"Whoa! Hold it right there! Where did you get the idea I was a privateer?"

It was her turn to look puzzled.

"But I saw a flag of England drying out over the hatch there. I mean, I thought you took on opposing vessels for the glory of England."

Jack shook his head. "I'm the only glory I care about, Honour. Me. Nobody else matters. And this is a pirate ship. PIRATE, not privateer. I suggest you get used to that reality."

"But Jack----"

"No 'buts' about it. This is what I do, Honour. This is my job. I don't split any percentage of my booty with merry old England. That's what a pirate does. Robbery on the high seas. Look it up in the legal books. It's there. Probably with my picture beside it, in a most unflattering pose."

"But, Jack--"

"Don't meddle in ship's business, Honour."

"So that is how you see it. And what is my purpose here then?"

"Your job is to keep the bed warm for me when I return."

Rhys never would have spoken so sharply to her. Rhys was ready to give up his wayward life for one of domesticity. Honour realized that with Jack, she didn't think that far ahead. In fact, thinking with her brain was the last thing she was doing when Jack Wolfe gave her that first whiskey.

She looked at him but he gazed over the ocean, his jaw set. She kept her voice even as she said, "I see. Well, I am glad we got that cleared up. Excuse me, Jack. I'm going back to the quarters. I'll keep your bed warm, alright. Just make sure it isn't on fire when you crawl into it. I will leave you to your....occupation, then."

She strode off the deck purposefully and entered the Captain's quarters.

He couldn't be sure...but could it be that the door slammed?

Jack continued to stare into space where Honour had been standing. Apparently he'd said something that upset her, but what it might have been eluded him. "Josiah, may I ask you a question?"

"Aye, Jack?" Briggs replied with a smirk.

"You've been married before. Did she just... was that... she's in a bit of a snit, isn't she?"

"Ye were pretty blunt with the young lass, Jack. Perhaps a softer tone is in order, her bein' new to this life and all. A little tenderness can go a long way with a woman like her."

"Ah, I see,” said Jack as he pondered Briggs' words. “Sage advice, Josiah. Thank you. I'll look after things while you talk to her."

Briggs stared at his friend.

"Jack, I meant it should be you to talk to her. Seeing as how ye married her, remember? And the way she slammed that door, there's nothin' that could get me near her until she cools off a bit."

"Oh, all right then. This being married business is more work than I thought it would. The ship is yours. I need to see if my cabin still has a working door."

Jack made his way aft to the great cabin. The door was shut, but still on its hinges. He knocked softly before entering. Honour was sitting on the bed, staring at her wedding ring.

"Honour, I obviously upset you, and for that, I, um, apologize. Yes, that's the word. I took it for granted that you knew about my stock and trade."

"I had thought you served a nobler purpose than your own greed. I was mistaken," Honour said quietly.

Jack ignored the pointedness of her answer.

"What 'nobler purpose' would you have me serve, Honour? The Commonwealth? Risk my neck so the Lord Protector can grow fat while I starve, and my ship belongs to the fools of the Admiralty? No thank you, love. This arrangement suits me well. You said yourself that you had heard of my reputation. I doubt anyone said a thing about my altruistic nature or nationalist leanings.”

Honour kept her silence and continued to stare at the ring on her hand.

“My reputation is everything, Honour,” he continued. “It's the most effective weapon at my disposal. And some of it is even true.”

Jack sat beside her and took her hand in his. "What do you think happens to the heart of a merchant captain when they see my flag? They'd rather give up than risk our wrath. More often than not, our prizes are taken without a shot fired from either side. We do the same work as privateers, darling. We simply do it better, for better pay, under our own flag. And without the annoying diplomatic and bureaucratic entanglements."

Honour looked up at Jack with her brilliant blue eyes, trying to will the tears away that threatened to spill over. She took a deep breath and said in a halting voice, "I didn't think that far in advance, Jack. I--I just didn't really think beyond...beyond..."

Jack stroked her cheek gently and said, "Yeah. I know. Me too. Any regrets?"

She gave a wan smile and shook her head. "Not really, I suppose. I just need time, and most of all, understanding. This is all so new to me. I feel more than a little overwhelmed!"

He smiled warmly and said, "My dear, time is a luxury we have in abundance! And you're right. I haven't been very understanding. I promise to be more patient. But mind you, I'm not very good at it.”

“Another true part of your reputation, then,” she said with a little laugh.

“Guilty as charged! What else have you heard about me?”

“That you have an impressive ship.”

“And what do you think?”

She looked around the cabin. “It could use a woman's touch and a little organisation, but yes, it's very impressive.”

“What else? It's been a long time since I've heard stories about myself.”

“Well, there's tell of you feeding an uncooperative captain to horrible little man-eating fish called pinarahs.”

“What? Oh, piranhas! Never happened.”

“Really? The man telling the story claims he was there and saw it first hand.”

Jack sighed. “No, love. I've never fed anyone to beastly little fish. First, can you imagine what it would take to keep a supply of ravenous piranhas? Second, it's terribly messy. Want to know what really happened?”

“Of course I do!” she replied in excitement.

“Here's the truth, then. Yes, there was a captain who didn't want to talk. It happens sometime. They get brave and think a little silence is going to stop things. Anyway, I had him blindfolded and tied to a chair. Then I had a washtub full of water brought in, and had his feet forced into the water.”

“That's all? Was there anything else in the water?”

“Piranhas,” said Jack.

“But, but you said that never happened!”

“Well, we told him they were piranhas. He didn't know a piranha from a perch. They were really minnows, and the more they nipped at his toes, the more panicked he got. It didn't take him long to tell us everything we wanted to know.”

Honour dissolved into a fit of giggles at his story. “Now I have to wonder about the things I've heard about you! There seems to be an awful lot of fiction at play.”

“That all depends,” said Jack. “What else have you heard?”

“Well,” Honour said as she bit her lower lip, “I've heard that you're an insatiable lover.”

Jack smiled wickedly. “And?”

“So far, so good. But I think it could use some more proving. Just to be on the safe side.”

“Shall I lock the door?”

“You're the captain!”

Briggs stood at the forward rail of the ship's quarterdeck, taking a deep draw on his pipe. He gazed out over the horizon, his face reflecting the perplexed amusement of seeing his friend and captain so completely taken by a young woman.

Briggs tried not to perceive her as just another tart, but time and tide kept steering her that way. She worked in a port town in a lively tavern. He and Jack had observed how she was light on her feet as regards the advances of the men and savvy in a way that showed she knew how to handle them. What else would she be? No lady of quality ever would be seen in such an establishment.

And the method she used to obtain a ring on her finger...well, Briggs certainly took his hat off to her on that. He bet that was one Captain Jack Wolfe never saw coming.

A clearing of the throat was heard behind him. He turned and said, "Something on your mind, Davis?"

Jacob Davis, an older man who served as helmsman, stepped up next to Briggs.

"Me and some of the crew are wondering what's goin' on with the Cap'n? Bringing a woman--and a young one at that!--onto the ship? T'ain't right. T'ain't right, at all."

Briggs looked back over the sea. "He's the captain. It's his ship. What he says be the law."

Davis could scarcely contain himself "But t' bring a woman on the ship be courtin' disaster for the crew and ship! I says we take a vote and--"

Briggs tapped his pipe on the rail and sighed heavily. "There'll be no votes taken aboard this vessel! Maybe this ain't getting' through that thick skull ye been usin' as a hat rack. Jack Wolfe ain't only captain of El Lobo del Mar, he owns her. So get any notion of sea democracy out of your head."

Jack arrived on the quarterdeck just in time to hear Davis' outburst and Briggs' reply. "Do take his advice, Mr. Davis. If you can't abide with the way I run this ship, you may still be able to swim to shore. Doubtful, but you seem a gambling man. Feel free to step off any time," he said with an unusually sunny smile.

Davis looked in stunned silence at Jack, and then to Briggs. The quartermaster stepped to one side and motioned to the briny deep with a sweeping gesture of his arm. He stammered, "Beggin' your pardon, Cap'n Wolfe. I guess I forgot me place..."

"Now you find yourself better educated, don't you?" Jack interrupted. "Back to your station, Davis. No sense overtaxing your brain any more this evening."

Davis smiled nervously and retreated to the safety of the ship's wheel.

Jack walked to the forward rail of the quarterdeck and rang the watch bell four times. He waited patiently as the crew assembled. Finally, he addressed them.

"Gentlemen, no doubt you're wondering about my gentle lady guest and why she's set sail with us."

The throng grumbled in the affirmative. One voice rang out "That, and 'ow much's she's costin' ye!"

Jack smiled as the men laughed. "Quite a dear penny, I can assure you! She's my new wife."

The men stared at their captain as if struck dumb. "You heard right. And you'll afford my bride every possible courtesy. Am I understood?"

The crew murmured in the affirmative.

"Wonderful! Extra rum, all around! We're celebrating!" Jack proclaimed. The men's faces lit up as they cheered, and the fiddler struck up a tune. He turned back to face the skeptical Briggs. "See? They're good with it! No worries."

"Aye, until the rum's gone..."

"Oh, cluck-cluck, Josiah. You're always seeing the bleak side of things. Why do you think we laid in more rum before we left? I'll be below."

“Below? Ye just came up for air!”

“Didn't you hear what I just said, Josiah? It's a celebration! So, celebrate. And quit scowling. It will make your forehead all wrinkly.”

Briggs shook his head as Jack disappeared below again.

“Taken him hook, line, and sinker, she has...”

Honour emerged from the Captain's quarters. Three days without seeing the sun was beginning to get on her nerves. Never mind the fact that she was on her honeymoon. Jack had gone to the navigator's quarters to go over some charts so she took the opportunity to walk around the ship.

Briggs looked over and shook his head to himself. Soft-looking. Not cut out for a pirate's life. How long before she would rope Captain Jack into a life of domesticity? What if she decided babies was what she wanted? Birthing and squalling brats had no place on a pirate ship! But then, neither did a woman.

"Something I can help ye with...Mrs. Wolfe?"

"Hmm..? Oh! I'm sorry, I have a hard time getting used to that name.”

'Uh-huh,' Briggs said to himself.

He looked over at her. 'That's no tavern wench, or my name ain't Briggs. Looks and walks too high-class for a common trollop.'

Honour bent down. "Oooh, what a cute little kitty!"

Kitty? Lil' Puddin' was a fighting machine!

She picked up the ship's cat, turned him on his back and cuddled him like a baby.

Briggs rushed forward and cautioned, "Mrs. Wolfe, ma'am... I wouldn't do that if I were ye. That there cat turns vicious as Satan himself when he's laid on his..."

The cat started to purr. Loudly.

"...back. Blimey."

She crooned to the cat, "Ooh, what a sweet little puddy! Is you momma's widdle bay-bee? Of course you are!"

The cat looked at Briggs through squinted eyes as if to say, 'YOU never did this to me!'

She hugged the cat close to her and...

"Ma'am! Please! He'll scratch...."

The cat licked Honour's cheek and she giggled.

"...your eyes out. Or not."

Briggs chewed on the stem of his pipe and glared at the cat. Honour gently put the cat down and Briggs hissed under his breath at the cat, "TRAITOR!"

The cat entwined and rubbed against Honour's skirt.

"Mr. Briggs! If I may make a request?"

He just stared at her.

"Could you have the cook make up a picnic basket lunch for the Captain and me? I'd like to surprise him with a picnic on the upper deck. Maybe a lobster with drawn butter? Oh! And strawberries in champagne. Some chocolate for dessert, too! Ta!"

He muttered darkly, 'Ye want the ship moved a little to the left, too, Miss Prissy?'

She looked back. "I'm sorry, did you say something?"

He said, "Did ye want to set any mood with the light that's left, Mrs. Wolfe?"

She grinned and said, "No, Mr. Briggs. Just see that we aren't disturbed!"

He watched her go towards the cabin, a self-confident sway in her walk. He shook his head and said to himself, 'Lady? Tobago is gonna eat you up alive! Especially when SHE finds out Jack took a bride...'

Jack finished confirming their course and went topside to take his pipe. He leaned on the gunwale and savoured the taste of the fine American tobacco he'd acquired from that red-faced English captain off Hispaniola. He could feel his muscles unwind as he stared out over the perfectly blue water of the Caribbean, and contemplated his new station in life as a husband. His reverie was short-lived, broken by the sound of familiar footsteps behind him.

"Aye, Josiah? What can I do for you, my friend?" Jack sighed.

“I hate it when ye do that,” grumbled Briggs. “It's like havin' that witch woman aboard.”

“It's not anything mystical. You drag the toe of your left boot a little, especially when you're thinking about something. And what would that something be?”

Briggs took a deep breath. "Jack, ordinarily I'd never bring a problem like this to ye..."

Jack caught himself before he could roll his eyes. “Uh-huh. Go on.”

"... but it's about that wom- I mean, that new bride of your'n, lovely as she is." Briggs fidgeted as Jack took one last long draw on his pipe, then tapped out the rest of his bowl on the gunwale.

"The ship is still afloat, I haven't heard any explosions in the past 2 hours, and no slimy monsters have tried to drag us down to the proverbial Locker. What can she have possibly done that has you so cross?"

"It's... it's the cat, Jack."

Jack blinked, started to speak, then blinked again. "Excuse me, Josiah. Did you say 'the cat'? Did she skin him and make earmuffs?"

"No, no, worse than that, Jack. She..." Briggs' voice dropped to a hissed whisper, "...she tamed him!"

Jack regarded his friend with a look that is usually reserved for use by doctors in Bedlam.

"What do you mean, 'she tamed the cat'? What'd she do? Make him purr louder? Did he show kindness to a rat? Shed a tad less on your Sunday best? Honestly, Josiah. Puddin' has been docile since the day I pulled him sputtering from that bucket of goo. The war between you and him started when you locked him in the bilges!"

"I didn't lock him in! It was an honest mistake."

“That the padlock was back in place and latched? So not only does he have hidden opposable thumbs, he's capable of padlocking a door from the opposite side? Josiah, that peaceful little moggie has only two natural enemies in his entire world; rats, and you! Have you ever noticed that the only time he ever shows you any affection at all is after he's rolled in fish guts?"

"Um, now that you mention it..."

"Let it go. Please. We'll be moored at Castara morning after next, and you can stop worrying about Honour for a few days. I'll need you to concentrate on the new operation there. Focus on the particulars you need to work out with Cade. Let me worry about the bloody cat, yeah? And my wife?" Jack requested.

"Aye, Jack. If ye don't mind terribly, I'll retire a bit early.”

"Fine idea, Josiah. Sleep well. And you owe me a fresh pouch of tobacco!"

Josiah shuffled off to his cabin. "The whole bloody world's gone mad. First Jack, then the cat. Who's next? Cade? Lord knows that witch woman is off her twig. Heaven help the little miss when Bonita finds out about her..."

The rest of the sail to Tobago went without incident. Briggs was confounded by one thing. He leaned over the rail and said to Davis, "Can't understand it! That cat from hell follows the Captain's---" the words stuck in his throat but he got them out, "---wife all over the ship. Ne'er seen nothin' like it. Bewitched the cat, too, she has!"

Davis laughed, "She's not so bad, Josiah. You just don't like the idea of Jack taking his attention elsewhere. When you two were in port, didn't bother you how many women he took up with. You accepted it. What's changed?"

"This one. He's SERIOUS about her. She's lasted a week now."

Davis shook his head and laughed. "There's always hope, Josiah."

"How do ye mean?"

As Davis turned to go, he said, "Maybe she'll be gone by the time the moon is full again."

Josiah said darkly to himself, "Then life can get back to the way it's supposed to be. Next thing you know, Jack will be knittin' little booties!"

As Honour laid in Jack's arms, she yawned and asked, "What time shall we reach Tobago tomorrow?"

Jack kissed the top of her head and said, "Around the ninth hour. It's a grand place, Honour. You will like it. Honour...? Darling....?"

All he could hear is the rhythmic breathing of her. He kissed her again and soon he fell asleep.

"NO! NO! PLEASE! MADOC, DON'T! LET HIM LIVE! FOR MY SAKE...!"

She sat up in the bed, the sheet clutched around her. The tears were streaming down her face.

Jack immediately jumped up and scrambled for his sword before he realized his bride was in the throes of a night terror.

He reached over and grabbed her shoulders.

"Honour! HONOUR! Snap out of it!"

She slowly began to come out of it, her body shaking.

Jack looked at her and tenderly cupped her face.

"Honour...?" he said softly.

She got her breathing under control and the shaking began to subside. She said in a halting voice, "I--I guess I had a nightmare."

He gathered her into his arms and stroked her hair.

He quietly asked, "Honour, who is Madoc?"

She drew away from him, and laid back on the bed. She whispered, "I don't know. It was a--a bad dream. That's all it was."

He held her tenderly as he felt her body begin to relax again. Before he knew it, she had drifted back to sleep.

But Jack laid there awake, staring at the ceiling.

Who was Madoc? And who was he asked to spare?

He began to realize that maybe he didn't know his wife at all.

Jack and Honour stepped off the ship at a little village on Castara Bay. It was a typical port town. With one exception.

Jack practically owned it.

He took her hand and they made their way to the outskirts of the little port.

"Here is where we need to meet Cade," he said.

Honour looked up. It was a timbered-and stuccoed tavern. A sign swinging up overhead – Le Loup.

She said, “The Wolf!”

He laughed and said, "Precisely. I know it's overly cautious of me, but my office of sorts is fronted by this tavern."

He held the door open. As they entered, Honour's eyes tried to adjust to the dimness inside. Jack went up to the bar and smiled broadly at a beautiful dark-skinned woman whose hair hung in dreadlocks with a bright scarf tied around her head. Her dress was of silk and many colours, moving with her as if in rhythm.

"Bonita! Comment allez-vous, cheri?"

The woman ran from behind the bar and said, "De great Captain Jack finally make him way to home!"

He returned her embrace, although a bit awkwardly. The woman looked over at Honour and gave a disdainful glance that made her very uncomfortable.

"And who dis little t'ing be?" she said coolly with a tinge of malice.

"Ah, Bonita, this is Honour."

The woman extended her hand in greeting but there was no warmth in her eyes.

"De island welcome you," she said icily.

Honour attempted a smile, all the while giving a questioning look to Jack.

He turned to Bonita and said, "Two of the best ale, please, Bonita."

As he led his bride to a table in the back, Bonita drew two tankards and put them down. She looked Honour in the eyes as she gave Jack a slight caress on his neck, then moved on.

"What did I ever do to HER?" Honour asked.

Jack chuckled, "Bonita is a bit – proprietary, shall we say? After all, this is my tavern even though she runs it like it is hers."

"And why didn't you introduce me as your wife? I could understand on the ship but this is dry land, Jack."

"Bonita is... well, um..."

"In love with you?"

Jack ran his finger around the rim of the tankard. "In love with me? Heavens no, my dear. Let's just say that Bonita and I have a mutually beneficial business arrangement."

"Oh, and I am to guess this is also mutually satisfying as well?"

Jack laughed. "I've known Bonita for years, love. More than either of us cares to admit. She's schooled in the old ways and I don't fancy her fashioning a voodoo doll in your likeness. Or chopping off its head as if you were a gecko."

Honour looked dubiously into the tankard, not liking the feelings of jealousy the situation brought forth in her. She silently hoped Bonita wasn't brazen enough to try and poison her in front of Jack. Honour saw a door in the dark corner. Bonita had disappeared behind it moments earlier. Within a few minutes, a man came out.

He was of medium height, in his early twenties and what would be called--dashing. No other word for it. His hair was light brown streaked with gold, tied back with a silk ribbon and his eyes were a deep hazel flecked with gold colour. Dressed in a silk shirt, his sleeves were rolled up and he wore breeches of the softest doeskin. Even though his boots were scuffed, Honour could see that they must have cost him deep in the purse.

He deftly crept up behind Jack and put his finger to his lips, cautioning Honour to silence. In a low voice, he said to Jack with his hand clamped on his shoulder, "Oi! You're under arrest!"

Jack jumped up, pistol in hand. The man jumped back and laughed."You're slowing down, old man!"

Jack grinned and embraced the man.

"Cade, someday you will lose that little game. And I will feel so bad. For about ten seconds!"

Jack leaned over and kissed Honour on the cheek. "Darling, I'd like you to meet Cade Jennings, my right hand man. Cade, please meet Honour Bright."

Honour was startled by the use of her maiden name but said nothing. But inside she was furious. Two introductions, and twice he failed to introduce her as his wife. Just wait till I get him alone, she thought.

Cade laughed and said, "Jack is flattering me with praise so I won't give away any secrets."

Honour extended her hand. She felt an almost electrical charge between the two of them. Cade took her hand and kissed it, saying, "Welcome to Castara Bay, Miss Bright."

Jack grinned and put his arm possessively around Honour. "Cade is the son I never had. Well, maybe more of a dodgy nephew than a son..."

Cade threw his head back and laughed. "So much for the flattery!"

Honour finished her tankard and said, "I should leave the two of you to your business."

Jack handed her a key and said, "Here, love. My rooms are the first door on the right. I'll be up in a bit."

She only nodded, still hurt that Jack didn't want to own up to the fact he now had a wife. She took the key without a word. But as she left, she felt someone watching her. As she looked over her shoulder, she saw Cade Jennings staring at her.

She quickly mounted the stairs.

'Why didn't I stay in Barbados?' she thought. 'It would have been less...complicated.'

Jack watched Honour take the stairs up to the landing. “The old man did himself proud, wouldn't you say, Cade? I think I've snagged myself one very beautiful wife.”

Cade looked hard at his mentor. "She's.....she's your what?"

Jack leaned back in his seat and smiled. “Wife. We're men of the world, you and me, so I know that word has to be in your vocabulary somewhere. That lovely creature, Honour Bright, is Mrs. Jack Wolfe."

Cade stared back in disbelief. “My God, man, why didn't you say so? Anyone else would be shouting if from the rooftops!”

“You know, you're right,” winced Jack. He leaned forward and raised his tankard. “Here's to my first faux pas as a husband. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from.” He got up and climbed about halfway up the stairs. Clearing his throat loudly, he announced,” Everyone! Everyone, your attention for a moment! Yes, thank you, that's good. Gentlemen, ladies... and the rest of you...”

He paused for a chuckle that went through the room.

“I have a very important announcement to make! I've taken on a new crew member aboard my ship.”

“What's so bloody special about that?” someone shot back.

“Glad you asked, mate. Very glad you did. This new crew member is indeed important to me. More than anything. She is... my wife.”

Bonita's head snapped around, and she shot Jack a look that was equal parts heartbreak and hatred. After a few moments, she threw her bar rag on the floor and went into the back room. The muffled sound of bowls or plates breaking could be heard in the stunned silence of the tavern, along with what had to be swearing in Creole.

“Um, at any rate,” he continued, “that beautiful woman you saw on my arm earlier is Honour Bright-- damn, did it again! That's Honour Wolfe! I'm still getting used to it myself. Now I ask that you show her all due respect. Which means, you scalawags... HANDS OFF!” More laughter spread throughout the room.

“Three cheers for Captain Wolfe! Hip-hip, huzzah!” went up the toast. Tankards clattered loudly as those in attendance began the celebration and incredulous discussions over Jack's announcement.

Jack came back down the stairs and resumed his place at the table. “There! All fixed. Now everyone knows, or will shortly. I'm betting this news will travel fast.”

Cade shook his head in disbelief. “I've never before seen a man who is so lucky and so unlucky all at once. Lucky for who's upstairs waiting for you, and unlucky for what was staring at you from behind the bar.”

Jack smiled happily. “Yeah, I am a lucky man. Maybe one day you'll be so lucky. Thought I doubt it.” His smile faded quickly when he looked over at Bonita as she re-entered the room. Her dark, haunting eyes pierced him with an anger that he'd never known.

“Oh, she'll be all right. Bonita is resilient.”

“I think you should go talk to her,” advised Cade. “She's as good as impossible to surprise, and you just delivered a huge one right in her lap. You know how she hates that.”

“Blindsiding a seer? You have to admit, that's pretty good. I should remember to brag about that in my old age.”

“No, I'd give it a few days at least. I just hope you haven't gotten too clever for your own good this time.”

Jack finished off his tankard. “That would be a first. We'll be here about a week. Plenty of time for catching up with Bonita and everyone else. Now if you'll excuse me, I should probably retire upstairs and face the music for my lack of social skills...”

Suddenly, he felt a disquietingly familiar hand on his shoulder. Jack winced. Shyte, he mouthed.

“Him leavin' de celebration of him marriage so soon?” asked Bonita, almost spitting the word 'marriage' out. “Dat not polite, Jack. Not at all.”

Cade gave Jack a bemused smirk. Jack gave him a sour look in return.

“Bonita! I had no idea you were there,” lied Jack.

“As were de intention,” Bonita replied coldly. She casually played with his long brown locks. “When you plan on telling Bonita you a married man, cher? Or is she just anot'er soul what work for you now? Anot'er soul what him use up and cast aside as him see fit, maybe?” She leaned close enough for Jack to feel her breath on his skin. “Dere were a time, not long ago, when Bonita were so much more...”

Cade was thoroughly enjoying watching his mentor squirm. It wasn't often Jack Wolfe found himself cornered. Now it was a matter of who would win this contest; Jack, as the mongoose, or Bonita, as the cobra?

“I-- I'm sorry for not getting a chance to tell you in private first, darling--” Jack stammered.

“Like when you introduce her to Bonita, maybe? Jack Wolfe never have trouble opening him mouth before!” Bonita snapped.

“I should leave you two to talk,” said Cade.

“Don't you dare,” Jack countered quickly as he grabbed Cade's arm.

“Dis not going to pass easy, Jack. We share too much, too often, too deep. Enjoy dat young bride him bring among us. But Jack need to carry dis wit' him before him lie wit' her dis night..."

Bonita cleared a spot on the table in front of Jack and produced a handful of chicken bones. She shook them in her hands and cast them on the table. After gazing at them for a short time, she drew a long, unnatural breath. Jack could feel his heart beating in his chest as Bonita leaned close to whisper the things she saw in the bones.

“Darkness, it await Jack Wolfe,” she breathed. “Two in him company will betray him. Two, so dear to him black heart. To de quick dey will cut him, and bring him such pain. T'ree times Jack Wolfe heart will break. Much loss and strife and searching. A very long time it will be before him know true joy and peace.”

“At least there's a happy ending,” Jack quipped, trying to hide a shudder.

Bonita straightened and looked down at him with hooded eyes. “It already in motion, started by de great captain himself. Marrying dat child, so quick, so out of fashion for him. Shame, Jack Wolfe! Him bring her among us and expect her to take up dis life? Have she taste battle? Have she known deat'? Do she know what it mean to be de woman of a pirate?”

She swept up the chicken bones in her hand and shook them in Jack's face. “Dey never lie! Now, go. Pay attention to dat young t'ing him chose to wed.” With that, Bonita spat on the table and stalked off.

Cade took a deep breath and picked up his tankard. “That went well.”

“Shut it,” snipped Jack. “I could have gone all year without that conversation. Talk about unnerving.”

“Afraid you won't be able to, um, concentrate on your honeymoon now?”

Jack rolled his eyes. “I'll concentrate just fine, lad. And I've seen her spell for what you're getting at. It's not pretty. For the victim or the gecko.”

Though he tried to make light of it, he couldn't deny Bonita had gotten inside his head. Her predictions were chillingly accurate. He had come to rely on them for so many successful campaigns over the years, including the most recent taking of the Dutch merchantman. Now, at his happiest, she delivers a dire vision. Was it genuine, or done out of spite? What was certain; in the delicate dance he'd done for so long to keep access to Bonita's unearthly gifts, he'd finally made a misstep.

“Then what are you dallying here for, old man?” laughed Cade. “Go give that beautiful bride of yours a proper Tobago welcome!”

Jack snatched the tankard out of Cade's hand with a devilish smirk and drained it. “Don't wait up!” he winked.

As he climbed the stairs, a smattering of applause began, and built as he took each step. By the time he reached the top, it was a full out ovation. Jack bowed with a flourish, and went to the door of his and Honour's room.

"… two in him company will betray him."

Bonita's voice echoed in Jack's mind as his hand touched the doorknob. Which two, he wondered. The very few people he let get close were completely trustworthy, he was sure of it. No doubt she meant Honour, but that wasn't possible. Was it?

"Utter nonsense," he whispered as he opened the door.

Honour sitting was by the window, gazing out at the quiet harbour town below. There was a distant sadness in her eyes as she looked his way. "What's nonsense, darling?"

"What? Oh, just my previous thoughtlessness,” Jack said as he locked the door behind him. “I made sure to properly announce our marriage to everyone. I'm sure you heard the applause. I think they're happy for us. I even got your name right this time." He sat down on the bed next to Honour. "Damn silly of me. Are you settling in all right, love?"

“Better, now,” she smiled. “I was beginning to think you didn't want anyone to know about our marriage.”

“A foolish, thoughtless mistake on my part. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.”

Honour shook her head. “It's a big change for both of us. Almost as much as trying to walk on steady ground again!”

“It's always worst the first day, darling,” he chuckled. “Though I never quite get used to it at all.”

“Do you ever think you could?” she asked with a hint of concern in her voice.

“If there's one thing your coming into my life has taught me, it's that anything is possible.” He put his arm around her, and she leaned her head against him. “It is good to see Cade again. What did you think of him?"

She took a deep breath and said evenly, "He seems like a very nice man."

“He's a good man. I'd trust him with my life.” Jack stroked Honour's hair gently. “You were looking out the window and looked so wistful when I came in. Care to share your secrets with me?"

How could she tell him that the view from the window reminded her of a time she was with....him?

She put a smile on her face and said, "I was thinking of how I would like to explore the bay. It looks beautiful. Do you think we could?"

Jack drew her to him. "A wonderful idea, love. Why didn't I think of that?"

Her smile dimpled as she said, "It will be nice, just the two of us. No Briggs with his suspicious scowl. No crew hovering around. I swear, it was so hard to relax knowing they were just outside the door. Now we really CAN have our honeymoon!"

Jack looked into her eyes as he loosened the ribbon that held back her hair. “It's as if you were reading my mind...”

Cade stared at the bag of chicken bones on the bar and looked over at Bonita who was sitting in the corner. He walked over to her.

"Bonita? Care to explain that little drama you played out for Jack?"

She looked at him and her eyes glittered with bitterness. "Dat be for Bonita to know and young Cade to find out. Him be the son Jack ne'er had. Jack be taking a bride of tender years. Maybe Cade be replaced? Jack have sons of him own now, beget dem on dat woman him take. Pay heed, Cade Jennings. Dis a dangerous game. Jack not one to be fooled. Him know. Him know what young Cade capable of. Dat woman untouchable. Best Cade remember dat."

Cade felt his face colour. "Now you are talking nonsense, Bonita. That voodoo mumbo-jumbo may work on Jack, but not on me. I have no interest or designs on his wife. And I'll thank you not to be putting any wild notions in his head."

She grasped him by the arm and hissed, "Cade know it be true. Bonita see the look him give dat woman when she go up de stairs. Dat...dat CHILD! She no woman for Jack. Jack needs a lusty woman."

Cade sat down with Bonita. "Bonita, you are just as surprised as I am that Jack showed up with a wife. Now, we both know your chicken bones could 'say' anything you want them to. It's an impressive parlour act--"

She jumped up and put her face close to his. "NO! Him not know de old ways! Bonita's tia, she a wise and respected teacher. An' she taught Bonita tres bien, she did! Bones no lie. Cade will see. BONES NO LIE! Young Cade best watch where him stepping. And where him t'inking of sleeping. What Bonita say may mean him life! It up to Cade now. How soon him want to die?"

Bonita got up and turned from the table. Cade swallowed hard as her words rang in his ears.

“Bonita, did... did you see that answer in your bones as well?”

The mystic looked over her shoulder at him with hooded eyes. “Bonita see so much. But she not tell everyt'ing.” With that she walked quickly to the back door of the tavern and out of Cade's sight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack and Honour walked arm in arm along the sands until they came to a small cove. Honour sat down and took her boots off, then hiked her skirt up and waded into the water.

"Jack, the water is so warm!"

"Aye, usually is this time of year."

The cove was surrounded by high cliffs. There were palm trees lining the beach. Honour breathed deeply the salt air.

"This must truly be paradise!" she said.

Jack looked over the horizon. He said softly, "It is now, my love."

She looked back at Jack and grinned. She came back to shore and began to unlace her bodice, flinging it off and hitting him in the chest. Jack raised his eyebrow.

"Far be it from me to protest your undressing, but dare I ask what you're up to?"

She dropped her skirt and said, "I am going swimming."

"Swimming. Now?"

The chemise dropped next and she looked over her shoulder and winked.

"I surely am."

She dove into the surf, then surfaced, her hair streaming down her back and her face glistening with the drops from the sea.

She smiled at him and beckoned him with her finger.

He grinned and stood up to remove his shirt.

"Well, when in Rome. Or Tobago. Or paradise..."

They never heard the snapping of a twig as they were observed from the darkness of the shade. A hand reached out to the pile of shed clothes and cautiously removed a small article of clothing from the pile.

A small article that could prove very useful...

As the two lovers laughed and splashed about in the warm sea water, they were unaware of the eyes that watched them. The slender hand quickly reached out from the underbrush once again and stole another bit of clothing. At that very moment, Honour looked back toward the beach.

"Jack," she said hesitantly. "What's that? Over there by our clothes, did you see it?"

He wiped the salt water from his eyes and looked to where she was pointing. All he saw was a slight movement in the brush.

"What did you see, love? Someone trying to catch a peek?" he joked.

She splashed water at him. "No, silly! It looked like... no, that's absurd. It couldn't have been.”

Jack's curiosity was piqued. “Couldn't be what? You can say it. I won't laugh.”

“Like... like a big cat, I think. And there seemed to be spots all over it."

"Interesting,” he said thoughtfully. “You just described a jaguar. You've never seen one before?"

"No! It was so beautiful! But it almost felt as if it were watching us. It's unnerving."

"You've seen a rare sight, darling. Jaguars are very elusive. And like most cats, very curious. It's nothing to worry about. They usually stay far away people. I wonder what brought her down here?"

"That's a relief. I would rather not become some huge cat's dinner. And why did you call it 'her'?" Honour asked. "In fact, you call so very many things 'her' or 'she'."

"I hadn't thought much about it. Force of habit, I suppose. I'm so used to referring to ships in the feminine, it spills over to other things."

"That's something I've always wanted to know, too; why do sailors do that? Say things like 'she's a fast ship.' Why not call it 'he'?"

"Because, my darling," Jack smiled, "A ship, like a beautiful woman, costs a fortune to keep in paint and powder!"

"Oh, you devil!! Take it back!" she laughed.

Bonita emerged from the heavy foliage behind the tavern. Her steps were stealthy yet purposeful. In her hand she carried Honour's hair ribbon and a leather lanyard Jack used to keep the cuff of his left boot from rolling down. She paused to make sure no one had seen her, then slipped through the tavern's back door.

Without a sound, Bonita lit a lamp and slipped into the storeroom where the wine and strong spirits were kept. She reached up to a shelf and moved a couple small wine casks aside. Reaching into the space, she retrieved two small poppets; one representing Honour, and the other Jack. She placed the dolls on a small work table along with a brass bowl that she filled part way with dried herbs. Then he lit a match off the lamp and used it to set the bowl of herbs smouldering. Closing her eyes as she picked up the dolls, Bonita passed the crude avatars through the smoke again and again while she softly spoke an incantation. Finally she took the dolls and placed them back to back, and began to wind the ribbon and lanyard about them.

"Wit' dese cords, toget'er dey spirits bound one to anot'er, yet dey hearts remain apart. Dey lives, dey be forever entwine, forever connected, but never share as man and woman." She clutched the dolls and touched them to her forehead, then spat on them. "Too much Bonita gave Jack Wolfe. Now we see how de great man do wit'out her!"

"Mmmm, that was nice!" Honour stretched out in the warm sand and closed her eyes.

Jack pulled her back to him and kissed her deeply.

"Jack, no! We really need to be getting back. The sun is starting to set and if there are jaguars around..."

He caressed her cheek and said, "That Jaguars was just curious. I'm sure she's just as skittish about us as we are of her."

Honour sat up and reached for her chemise. "I don't intend to put that to the test."

She tossed his shirt to him. "I suggest you get dressed, too."

“I suppose I should escort you back. Wouldn't want the jaguar to come after you.”

She shot him a look of mock astonishment as she stepped into her chemise and skirt, then looked for her bodice.

"How did it get over THERE?"

Jack laughed. "Well, when you flung it off, it hit me in the face. I could have thown it in that direction, but I was too busy watching you."

She looked around. "That's strange. I was sure I had my hair tied back in a ribbon."

"I thought you did, too. I remember you taking it out ever so slowly and then tossing your hair..."

Honour held her finger up. "Hush. Don't get your blood up. We've had enough romance for one afternoon."

He searched around. "I seem to be missing a lanyard. This IS odd."

Honour looked up into the trees. "Oh, look there! A scarlet tanager. I will wager if you look in his--or her--nest, you will find my ribbon and your lacing!"

He pulled his boots on and then put his hands on her shoulders. She smiled and leaned back into him.

He buried his face in her sea-scented hair and whispered, "Then let's consider it gone for a good cause!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Together they walked into the tavern. It seemed a whole new crew of buccaneers, swashbucklers and pirates had entered since Honour and Jack took some time out for themselves. Jack seemed to know them all. Cade Jennings was deep in conversation with another man. Jack said to Honour, "Excuse me, love. That is Captain James Blake and I must talk to him."

Honour looked over and did a double take. James? HERE? She looked around for a corner to disappear into.

Jack walked over to the two men. Honour sat at a corner table hoping to be inconspicuous. Bonita came over with a tankard of ale for herself and sat down uninvited.

Honour wished she would go away. She got a very uncomfortable feeling around the dark woman. It was as if she could see right through to her very soul.

Bonita eyed the young woman and said coolly, "It not like Jack Wolfe to marry at all, much less so sudden. Honour not know him long. How she do dat? Her don't look like she know juju."

Honour paled. "I didn't use any... juju, whatever is that is."

Bonita appraised her over her mug. "Dey somet'ing different about her, more dan what meet de eye. Dat why she have husband so fast. She use charms?"

Honour said, "I have no idea what you are talking about, Bonita." She didn't know if it was the mystic's thick accent or her menacing demeanor, but Honour found herself wishing she were back in that Barbados tavern, where things at least made sense.

Bonita laughed in a way that made her uncomfortable. "She not what she seem. She bind Jack wit' spells. Him not thinking clear. Dat not be our Jack Wolfe."

Honour tried to keep her voice steady.

"Bonita, the plain and simple fact is that Jack Wolfe fell in love with me. We got married. And I would appreciate it if you could accept the fact and not cause any trouble."

As she turned to go, Bonita whispered, "She bind to him, but dey not be one. Dey NEVER be one. She will see. Bones no lie..."

Honour sat shaking from her confrontation with Bonita. All she wanted to do was go upstairs and hide under the covers. Just then Jack came over with Cade and James Blake.

Blake had a startled look of recognition on his face. But before he could say anything, Jack said, "Honour, darling, I would like you to meet my good friend Captain Blake. James, this is my wife, Honour."

Honour stood very quickly and held out her hand. Before James could say anything, she said, "How do you do, Captain... Blake, is it?"

James raised his eyebrow at her and said in return, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

To Jack, he said, "Married! YOU? You old sea dog! She reminds me of a woman I knew from Beaumaris. Miss--I mean, Mrs--Wolfe, I don't suppose you have a sister there, do you?"

Honour's face coloured and she said, "I'm afraid not, Captain. My family is from the Shetland Islands in Scotland."

James tried to keep a straight face as he kissed her hand. "A thousand pardons, Mrs. Wolfe. I meant no offense."

He whispered as he let her hand go, "Shetland Islands, my arse!"

Honour turned to Jack and said, "Darling, I have a splitting headache. If you don't mind, I am going to retire to our room."

Jack kissed her cheek and said, "Aye. I won't be long, darling. Keep the bed warm!"

Honour heard their raucous laughter as she hurried up the stairs. Slamming the door shut, she sat on the bed and began breathing hard.

'Maybe this whole Tobago thing wasn't such a good idea. Maybe this whole wedding thing wasn't such a good idea either.......'

Jack watched as Honour once again retreated to their room.

“I said, your bum's on fire,” said Blake.

“What? Oh! Sorry, James. I was lost in thought for a moment.”

“More like you were lost in those skirts of hers. I know how your mind works, Jack.”

Jack laughed loudly. “And can you blame me, James? My God, she's so very beautiful! You'd count yourself lucky if such a woman found her way into your secretive life.”

Blake smiled to himself as he took a drink from his mug. “Aye, you're right. I would indeed.” He enjoyed the memory a moment before changing the subject. “I must say, Jack, marriage suits you! Not words I ever expected to utter.”

“Not a state I ever expected to be in. You can imagine my surprise that morning in Barbados when I woke up a husband.”

Blake laughed so hard he had to hold his sides. “I should have known there was booze involved! But the real shock is that you honoured the covenant. That's not like you at all! Usually that is reserved for sworn oaths of revenge.”

Jack put his hand on his friend's shoulder. “Honour is a rare woman, James.”

“She would have to be for you not to walk away.”

“I'm surprised myself. Quite the flower amongst the brambles, that one. I have to admit, I'm a bit worried about her. That's the second time she's beaten a hasty retreat back to our room. First time she was red-faced thanks to something thoughtless I did, and now she’s white as a sheet. I’m fairly certain this one isn’t my fault.”

“Let me ask you this; how surprised was she about waking up as your wife?”

“Same as me,” chuckled Jack. “But determined to make a go of it. Insistent, actually.”

Blake's eyebrows went up in surprise for a moment. “Then do the both of you a favour and slow things down, Jack. This is a big change for her, too. No doubt she's overwhelmed. She's leapt into your world. It's your obligation to make sure she lands softly.”

“When did you get so full of marital advice? I thought you were the consummate bachelor.”

“Still am. But she seems a sweet girl. I don't want to see her get hurt.” Blake winced inwardly, hoping he hadn't tipped his hand about knowing Honour. It would be awkward indeed for Jack to find out they knew one another, socially and in the biblical sense.

“What, and risk you riding in on your white horse to pick up the pieces should I muck things up?” Jack laughed. “I appreciate your concern, but don't worry yourself. I promise, she'll be in capable hands. In fact, she already has been. Didn't you notice the glow?”

“Who could miss it?” laughed Blake. “It's a shame you brought everyone here to talk business. Not the best way to celebrate your honeymoon, is it?”

“I'll tell you what, James,” Jack said quietly. “I plan to put off any business as long as I possibly can.”

“Oi! Wolfe!” a voice cried out. “You brung us all this way, now what about the smugglin' you wanted us buyin' into?” Other voices joined in the call for information.

Jack looked balefully at Blake. “Bollocks. Jinxed myself, didn't I?”

“You know what they say - if you want the Fates to laugh, tell them you have a plan.”

“Fate and I go way back, and it's never good. Right! Time to get down to business.” Jack quickly finished off his drink and stepped into the centre of the room. “Gather round, everyone! Let's talk about how we intend to capitalise on - I mean, serve the hungry populace of Trinidad, since the Spanish seems incapable of caring for their own.”

The people in the tavern closed in around Jack, intent on hearing his grand plan. Rumours about his scheme were plentiful, and he could see skepticism on more than one face.

“I've enjoyed a most friendly business partnership with the governor of Barbados for some time now. Recently, I was able to convince him to increase the scope of his beneficence. Thank the powers for greedy politicians, eh?”

The group chuckled their approval.

“This means anyone sailing under my flag may take safe harbour there. No questions, no inspections. Any goods you bring in will be legally condemned and made ready for sale as salvage. In addition, we get free run of the entire stretch of water between here and Barbados. Any merchants that find there way into our web we take.”

“What be the catch?” someone asked loudly.

“Catch?” said Jack. “There's no catch. We do what we do best, the governor gets his cut, and everyone is happy. Oh, and we don't take any English ships. They're off the table. No arguments.”

That set the entire room to loud and unhappy grumbling.

“What the ‘ell are ye tryin' ta pull on us, Wolfe? Not take English ships? Ye're crazier than what I ‘eard!” someone yelled in outrage.

“Now wait a minute, wait a minute!” countered Jack, more than a little annoyed. “That's the governor's only stipulation in this whole arrangement. Commonwealth ships are off limits. Otherwise we draw more attention than he can explain away and the deal's off. I don't care to have the Navy nosing about and making life difficult. This is the way it has to be. If any of you can't live with it, you know where the harbour is. If you’re not sure, keep walking until you get wet then take a left.”

Jack paused and waited for everyone to digest the terms. The grumbling died down, though a handful of men did angrily leave the tavern.

“All right, I'm assuming we're left with only serious players,” he continued. “Now, any ships taken by ships of our company should be brought here first, and inventoried in our own little Court of Admiralty. St. Lawrence can be used only if circumstances demand it.”

“And who'll be heading that up?” asked one of the pirates. “You, I'm supposin'?”

“Me? No. I have other priorities. I believe you saw her earlier. Our own Captain Cade Jennings will be heading that up.”

Cade turned and looked at Jack in open-mouthed astonishment. “Me?!”

Jack grinned sheepishly. “Oh, didn't I tell you? You're a captain now. Head of the Admiralty Court. Congratulations! Don't let it go to your head, you're still a powder monkey to me.”

“When did this happen?” asked Cade.

“Just now. Weren't you listening? If you don't want it...”

“No! It just took me by surprise is all.”

“The day I become predictable is the day your life gets easier, and there'll be none of that,” said Jack. “Anyway, the goods brought here will be assigned value and put up for auction.”

Another voice asked, “Are you expecting ships we don't know to come sailing in here to buy? That's just begging the Spanish navy to come calling!”

“Don't worry, that's not going to happen. Our buyers will land at the port of Scarborough, roughly ten miles to our south. There's a rough road that runs between here and there. They'll come to us that way. How they get their purchases into Trinidad is their problem. We stay away from the Spanish government's eyes, and we keep our prices just low enough for our customers to justify the risk. The monies will go into a common pool and be shared out appropriately."

"What are the terms, Admiral Wolfe?" a voice jeered.

"Aye! Admiral! That's good! I love a big hat, me, with lots of feathers."

The crowd laugh, but quickly settled down. Briggs gave his captain a very unsettled look. They were supposed to work all this out on the trip over, but Jack had been too busy with his new bride. What on earth would Jack say?

“Terms. Yes, terms, terms...” Jack said haltingly. He patted his pockets as if looking for papers. “Bollocks! How did that happen? I must have left them aboard ship. I promise, they're very equitable.”

“HOW equitable?”

“Very!” Jack reassured. “Look, you'll have the specifics tomorrow, how's that? Now, I have some pressing business to attend to. For you souls who know me well enough yet still trust me, see Master Briggs. He'll get you signed on and answer what questions he can. I'll even forget about the bigger hat if it makes everyone feel better!”

A smattering of laughter rippled through the group, and the men began to queue up at the small table Briggs had set up as a clerk's desk. They didn't care so much about the money, but enjoyed the thought of having free run to take nearly any merchant ship that came their way without looking over their shoulders.

Honour, who had been listening in on Jack's impromptu meeting, closed the door and crossed the room to lay across the bed. She flung her arm over her eyes and took a deep shuddering breath.

James! What is James Blake doing in Tobago, of all places? And why of all people did he have to be friends with Captain Jack Wolfe?

Her mind drifted back to another time, another place. It seemed like a lifetime ago, thanks to the whirlwind her life had become. Those two weeks with James. The laughter, the intimacy, the beautifully hollow lover's promises...

Honour got up out of the bed and poured a basin of water from the pitcher. She washed her face and then peered into the mirror.

'You sure know how to arrange things,' she whispered to her reflection.

She opened the casement window and breathed deeply the salt air, trying to clear her mind. The sea breeze wafted through the window, her silk nightdress swirling around her body. She could see the palms swaying in the moonlight. Nervously she ran her fingers through her hair. I can handle this, she thought. After what happened in Beaumaris, I can handle anything.

Honour pulled the coverlet down and slid into the bed.

'It was before we ever met', she thought. 'Jack need never know.'

Out loud she whispered softly, “God willing....”

Jack smiled as Cade, still trying to come to grips with his surprise promotion, made his way through the tavern crowd. "Ah, the newly minted Captain Jennings!” he smiled. “Are you forgetting something? New captain buys the house a round!"

A loud cheer went up, and the party was under way.

Cade laughed, "Good thing I know what is in the coffers of the tavern, Jack.This round goes 'on the house' and I won' be lighter in the pockets."

"Well, seeing as we are equal in rank now, I will leave you to see to it the men behave and don't break too much of the furniture."

"I don't think that will be a problem. After all, she scares the living hell out of

the men. Afraid she will put the evil eye on them and render some body parts useless when they need them most."

"Where did you hear that?"

"Angelique over at Madame Renee's. She told me that is the excuse they use when things just aren't up to snuff in the boudoir. Glad I have always stayed on the cordial side of said demon woman."

Out of the corner of his eye, Jack saw the brooding figure of Bonita standing behind the bar, staring daggers at him.

He looked at her a moment and sighed. 'A conversation better left for much later. Like the day we leave,' he thought.

Jack picked up his frock coat.

"And now, dear Cade, I shall leave you to host this soiree. Seems I need to take my leave and go to my room. Marital duty, meaningful conversation and all that....."

Cade laughed, "Oh, such a burden! I'm sure you are up to the task."

Jack turned as he headed towards the stairs.

"Just look for the glow."

"On her....or you?"

As Jack headed towards the staircase, he found Bonita blocking the way.

“You know I hate it when you do that,” said Jack.

"Him never learn, never once in all de time Bonita know him. So many changes so quickly? What be chasing him so hard that make him turn de world upside down?"

"Nothing wrong with a bit of change. I think the smuggling operation will be a great success, and Cade has earned his station."

Bonita smiled knowingly. "Always de businessman, and always so careful to talk about only what HIM want to. Him know de changes I speak of. Dat woman! How can him possibly know her?"

"Well, that's what this little honeymoon is for..."

"Hear me, Jack Wolfe!" she hissed. "Dat woman who share you name and you bed, she not what you think! Bonita gonna find out what charms she use to snare you heart."

Jack gave Bonita an incredulous look. "So, you're telling me that my new bride is, ah, what's the word... oh, yes! A witch? Honestly, Bonita!"

"Bonita know dese t'ings, Jack. Him need to be wary of dat crafty child!"

He looked upon his trusted friend and advisor with a look of disbelief tinged with pity. "Why are you doing this? Wait, never mind. I may be daft, but I'm far from stupid. It pains me that you chose this time to play me for a fool."

He turned on his heel and started up the stairs. "See to it our new partners have another round. This one's on me!"

Jack climbed the stairs and quietly entered his and Honour's room. Honour stirred from her half-sleep and smiled at him.

"Is the party over already?" she asked.

"No, no, it's still going strong. But my mind was up here with you. Too many strange conversations for one evening, though. Most I can easily dismiss, but one in particular has me puzzled."

Honour felt her heart sink but kept her voice noncommittal.

"Oh? What was it about?" she asked. 'Please, please, please do not let it be about James...'

"I can hardly believe I even listened to such foolishness."

Her stomach tightened, but she hid it as best she could. "What bothered you so, Jack? You know you can tell me."

"Believe it or not, darling," he laughed, "Bonita says you're a witch."

Honour drew the sheet closer to her and gave a brittle laugh.

"A witch? ME?"

Jack took off his shirt and threw it over the chair.

"Aye. You. I think she's finally gone round the bend."

"So does she intend to have me bound and cast into a caldron of water? Will she look for birthmarks and moles?"

Jack chuckled, "No, and I am the only one that is privy to the heart-shaped freckle on your----NOT IN THE FACE!"

He laughed as she hit him with the pillow.

"But----but what reason did she give for that outrageous accusation?"

Jack sat on the edge of the bed and pulled his boots off, kicking them under the bed.

"Some nonsense about charms and tricks. Bonita thinks you tricked me into marrying you. Can you believe it?"

He dropped his breeches and flung them in the corner.

She sighed and shook her head. "Bonita has very strange ideas, Jack. I could tell that about her as soon as you introduced us."

"Kind of jumps out at you, doesn't it?” he said as he pulled the sheet down and slid into bed. “Her tia – aunt - was a very powerful priestess and taught Bonita everything she knew. She figures that corners the market for her on strangeness."

Jack punched up his pillow and put his arm around Honour. She pressed her body closer to him as if for protection.

Jack kissed the top of her head and said, "You're trembling, darling. Are you cold?"

The curtains were blowing into the room. She said, "Just a bit. The night air is chilly."

He held her close. "Always is once the sun goes down. Don't worry about Bonita. She has uncanny powers of observation but this time I know she is wrong."

Honour tried to toss off the notion of being called a witch. "I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life, Jack! A witch, of all things!"

"Although she may have something there...."

Honour pulled away from Jack. "Whatever do you mean?"

He pulled her back to him, brushing her hair back and kissing her neck as his hands caressed her. "You certainly have bewitched me."

"I have been found out, as this was my plan from the beginning,” she whispered into his ear. “Now you are under my spell forever."

She looked longingly into his eyes. "And I do so love this island for a honeymoon, my love."

He kissed her slowly and passionately. "Welcome to Tobago, love...."

The morning sun streamed into the room. A gentle breeze carried in the perfume of a myriad of tropical flowers. Jack stirred and woke to find that he and Honour had barely moved from the way they'd held each other after making love. He smiled and gently brushed a strand of golden hair from her face. She drew in a soft waking breath and smiled, her eyes fluttering open to meet his.

"You've got that look in your eyes again, Jack Wolfe," she whispered.

"And what look is that, darling?"

"That look of wanting to lie abed with me, but knowing that duty calls."

"Oh, that look! Am I that transparent?"

"As Italian crystal," she smiled, and kissed him softly. "Go. Play captain and I'll join you later. I still need a bit of rest after last night. I've never seen a man with such stamina."

"As you wish, darling. But mind you--if I come back and find you still in bed, I'll be obliged to join you."

Honour pushed him away playfully. "Keep dreaming, you tarry sailor! Out of my bed! Go! Go and make us rich!"

They laughed and talked as he dressed. They kissed once more, and he opened the door to leave.

"Oh, Honour, did I mention that there are scorpions on this island?"

"No, you never did. I think I'd remember such a thing," she replied worriedly.

"Yeah, well, just the same--be careful. I'd hate for one to crawl into bed with you."

Honour yelped and threw the covers off, and jumping up on the bed looked for any unwanted guests.

"Ah, there's that freckle that I love!" Jack laughed.

Her eyes grew wide as she realised he'd played a prank on her.

"Oh!! That's it! Out with you!!" she laughed, and threw a pillow at his head. Jack ducked out and closed the door, smiling happily.

As he walked down the stairs, he saw Cade and Briggs sitting at a table looking over some charts and papers.

"Well, well! The last time I saw him this chipper, we had a full load of swag in our hold and a burning Spaniard to our rudder! What brings you down from Heaven, Admiral?" Cade joked.

"I wanted to make sure your new commission hadn't gone to you're head, Captain, sir!" Jack quipped. He looked around the room, and noticed something was amiss. "Oi, where's Bonita? I'm starved."

"I saw her walkin' down by the shore early this mornin'," Josiah replied. "Damned if I know what that wild woman be up to, nor where she intends to do it."

"Fine. She's been right moody of late. No matter. Cade, fetch me that bowl of apples, if you please."

"Pulling rank, are we?" Cade asked.

"Damned right, and step quickly! Honestly, Josiah, why did I ever promote him?"

"What, like ye ever ask anyone before ye go and do it?"

"Good point. Ah, thanks, mate." Jack bit into a juicy red apple before continuing. "Now, gentlemen. Down to business..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honour laid in the bed, smiling inexplicably. Well, alright, so she knew why she was smiling. But she couldn't quite figure out why she should be feeling so exceptionally... content.

She closed her eyes and stretched her arms above her head, yawning.

Leaning over the side of the bed, she looked under it.

Good.

No scorpions.

She put her feet down on the floor and got up. Grabbing her dressing gown of silk, she walked over to the French doors and opened them.

The view of the azure sea and the palm trees framing the yellow sand was breath-taking. While she had gone back to sleep, Jack must have brought a bowl of fruit up and left it on the dresser. Taking a mango, she bit into it, deep in thought.

She had only been married to Captain Wolfe a week. A week! Her first marriage had lasted just over ten months. Ten long, terrible months.

She felt she knew Jack better than she did Madoc. She shuddered at the thought of her deceased husband. If it hadn't been for Rhys keeping her sane...

Honour pushed the thought of Rhys Morgan far down into her soul.

'This is not the time nor the place to be bringing that memory up from the depths', she thought.

I'll think about that later.

Some day.

Some day when it doesn't hurt so much.

Honour inhaled deeply the blossomed air with the underlying sea breeze. Just a glorious day to be alive and...in love?

Was she in love?

She wondered. It felt... different than it did with Rhys.

'Maybe because I am older', she reasoned. 'After all, I AM nineteen now.'

She threw on a chemise and quickly laced a waist cincher. No need to bother with a skirt. She tied her hair up in a ribbon and headed down the stairs.

Jack was talking with Briggs and Cade. They had maps and charts spread out and were studying them intently. Briggs pointed to an area.

"Now, if we expand the port over on this side..."

"Yes, but there are shoals over here..." said Cade.

“Why make it too easy?” Jack asked.

The three of them looked up as Honour reached the bottom stair.

"Mornin', Mrs. Wolfe," Briggs said stiffly.

Cade smiled and nodded.

Jack walked over to her and kissed her lovingly, and touched her ribbon in her hair.

"Dressed casually, are we, love? Not fitting the station of a pirate queen."

She giggled at his attention. "I intend to go to the cove and maybe pick some of the fruit there. Or catch myself a macaw."

Jack laughed uproariously at that. "And what do you intend to put him in? Your chemise?"

She coloured at that. "Alright, so I will forego the parrot. But I intend for you to catch one for me before we leave."

Honour kissed his cheek, and waved to the others as she walked out. picking up a basket that was left by the door. Looking back just once, she saw the men resume their consultation of the charts.

All but one.

Cade Jennings was watching her leave. As she caught his eye, he quickly looked back to the charts on the table.

Odd, she thought.

Very odd.

Jack tapped a brass ruler on the table. Cade blinked and looked over at his mentor.

“What?”

“Just making sure you're back with us, Cade,” chuckled Jack.

“Head on a swivel, I swear,” teased Briggs. “Your mama get scared by an owl?”

Cade found himself blushing. He hadn't meant to stare at Honour. But she was so lovely...

“I'm sorry, Jack. I don't know what came over me.”

“Can't say as I blame you. She is beautiful.” He gave Cade a stern look. “And taken, just remember.”

“I'd be a fool to even thing of trying anything, not that I would.”

“Yeah, you would be. But I taught you better, so there's that. Besides, I trust you with my life.”

“And now who's the fool?” chuckled Briggs.

“Really?” said Jack. “I've seen you taking your share of looks, old friend.”

Briggs' face turned bright red. “Well, I, um...”

“Uh-huh. Just as I thought.”

“Wait! What? Did you just-- ?” sputtered the quartermaster.

“Get you to confess you've been sneaking looks at my wife? Do I have to keep an eye on you too, Josiah?”

Cade was laughing openly by now, and Briggs couldn't help but join in.

“All right, gentlemen, we all agree Honour is a very fetching woman. Now if we can come to a consensus over how to handle the increased traffic into our port, we'll be getting somewhere.”

“I've been meaning to ask, Jack,” said Cade. “When did you negotiate the letter of marque with Culley? I thought you hadn't met with him in months.”

“What does it matter?” Jack replied.

“It will matter a great deal to our partners if they arrive at St. Lawrence with a hold full of swag and nowhere to sell it. But there's no danger of that. Is there?”

Jack fiddled with a protractor. “No imminent danger, no.”

Cade looked at him in disbelief. “There isn't a letter, is there? You made it up?!”

“A little louder please, Cade. I don't think they heard you in bloody Anguilla!”

“I can't believe you lied about something this important, Jack!” pressed Cade, though considerably quieter.

“Ye're playin' this one fast and loose, Jack,” added Briggs. “More'n usual.”

“Look, there will be a letter of marque, when I can show Culley just how profitable this arrangement will be for him.” Jack took a deep breath and sighed. “He wouldn't consider it without proof I could get the ships and minimise his risk. But now, we have the ships, and more will sign on. I'll be sailing back in a few days to Barbados, and I'll prove our case and get the letter. Simple as that. What could go wrong?”

“He could say no,” said Briggs grimly.

“That's because you're not a positive thinker.”

Cade leaned on the table. “And I'll be the one left holding the bag if we can't produce the letter. Remember, I'm the one you put in charge here. They'll be coming to me for the answers.”

“Yes, yes, I haven't forgotten, and I wouldn't leave you high and dry,” said Jack. “Once I get the letter, it will be on its way here by fast packet. That's a promise.”

“All right, Jack. I trust you.” Cade said, though half-heartedly.

“Fine! It's all settled then.” Jack picked up a sheaf of papers and headed for the door.

“And where are ye goin'?” Briggs asked.

“To find my wife! We're going birding.”

“We still have these plans to look over!”

“Later!” said Jack breezily as he left the tavern.

Cade and Briggs looked at each other in disbelief.

“Think he'll pull it off?” asked Cade.

Briggs shrugged. “We'll find out together!”

• 2 weeks later...

"HELP!"

Captain James Blake looked around.

"HELP!"

A coconut bounced onto the ground and rolled at his feet.

"HEY!" he shouted.

"SORRY!"

He looked up.

"What are you doing up THERE?"

"I'm stuck, what do you think?"

He chuckled and shielded his eyes.

"Honour Bright, you get yourself into the most unusual predicaments!"

The voice from up the tree yelled, "IT'S MRS. WOLFE! AND HELP ME GET DOWN!"

"Wait right there, I'll be up to help."

"Where am I going to go?"

James deftly shimmied up the tree. When he got to the palm fronds, he burst out laughing.

"HOW on God's green earth did you manage THAT?"

Honour was hanging there by her lacings which had caught on the back of two fronds and she was swinging free.

She said tightly, "Just get me down without dropping me on my----"

"Alright, alright. Let's see....just move this lace that way...and that lace this way....now hold onto the fronds so you don't drop....oh, dear!"

"AHHHHHH!"

Honour was thrown to the ground and landed on a pile of the fronds.

"OOOF!"

James climbed down and jumped the last five feet.

He bent over into a bow. "I trust you had a soft landing. No broken bones?" he asked as he helped her up.

She checked all over and said, "No, I seem to be in one piece."

James said quietly, "Good. Your husband would not be pleased and would probably run someone through out of temper."

"Surely you jest, James. He's very loving and wonderful to me."

James stopped in his tracks and looked at her incredulously. "And have you ever wondered why he is the foremost revered pirate in the Caribbean?"

She shrugged and said, "I didn't know that he was."

"He's absolutely brilliant. His campaigns are a success and his pillaged holdings are beyond belief. Some say he gets inside information and is blessed by unconventional means."

"What do you mean?"

"Word around the ports is he has help of a supernatural kind."

"James, will you PLEASE stop speaking in riddles?"

He sighed and said, "Some people say Bonita is a witch. A voodoo practitioner and Jack is the recipient of her wisdom."

She burst out laughing. "Voodoo? Bonita is nothing but smoke and mirrors!"

James shrugged, "Just repeating what I hear."

They walked on the shore in silence, Honour picking up a few shells.

James broke the silence and said, "Why did you go off with him? Why not wait for me?"

"You never asked, James. And we didn't know each other long enough."

"How long did you know Captain Jack Wolfe?"

Honour's head was down and she whispered something.

"What, Honour? I didn't hear you."

She brought her face up and her face was blushed. "I said, 'five hours.' "

"Five hours? Am I hearing right or did you say 'days'?"

She said hotly, "I couldn't help it. It's something that I--we----can't explain!"

James smiled wryly, "I must say you held out for the top dog, as it were. Tell me, Honour---is the reason you married him measured in millions?"

She raised her hand to slap him but he caught her hand and raised his eyebrow.

"Did I touch a nerve, love?"

She jerked her hand away. "I told you. I can't explain it. And I shouldn't have to."

James looked out to the sea. "I did come back, Honour. Amos told me you had gone away. Someone in your family was ill."

"What? I have no family."

"That's what I thought."

"When was this?"

"Back in February. I know because I had just come back from a meeting with your husband. He had a business deal for me and I turned him down. You want to know why?"

Honour picked up the shell and turned it over in her hand, letting the sand run through her fingers.

"Because you had other pressing business?"

"You could say so. I came back to St Lawrence to find you."

"Me? But I..."

Her voice trailed off. She unconsciously touched the faint scars where Corwin had dragged his sword across her chest.

"Oh...February. Yes. Well, I was visiting family. My....my sister came into town and I spent the day with her. Yes. That had to have been the day."

James looked toward the horizon.

"It could have been us...." his voice trailed off.

Honour sighed. "Amos. God bless him, he went and made a decision for me. And damn him too."

James turned to her, a wry smile on his face. "Think we could have made it work?"

She shook her head. "James, it was too soon. My fiance had died."

He stroked her cheek. "I would have taken you around the world, Honour."

She touched his hand and gently removed it from her face. "No, James. You say that now. But if you really wanted to, you would have taken me then and there. You left me with a bolt of sky blue silk and a lovely memory."

He shook his head. "I couldn't get you out of my mind. You invaded my daydreams and haunted my nights."

She turned away from him."This isn't fair. You can't leave and then come back whispering these confessions and expect me to tell you it is alright and expect more."

She held up her hand, the emerald ring glinting in the sun.

"This. This is what is tangible. A lover's promise never came with a maybe."

She looked up and saw the darkening sky.

"Looks like rain. I'm heading back. You can walk with me if you want to but no more chastising. No more 'what ifs' and 'why didn't yous.' This is now a closed subject. Married I am and married I am staying."

He said, "Till death do you part. Well, as you wish, Mrs. Wolfe."

• 2 weeks later...

"By the powers, what are these men thinking of when they named their ships?" Jack asked out loud to no one as he walked along the path, reviewing the list of the captains who had signed the roster, and their ships. "I mean, really! Privateers Greed? Stating the bloody obvious, that. Victorious Secret? A very odd sense of humour at work. Oh! There you are!" he called as he spied Honour and James walking together. "James! Have you seen the names of some of these ships? Wait a moment... what be the name of your vessel again?" He looked through the list. "Ah! The Dark Vexation! Moody, but it works."

"Aye, Jack. If I may ask, what has you in such a cheery mood today?" Blake asked.

"She's stand right next to you, mate. Or have you fallen suddenly blind? Hello, Honour, dear. My, don’t you have a lovely pair of coconuts!"

"I what?? Oh!" she gasped, and realized he was speaking of the two coconuts she'd knocked from the tree. "I found them lying on the ground and I thought they looked interesting," she offered, with a slight blush to her cheeks.

"That they do. But I digress. James, how fast is your ship again?"

"The Vexation can outrun any navy ship, and most pirate hunters. I’d say she’s fast enough."

"Most pirate hunters? I suppose that will have to do."

"She’s no Lobo, but being second to the fastest ship in these waters is a good place to be."

"Aye, it makes my life easier, since all I have to do is outrun you!” laughed Jack.

After a moment James laughed too. Honour smiled, trying to decide what to make of the friendly sparring.

“All jest aside, James, I have an offer to make you. I'd like you to take a larger role in the offshore operations. You're a fine captain, and you have a fine ship and solid crew. What say you?"

"Just like that?"

"You have a problem with taking a larger share, James? I mean, I can find someone else if you’re not up to it..."

James blinked, trying to figure out Jack’s generosity. "Not at all!" he said happily. “I have to say this is an unexpected turn of things.”

“I agree, putting my trust in you has got even me scratching my head, but what can I say? I’m feeling agreeable these days. Must be something in the air. That hint of jasmine, I should think,” Jack said with a wink at Honour. "Now, James, I'll escort my wife the rest of the way. That is, if you don't mind terribly."

Blake looked from Jack to Honour, and he touched the brim of his hat as he smiled at her. "No, not at all," he lied. "Mrs. Wolfe, I have enjoyed our conversation. Thank you for your company. Captain Wolfe, I’ll leave you to your lovely wife. And I'll be off to tend my ship." James strolled off down the path to the wharf, wondering to himself just how much more good fortune could possibly fall to a man like Jack Wolfe.

Jack and Honour strolled along for a while, enjoying the scenery and each other’s company.

“You and James seemed to be getting on well,” he finally said. “I’ve never seen him quite so talkative with a woman he’s just met.”

Honour caught herself not breathing, and her face began to feel hot. “He’s quite a gentleman for a pirate,” she said clumsily. “I mean, he was very respectful and polite.”

“That’s James, right down the line. But don’t let that cordial demeanour fool you. He can be as ruthless as they come.”

She thought about the two weeks she and James had spent together, and how tender and attentive he had been toward her. The idea of him being ruthless didn’t seem to fit. But then, she had given him plenty of reasons to be tender and attentive.

Honour cleared her throat. “Yes, well, I’m glad you aren’t jealous that he and I were talking.”

“Jealous? Not one bit,” he chuckled. “No, James Blake is too busy mooning over some woman he met in port a few months ago. Seems sincere about it, too. Best I can tell, at any rate. It’s hard to judge with a man like James. He keeps his thoughts and intentions under tight wraps. I never thought I’d see that man that caught up in anything but the sea. Certainly not some woman.”

Again, Honour found herself not breathing. She knew exactly which woman James was so serious about, serious enough change his world. Her.

She swallowed hard, still keeping a grip on her composure. The old desire to run was building fast in her stomach. “I’m sure people have said the same of you,” she said with a forced laugh.

“Plenty. Hell, I’ve said it about me! The power of a good woman, eh?” Jack smiled. “I’ve come to understand his reasoning. But I do have a serious question for you.”

"Yes, Jack?" she said hesitantly

"You're the wife of a pirate now. There may come a time, forbidding all, that you may need to defend yourself. I'd like to teach you how to handle a blade, if you'd like. To tell the truth, I'd sleep easier if you did."

Jack's honesty surprised her. "I would love for you to teach me, my husband. But I need to change!" Honour looked at the sky. "It looks like rain. Do we have time?"

He looked up at the clouds. "Aye, we've got an hour or two still."

They walked briskly back to the tavern, chatting about everything and nothing.

"I'll be right back down. Please take care of these for me?" She handed the coconuts over to Jack. "I promise I'll only be a moment!"

Honour started up the stairs, and Jack called after her, "I'll happily take care of your coconuts, whenever you ask!" He placed the coconuts on the counter as he watched her climb the stairs.

"You're a bad man, Jack Wolfe!" she laughed. In a moment, she disappeared into their room.

"Her have no idea what trut’ she say, Jack Wolfe!" a voice snapped harshly behind him, accompanied by the slam of a pick being driven into one of the coconuts.

"Bonita! I didn't notice you appearing out of nowhere like that." He gazed uneasily at the coconut she'd stabbed all the way to the handle of the pick. “Be a dear and milk these?”

"Milk dese Bonita will, like him milk everyone him touch."

"I sense a touch of bitterness on your part, dear."

Bonita drew the pick from the coconut and had the point scarcely an inch from Jack's eye in a flash. "Him de one what have no idea now." She slammed the pick on the countertop and stalked off.

Jack drew a heavy breath and tries to shake off her threat. He crossed the room to an innocuous looking door and, after digging for a key, unlocked it. He opened it to reveal an impressive arsenal.

He started looking for a suitable sword when he felt a tap on his shoulder. "What the blue blazes...!" he yelped, and spun around to find a surprised Honour standing before him.

"What's gotten into you?" she asked?

"You've got a bit of cat-like quietness, don't you! Caught me lost in thought, looking for a suitable blade. That's all," he lied.

"Oh, my lord, look at all this!" she marvelled. "Can I pick my own, please?"

"Do you know the first thing about swords, love?"

"I know what I like! And I like... this one!" She grabbed an intricately wrought rapier with a gold inlaid basket.

"Oh, you don't want that. Too long and too unwieldy on the deck of a ship."

"But, I like it!" she pouted. "It's impressive, and I think it looks good on me."

"Oh, all right. When you put it that way," Jack laughed. He fitted her with a belt and a frog for the scabbard. He helped her on with the belt and got the sword hung neatly on the left hip. As he slung on his halberd and cutlass, he caught her switching her blade to her right hip.

"Here, now! What are you on about? Put that back!"

"But I like it over here! It looks better."

"Are you left handed?"

"Um... no. Why?"

"How do you intend to quickly draw your sword when it's on the wrong hip?"

"Oh... FINE." she acquiesced, and shifted the rapier back to the correct hip.

"Follow me, you dangerous fashion plate, you," he teased.

They went out the back of the tavern to a groomed area that resembled a fighting ring. He stepped behind her, and placed his hands on her hips.

"Is this entirely proper?" she teased.

"We're husband and wife, love. It's all proper!" he whispered in her ear. "Now," he said softly, "draw your sword."

She drew the rapier and held it tight.

"No, love, not like that. It's not a meat cleaver. Oh, fine, it is, but a bit more refined. Here, hook your forefinger through that section there - that's it! See how it feels more balanced? That's my love!" He stepped around in from of her and drew his sword. "Now, I want you to forget about your hand. The sword is your arm. Focus on the tip. The tip is everything. Your enemy gets inside the first 8 inches of your blade, you've lost the advantage. Now, slowly, deflect my blade."

He moved his sword about, slowly encroaching on her blade. She focused intently and, to his surprise, deftly defended herself.

"Excellent! You're a near natural to this. Now, I presume you can dance, yeah?"

"Of course I can dance!" she chided. "Why, can you? I though we were here to learn about swords, not waltzing."

"Now here comes the real elegance of swordplay. Your foot work. If you can dance, you've got the proverbial fighting chance. Keep in mind what I said about the tip. You seem to understand defending yourself, now let's see if you can attack with the same aplomb!"

Jack fell into a defensive posture, and teased her forward. "Come on! I can dodge your best! Attack the tip of my blade.."

Honour felt the rapier fit her hand very nicely. It was a French rapier with a three ringed swept hilt, and bone gripping. Not like that piece of cheap brass Captain Adam Faraday had given her.

'If Rhys hadn't taught me all I knew about swordplay and self defense, the Corwin chapter in my life could have a very different ending. ' But to Jack, she was convent raised and what would a ward of a abbess know about defending one's honour--and life--with a blade?

The misplacement of the scabbard from left hip to right was a nice maneuver on her part to cover her expertise.

She delicately moved forward, getting the feel of the hilt and the heft of the blade.

She took a small step forward and her blade clashed with Jack's.

"Now you are getting the hang of it, love."

He thrust the sword carefully, controlling his move so she would not feel quite so defensive.

A resounding zing in the air and suddenly she was transported back to another time, another place.

Two years ago. A dark, snowy winter night when she was fighting for her life and that of the man she loved.

Tropical sunlight glinted off Jack's sword, just as the firelight had reflected from Madoc's that terrible night.

She took hold of the sword and whispered one word.

'Bastard.'

'BASTARD!' She screamed.

The sword took on a life of its own, wielded in the hands of a woman he loved.

She swung with all her might as Jack ducked just in time, the blade resounding against his ear.

"What?!" he yelped, completely surprised by her sudden turn. He brought his blade up quickly to parry her next strike. The clash of her sword against his rang loudly in the air.

Honour, stop! What are you doing?" he shouted, but she never responded. Normally he could gauge where an opponent would strike next by following her eyes. But Honour wasn't looking at him. She was looking through him.

She swung her sword downward, and he sidestepped the attack, using his blade to drive hers into the sand.

Jack used the opportunity to get behind her. If he could move quickly enough, he could grab her before...

Honour yanked the sword free and slashed at him. He barely deflected her blow. She swung hard again, giving him no other choice but to dive for the ground. Her sword cut deep into the palmetto tree that had been directly behind him.

Tears streamed down her face as she yelled, 'You bastard! You'll never do that to me again! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!'

"Honour! HONOUR!" he said loudly, trying to bring her out of whatever had possessed her so. "Easy! It's me! It's Jack! HONOUR!"

Suddenly she quit struggling. Her breath was ragged, the tears still flowing down her cheeks. She looked around for a moment, confused as to what had just happened, then began to sob.

Jack kept hold of her, walking her backward slowly from the sword that was buried in the trunk of the hapless tree.

"It's all right, love. You're safe. You're always safe with me," he said soothingly. Honour's legs went weak, and he lowered her easily to the ground.

She leaned back against the tree wiping her face with her hands.

"I'm sorry....I'm so sorry....' she said over and over again.

Jack put his arm around her and cupped her face with his hand.

"Honour?" he said softly. "What did someone do to you?"

She turned her head.

"Nothing. It was...nothing."

"Nothing? Darling, a less experienced swordsman would be pushing up daisies by now."

She took a shuddering breath. "I guess it was in the tavern before I met you. I always had to be on my toes and once...in an alley....well, Amos got to me in time before he could...could...."

She gave him a faltering smile. "I am alright now. Really I am."

She looked over at the tree, then cast her eyes down. Her shoulders sagged.

"The tree....not so much so."

She gave him a faltering smile. "I am alright now. Really I am."

She looked over at the tree, then cast her eyes down. Her shoulders sagged.

"The tree....not so much so."

She looked back at Jack, pain in her eyes.

"I--I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean to....to..."

With that she turned her head so he wouldn't see the tears filling her eyes again.

Jack took her in his arms, and gently stroked her hair. "It's all right, love. Plenty more trees where that one came from."

He eyed the tree, still not believing the ferocity with which she had attacked it. "But I think we're done with weapons training for today," he said.

She nodded slowly and started to rise. Jack took her arm and helped her up.

"That beautiful tree...'she said remorsefully.

"Don't worry your pretty head over it, love. The monkeys will find somewhere else to play."

The first heavy drops of rain began to fall. "Here, you go on back to the tavern before you get drenched. I'll be along in a moment."

But before she could answer, the skies opened in a downpour.

"Jack!" she said over the thunder. "I need to get that sword."

Rain poured down her face, mixing with the trace of tears. Rivulets of rain ran down her back.

"I'll get it for you, Honour," he answered. "You just get inside!"

Honour hesitated for a moment, then ran towards the tavern. Jack waited until she was inside before he turned back to the tree.

"I don't know who she thought you were, mate, but I pity you. And him."

Jack took hold of the sword's hilt, and put a boot heel against the tree. He shoved the tree as hard as he could while he wrestled to free the lodged blade. Suddenly, the sword popped free, sending Jack reeling backwards before falling in the sand. He watched as the tree slowly twisted where it had been gashed, its bark and wood splitting noisily as the tree sagged to the ground.

Getting back on his fee, Jack held the sword up, looking from it to the tree, then to the tavern where Honour had gone. A mixture of worry and disbelief played across his face. There was something dark Honour wasn't telling him, and he wasn't sure he wanted to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honour quietly opened the door to the tavern, hoping against hope that the queen of voodoo was nowhere to be seen. She shivered as the storm blew the tavern door open and then slammed shut, jumping at the unexpected noise. In a panic, she ran outside to see where Jack was, the overwhelming need to be held by him more than she could bear. She saw him trudging up the path, rain pouring off the brim of his hat, his silk shirt plastered to his chest.

She couldn't stand it another moment and ran to him, her face lit against the background of a flash of lightning.

"Honour, are you daft? Get back in that room!"

She looked like a frightened child.

He grabbed her arm and led her into the tavern great room.

"I--I was afraid. It was almost as if something sinister was in the room."

She shrugged and laughed in a shaky voice. "I guess I was a bit spooked."

He glanced over to the countertop and saw the two coconuts slashed and hacked to pieces.

"Let's go upstairs and get into some dry clothes. If I'm with you, then no hobgoblins will dare pester you," he said as they climbed the stairs. "How are you feeling now?"

Jack hoped he could keep her attention, she wouldn't see the ruined coconuts.

"Wet," she shuddered. "And a bit foolish. I don't know what got into me out there."

That was a lie. She knew full well what had happened. For just a moment, she hadn't seen a tree. She had seen Madoc and Corwin, somehow horribly fused into one monstrous entity. Her instinct to survive took over from there.

In their room, Honour wrung out her hair over a basin and Jack had taken off his wet clothes and had put some dry breeches on. Opening up a cabinetl,he pulled out a bottle. Pulling the stopper, he filled two glasses with the amber liquid.

"What is this?"

"It's brandy. A little something to take the chill off you and relax you."

She gratefully took the glass and sipped it.

A shiver ran through her body as the alcohol coursed through her veins. She tried to will her hand to stop shaking.

Closing her eyes, she murmured, "Just what I need on a night like this."

She walked over to the French doors and looked out over the courtyard where in a flash of lightning she saw the hapless tree lying there. In the brilliant light of it, the palm took on the shape of a man lying there....just lying there. Thunder crashed and she dropped her glass, shattering it against the floor.

Jack took her in his arms and eased her away from the window. "Easy now, love! That's it, just follow my lead."

He took his wet breeches and threw them on top of the broken glass.

"I'll clean that up later. The brandy was supposed to calm your nerves, not make them worse. Dear lord, you're shaking like a leaf!"

"I-- I'll be fine," she said halfheartedly.

"Let's get you out of these wet clothes and get you warmed up," said Jack. He smiled and looked into her eyes as he unlaced her bodice.

Honour shivered, but not from the cold this time. He was giving her something much more pleasant to think about.

Jack looked up into Honour's eyes and what he saw startled him. It was the completely trusting look she had. He loosened the drawstring on her skirt and it fell into a puddle of silk at her feet.

Jack felt his pulse quicken as he tenderly pushed her wet hair away from her face.

"You must have been a very beguiling child, Honour Bright. I can almost see you come up for air after diving into a pond," he said softly.

Suddenly a reminiscence came unbidden to her mind. The memory of a girl on the verge of womanhood.The thunder...the lightning....the rain outside a cave. A dress of butter yellow and the arms of a pirate she loved from long ago.

The wet chemise slipped to the floor as she put her arms around Jack and whispered, "Just love me...one more time..."

Honour laid there contentedly, her arms wrapped around Jack, her blonde hair trailing across his chest.She gave a satisfied sigh.

He kissed the top of her head . "Are you feeling better now?"

She looked up at him and nodded. "I am sorry. I don't know what possessed me to attack the tree like that."

"You yelled out, 'bastard'. I must inform you, darling, that my parents were lawfully wed."

Honour blushed and buried her face for a moment in his chest. "It wasn't you. I-- I don't know what it was about. I'm just glad I didn't hurt you."

"Honour," he said gently, "What happened? Who is the bastard?"

She took a deep breath before she began to weaver her lie. "I was walking near the Varlet and Vixen when I landed in St Lawrence. As I neared an alley, a ruffian grabbed me from behind and dragged me in the alley. He had a knife. I guess when you advanced towards me, the memory came back. But I feel better now, " she laughed shakily. "I think it was a catharsis for me."

She reached up and ran her fingers gently through his hair, smoothing it away from his face. "I can guarantee it won't happen again. And to be sure, maybe you should keep sharp pointy things away from me."

Jack touched her cheek, a look of worry on his face. "That must have been terrifying for you. I hope you weren't hurt by him. Or is that where the scar came from?"

Honour self-consciously covered up the faint crisscross of scars over her chest.

She couldn't meet Jack's eyes. "I--I didn't think you would notice."

"I notice everything, love. It's a handy talent in my line of work. Though with someone as exquisite as you, my attention is tenfold."

He gently touched her chin to turn her face back toward his.

"Don't worry. The scars don't diminish your beauty one iota. But if the bastard hurt you beyond that, I'd be interested in squaring the score."

She gently took his hand away and kissed it.

"I couldn't even begin to tell you what he looked like. It was dark. But no, he didn't hurt me beyond that. Amos came to my rescue just in time. That is how I started working at the Varlet and Vixen. He offered me employment. I stayed there until I found something better."

"And I guess you never did."

She moved up and kissed his neck.

"I surely did. A full time occupation as Mrs. Captain Jack Wolfe."

"I must warn you. The job entails cooking and cleaning....among other things. Do you think you are up for the position?"

Honour smiled slyly. "As long as the other things outweigh any cooking and cleaning duties, I think I might be interested."

Jack grinned, and kissed her playfully. "Look what you've turned me into, Honour," he laughed. "The happiest man who ever lived. And a married man at that! If only an old friend could see me now. He would never believe it."

She raised her head. "Is it that hard to believe? Everyone gets married---eventually. And you are happy right now because you got to...you know."

"Show my appreciation for you? Yes, that always makes me very happy. But as far as marriage goes--that was never in the plan. Besides the cliche of a captain being married to his ship, that is. Everyone, including myself, had me pegged as the eternal bachelor."

Honour propped herself up in her elbow."Someone broke your heart once, I'll bet. A Spanish senorita? A countess? Maybe even a voodoo queen?"

He made a sour face at the voodoo queen remark. "Very funny! Now whatever gave you the notion I had a heart to break? I'm a pirate, remember? I'm supposed to do all the heartbreaking. It's in the rules."

Honour rolled over and stretched her arms over her head, then smiled sleepily at Jack.

"I know quite well you have a heart. I hear it beating really quick when we...."

Jack quickly kissed her.

"So, Captain Jack Wolfe.....care to enlighten me with a bedtime story?"

"A story? Of fortune and treasure? Or of past misdeeds?"

She ran her finger down his chest. "I want to hear about your friend and why he would be surprised you took the vows."

Jack gave a wistful sigh. "He was a good man, and a good friend. The best. He saved my skin on more than one occasion. I only wish I'd been able to repay that debt when he needed it most."

Honour gave him a puzzled look. "What do you mean? Is he in prison? Or is he...?"

"He's dead, love. And I couldn't help him."

She laid her head on his chest. "I'm so sorry, Jack. Was it small pox? Or a hurricane? Oh,don't tell me he died in a duel. Or was it a mutton?"

"Mutton?"

"You know. When they take your ship, put you on an island with only a gun, one bullet and a bit of water and sail away yelling 'Adios mi amigo.' "

"Mutiny."

"What did I say?"

"Mutton."

She pouted. "Alright. Was it a mutiny?"

He played with a curl of her blonde hair as he thought back to his friend. "Not a duel, exactly. But it was a fight over a woman. Quite senseless, really, and I warned him of it too."

"Well, don't leave me in suspense. It's not fair."

"He fell in love with another man's wife, and got caught with the goods, one might say. I told him to forget her, but he was determined to whisk her away."

"He sounds like a romantic man. But you make it sound like love is a foolish thing," she frowned.

"No, not at all. I'm all for someone going after their heart's desire. But sometimes, the prize is on too high a pedestal."

"Maybe she was worth it. Maybe he was so in love with her he would have moved heaven and earth to be with her," she murmured, a far away look in her eyes.

"Now you're starting to sound like him! That's just the way he spoke of her. But even so, trying to steal away the wife of a powerful man like a lord is no small undertaking."

He shook his head. "I swear, you Welsh can be so headstrong..."

Honour could feel the blood leave her face and she fought to keep her voice even. "A--and what was the name of this friend of yours?"

"Rhys Morgan of the Neptune----Honour! Are you alright?"

She jumped up and ran to the privy closet. He got up and knocked on the door.

"Honour! Are you sick?"

She came out looking pale and tried to give him a smile.

"I--I'm sorry. I must have gotten sick drinking brandy on an empty stomach."

He guided her back to the bed, covering her up with the quilt and putting his arms around her.

"Well, suffice to say Rhys would find all this quite funny, with me married and all."

Honour took a deep breath and forced herself to ask the question. "And... and the woman? Whatever happened to her?"

"No one knows. Story is, one of the man's sons came home to find him stabbed through the heart. Rhys' body was there, too. The safe was emptied, but the woman was nowhere to be found. Gone, like she'd been taken by the wind."

Honour curled up with her back against Jack, fighting to keep the tears from her eyes. "I'm really tired from today. I think I need to sleep."

He said, "I guess you have had a full day. Goodnight, love."

She barely whispered, "Goodnight."

Moving over to face the French doors, the tears began to trace down her face. She buried her face in the pillow, hoping her body wouldn't be wracked with sobs.

A wound she thought was healing had been torn open again.

She prayed that Jack would never find out the truth.

That she was the woman to blame.

The next morning was cool and overcast. Jack awoke to find Honour still curled up, clutching the covers. He was concerned over her taking ill so suddenly. Something was amiss, but no simple answer presented itself. Quietly, he rose and closed the window to keep the chill from her. The gentle click of the latch was enough to wake her. She opened her eyes, and immediately noticed the look of concern on his face.

"Good morning, darling. How do you feel?" he asked.

She put on a cheery smile, trying not to think about Rhys or Jack's friendship with him. "I'm feeling much better today. Really. It was silly of me to go without eating like that."

"All the same, I would just as soon have you rest today. We'll be setting sail for Barbados tomorrow, and you'll need your strength for the passage. It wouldn't do for the captain's wife to be weak from the vapours, now would it? I'd hate for you to be off your game when the opportunity to irritate Briggs presents itself," he smiled.

"Jack, really. I'm fine. The last thing I want to do spend the day on a beautiful island cooped up inside! You know how I love the sand and the salt air. Please?" she pouted.

"As usual, I can deny you nothing," he sighed, as he began pulling on his clothes. "But grant me this; take your time getting up. I have business with the ship that should take no more than a couple of hours. I'll have a tray of food brought up so you can eat and dress at your leisure."

"You're not sending up that horrid woman, are you?"

"I promise, I'll have one of the servants come up. Anyone but Bonita." He fetched a dressing gown from the armoire and laid it on the bed next to her. He leaned close and kissed her lips tenderly. "I'll be back as soon as I possibly can. Josiah most likely has everything in order, but I need to inspect it myself."

"Hurry back, darling," she smiled. "And tell Josiah I've had a wonderful time buying trunks and crates of pretty things he'll need to find room for!"

Jack laughed and blew her a kiss as he closed the door.

As he descended the stairs, he looked about the tavern for a servant, but none could be found. He shook his head and set about filling a tray with fresh fruit and meat. Finally satisfied with the selection of food he'd selected, he started up the stairs just as the front door opened. In walked Cade, who gave his mentor a bemused look.

"Have you added serving wench to your many titles, Jack?"

"As a matter of fact, Mister Clever Arse, I was just fetching my wife a bite to eat before I go check on the ship. But since you're just milling about this morning being cheeky, do us a favour and run this up to her. I'm late enough as it is. Josiah begins to act like an old spinster then."

Cade took the tray, with a slightly puzzled look on his face. "Aye, Jack. See you in a bit."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honour stretched out on the bed and then grabbed the dressing gown that Jack had left next to her. Arising, she slipped her arms through it, drawing it close to her. She padded over to the French doors and opened them up, inhaling the sea air. The sea was in a tempest, almost as if it were angry at someone. The waves crashed down on the shore and the sky was grey. Everything took on a less-than-friendly air.

She sighed and closed the door, shivering. Maybe there won't be the opportunity to go to the shore before we leave. So what do I do? Go downstairs and hang around the tavern? Bake apple tarts with Bonita? The thought of the woman sent a chill through her.

'Nonsense!' she said in an undertone.

Honour pressed her forehead to the window and peered out at the palmetto tree that she had decimated with the rapier. She couldn't believe the ferocity with which she attacked it. Her survival instincts had taken over just as they had that night Madoc arrived home and caught her with Rhys. Just as they had that night she faced Jonas Corwin as he attempted to exact his vengeance from her. Rhys would have been proud of her swordsmanship. Swordswomanship?

'Whatever,' she thought.

A knock was heard at the door, startlng her out of her reverie. She rose quickly and cautiously opened the door, half expecting to see that witch Bonita.

"Oh. My goodness, Mr. Jennings!"

She instinctively wrapped her dressing gown closer to her.

"Good morning, Mrs. Wolfe. I seem to have been the one pressed into service to deliver your breakfast. Your husband was late in his duty to his ship and as I was the only one in the tavern..."

Honour gave him a smile and said, "Please! My manners seem to be lacking. Do come in!"

Cade came into the room. "Where would you like this?"

She took it out of his hand and said, "I'll take it right now. Foolishly I forgot to eat since breakfast yesterday.

Please, won't you have a seat?"

Cade sat down, a bit nervous he was in a room alone with Captain Wolfe's wife and she was in a dressing gown. But sit down he did. Who was he to refuse an invitation?

Honour helped herself to a peach and some grapes. She offered a pomegranate to Cade which he took.

"Mmmm! I just love peaches! And fresh biscuits, too."

"Bonita made those this morning."

Honour reluctantly put it back. "I think I shall pass on the biscuits. If she made them, there may be ground glass or arsenic in them."

Cade laughed. "They are fine. In fact, everyone in the tavern had some this morning."

"Then I shall help myself to them. But if anything happens to me, be sure and tell my husband that it was the biscuits!"

Cade couldn't help but smile at the light-hearted way that Honour had. She looked so young with her hair tied back in a blue ribbon, tendrils framing her face. Her dressing gown was of sky blue and she was barefoot. Her dimpled smile was infectious and she made Cade feel at ease. If only she wasn't married to...

"... and I hope to come back to Tobago really soon. Hello? Mr. Jennings?"

Cade snapped back, his face blushing. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Wolfe. You were saying...?"

"I was saying that I was really sorry about the palmetto. I guess I got carried away. Will you see that the tree gets replaced? For Jack?"

"I certainly shall. For your sake."

Honour's smile wreathed her face, and she said, "Thank you, Mr. Jennings. You are a dear."

"Please. 'Mr. Jennings' sounds so formal. Call me Cade."

"Very well...Cade. If you would return the courtesy and call me Honour. 'Mrs. Wolfe' makes me feel like Jack's mother. My goodness, will you look at the clock on the mantle! I've been sitting here chatting for an hour and keeping you from your work! And I should get dressed and make some plans. I want to plan something special for Jack, seeing it is our last day here."

Cade picked up the tray and said, "Aye. I need to finalize plans for the smu---I mean, for the trade that Jack has outlined."

Honour laughed and said, "I know a bit about it, Mr...Cade. It is smuggling, pure and simple. After all, I AM married to a pyrate!"

Cade caught himself staring at Honour's brilliant blue eyes, and felt the heat rise in his cheeks. She was easily the most beautiful and radiant woman he'd ever seen. And she was the wife of the man who'd he come to look upon as a father-figure. How could he covet his mentor's wife?!

"Aye, ma'am. That you are. I'll be running this tray down for you. I hope you have a wonderful time here, what it being your honeymoon and all. I'll be leaving now." Cade offered incredibly clumsily. He retreated, only to catch a glimpse of Hounour framed in the light from the window. He paused and shook his head before descending the stairs.

'Alright, Cade, so she's beautiful,' he muttered to himself. 'Quit acting like a schoolboy.'

He crossed over to the tavern's bar and shoved the tray across its surface.

"Dance in your mind, does she not? Tempt you, don't she? Make you want her, no matter de consequence? D'at be her evil, that which already consume Jack, and make you doubt him." Bonita hissed. "Already you plan, in d'at dark heart you hide away. You plan to take for your own! D'at way lie darkness. But you already set you feet d'at way, so I not try to dissuade you. Have her, you will, but at a price you not want to face. De price be you immortal soul."

"Bonita, you are talking nonsense, as always," he retorted. "She's a lovely woman, yes. But she is also Jack's wife. Everyone knows that a captain's woman is untouchable and this isn't any different."

"Jack have his own fate, and she play dearly into it. He toss Bonita aside, for d'at child! He not know what he cast away! He be know as the greatest pyrate what ever sail. Pah!! He no longer worth my favours. You! Bastard child what he call his 'next in line'! Your mentor, and him grand design... distance yourself. D'at woman? Your death, it lie with her. Not that I can stop you. Not that I can stop any of you. It be what it be," she laughed hollowly.

"Fine. But the bottom line is, Bonita, that you are consumed with jealousy. Don't deny it--the green-eyed monster had gotten the better of the great voodoo queen. You need to take all these issues up with Jack and kindly leave me out of it. And I'll not have you spreading any of your 'theories' or as I see it your vicious lies about me, thank you very much."

He turned and quickly walked toward the door. But when he paused to look back, Bonita was nowhere to be seen. It was then that he heard Honour's door open. She was singing sweetly to herself. Cade found himself smiling as he closed the door to the tavern behind him.

Jack strolled about the deck of his prized ship, inspecting the work of his men as they went about making the vessel ready for the voyage back to Barbados. He wore an uncharacteristically contented smile, which under other circumstances would have unnerved his crew. But they knew exactly why their captain seemed so happy, and they couldn’t blame him a bit.

Josiah Briggs bustled up to Jack, wiping tar from his hands on an old rag.

“Jack! I wasn’t expectin’ to see ye. It’s not like ye to pull a spot inspection.”

“You know me, Josiah. Full of surprises.”

“Especially these days.”

“Boring isn’t my style. How go the preparations?”

“Right on schedule,” Briggs said proudly. “Maybe even ahead a bit, if the men keep this pace. Hungry for swag they be. Morale is at an all time high, thanks to this new plan ye’ve hatched.”

“It has the benefit of never having been tried before. Expectations are guaranteed to be high. Now all we have to do is live up to them.”

“Ye not be worried, I hope.”

“Worried? Me?” laughed Jack. “Never. In the last ten years, how many times have we failed?”

“Not once. But... there always be that first time.”

“Ah, there’s that Briggs fatalism! The cloud to my silver lining. How does the hold look? Any extra room?

Briggs shook his head. “Nay, not with all the swag we’re bringin’ back as a ‘gift’ to the governor, in addition to the sale cargo. Even the rats are complainin’ about the cramped quarters.”

“Well, that won’t do,” frowned Jack.

“Eh? What’s the matter with it?”

“I know this will come as an odd request, and I hate to bring it up, but... can we leave about a ton of the governor’s cut here?”

“A... a ton?? What on Mother Mary’s halo for?”

Jack gave a resigned sigh. “Well, I was telling Honour about some of the other ships and what they’re carrying. Fabrics, luxury goods, things like that. The next thing I know, she wants to have a look. So I made the arrangements and showed her about. Long story short, it turned into a shopping excursion. Silly, I know, but I can deny her nothing. That’s why I need the extra room. For her purchases.”

Briggs caught the edge of a short powder barrel and sat down on it. The blood had drained from his face. “I knew ye’d take complete leave of your senses one day, Jack, but never like this! And do ye know how much extra work it will be to offload cargo, haul it to the warehouses, make space, and take on that woman’s whimsies? And what the flyin’ hell are ye laughin’ at?!”

“YOU!” replied Jack, barely able to catch his breath. “Listen to yourself, Josiah! I think that’s the shortest it’s taken for you to work yourself into a froth!” He held his sides and shook his head. “I was having you on, my friend. Honour didn’t buy anything, and there’s no cargo to trade out. I wanted to see how you’d react, but I never thought you’d be this entertaining!”

Briggs glared at Jack for a moment, but his indignation passed quickly as he began to laugh at the joke as well. “Aye, ye had me goin’, that’s for sure! I ain’t exactly warm to the notion of a woman - any woman - bein’ aboard ship.”

“I’ve noticed that. What’s the matter, Josiah? Don’t trust yourself?”

The quartermaster’s mouth flopped open. “Now just a...”

“All right, all right, I’ll stop. I promise! Honestly, Josiah, you make this too easy sometimes. What would you do if I didn’t make sport of you?”

“Easy,” smirked Briggs. “Lay low. That’s when I know ye be angry with me!”

“Touché,” Jack said with a smile. He looked around the deck and nodded. “Everything looks in good order, as I’d expected. Tell the men at the end of the watch there’s two extra rations of rum as reward for their hard work. Any word of Duckie?”

“Nothin’ new, so I expect he’ll be makin’ port this evenin’ as planned.”

“And he’ll be as sociable as always when he gets back from one of his botanical excursions.”

“Was was he after this time?” asked Briggs.

“He’s still working on a journal of native cures. The primitive folk near Grenada caught his attention this time. I wonder if we’ll see him outside of the surgery at all before we make Barbados?”

“Last time, we had to tell him thrice we’d docked. Once that man gets his head in the books, there be no draggin’ him out for love nor money.”

“He was that way at university as well,” said Jack. “You could tell he was working on a paper. He’d carry so many books, it looked like part of the library had grown legs and wandered off.”

“I believe it! All the same, it’ll be good to have him back. I don’t trust another surgeon with as much as a head cold otherwise.”

“I will too,” said Jack as he looked out over the bay. “The sooner we get back to St. Lawrence, the better.”

“You in a hurry for somethin’?” asked Briggs.

“Hmm? No, no hurry. Just thinking out loud. Tell the men to keep up the good work. I’ll be back at the tavern if you need me.”

Briggs watched as his captain and friend took the gangway to the dock and walked briskly along the path leading toward the tavern. He wiped at the tar on his hands once more.

“Hmph. No hurry, my arse,” he snorted to himself. “What are ye rushin’ to this time, Jack Wolfe?”

As Jack hurried along the path back to the tavern, Muir came bounding down the path towards him. He kneeled and accepted the sweet puppy kisses Muir felt eager to bestow. "What is it, boy? What do you want?"

Muir slapped the ground with his front paws and ran off down the path. Jack jogged in pursuit, and found Muir and Honour waiting for him a short distance from the tavern. Suddenly, everything felt right again. He rushed to Honour and swept her up in his arms, as Muir barked and jumped with them.

Honour tried to catch her breath as she laughed.

"Jack, darling, you only left me a few hours ago!"

He held her and then drew back, brushing the hair off her shoulder and caressing her cheek. "Aye, but it seems like forever, love."

Muir continued to run back and forth. Jack rubbed behind the dog's ears and asked, "And what has him in a tizzy?"

She reached behind a palm tree and picked up a basket. "We, my dear, are going to have one last day to ourselves. We are going on a picnic."

Jack frowned. "Honour, sweetness, pirates don't go on picnics! We plunder, we pillage, but we don't picnic."

She smiled, "Today you aren't a pirate. Today you aren't Captain Jack Wolfe. Today you are John Michael Wolfe and you are my husband. Tomorrow we have Briggs frowning and disapproving but today it is just us. Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe. And their dog."

Jack lifted the lid and picked up the corner of the cloth. "Smells good. And what did Bonita pack for us?"

She playfully slapped his hand and said, "That woman didn't have a thing to do with this. I have cold meats and cheese and bread. And frosted cakes for dessert. And----" she reached behind the tree again and picked up a bottle of wine "---I hope you don't mind that I went down in your wine cellar and took a bottle of claret. I figured if it was yours, then it technically is mine. And this is what I wanted. I found a secret place I wanted to show you anyways."

Bonita sat at the tavern bar and continually threw the bones. "This be right! Bones no lie. Bones never lie. Tia Elena say so. Always right!"

The bones continued to form the same pattern. The leg bones of the chicken bones always ran parallel and the breast bone touched each of them, slightly between the two. She sat there in satisfaction and said aloud to no one, " They lives run parallel. But never cross again. She touch each. She keep apart yet touch. She no love. She never love. She poison! Jack no listen. Jack never listen. Jack remember. Mon Dieu, he remember but it be too late. Too late for all. D'at child-bride... D'at child poison! Not what she seem. Jack no listen. Jack pay de price."

Honour took Jack's arm and led him down a path that paralleled the shore. Abruptly she turned them to the greenery and then she climbed over a large rock. She pulled her skirts up and tucked them into her waistband. Jack followed. Within a couple moments, after climbing up a small, narrow path, Honor stopped suddenly and swept her hand over the area.

"Voila! Is this not paradise or what?"

They stood in a small grotto. Overhead, a waterfall spilled over the shale and pooled in a small stream. The trees formed a canopy. She spread a cloth down and sat cross-legged on the ground. Muir ran to the pool, barking at his own reflection.

Honour produced two crystal goblets and handed Jack the bottle.

"Would you do the honours, my darling husband?"

He grinned and after opening, he poured it into the wine glasses.

"Honour, you are up to something. We may only have been married ten days, but I can read your mind. Now..what is it you are angling for?"

She looked down and said, "Am I that transparent?"

"Yes."

She looked up and there were tears on her lashes. "Jack, I--I'm afraid to go back to Barbados! I have a bad feeling about it."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm afraid something bad will happen before we get there. I can't help it. Please! Can we not stay here? Can we not live here? Surely with all the treasure you have, we can--

Jack cut her off. "What are you saying?"

She took a deep breath.

"I want you to give up being a pirate."

Jack finished his sip of wine and took a deep breath. "Surely you’re joking," he said quietly.

“I’ve never been more serious in my life,” she replied, the resolution clear in her voice.

"You really have no idea what you’re asking."

“I’m asking for normalcy. Stability. Safety. All the things a wife ought to expect from her husband."

"Stability and safety? Here? I would dearly love to give you those things, Honour. But in my world, those things are in scare supply."

"What’s wrong with right here? We're away from the rest of the world, and you have a veritable army of loyal men surrounding you! How is that not safe?"

"What makes you think those men are loyal to me, love?"

"I've seen it with my own eyes, Jack! They adore you! They do whatever you ask, even the other captains, as if you were their king."

Jack smiled wanly. "Honour, those men are loyal to what I can bring them. Gold and silver, spoils and treasure. That’s all I am to them. They're as loyal to me as dogs are to the town butcher. Only they’re less honest about the relationship. No, if I were to step away here and now, they'd turn on me in a heartbeat."

"How can that be? What about the oaths they swore to you? What about the Code of the Brethren?"

“The Code? Oh, sweetheart... the Code is a myth. A fairy story. A bit of fiction made up by whoever writes those halfpenny books about pirates back in England. The most they’ve done is sign the ship’s articles, like any other sailor on any other ship.” He poured another glass of wine and drank half of it.

Honour sat silently, considering what her husband had just told her. "Then... there’s no simple way out of this for you? For us? None at all?”

“Remember when you were a little child and grown-ups would tell you everything is going to be fine, but you knew they were lying to you just to make you feel better?”

“Yes.”

“Well, everything is going to be fine.”

“That isn’t funny, Jack.” Honour shook her head balefully. “But I see it now. You are a prisoner.”

Jack slowly turned his face to look at her. She didn’t notice the look in his eyes.

“... And me with you,” she said bitterly. “If I’d know half of this, I never would have--”

“No.”

Honour turned to look at him. “What?”

“I said no.”

“I don’t understand.”

‘It means, NO!”

“But you just said--”

“NO!” he practically shouted. “I will not be a prisoner. No, you won’t be a prisoner, either. No, we will not be trapped in this life. You want safety and security? Then that’s what you’re going to get.”

“But... you told me that’s not possible. That the way things are, the expectations of your crew...”

“Captain’s prerogative. I’m changing the rules of the game.”

“You can do that?”

“Oh, you just watch me!”

“I don’t understand the change of heart, Jack,” said Honour. “First you said there was no way you could leave the trade, now you say you want to. What am I to believe?”

Jack took her hand in his. “You can believe that I want nothing more than to have a quiet life with you.” He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Honour, this is the first time I’ve ever given retirement serious thought. I’ve never had reason to before. I have been running my entire life, usually from one thing or another. Sometimes even from myself. But it’s time I stopped running. Here and now, it ends.”

His words caught her off guard. No more running. Suddenly it all made sense, why they seemed such kindred spirits. They'd both been running the better part of their lives. She now had a much better understanding of the man she called husband. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face against him, not knowing if the tears that welled in her eyes were out of happiness or relief.

"I know you're worried about the crossing to Barbados, but it's a necessary thing," he told her. "It’s a big colony. We can start over there. Fade into the background and live that quiet life together. And I promise, it will be a faster sail back, at least a day shorter. What could possibly happen?" He pulled back just enough so his eyes could meet hers, and he gently wiped away some of her tears. "It's our best chance, my love. Will you take it with me?"

She nodded wordlessly. When she found her voice, she said, "Aye, my husband. I trust you with my life."

Jack said soberly, "I wish you wouldn't put it that way, Honour. That is a heavy responsibility for a man like me. But yes, we’ll build a life together, away from all this. No more running, no more looking over our shoulders."

Honour smiled and kissed Jack, then stood up and stretched her back. "I shall always remember this as one perfect moment. A hidden grotto, nothing but the smell of fresh air and the earth. A very sweet, heady aroma. It reminds me of...." She stopped suddenly.

"Of what, Honour?"

She shrugged and said, "Of happy days of my youth."

She had a flash of the weekend she spent in Cardiff with Rhys. That too had been a perfect day. Like this one. A guilty feeling rose up in her. She didn't know if she felt unfaithful to Rhys' memory or to Jack. Time to push it down again till it finally would surface no more....

She looked at the waterfall and she smiled. Without a word, she stood, loosened her chemise and let it drift down in a silky swirl.

She walked over to the waterfall and stood under it, her hair streaming down her back and the water glistening off her skin. Jack looked over at Muir . The wolf-dog looked at him questioningly. He laughed, "She'll be the death of me, yes, pup?"

The dog gave a sharp bark and then laid down with his paws over his nose.

They laid on the grass, the picnic blanket covering them. Honour pulled away from Jack and propped herself on her elbow, her fingers trailing over his chest.

"Jack, I have been thinking..."

Jack yawned. "Honour, I already said I would seriously consider giving up this life when we got to Barbados."

She said carefully, "Barbados has some fine sugar plantations. I am willing to hazard a guess that we could buy one of them and settle down to a life of raising sugar cane."

Jack gave a quick snort of laughter. "Me? A gentleman farmer?"

She started to talk rapidly to make her pitch. "Barbados is the richest of all the European colonies in the Caribbean region. The prosperity of Barbados is regionally unmatched. And don't forget the other commodities like rum, molasses, and Falernum. And it would be a perfect place to settle down and raise children and...."

Jack jumped up, taking the cover with him. "Hold it right there, Mrs. Wolfe! What are you talking about? You mean ba---ba---ba---"

"I believe 'babies' is the word you are looking for, Jack. But eventually I thought we might start a family. A little captain..."

"Whoa! When I said 'I do' that night, I didn't say I wanted a replica of me calling me 'da-da'. I just thought we were in for a bit of fun first."

Honour looked at him with hurt in her eyes. "A bit of fun. Is that all I am to you, Jack? A commodity in itself? Like your rum casks? Like your silks and guilders and Madeira wine?"

She grabbed the cover back from him and wrapped her hurt in it.

Jack softened and began to realise his bonny bride was little more than a child herself.

He said, "I'm sorry, Honour. I've put my foot in it again. I promise, we'll talk about all this when we reach Barbados, love. Alright?"

She just nodded. She turned to quickly wipe a tear that trailed down her cheek before Jack could see. Perhaps children of her own would wipe Rhys' memory off her soul. She did love Jack. They were both searching for something in their lives. She prayed it would be the same thing.

Pulling her chemise back over her head, she grabbed the cover from Jack and stuffed it into the basket.

With a brittle smile, she said, a bit too brightly, "Shall we go back? I am sure you have business to attend to and I have some packing to do before tomorrow."

She started to walk back. Jack hurriedly put his shirt and breeches back on.

Muir nudged Jack's hand and Jack scratched the dog behind the ears.

"Holy shnikeys, Muir...babies!"

Bonita unlocked the door to the room that Jack and Honour shared. She stood there, her hands on her hips.

Surveying all, she felt feelings of anger and resentment well up in her. Honour's silky finery was scattered all around the room. A pair of Jack's boots were cast under the bed. The dresser had a vase of wildflowers.

The bedcovers were thrown back, showing rumpled sheets. Honour's scent of jasmine was in the air.

Bonita picked up something lacy that laid on the floor. She stood in the center of the room and closed her eyes. Clutching the fabric to her forehead, she whispered, 'Montrez-moi ! Montrez-moi où elle l'a des charmes cachés...'

The French doors suddenly flew open, banging into the wall. The curtains blew and rippled into the room. Bonita's skirt whirled around her like a dervish. She opened up her eyes and strode to the dresser, her hands out in front of her. She walked around and suddenly she stopped in front of the trunk that Honour had brought on shore with her.

Bonita knelt down and ran her hands over it. She smiled to herself and tried the lock. It would not give.

"What the hell are you doing in this room?"

She whirled around and came face to face with Cade. She assumed a lofty attitude and said haughtily, "Jack leaves his room a mess. I do my job. I clean it."

"Since when?"

"Since he marry dat child-bride of his who ne'er clean a room in her life. Tavern wench? HA! You not think Bonita not know something not right there?"

"Bonita, your jealousy is getting the best of your judgement."

"Dat were you be wrong. I show you. Come downstairs."

Cade reluctantly went downstairs with Bonita. She took him over to a table in the corner and she lit two black candles. Cade asked, "Wh--what are the candles for?"

She just shook her head and the candle's flame reflected in her eyes, her pupils on fire.

She said, "Sit."

He did so with great trepidation. She withdrew a deck of cards and laid them out.

"I be using these since my tia Elena give them to me. Always de same. Always when I lay dem out, dey read the same."

She turned a card over and exclaimed, "Look!"

She turned over the Lovers card.

She said bitterly, "Always her. Always dat child bride. It be a temptation of de heart. A choice of potential partners. A single lifestyle be sacrificed and a relationship gained or one partner chosen while another turned down. Heed dis well, Cade Jennings! She make a choice in de future but it not made lightly. Like Adam and Eve, the Lovers card mean impulse dat drive us out o' de Garden. Curiosity. Well, she be curious 'bout Jack's life. Once she have stepped passed de threshold, there be no returning to the Garden."

Cade shook his head and said, "Bonita, I'm sorry but no card can read what is going on in a person's mind."

She arched her eyebrow and said, "Fool ye be, Cade Jennings. I return to de deck. And look!"

She turned the next card and came up with the Magician's card.

"Dis be Jack's card. Always have been the card of Captain Jack Wolfe! See here. Dis card point to talent, capabilities and resources. Its message tap into one's full potential rather than holding back especially when dere be a need to transform something. Dere be choices and directions to take. He may be a beneficent guide, but he not necessarily have our best interests in mind. He may also represent the querent’s ego or self awareness. He also represent the intoxication of power, good and bad."

Cade stood up. "Bonita, you are making this up as you go along. It can mean anything you want it to."

She said darkly, "You stay right dere, you be next, Cade Jennings. Den maybe you believe Bonita!"

She slowly turned over the card.

Cade could not take his eyes away and stared in disbelief.

"A...devil? What does THAT mean?"

She gave a sharp bark of laughter. "Ah! Now de young pup o' dat wolf want to know what de devil card mean!"

She leaned forward and hissed, "It mean our bondage to material things rather any evil person. It be an obsession or addiction to fulfilling our own earthly base desires. It mean money and power, one who be persuasive, aggressive and controlling."

Cade laughed uncomfortably, "You must be mad, woman! That fits Captain Jack Wolfe. Not me."

She then leaned back in her chair, crossed her arms and said, "De Querent understand dat de ties that bind are freely worn, and you be only enslaved if you allow de abuse to go on."

She delivered the final barb. "You, Cade Jennings, you. YOU! You be de snake in Jack's little Garden of Eden."

Cade stared at her. His arm swept across the table, scattering the cards all over the table and onto the floor. He put his face inches from Bonita's and whispered hoarsely, "You damned witch."

He turned on his heel and walked out the door, the laughter of Bonita following him out the door.

It was near dark when Honour and Jack walked up the slope to the tavern.

"Ooof!"

"Jack! I--I'm sorry. I didn't see you there."

Jack said, "Cade, where are you going in such an all-fired hurry?"

"One of the ships docked and I have to see what they have netted on their 'fishing expedition.' From what Captain Parnell said, it was a successful trip. Spanish wine, some Belgian lace. Silks from Persia. And there is a rumour that the captured ship's hold contained alot of Aztec gold."

Jack clapped him on the back and said, "Then get to work, Cade. I must say, I do have every faith in you. In spite of my riding you unmercifully."

Cade looked at Jack and saw the captain did have a look of pride on his face. Cade felt miserable and guilty in view of what Bonita had just predicted for him. Impossible! A snake in Jack's Eden? Never!

Cade looked over at Honour. She had her arm linked in Jack's. Her wet hair hung down her back and a few tendrils around her face. She was barefoot and carried a basket. Her chemise clung to her damp body. She smiled at him but he could sense there was a wistfulness in her that became apparent. Like there was an underlying distress.

She said softly, "I do hope we shall see you in the morning, Captain Jennings, before we leave."

His face turned red and he said, "I shall make it a point to say goodbye."

Jack looked from Cade to Honor and then back to Cade. He said, "Then off you go, Cade. See you in the morning."

Cade tipped his hat to Honour and said, "Ma'am."

Jack put his arm around his wife and said, "I swear, sometimes I just can't suss him out..."

They entered the tavern to see Bonita picking up her cards and putting them back in the leather box she kept them in. Jack noticed the black candles and hoped Honour didn't see them. Bonita said darkly, "De tavern is closed for food, Jack Wolfe. Him wantin' food, him gettin' it himself."

Honour found herself instinctively drawing closer to Jack. The sooner they were out of Castara, the better she would feel. Bonita's presence sent shivers down her back. Like two opposite magnetic fields they were.

Jack said hurriedly, "No need for any food, Bonita, dear. Honour and I had our fill already. We are going to retire for the night. We shall see you in the morning."

Bonita suddenly smiled, "Aye. Dat ye shall. Bonita want to be sure to say 'goodbye' to de great Captain and him lovely bride."

They turned and headed up the stairs.

Once in their room, Honour dropped her wet chemise and reached for her dressing gown. Jack opened the French doors.

Honour sniffed the air. "Do you smell that?"

Jack said, "What do you mean?"

"Patchouli."

"How do you know what patchouli is?"

"I worked in a seaport tavern, dear. Don't you remember? Anyways, a trader came in with the most luxurious silk and showed it to me. I noticed the smell and asked him about it. He said the silks were packed with the herb to ward off moths."

"Strange, though. I always associated the scent with Bonita. She wears a scent like that. But she knows better than to come into the room. Must be something outside wafting in."

A wave of guilt washed over Honour. The trader was no lie. But the 'trader' was Captain James Blake and the silk in question was silk he left her as a going-away present.

Only he was the one going away. Jack would never know that very silk was the dressing gown she now wore.

She tilted her face up to meet his and put her arms around his neck, drawing him close to her. "I think I shall miss Castara Bay. It has been a wonderful honeymoon, darling."

He picked her up and carried her over to the bed and chuckled, "And it isn't over yet, love."

As she laid there in Jack's arms, her head on his chest, she listened to his rhythmic breathing as he drifted off to sleep. She willed herself not to cry. It was their last night on shore and she was filled with trepidation at the crossing back to Barbados.

'If we can only get back to Barbados safely, I know I can convince him to give up this life. Perhaps even a new life in the New World. I heard the French are planning a port on a very wide river...and it would be a chance to start a new life. No more running. For either of us. And it would be just the thing to erase Rhys' memory from my heart...'

She snuggled back into the crook of his arm and soon she too was asleep.

Jack awoke to the delicate scent of jasmine. He slowly opened his eyes to find Honour smiling up at him as she traced slow, lazy circles on his chest with her fingertip. A cool breeze wafted over them, causing Honour to shiver slightly. He pulled her close and stroked her silken hair. "Don's fret, darling. As long as I draw a breath, I'll be there to keep you warm."

Honour never lifted her head for fear that he'd see the sadness in her eyes. "Please don't tease me, Jack," she said quietly. "How can you keep such a promise when I know full well you'll be off a-pyrating?"

"How many sugar plantation owners and gentleman farmers have you heard of that go sailing off on the account when they have a wife and family to care for?"

She stared at him in utter disbelief. "Who are you, and how did you get into my bed? Where is my husband? I warn you, he is positively the most fearsome pyrate in the entire Caribbean!"

"Maybe he got a better offer, and decided to take it," he smiled.

Honour was overcome with shock and joy. "You... you what? She climbed atop Jack and began showering him with kisses. She paused momentarily as wicked smile played across her lips. "Oh, you really are my husband!"

"Easy, Honour!" he laughed. "I have to warn you, there are some minor provisions..."

"Provisions?" She gave him a dubious look. "Like what, exactly?"

"We have to buy out land near the water."

"Granted!" She leaned close to kiss him.

"And... I get to keep a boat."

"A boat? Just how big of a boat?"

"A simple fishing boat. One mast."

"No guns?"

"No guns. I'd hate to scare the fish."

"Granted!! Shall we seal our agreement?"

"I suppose we we could shake hands or something."

Honour shifted her body, and seductively brushed her lips against his. "Or," she whispered, "you could shut up and make love to me."

"Deal."

"No! Careful with that! Jack!" Honour shouted.

Jack looked out the door of their room to see two of his crewmen wrestling the last of Honour's trunks through the tavern door. "Oi! What the lady said! Easy on the door!" he called down.

She turned from the railing with an incredulous look on her face.

"Oh! You meant the chest, didn't you? Sorry about that, darling," Jack winked at her.

Honour slipped her arms around his waist. "Captain Wolfe, would you be so cavalier about things if I parked your ship the way your crew handles my luggage?"

"Dock."

"What?"

"'Dock'. It's a very specific, uniquely nautical term."

"Which means...?"

"Um, 'park'." He kissed her on the forehead. "No more talk of scuffing up the hull! It's bad luck," he teased.

"That's the last of it all. Would you care to eat before we go aboard?" he asked.

"No, I'm fine until we set sail, thank you. Leaving port seems to give me a nervous stomach," Honour lied. What she really wanted was to be of the island, away from Bonita, and done with the crossing to Barbados as quickly as possible. No matter how Jack reassured her, she was still filled with dread.

As they descended the stairs, Muir appeared at the door and barked insistently.

"It looks like someone's anxious to get under sail!" Jack laughed.

"I know exactly how he feels," she said quietly.

The couple walked along the winding path to the dockyard, talking about everything and nothing. Muir jogged at their side, occasionally running ahead to nip at a colourful butterfly. Without warning, the dog pricked up his ears and ran off into the jungle.

"Muir! Muir, no! Come back!" Honour cried. She put her fingers to her lips and gave a piercing three-note whistle but he wouldn't respond. She grabbed the hem of her dress to chase after him, but Jack gently restrained her.

"He's probably off after a lizard or some other wee beastie. I'll fetch him, love. No use you tearing that new dress of a bit of folly." With that, he took off after the wayward Muir.

"Bloody hell, that doggy's a fast one!" Jack panted as he ran. "Muir! Oi! Here, boy! Damn it, slow down! Muir!" he yelled. He heard playful barking just ahead, and to his relief he spied the wolf-dog in the clearing ahead.

Standing beside Honour's pet was Bonita.

"Bonita!! What in blazes are you doing out here?" He was relieved to see that Muir wasn't eating anything.

"Him little wife seem to have lost somet'ing," Bonita smirked. "An' was Bonita to miss de great Captain Jack Wolfe before him set sail on anot'er grand adventure? Him never leave wit'out saying goodbye before. Jack forget him manners now him a married man?" she asked sarcastically. "Why de hurry to leave Castara and Bonita? Could it be dat pretty little bride him bring among us carry off more dan Jack Wolfe’s heart, but him head as well?"

Jack was taken aback and more than a little intimidated by her accusatory tone. "Of course not!" he snapped. He shoved down the urge to become defensive as best he could. "Really, Bonita. You've been sullen and out of sorts ever since we arrived. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were jealous."

She shot him a look that made him want to run.

"Jealous?! Tell me dis - when have Bonita’s bed ever been a place him not welcome? Name me one time!"

Jack stammered, feeling for all the world like a trapped rabbit.

"Dat because it never happen, Jack Wolfe!" She drew a deep breath, then waved her hand dismissively. "But him have chosen, and made him bond wit' anot'er. De Great Captain want what he want. It matter no more to me.

He almost laughed with relief. "So, you're good with it then?"

Bonita looked at him momentarily in disbelief, then chuckled despite herself. "If dat ease Jack Wolfe’s mind, den yes."

"Always good to have the blessings of a friend," he smiled nervously.

She gave him a dark smile as she pulled her black lace shawl around her. "Speakin' of blessings, come wit' me."

"Go with you? Where, exactly?" He looked around furtively, praying to himself that no other surprises were about to stroll, or worse, toddle, onto the scene.

"Are him in such a hurry to get back to de little wife dat Bonita cannot read de cards? It always were our tradition, no?"

Jack's eyes lit up. Her readings had always shown him where and when to strike, and how successful he'd be on his cruises. She had never been wrong, not once, and he'd become fabulously wealthy because of her talents.

"A reading? Um, of course, yes! You know how important tradition is to me, darling." He stepped closer to her, emboldened by her seeming change in demeanour. "I know I can depend on you for the turn of a friendly card. Please, lead on."

The dark woman looked into his eyes, then turned and walked to a large rock. It was roughly the size of a tree stump, and conveniently flat enough on top. She knelt before it and produced her worn deck of cards from a pouch at her waist. Jack knelt on one knee opposite her as she shuffled the deck. Muir laid down beside him and rested his head on Jack's boot.

"As always, wit' our 'tradition', t'ree cards Bonita draw, and t'ree only," she intoned. "D’ese cards, dey show de way of Jack Wolfe voyage. Dey show what will be."

He watched eagerly as she closed her eyes and drew the first card. It depicted ten interlocking swords suspended over a sinking, ruined ship.

"This must be good, yeah? I'm the swords, defeating my prey?" he said with barely contained excitement.

Bonita shook her head solemnly. "No. Jack Wolfe is de ship."

"How in blazes is that possible?" he gasped.

"De swords, dey be forces beyond de control of anyone. Dis be de card of sudden disaster. De card of Karma." Bonita's normally dark eyes narrowed to the point they appeared black on black.

"Not funny, Bonita. Not one bit. I know you've been upset with me, but I thought we were past all that. Aren't we?" He tried to settle himself. "The card has to be wrong. Draw again."

She sighed impatiently. "Dis next card, it eit'er confirm or negate de first. Den we see who know de cards better; Jack Wolfe, or Fate." Closing her eyes, she drew again and laid the card face up before Jack. It depicted a massive tower being blown apart by lightning, meteors, and cannon fire, with people at it's base fleeing from the falling debris.

"Let me guess. I'm neither the lightning nor the cannons? The meteors, perhaps?" he asked dryly.

"De Tower represent all Jack Wolfe have built over de years. Him empire. Everyt'ing him have gain by trick and wickedness, dey cannot be held or sustained." Her eyes grew sad as she continued. "De ones dat find shelter and comfort near him will be injured or ruined as well..."

"Enough of this charade!" he growled, more in frustration than anger. "You've obviously stacked the deck in some pitiful attempt to manipulate me, to shake my confidene. Farewell, Bonita." He got up to walk away. "Muir, come!"

"Damn you, Jack Wolfe!" she spat. "Bonita be many t'ings, but she never a cheat! De cards are what dye are, even if him refuse to believe de trut’ dey tell you." She slammed the deck down on the rock. "Him call Bonita - after all dis time and all we share - a cheat and a liar? Den draw de last card for himself. Do it! Unless him afraid."

She sat back with her arms crossed, seething in anger and hurt. As he watched, a small tear appeared in the corner of eye and trailed down her cheek.

In all the time he'd known her, he'd found her to be many things. But a liar was not one of them. He did his best to keep up an air of suspicion, even though she was right. Jack Wolfe, the infamous and feared pirate, was indeed scared of what the next would reveal. He reached down and cut the deck, then cut it again. When he glanced up briefly to gauge her reaction, she closed her eyes and turned her face away. He bit his lip and turned over the third and final card. What it showed him made his blood run ice cold.

Even he could clearly read it's meaning. A man and woman facing one another, but not touching. And towering over them, keeping them from one another with a huge sword driven into the earth -- the Devil.

Jack's mind reeled. With a look of confusion and fear on his face, he slowly stood and tried to force something resembling a pleasant smile. "Thank you for such a lovely time, Bonita. It's been thoroughly... interesting. If you'll pardon me, I have a ship to take out. Time and tide, and all that. See you soon." With that, he turned on his heel and walked away as fast as he could without breaking into a run. "Muir!" he called without slowing. The dog cocked his head as he watched Jack race-walk into the jungle, and followed after.

Jack looked back over his shoulder to make Muir was following and that Bonita was out of sight, and broke into a dead run. He wanted off the island and on the open seas as soon as possible.

"Damn, damn, damn! Overreaching your grasp again, you stupid git!" he chided himself as he ran. "The cards said it - the smuggling operation will fail! I've got to get Honour to Barbados and away from this life!" Muir had caught up to him finally, and stayed beside him as they ran.

"Muir! Jack! Where are you?!" Honour called. "Oh, they've been gone too long. Something's happened, I just know it!" She was about to whistle for Muir again when he and Jack exploded out of the treeline and slid to a stop in front of her.

"Jack, what on earth is wrong? You act as if the Devil himself was after you!"

"What? How did you know?"

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing. Just thought it would be fun to run with Muir. Now, let's be off." He took her by the arm and nearly pulled her off her feet.

"What's gotten into you? We have plenty of time to get to the ship."

"Sorry, darling. Just anxious to get back to the sea." He hooked her arm and tried to ease her none too discreetly into a double-time step.

"Jack - Stop!” She pulled herself free of his grip and put her hands on her hips. “Tell me right now; what is the hurry?"

He took Honour by the shoulders and looked gravely into her eyes. "I can't tell you. Not now. There’s no time. Now come on."

"I'm not taking a single step until you be honest with me!"

"How's about I tell you once we're sa-- once we're off the island?" He winced at his verbal misstep.

"You were about to say 'safely', weren't you? Jack, what's happening? Is someone after you? After us?"

"Honour, all I can tell you is that we have to get away from here, and put as much ocean between us and this island as fast as we can. Yes, we are in danger. No, I can't tell you anything else about it. I’m begging you, Honour... Can we please go now?"

She could see the haunted look in his eyes.

"All right, Jack. I trust you," she said guardedly as they walked together again.

"At least I've got that going for me..."