Knives!

Jib

I'm currently working on a knife and belt sheath. Something I've wanted to do for a few years now. Patrick Hand posted a pic of a straight blade he made a few years ago showing a handle he pined with I think it was brass rod? Anyway I am trying my hand at fabricating a cannoneers knife using Patricks ideas and methods on the handle. The Cannoneers knife will have a brass blade ., since it dont spark.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I've used nails or brass rod as rivets.... you just have to be sure that there is a washer or something that will hold them in place once you have peaned the ends over...... ( or pean the snot outta them so there is enough metal to hold the scales in place.....)

It's happily cheap, and it works.....

I have three different sized navajas I carry, from a tiny boot knife to a hip knife and finally a nice big navaja designed to be carried in a folded sash the way the gypsies did. Other than that, for a fixed blade I use a Case Bowie...I just don't call it a Bowie since its out of period....the style however predates the guy it was finally named after by a century or more so its all good....

For using the navaja properly I suggest any book by Maestro James Loriega. I have had the honor to train under him over the years and have come to trust his techniques as sound and just damn fun to be able to use in a fight.....

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

What is a navajas?

It's one of these:

mynavaja.jpg

I just bought this one but unfortunately the blade tip is missing. I am sure i can create a suitable gory back story as to how it snapped off though. Hopefully I can use this one as a master to create some replica ones too B)

They are bigger than they look in pictures. This one is 13" long when open.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Depends what I'm doing. If I'm in 16th/early 17th century rig, I carry a bollock knife with a 7 inch blade . They were the common English knife of the period. For late 17th/18th century, I carry a sheepsfoot knife with a 5 inch blade.

Additionally, on my gunners belt, I have a triangular profile blade with a thick spine. On that spine are the measurements of the various bore sizes of English cannon. The scabbard for the knife also has a secondary sheath for a vent prick.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Additionally, on my gunners belt, I have a triangular profile blade with a thick spine. On that spine are the measurements of the various bore sizes of English cannon. The scabbard for the knife also has a secondary sheath for a vent prick.

Hawkyns

That sounds very cool. Have you got a picture of it as I am going to make something like that for our artillery displays?

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I have a question - do you, guys, allow me to save some photos of the best blades you use and, upon saving them in my Photobucket, to further use them for reference? My pirates and mercenary would like something like this! For example, my boys' navaja is this one:

navaja.jpg

and I have read the barratero fighting style manual in order to describe the fighting scenes...

The machete is this one:

machete.jpg

Feel free to use them for anything you need!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Lets see...

My favourites...

One folding, lock-back pocket knife

P3090002.jpg

One sgian dubh

P7030284.jpg

One sailor's knife

P9120102.jpg

And I'm liking an Adola Sailors Knife as well... need to pick up one or two...

http://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-adola-sailors-knife.htm

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org