Real Pirates exhibit at Chicago Field Museum

LadyBarbossa

Can't believe someone hasn't posted this yet!

It's becoming a quick talk and mention... but hey! How about some pirate gathering there?

Here's the link to the info from the Field Museum: http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/pirates_tempexhib.htm

The exhibit will be featured from February 25th to October 25th (this year obviously).

How's about a gathering or even three or four throughout the duration of the exhibit.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Ya know, although I've been to see the exhibit twice, a third time would still be nice...

I would want to go on a warmer weekend... I've been through and to the chicago area a few times now, and I've never seen the city... It's always been too cold, or I have been in too much of a rush passing through.

It's a real shame the exhibit wasn't openning sooner, otherwise those travelling to RF5 could make it a multi-task trip.... :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

Just anothr reason for Pike river???

We could plan for May or June??

Between a wedding (Kate's best friend) and our own Santa Maria event here in Columbus (which we would love to have you and everyone else at!), May has become a bit of a non-month for us... Late June or July looks good though... Pike river sounds really cool, I'm just overcommitted in the following weeks, and don't think I can do that many back to back to back weekends in a row. :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

How about you never say never, Michael?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Of course they couldn't open it in time for Reenactor Fest... Pike sounds like a good time...June is Blackbeards

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hehehehe... Aye, it's a 'got to go to' event. :ph34r:

I spoke with Rachel Pomberg this afternoon about some pirates coming to help promo the exhibit. They would love that and are open to the idea.

However, before we can show and say "We're here!" ... they do need to know a ball park number of who may come (eventually), what crews/groups/individuals plan to do while there (like presentations, demos, etc) to see if it's ok to do such at the museum, and if ye would volunteer for no coinage or if ye have other demands or compensation.

Rachel Pomberg's contact info:

312-665-7676

rpomberg@fieldmuseum.org

The exhibit is from February 25th through October 25th.

be there a good time to do this? Pikes may be one good time to do this. I'm sure there can be more than one Promo time. Maybe some of us can just show up for the opening of the Exhibit on the 25th?

Ideas?

~Lady B

Rats.... I gotta wait until it gets out to the West Coast.....

Patrick, if my sources are correct (and they haven't led me astray yet)... I think California was the next stop after Chicago, although I can't remember if it was San Jose or Los Angeles that it was going to. I imagine there will be a few month gap between when it wraps up in Chicago and starts out west, so I'm guessing you (and the pubs many other westies) should be able to see it by this time next year.... Give or take a month!

Michael_banner.jpg

Aye, sounds like fun, doesn't it, Mary? I'm rather excited about this exhibit and can't wait.

Tis a bummer, Skinner. :ph34r:

Hopefully it will be in San Jose at least fo' ye, Patrick. :)

~Lady B

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy to all.

Been keeping in contact with the Field Museum to allow pirates to come and help out in promoting the exhibit. As difficult as they are being, they are still cooperating.

What's needed?

This is the recent email I got from Rachel Pomberg of the Field Museum:

Hi Lady B!

I wanted to give you an update on our proposal. I met this afternoon with my colleagues and they will be getting back to me with a list of ideas / times / dates, etc...that we could discuss having your crews paticipate with the Museum.

In the interim, we would like to understans a little better what types of services you all offer. Could you send me the following:

Images and bios of your crews - perhaps some of the people who would be at the Museum

A description of your pirate activites in terms of skills, presentations, specialties, personas...etc...we would like to understand how well versed your crews are in terms or pirate history, etc...

A list of other museums ./ programs / events you have participated in at cultural organizations or festivals

More detail on "Resurrection" which you mentioned in your last email to me

Any other related materials, etc.

In turn, I hope to have a list of possible points for interaction to share with you early next week, and would want to follow that with a conference call to discuss.

I hope you are well. Please let me know if you have any questions on the above.

Best,

Rachel

So....

Who's can attend?

One group has already planned on Feb 28th to be at the Museum. Perhaps it would be a good time. Would the 28th work?

What CAN you provide that the Museum is asking?

I can't just say who will be there and what will happen when I hear nothing from anyone. The Museum wants to know this ahead of time. Big demand but I'm sure we can provide what they are asking.

Though she mentioned the Resurrection, I'm sure this applies to all crews wanting to be involved.

Who is up for this challenge?

After all... it's the Whydah exhibit!

~Lady B

Who is up for this challenge? After all... it's the Whydah exhibit!

~Lady B

Lady B...

Would you PM the CAPTAIN regarding this event with further detailed information. Thank you.

Cheeky

Edited by Cheeky Actress

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

We will be discussing this at RF

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Consideration, m'dear? Hell this is one event I hope no one in the crewe would miss!

Crewe of the Archangel

:::nods::: as I. I think the Archangel with their incredible knowledge of the era could and would make a hell of an impact. I think the Museum would be highly pleased to have any member there.

~Lady B