Fugawee Shoes

My Blondie would NEVER let me hear the end of it if I paid $400+ for a pair of shoes!!! :rolleyes: All her shoes and boots together wouldn't add up to that! Loyalist shoes come from India, so the same thing can be said of those as is for Mexican shoes I guess. I bought my Ligioners second-hand but in great shape from another re-enactor that couldn't wear the straight-last. I'm looking at converting some sqaure-toe harness boots at present. They're crocked I know, but cheaper and made here in USA. I found a brown and a black pair I'm looking at doing this with. If it works out right, I'll let ya'll know.

Bo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're.... made here in USA.

Bo

Just becuase they are made in the USA does not mean they are NOT Mexican made! :rolleyes:

I shall leave before the PC police are called. (That's PC as in Politically Correct. Wow, too many acronyms flying about these days)

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Just becuase they are made in the USA does not mean they are NOT Mexican made! :rolleyes:

I shall leave before the PC police are called. (That's PC as in Politically Correct. Wow, too many acronyms flying about these days)

:lol: Good point! At least they don't come from Tysons or Carghills! :rolleyes:

Bo

nor that they were not made in a sweat shop in th' back woods o' some half deserted town in th' mid-west (or mid-east depend'en on which way ye be look'n) by some underpaid, under aged, half starved kids while Kirstie Alley looms over them shaking a turkey leg 'n shouting "Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!"

Kirstie Alley: "Are you people listening to me?!? I am having a STROKE here people, Call 911!!!"

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Really though, all rib-poking aside, ( I love pokin fun at guys talkin 'bout fashion and shoes! Love you all, but it's still funny to me), I'm just hard to fit shoes for. I don't buy anything I cannot try on because of that. Mary Diamonds shoes are an exception and those worked out quite well. If Loyalist someday gets all the buggars worked out and I can try before I buy, I'd be interested, but until that happens I'll just have to make do with what I got/get. It's that ol' white-trash country boy recyler thing that never goes away!

Bo

:::Shakes head::: Don't be feelin' bad about that, Bo. I've spoken to several and saw their footwear from Fugawee before I purchased my pair. The Townsend ones I went out on a limb for. I don't like ordering online either, I prefer to see the item right there in front of my face before I make a purchase. But with these shoes, I went out on a limb for but not after doing some "research" on these products first. :rolleyes:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

:) Tis good to hear, Kate.

I know, the Martha's are a nice pair. The heel is a nice wide heel for good stablity and distribution.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I love pokin fun at guys talkin 'bout fashion and shoes! Love you all, but it's still funny to me

L ;) L, You got a point there Cap'n, this kind fo talk would get you beat up when I was a kid.

But be that as it may, I'm going to order me a set of the early Loyalist shoes. Bad news is a 6 month backlog, but I should have them in time for PiP. I would like these shoes to work for 1670 - 1720. I've been told that rough out or smooth are equally represented in period shoes, anyone with any thoughts on this? What about the buckle vs. laces issue. What I've been told is buckles were just coming into fashon and laces were more common from the 1670 end. Can you switch betwen laces and buckles on a single pair of shoes?

Budding pyarate fashonistas need to know. ;)

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

But be that as it may, I'm going to order me a set of the early Loyalist shoes. Bad news is a 6 month backlog, but I should have them in time for PiP. I would like these shoes to work for 1670 - 1720. I've been told that rough out or smooth are equally represented in period shoes, anyone with any thoughts on this? What about the buckle vs. laces issue. What I've been told is buckles were just coming into fashon and laces were more common from the 1670 end. Can you switch betwen laces and buckles on a single pair of shoes?

Budding pyarate fashonistas need to know. ;)

I haven't paid close enough attention, but I think BlackJohn or GoF have, but the vibe I have gotten from reading in on many of the conversations in the past is as the period wore on, lacing pretty much disappeared.

While it is possible to have one pair of shoes set up for lacing and buckles, I think the two seperate sets of holes one would like need to have in order to do so, would affect the structural integrity of the latchets... So I don't think it would be advisable.

My suggestion, stick with the buckles....

Michael_banner.jpg

I found through my own that you have to make a decison as to laces or buckles. When I put GoF's buckles on my pair it was necessary to install new latchets over the old, as I had turned the latchets into laced and eliminating the old buckle hole for new re-inforced hole that wouldn't stretch when tied firmly. With laces you dont want the long latchet flopping about all the time, and makes it impossible to lace properly, so it gets cut too. My experience.

Bo

When did buckles first start being used? Was it as far back as the end of the English Civil War or say 1670 or more toward 1700?

Hah, I knew there had been a really good discussion or two on this before....

Shoe buckles for Period (GAoP) Shoes is a good summary for later period stuff

Shoes, Latchets, Buckles, Paging GoF, or other shoe experts is a more in depth thread on both early and later period buckles.

Gentleman of Fortune has a good page on the matter as well.

Hope one of these helps!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...