Pyracy Brew Crew

Pew

So Magners=Bulmers?

Huh. Sure enough:

bulmers.jpg = Magners-Master_243x247.jpg

Excellent.

As far as ciders go, I'm partial to Strongbow. But they serve Hardcore at our local Rennfest. We usually mix Hardcore and Mackeson XXX.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

yeah the magners is the same as bulmers, but bulmers back home (in ireland) tastes better. I never had Strongbow until I went to a bar in Spain, and I must say it was very tasty indeed. Would drink it again anytime. Not too much of a stout person. I like my lagers and ciders :-P. Guinness is the only exception to that rule lol

m_88912d35e54b4e34952d9677df54b55f.png

Half Moon Marauders

Irish Diplomacy... is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

We have Stone Brewery practically in our backyard.

Even with all the fyne brewing going on up here, I envy ye that Rumba! Stone's Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale is the inspiration for my Quartermaster's Reserve Oaked Ale; more oak in mine though.

Edited by Quartermaster James

Yaaar! This was my first time trying this ale but it was much better then I was expecting. It doesn't have much of a flavor for an "ale" but it was very smooth. I think its "style" is more like a hefeweizen but tasted more like Boddington's. Non the less it was a good one AND named after my favorite group.

My lady picked it up at Bevmo as a joke but it was still pretty good.

holyale.jpg

I sampled some of the new Springbock's that are arriving locally. Sam Adams had theirs out as well as Avery's.

Edited by Tomas Guerrero

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

0000banner-accommodation.png

Sam Adams is fairly run of the mill. Good though, but unremarkable for myself. We journeyed to our local imbibery and picked up a 6 pack of singles. The two we had tonight were North Coast Brewery's Old Stock Ale (12.5%, very Barleywine-esqe), and Leinenekugel's new spring 1883 Bock. Both were delicious, and worth a full compliment of 5 more of their siblings.

old_st.jpg

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

drool.gifdrool.gifdrool.gif

Where would one perchance in purchasing said Bridgeport's Hop Czar Triple Hopped Imperial IPA?

Sad news, I am afraid I must relay. Upon hearing that Bridgeport still had 22 ounce bottles in stock, I stopped by the brewery today to pick up a case hoping I might send some out to those stranded in far flung lands without. Unfortunately, it is all gone. If, perchance you see some in your local market, by all means by it!

Two more to add:

Green Flash Brewing Co's West Coast IPA and Sierra Nevada's ESB (Early Spring Beer).

greenflashwestcoastipa.jpgsierra-nevada-esb.jpg

Another two delicious beverages.

Tried some Piraat the other day. Most places seem to rate it fairly high, but I didn't care for it much.

piraatet2.jpg

Tried a brew called Scottish White Ale (on tap) at the Blind Tiger about a month ago and I did like it quite a bit. Need to go back and find out where I can get some.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Sounds good Joe. Our local tavern just put their Fordham Dopplebock on the taps. Review forthcoming...

Last night's picks:

0204091941.jpg

Haven't had the Redhook double black yet this year. We've had it previously though and it is great, (it's the Starbucks and Redhook brew.)

The Eye of the Hawk was good but disappeared flavor-wise as you drank it. Very clean, but unremarkable. Think of an IPA light.

Avery's Mephistopheles was ridiculously good. 16%ABV and it tasted it. Dark black body in color, but the head was a deep cherry color. Very heavy and bold. We only had one after dinner and it as all you needed. Let it warm to room temperature and you'll get the most flavor from it.

• 4 weeks later...

Last two sixers to perish within our confines:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA:

Torpedo-bot.jpg

Stoudts Double IPA:

2555770321_d7818021d8.jpg

The Torpedo is probably one of my favorite new beers. The temp outside was quite warm here the other day and we were able to enjoy an English pint glass full of the the hoppiness sitting in the sun. By Zeus's beard it needs to be summer-time, soon!

• 1 month later...

Picked a few more new ones:

Shiner Commemorator 100 years

Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA

The Shiner is very good. A slowly disappearing aftertaste, but with enough bite that makes it worth waiting for 100 years. Think a strong Bock, but not quite a doppelbock.

Double IPA is strong. It is definitely an apertif beverage. Smells of pine and orange peel, tastes of nutmeg and lemon peel. Very good.

Found another new brew last night.

Kona Brewing's Pipeline Porter. Made with real Kona coffee. Not bad but doesn't taste like a porter, more like a light stout with slightly smoky coffee overtones. Okay. Good for one or two...

Kona%20Brewing%20Co%20Pipeline%20Porter%20Ale%20made%20with%20Kona%20Coffee..jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An excellent time of year for you brewerianas. The springbocks can still be found on the shelves and the summer wheats are arriving daily. Shiner's Hefeweizen found its way home with me. For me, this is the best hefe around....

Now with new label:

normal_75036_large.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Flavor of the weekend:

Blue Point Brewing's Summer Ale: very good. clean, with a sweet aftertaste. Bad choice of words but very similar to sweet tasting 'light' beer. Lighter than a Sam Adams or Anderson Valley summer brew, but well worth a taste.

blue-point-summer-ale.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
WOW.

0511092020.jpg

Just...wow....

Aye it was good... I had it on tap, but I missed the fine carbonation that a regular Guinness has. It reminded me of the Guinness Export I had in Aruba. It had a whopping 7% alcohol content. It was Guinness only a wee bit sweeter.

Edited by Jack Roberts

• 3 weeks later...

Last two sixers to perish within our confines:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA:

Torpedo-bot.jpg

The Torpedo is probably one of my favorite new beers. The temp outside was quite warm here the other day and we were able to enjoy an English pint glass full of the the hoppiness sitting in the sun. By Zeus's beard it needs to be summer-time, soon!

I second the Torpedo. Very good IPA, nice and hoppy. (Its puts a little bounce in yer step. ;) )

• 2 months later...

How about what have ye got brewing?

~~Quote trimmed for simplicity~~

OK for currently aging and fermenting stock:

-5 gallons Chocolate mead (estimated drink ready July 1 2011)

-3 gallons Blueberry Banger (estimated drink ready Jan 1 2010)

-2 gallons Orange Spiced Mead (estimated drink ready Nov 15 2009)

-2 gallons Spiced Cider Mead (estimated drink ready Feb 10 2010)

-1 bottle Dragon's Blood mead (Blood oranges and spices)(drinkable now but will improve with age.)

-1 bottle Mystical Mythical Melomel (estimated drink ready Dec 15 2009)

Planned projects:

-small yield batch of Liquid Sex Chocolate Mead (probably 1 gallon batch)

-small yield batch Hellfire Mead (Habanero Pepper Mead)(definitely in one gallon batch, and only given to the very brave.)

-5 gallon batch of Apple Pie in a bottle (Spices and apples mead)

Ric

At the end of the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box.

Time for Autumn!! Which means:

octoberfest.jpg

Several regulars are on the market again this fall: Sam Adams, Pyramid, Otter Creek, etc

Paulaner has joined the ranks with their version of an amber Octoberfest. Fairly unremarkable save for it being an amber. I would have thought it would have been more flavorful as a Marzen . . .

paulaner_oktoberfest_sixer.jpg

Erdinger also is back. Tasty. Seems to be smoother than the Paulaner and bit more well-rounded.

Erdinger-761692.jpg

Don't forget to try my favorite hometown beer:

heavyseas_prosit.gif