Pyracy Brew Crew

Pew

So maybe we're not all rum drinkers. How about a simple DIY beer review guide for those flavors you favor most. So what beer are you drinking now and what's your opinion of it?

We just finished a 6'er of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. Goode, but pales in comparison to Anchor Steam's Christmas Ale. I feel, the best of the holiday seasonals so far.

A friend gave us a bottle of Sam Adams Chocolate Bock for Christmas. Can't wait to break open it tonight....

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Pranqster is very good. IIRC, they make Red Seal Ale. That was a good beer. I'm soooo jealous of you folks west of the mississip.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I'm not a real beer fan, but I did find one that I liked very much. It's from a small brewery in Eureka, Ca, called Lost Coast Brewery. Their Raspberry Brown Ale is killer.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I'm not a real beer fan, but I did find one that I liked very much. It's from a small brewery in Eureka, Ca, called Lost Coast Brewery. Their Raspberry Brown Ale is killer.

There's nothing like an ale that gets you tanked and fixes that bladder infection :D

edit:

I don't know how big they are now but Fat Tire is a pretty darn good beer. They came around about 3 years ago and now I even see their beet in 7-11s. Good stuff.

Edited by Thequartermaster

How about what have ye got brewing?

Right now I've got aging on oak 5 gallons of cider, 6 gallons of Apfelwein, and 3 gallons of mead. Got another small jug of mead aging without oak, and some Cherry Sack going as well. As soon as I have a free carboy I'll be starting a batch of Quartermaster's Reserve Oaked Ale.

In the meantime, I'm drinking the best on tap at the Still House or anything from Deschutes Brewing.

Edited by Quartermaster James

Sitting here now trying out an interesting lil beer. Breckenridge Brewery's Remarkable Vanilla Porter. I think I like it. The vanilla adds a little smoothness to the porter's normal "edge" without taking away from the full bodied flavor. It's not too sweet and not too bitter, definitely "Partakable" as the label proclaims!!

I am going to sip it and see what notes come through as it warms a little.

Ahhhh beeeerr.... Mmmmmmm

To my knowledge neither of these recommendation can be got outside of Canada...

But "Amsterdam Nut Brown" brewed in Toronto is awesome! If you ever get to Toronto, many of the local pubs carry it, but if that fails you can go to the brewery itself which has a pub attached down on King Street (near Peter Street? Or is it John street? I always get those confused somehow)

Churchkey brewery makes many great ales, but they are hard to find even in Canada. Best bet is usually the nearest LCBO store.

Now for something that is imported to the US in small quantities is anything made from Unibroe out of Quebec.

I'm most partial to "La Fin du Monde" (that's "End of the world" in English) or "Maudite", but I have yet to meet a Unibroe ale or beer that I didn't like! Oh, just so there is no confusion, "Unibroe" is the name of the brewery and not an out of control lower forehead hair growth. :blink:

Michael_banner.jpg

Newcastle Brown Ale (Fer me this is the standard that all other "brown's" must strive to emulate)

or

Smithwick's Irish Red Ale (A great "here I am" tasting Irish Red)

or

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat (A good cleanser of the palette. The best good with crabs beer IMO.)

or

Bitburger (A classic German beer without the heavy after taste so many have)

or

as a last resort it be Original Coors. (The much maligned Coors. Perhap's the lightest of beers, but with a very clean and pure taste. Yet to give the devil it's do- many a lad hates it for this very feature and calls it drinking water. Ah, if all water was as such!)

Fair winds,

-Greydog

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I've got to put a word in for a few more faves:

Stone Brewery's Oaked Arrogant Bastard - beer fit for a pyrate!

The Green Flash Brewery's Hop Head Red - mmm, mmm good!

Deschutes Jubelale - wish it had more hops this year...

Terminal Gravity Brewing's IPA - get it on tap, great hop nose!

Remember folks, the beer here is just one more reason to get out west for the Portland Pirate Festival!

I will add:

Oregon's Rogue Brewery's Honey Ale (makes great beer bread), and their Dead Guy ale.

Really, Oregon and Washington are the heartland of beer in the West! Truly! More micro brews than you can shake a stick at — or sink a ship with. :D

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I'm most partial to "La Fin du Monde" (that's "End of the world" in English) or "Maudite", but I have yet to meet a Unibroe ale or beer that I didn't like!

Two of my favorites!

Newcastle Brown Ale (Fer me this is the standard that all other "brown's" must strive to emulate)

Delicious, yes. But, pales to Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

I've got to put a word in for a few more faves:

Stone Brewery's Oaked Arrogant Bastard - beer fit for a pyrate!

I once became quite inebriated of that brew this summer in a pool somewhere....That and their Stone IPA....

Okay then. Best IPA you've ever had?

Really, Oregon and Washington are the heartland of beer in the West! Truly! More micro brews than you can shake a stick at — or sink a ship with. :D

Bastards, the lot o' ye!!

Not much of a drinker myself....especially when it comes to beers, but I've gotten a great respect for any Yellow Tail wines. They are probably the absolute best I've ever had.

The new Rose they've come out with is wonderful as are the Merlot and white wines they have.

We have Stone Brewery practically in our backyard. We are just a couple of miles from it, though we have never been there, you can get lunch and dinner there.....actually we tried to find the place one time and couldn't; Boats is a beer lover.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, beer... my affinity for this drink is quite well established. I must as of late

my tastes have made a turn for the hops. (The ingredient)

Dog Fish Head 90 minute IPA is always welcome along with the 60min (Haven't tried the 120 yet!)

Sierra Nevada is always a fine choice.

Had an IPA called

Maharaja on tap, twas a 9% alcohol content giving this a good whopping punch.

and yes Unibroue is always a good choice. Although La fin de Monde for me can be a bit think for my taste.

Edited by Jack Roberts

Delicious, yes. But, pales to Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

Based on this ringing endorsement I have tried Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I'll admit that it is very good. However, I still stand by my Nukie as my favorite. Smith's was too strong a flavor to be my favorite, so that means ye be right, Newcastle does pale in comaprision and that be why I like it! :P

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I like my beers depending on my activities:

a pint of Guinness if I plan on being somewhere for a while

Sam Adam's Seasonals if I want to get a nice buzz going

and Magner's if I am planning on getting obliterated

The above order is how fast i can finish a pint of it. Magners is a little harder to find, so I usually grab a pint of Sam Adams when I head out to the local watering hole.

(And for the sake of trivia Magners is called Bulmers in Ireland)

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.