Period style items in mainstream places

LadyBarbossa

Ahoy!

Hey, figured would start something like this again, I think we has something like this sometime back and is not longer part of the Pub archives.

Anyway, I know some folks have found some good finds at some of the most oddest of places that would be period enough places. Heck, Kate found some wooden spoons at JoAnn Fabrics. :)

Check this yo'r local Target in the candle aisle for a period style lantern! It's a BIG lantern & looks similiar to what most sutlers sell. It's wood and metal and sqaure with a nice handle. Looks like something sold from Jas. Townsend (since they are famous for their period lanterns). Only issue is it has no cover of any sort. Perhaps some people prefer it without a cover.

Anyways, this sells for $49.99. So, if ye have th' coinage... GRAB IT! Or however many ye can afford before they are all gone and no longer carried by the store.

Heck, I found my small lantern and the fabric for my one Rev War dress at Goodwill. Oh, the shock and surprise there when I told people that. :)

If ye have a Michaels craft store around ye, look back in the woodworking area. They have a couple of premade wood chests that are fantastic to store clothing, dishes, and all sorts of small and medium sized items in. I suppose one MIGHT be able to fit a 6 by 7 by 6 tent in one, I never tried. Hmmm, will have to check that out.

Price last I saw was around $30 - $40 at most.

Wal Mart! Hehehe, believe it or not, has had a couple of fabric bolts that could be possible for the 18th c. Depending upon the era.

I've actually had better luck at Hancock Fabrics where I spotted in the calicos a blue and white calico in the large floral pattern of the mid and late 18th c. But that is one of many I have spotted. Most are of 100% cotton base. So, look about! This store is even carrying more silks, too. So anyone handy with painting on fabric? Ye can make yo'r own period patterned fabric for a fine outfit!

Price per yardage ranged from $4 per yard to $30 per yard. But then again, Hancock has sales A LOT! So, guaranteed ye can get them cheaper. And especially if ye find it in the piling mound of remenants table. Whether it's purely period or close enough, great deals there!

Oh, and I've had fantastic luck finding some fine plumes at local Antique shops, too. Hehehe, where else did ye think I got all m' plumes fo' m' hats? Every one of them are from an antique store. :rolleyes:

As much as we LOVE to stick with our fav Sutlers because of authenticity standards... sometimes ye miss a little something out there from non-period places.

Keep yo'r eyes wide open, mates. :D

So, tell folks what ye've found and where plus price if possible.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

BIG LOTS!

At many times of the year you can find really cool lanterns that come very close to 'period'.

TARGET!

Now is selling fantastic wooden bowls that are absolutely perfect for any period table.

DOLLAR TREE!

At some of these stores you can find pirate buttons for clothing and other goodies to dress up yourself or a table.

For people in the San Diego area:

THE INDIAN STORE - 338 W. El Norte Parkway, Escondido, CA. ,760-746-1303

Fantastic beads, animal hides, feathers, leather, bones and skulls, and tons of other great goodies. (No web site)

• 5 months later...

Yar!

Necropost!!

My Lady works at Home Goods and they have all sorts of nifty stuff to fit a pirate theme. I just picked up a beautiful chest from there on Monday. They also have ships wheels and a variety of nautical decorations from time to time.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

Wallie World [Walmart]

They have 2 sizes of large black lanterns. The smaller is $20 and perfect for night events. They are black painted iron and look great! You could put candles or oil lamps inside them and they have glass windows and a door that allows easy access. I modified mine with yellowy bubble glass from a glass shop and put a partially dismantled battery powered lamp inside. Looks mighty shipworthy!

• 2 weeks later...

Mcdrago, is this the lantern?

100_2128.jpg

It was 19 at my walmart, but it was mislabeled so I got it for 12. =) Is it period enough? (OK, i hate that I have to say "enough" we are just on a tight budget right now and need stuff! lol)

Also at Walmart:

100_2133.jpg

100_2134.jpg

That ladle looks ecactly like the one on JAS-townsend, but I have to sand off the Paula Dean stamp on the handle, but its not bad and very well made. And I love that it was under 6. The bowl was under five- 4.97 I think.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

My Lady works at Home Goods and they have all sorts of nifty stuff to fit a pirate theme. I just picked up a beautiful chest from there on Monday. They also have ships wheels and a variety of nautical decorations from time to time.

Say, can she get me some Casa Europa brand Raspberry Macadamia flavored coffee? It's in a black bag. I've contacted the distributor (Ro-mart Inc.) and they keep telling to check Home Goods and their brother companies. I have had no luck - their coffee assortments seem to border on the random.

Home goods does have stuff that you could fit into a pirate theme, though. Another place I've occasionally seen such things is at Hobby Lobby. I picked up a really cool wrought iron-ey looking lantern.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

World Market

It has many items that easily fit into period. You'll find baskets, rugs, fruniture, eating and drinking items. Of course while they may look correct one can point out things like modern nails in the wood. You'd be correct on exacting detail points, but that isn't the point of this thread anyway!

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Mcdrago, is this the lantern?

100_2128.jpg

It was 19 at my walmart, but it was mislabeled so I got it for 12. =) Is it period enough? (OK, i hate that I have to say "enough" we are just on a tight budget right now and need stuff! lol)

Nay lass, but tis close enough. I highly modified mine with black plastic strips and hand made yellow bubble glass.

I like to browse the stores mentioned but also Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I purloined a lovely folding teak table for $26. The matching chairs were sold separately (dangitall) but what a deal. I will definitely check out Wallie World for the ladle and plates!

Bed Bath & Beyond.... I've found some small to large rugs there in Persian style, perfect for outdoorsy encampment if anyone be interested.

And those in the midwest.... Check Menards for likewise Persian style rugs. Not at the same prices as Bed Bath & Beyond, but still close enough.

~Lady B

the rugs at Menards were on sale about a month ago for $29 with rebate, like I told LadyB.. without rebate they are $34 and have persian style and very simple styles... also check out Target patio rugs for woven ones like reeds..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fantastic thread!

I'm already trying to get our gear in order for this years PiP so this so so helpful.

I'm in one or more of those stores almost daily, yet it never dawned on me to look for items there! I'm so worried about being as PC as possible, but seriously, I'm cutting corners where ever I can, thank you guys so much for the info!

And, about the rugs, which materials and prints should one be looking for? I know we're setting up a small camp, so I was interested in getting a chest or two to keep our things put away that aren't pc etc. and perhaps a table and chairs, but was worried about being PC, so was just going to go with canvas for now until we figured out something simple to bring with us and still be alright with.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Nope, this is the place to post that, Mooseworth. ;) And you got yo'rself quite the mug there, mate. Nice find.

Well, recently found some awesome items over the past couple of months with barely any 'damage' (as mooseworth would say) to m' purse. What had I found?

~a full size period lantern

~a portal writing desk, small but roomy enough to hold many quill pens, a couple of ink bottles, several seals, several sticks of wax and large amounts of paper in normal legal standard size. Plus, room to spare! For only $2. Sits comfortably upon a table or flat surface or lap.

~more mugs (granted they had the clear bottoms)

~linen, hemp, cotton, etc threads and yarns

.... that's just a small amount of various finds. I've passed over so much already such as candleboxes, silver platers and other silver wares, brass candleholders in period style, etc.

And where did I find all these? One place - Goodwill! Amazing what you can find there, hmm?

Oh, BTW... I purchased a loverly colonial chair from a retired art professor from the U of I (real cheap, no more than $20) and it's absolutely gorgeous! It's a Windsor style with the armrests and better yet... it's a braceback!

Plus... wishing I have $400. I saw on Craigslist that an antique rope bed was up for sale in the Cedar Rapids area. ::: whimpers:::

Oh! Auctions! Don't forget them! Obtained an antique wood folding table for $10. Perfect to carting to events.

Anyone still finding awesome stuff out there?

I can't recall who found it... but they stated that Michaels Craft store had linen thread. They sure do and don't pass it up, mates! Plus, that's where I found some of my small, wood chests that hold most of my clothing, cookery, utensils, etc.

~Lady B

While running through WalMart Miami on the way down to PiP ~ (needed some black acrylic paint and a few art brushes)

In their crafts section, I found some lovely Thick soft polished hemp twines. I picked up 2 balls, and can't wait to re-knot my bottles. Sold in a ball, with a blue and white paper label identifying it as Fashion Cord. Not sure how the pricing compares to other vendors, but it was a see it-feel it-want it thing ~ :blink:

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Think I've seen them at a couple WalMarts around here, too, Mary. Lemme know how ye likes them. At the moment, I've got m' eyes upon th' linen thread at Michaels that was pointed out a few months ago.

~Lady B

found some amazingly good lantern hooks for my tent ridge pole. Black with curled ends, very sturdy, looks smith made. Also screw in hooks and shelf holders, all about $4 and at menards in the small plant/garage section.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg