What lured you to pyracy?

Your interest in piracy (Pyracy?), What started ye off?

Answer was Posted: Nov 21 2005, 11:01 PM :o

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mum always quite liked watching pirate movies, so I grew up watching them together with her (I also grew up watching westerns with her and old skool horror movies with my dad. The western stuff didn't particulary catch on, but I still love pirates and horrors ^^)

I thought the pirates were great, and it peeked my interest and I've been interested ever since :)

• 2 years later...

It was the G&S thing for me.

I was in the chorus of the Pirates of Penzance when I was at school; I played the Pirate King for an amateur theatre group when I was about 30; and I did the role again when I was about 40. With less hair. But no less commitment. ;)

I kind of assumed there'd be a huge Gilbert and Sullivan thing going on here. No?

It can only be blamed on one person.

So there I was, mindin' me own business. When Oliver Sudden (that's a friend of mine) buys me a beer, whilst sitting next to the nefarious scoundrel, Robb... err, Hurricane.

We had been pillaging together once or twice, I noticed there was something about him that was unique amongst even other pirates. He was trubble with a capital "T" and a lot of "rubble." He liked to stir things up. Very piratey.

So there I sat, having just finished the last gig with my previous band, witness to the end of one era. Fate was about to step through the door.

Hurricane looks across the bar at me, and sez, "I have a proposition fer you. Two weeks in Key West. All you need to do is to learn the songs, [which I know you can do,] and wear a pirate costume, [which I know you have.] What say you, sir?"

I looked up at the ceiling and said, "Sounds interesting. Let me think about it."

Oliver reaches across and grabs me by the shirt: "Two weeks in Key West! Music! Pirates!!! What's there to THINK about??? Just do it!!!"

"You are right," I said. I turned back to Hurricane and replied. "I'm in."

Beginning of a new era. Nothing in myself or in my life has been the same since. Ah, the warm waters of the Caribbe... Adventures, rum, danger, love, fate, disaster, rum, hurricanes (4 of 'em,) music, more rum, sunsets that defy description, sailing, more rum, pillaging and much fun, frolicking and inspiration...

"Pirate, that's in yer blood mate, and ye'll have to square with that someday."

Edited by Nigel

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

It can only be blamed on one person.

So there I was, mindin' me own business. When Oliver Sudden (that's a friend of mine) buys me a beer, whilst sitting next to the nefarious scoundrel, Robb... err, Hurricane.

We had been pillaging together once or twice, I noticed there was something about him that was unique amongst even other pirates. He was trubble with a capital "T" and a lot of "rubble." He liked to stir things up. Very piratey.

So there I sat, having just finished the last gig with my previous band, witness to the end of one era. Fate was about to step through the door.

Hurricane looks across the bar at me, and sez, "I have a proposition fer you. Two weeks in Key West. All you need to do is to learn the songs, [which I know you can do,] and wear a pirate costume, [which I know you have.] What say you, sir?"

I looked up at the ceiling and said, "Sounds interesting. Let me think about it."

Oliver reaches across and grabs me by the shirt: "Two weeks in Key West! Music! Pirates!!! What's there to THINK about??? Just do it!!!"

"You are right," I said. I turned back to Hurricane and replied. "I'm in."

Beginning of a new era. Nothing in myself or in my life has been the same since. Ah, the warm waters of the Caribbe... Adventures, rum, danger, love, fate, disaster, rum, hurricanes (4 of 'em,) music, more rum, sunsets that defy description, sailing, more rum, pillaging and much fun, frolicking and inspiration...

"Pirate, that's in yer blood mate, and ye'll have to square with that someday."

I ashure you....... my interest is purely Monetary

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Honestly I was forced! Several years ago I was running a fan based wrestling website and I had bought some video equipment to record interviews and such with some local workers. Never using It before I brought it to a local Roller Derby match to get some practice in using it.

A guy who worked at the deli across from my work had a girl who was involved. He was very into pirates and their history and always talked about a group he started. He asked me to help tape a library event the following week – once I saw these kids work I was really hooked.

I started a website for them and about a year of following them and videoing their events I finally joined and never looked back. I had a great time watching this group grow into a real organization. This is our biggest year yet doing tours of Newport RI tons of library gigs…

I know some here are from here in Rhode Island, and have a ton of knowledge to share about the area, We’d love to meet you when ever you might be back to visit friends and family, actually that goes for anyone here as well

Tar

For me it was Mrs. batkins, my next door neighbor and babysitter. She knew how much I loved reading and when I was 6 she gave me two brown paper grocery bags full of books. The two I instantly started reading were Treasure Island and a copy of The Princess Bride. I would discover later when I got older and she passed away that her memory was going and most of the books were from the local library and she just forgot to return them! Never the less I spent whole days highlighting words I didn't understand and letting my imagination run wild with the parts I did comprehend. So much that my mom came home one day to find about 15 holes in the backyard from a treasure hunt. I actually did find a very rare mercury head dime buried in the backyard around hole 9, but I figured there might be more so I kept going. My parents decided to encourage my new found hobby by enrolling me in fencing classes at a local dojo that taught martial arts and olympic style fencing. When I was 9 I found my grandmothers old singer sewing machine and when halloween rolled around that was when I made my first pirate outfit. Been doing it ever since and wouldn't have things any other way

• 1 month later...

Oh my! I have to go waaay back into the dusty recesses of my memory to figure out what piqued my interest. :D

For me it probably started as a young child at the Seattle Seafair Parade & seeing/experiencing the Seafair Pirates. They always made a great (& loud) impression upon me. I remember my mom always bought me a plastic pirate sword & flag from the parade vendors.

Anyhow, there was also the old Saturday matinees on tv, watching Errol Flynn as Captain Blood (& the Black Swan etc), and I even remember watching Douglas Fairbanks climbing up the backside of a huge galleon & sliding down the sails with a knife!

I use to spend my summer's at my grandparents farm. And one summer, after I read Huck Finn, my grandfather built me a small raft to drift on the river behind their place. I took an old white cloth (t-shirt?) & drew a skull & crossbones on it, which my gramp's nailed onto a "mast" for me on my raft.

Somewhere along the way I read Treasure Island, and soon I was reading whatever I could on pirates like Blackbeard etc. I grew up in coastal towns in Washington State (I was born in one by the Pacific Ocean), so the water, ships, & islands have always been a part of my life & an inspiration as well. I really can't imagine living far away from the ocean waters. Like others, the POTC ride (back in the 1970's) was another influence on me, as was the Charlton Heston /Christian Bale version of Treasure Island (Oliver Reed's performance as Billy Bones is inspired! ;) ).

This has been my influences....but what has led me to put together an impression as a Gentleman of Fortune?

I have a great interest in history & living history. I cut my teeth doing American Civil War, later involved in the Rev War. For various reasons (including health) I took a leave of absence from living history, but I've been wishing to get back into it for sometime now. That & my daughter is getting older (11 yrs old now) & she really wants dad to join her dressed up for Halloween. So I started casting about for an idea. The family really enjoys the POTC film series, as well as the older pirate films, and we always chuckle when remembering that one time a few years ago (when my hair hung past my shoulders) we were out shopping & I was wearing a black t-shirt w/ a skull & crossbones on it, and a black bandana wrapped around my head, when this mother with two wee lasses came up to me & said that I made their day as her daughter's were going to go home and tell their dad they saw a real live pirate! ;)

All this plus about a year ago I discovered, while conducting some genealogical research, a real life pirate in the family tree (!!!) who had sailed with Wake, raided in the Red Sea with Avery, and then joined Avery, sailing back to New Providence, eventually sailing back to Ireland as the captain of the Issac, transporting 16 of Avery's crew to Dublin.

Thus it seems a steady life long progression and I have adopted the persona of my ancestor:

Captain Thomas Hollingsworth! ;)

Edited by Capt_Hollingsworth

• 3 weeks later...

I saw goonies when i was younger. But i didn't know much about pirates until i was around 12-13. Thank You Potc cotb. I fell inlove with that movie and always loved it since. Then i got into other movies. Around 2005-06 i made San Diego Pirate Coalition with a friend and then made a website and everything still building it up today. I'm almost 19 now so about 6 years into the piracy thing. I've practiced swordfighting for about 4 years now.

I started out with wired swords made from steel made from hand then steel rapiers and now Nerf swords.

I'm still expanding my garb too. I've adapted a modern look with the old look. Still figuring ideas for it. Might come with a line of clothing so use pirates can dress in the modern and still have that good feeling of looking it too.

My name - Alex Robets

Is my first and Middle name

My other name - Blackfoot Roberts

Is cause i don't like shoes and my feet turn black as the night cause of the road.

sig1-2.png

Piracy is freedom

Without a doubt, it was Errol Flynn. Growing up in the early days of TV, old movies were used to fill up air time. My masculine role models were Errol Flyn and Cary Grant. (Forget John Wane and his sissy walk.) If I have half the bavado of Errol and a quarter of Cary's suave, yo soy muy macho.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

Can't rightly say...might'a been that one kiddie book from when I was 6 or so...back cover had that classic woodcut of Black Bart Roberts at Whydah...the interest's just always been there. off and on...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 weeks later...

started as a lark, a way to spend some time with my son at a event close to home, stl. pirate fest. that's where it all went side ways for me. now my friends, rev war, think i am "the" knot nut. and my son still likes to hang out with his dad even if he does still play dress up and sword fight with his friends.

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

Always loved pirates, but waned as years went by. Then POTC rekindled things a bit and

on a lark we did talk like a pirate day for a team event at work.

So I figured if'n I could enjoy civil war re-enactments and the history around it, Pirates and GAOP was even better...

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

How did most of ye become interested in Pyrates?

Well laddies, that'd be a long story ..... but it'll be a few hours a'fore the tide turns so ......

I be descended from a long line of mariners on both sides 'n' grew up on the boats and wharfs of the upper Great Lakes where I captained me first ship in my twentieth year. I went west with the frontier in search of adventure and opportunities. I did a stint as a mule skinner, and turned me hand to a little robbery - trains, banks, whatever looked promising (Cowboy Action Shooting). More recently I ended up Captain of the Enterprise sailing Lake of the Woods (bordering Manitoba, Ontario, and Minnesota) And while riding at anchor in my home port, I watched the same passenger ship sail by on a regular schedule, all loaded down with gentry with gold in their pockets and nary a soldier or guard on board. With such easy pickin's who wouldn't turn to piracy!

Do ye have families?

Nope, just me 'n' my hound. (The last husband walked the plank some years ago at the point of a cutlass LOL!) Lookin' fer a crew and I rekon that's better than family.

Captain of Enterprise out of Rheault Bay

Always loved pirates, but waned as years went by. Then POTC rekindled things a bit and

on a lark we did talk like a pirate day for a team event at work.

So I figured if'n I could enjoy civil war re-enactments and the history around it, Pirates and GAOP was even better...

mP

It is better.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

For one I have always liked pirate, thanks to Disney and I have been going to reenactments for most of my life (it was the family vacation), but I got started in this about 20 years ago then it was Vikings. I convinced a friend of mine that he wanted to get involved and start a group with me, he did, and we did. As the years went by we lost the love for Viking living history and went our separate ways. About four years ago we got back in touch and he had started a Pirate group, I wasn't that interested in getting back into reenacting, but I did. Since then we have parted ways, he has become very successful with his group, made quite a business for himself, and I went my way and just do my own thing on my time.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

For me it was more a love of the Age of Sail in general, than of piracy in itself. But, as it can be seen, it further degenerated :D .

It began when I was 5 and my mother read me a book from my country, about an expedition to Magellan Straight after Darwin's.

(see the comments to the movie made after this book here, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121033/usercomments , at least they might give you an idea, because nothing else is in English) I fell in love with the characters and with their ship, a goelette named "Hope" ("L'Esperance" / "Speranta"). Then I hated pirates, because they were the negative characters, but I got the interest for tall ships... which remained in my soul for 35+ years.

I think I started to love pirates when reading Rafael Sabattini's "Captain Blood" and "The Sea Hawk" (before seeing the movies, but I love Errol Flynn too). Then there were the movies... Errol Flynn's, Robert Hossein's, and others.. and other books too...

I was 12 when I started writing my first Age of Sail story. It had no pirates in it... but did it matter? The next I am going to write (when I get tired of RPGs, thing which I don't now when it will happen) will have pirates too! (And some others had too - including a story of 115 pages I wrote when I was 19, about Vikings... who weren't saints, you know! :D )

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

• 1 year later...

Used to do CW reenacting & before that I did the buckskinning thing. Have allways loved blackpower & shooting them. Lost my leg in an accident in 2002. CW was out ... not so sure about riding a horse with one leg as I was used to training them to knee rein...can only go in one diretion now (one knee)...can't do infantry....too much walking over uneven groung...though about artillery ...got a price shock when I figured up what it would cost for a team of horses to pull a 9 pounder field piece & the casson...not to mention the price of the 9 pounder & casson.

When I lost my leg the Dr. wouldn't send me as fast as I wanted to get a prostesis so a buddy (who owns a woodworking shop) & me built my pegleg. Walked into the Dr.s wearing it & the Dr. allmost had a fit! He sent me to have my first leg built after that.

Anyway to make a looooong story short ... one of my grandsons had a 4th pirate birthday party & my Daughter asked if I still had the peg. Had to attach an ols prostetic socket to it but now I can walk with it as well as I walk with the prostesis. Had a blast doing it & looked around & found a Crew. Love it more than all the other reenacting I've done.

PeglegStrick

Reincarnation. Always been one, always will be. Always felt I had been a pirate in my previous life. When Jimmy Buffet came out with "A Pirate Looks at Forty", I felt he wrote it about me. Everything in the song mirrors my life. I even sail a "Pirate Ship", a Kenner Privateer. Been fascinated all of my life with collecting nautical stuff. My camera is a Canon. I "shoot pictures" with it. I chose my name partly because it resembles the only highjacker to never have been caught. I changed the spelling to align with an early occupation, a seller of ill begotten goods. The D.B. stands for Dirty B*st*rd. I don't see it as reenacting, it's more of a continuation of my life.

Edited by D B Couper

D.B. Couper

Been reenacting for 40 years, everything from WWII Commando to 15th Century handgonner. Most of what I've done has been irregular, ranger, or spec forces types. When I got involved with 18th century reenacting I was surprised and disappointed to find out how they really don't like the non mainstream, or lower end of society, impressions. Just way too uptight and prissy, putting all those founding fathers and mothers up on a pedestal. So, being the contrary bugger that I am, I decided that it was neccesary to show them the part of society that they refused to admit existed. Now, being an authenticist from wayback, I wasn't going to do it hollywood style, but to show them reality, more reality than most of them ever wanted to see. I've evolved a bit since then, and moved back from 18th century to 17th, doing the impression as one of Morgan's gunners. And got hooked, completely. I still do other time periods, but my piratical ventures, as a gunner for Morgan, or, in an earlier incarnation, a gunner for Drake and Clifford, are really what I like to do best.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg