Real Pirates Museum Exhibit (details)

Jamaica Rose

February 27th thru October 25th, 2009: “Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah from Slave Ship to Pirate Ship”

Chicago, ILLINOIS. This world premier exhibit organized by National Geographic tells the compelling story of the Whydah, a real pirate ship that began as a slave ship, and the stories of the diverse people whose lives converged on the vessel. Sunk in a fierce storm off the coast of Cape Cod in April 1717, the Whydah was located by underwater explorer Barry Clifford in 1984, becoming the first fully authenticated pirate ship to be discovered in American waters. The exhibition, with more than 200 treasures recovered from the wreck, will provide visitors with an unprecedented glimpse into unique economic, political and social circumstances of the early 18th-century Caribbean and the inextricable link between the slave trade and piracy. , Over 150 artifacts from the first authenticated pirate shipwreck found in American waters! , See real pirate weaponry such as cannons and grenades , Touch actual pirate treasure! , Board a re-creation of the Whydah to see pirate living quarters and experience life on board!

( This exhibit is scheduled to next visit: TBA: Winter/Spring 2010, St. Louis: Summer/Fall 2010, TBA: Winter/Spring 2011, Denver: Summer/Fall 2011, Phoenix: Winter/Spring 2012, and Cleveland: Summer/Fall 2012. )

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I saw it in Philly when it was here in 2008. It was so much fun. My hubby and I had a blast.

I also have been to Cape Cod and actually visited the Whydah a few years ago, its cool to see the work they put into restoring and preserving the ship and artifacts. The exhibit doesn't even have half of what they found.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!