points and choreography

RustyNell

I would love to be able to 'attack and defend' without looking so stiff and staged.

video it....when ya watch it back...it really shows what ya need to do different....we truly are our worst critiques.....unless i am trainin ya...then i am... :blink:

Lilly and Bess looking at 'La Dogge' - "Great, just what we need another man to bark at us!"

Oh Maddogge, I really loved it when you were teaching me the 'blows'. (Again girls,...strikes to bring your victim down). This was wonderful and very helpful knowing how to strike without injuring your victim ...it looked so real!

The best part was kicking you in the face! All I can remember is yelling..."Can I do it again? Can I do it again?!"

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG why didn't I think of it sooner,,, here's the perfect training video!!

THE SCARLETT PUMPERNICKELL!!

Only if I get the line "you ain't got a chance. I'm the hero of this fight and you know what happens to the villain!"

"So what's to know??"

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

cheecky...also play music while moving....you can really find a tempo...helps with fluidity( ithink thats a word)

Now I'm gonna be a smart-arse....2/4 or 4/4 measure?

There is that technique that you showed us back or Port Washington's Pyrate Fest. For lack of a better name, "The Approach, Strike and Pause". I hope you know of what I speak.

It when the two fighters approach, clash once, then move in a fluid motion, then proceed to approach, clash, and pause again.

I know you mentioned that this helps 'build up and draw out' a fight scene.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

CHEEKY:

Blame the Marine

He's the one who suggested practicing to music (he's right it helps with fluidity ... still... The thought of getting so used to using music made me laugh at the thought of Lily and Sterling.

Still a lady having another reason to make a man meet her demands... well it keeps him on his toes.

Diosa quoted Daffy well, so I'll reiterate.

"You ain't got a chance. I'm the hero of this picture and you know what happens to the villain!

:blink:

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

i am in the middle of tellin my 6 month pregnant wife why 2 girls want me to come back to florida for a long weekend...?!?!?

i think i am 'bout to git some real sword practice....ooof :blink:

You could always tell her we just want to use you and send you home.... no wait... that doesn't sound right either....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

"It's gettin so ya's have to kill ya self to sell a story around here"

(one last Pumpernickel quote I couldn't resist)

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Well if worse comes to worst and Mrs. Maddogge won't let the captain out to play with you ladies, if everyone is still coming to Blackbeard's, ye can all come a few days early, if Maddogge can make that, and work out at my place. Two acres and plenty of room to wield a sword...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

.... work out at my place. Two acres and plenty of room to wield a sword...

ahemmm ....and Captain with all that room in yer yard sir, what kind a sword or should I say swoard will we be wielding?

ummm broads....or should I say ladies would you like to answer that question?

and Captain that sounds splendid you know I'll be there!

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

will we be wielding?

Yer choice

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

will we be wielding?

Yer choice

Thats what always gets me in trouble... too much on the menu.

Ok seriously, it really would be wonderful to have some fighting time. And to spend a few extra days with you guys at Blackbeard's. I would love to have a mini fight workshop. Thanks for the offer Captain.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Aye

Crewe of the Archangel

though i whole hardily agree with ya on the importance of footework.....i find it far more...well safer to git the newbie....standin still...on the balls of there feet perhaps...but not movin....until after the show profiectcy with the dangerous end first....hitting there target zone....blocking in their target zone.....once ya get the pair of them....with the sewquence agreed upon...then start them on the foot work....i find that if ya do it the other way round...they then dont pay attention to their sharpie!?!

because once ya hve em movin...witha sharpie....a whole new world opens up...they have to pay atention to where they are goin...where the other guy is goin...pay attention to where the crowd is....how close they are to each other...how close to the crowd....what comes next in the sequence....they have to be the eyes of the opponent behind them for obstacles....be led by the opponent for obstacles underfoot....breathe...say their lines...remember their lines....what comes next...what was that distraction....sun in my eyes.... :blink:

...all the time keeping the sharpie away from the opponents face.....

nah....i thnk foote work comes next...first get em hitting their zones first.

I agree when your talking weapons.

Don't you think its a good idea to have fighters do hand to hand before ever going to weapons though? At least then they can be a part of fights until they are safe enough to use a weapon.

I think people start to feel left out in the training period and I worry that people rush to progress too quickly and thats how they get hurt. If they can learn the basics of stage fighting first and learn how to make a fight LOOK like a fight they might feel more comfortable and have better control of their body by the time they pick up a weapon. Just my thought.

And to be honest I'm delaying my ability to use my sword.. that would mean I'm a long way away from fighting with steel, my conditioning is way off. I am willing to put it aside if it means in the long run I'm a more believable stage fighter.

Pardon me fer butt'n in again, but I would have t' agree with RustyNell again, 'n not just because she be prettier then ye M.A.d'Dogge.

I know, I know, I am going back to actual 'competition' and combat again - but still - one always must start with the Basics, and the Basics in any form o' combat be it weapon or hand-to-hand is the Stance, the Balance, the Footwork. As th' masters always say "You advanced style will only be as strong as your basic."

One should always learn t' walk solid before attempting t' walk with a blade (in most martial arts you are forced to First pick a wood, become proficient with that, then ye get t' pick a blade). Even in fencing (with any blade) they first drill th' foot work in ye till yer sick of it (true, I have not had th' fortune of such training, but I watch those who have)

However, tis still true that once the blade (sharpie or dullie) be put first time in the newbie's hand THEN, the footwork should STOP and first learn t' hit th' mark stand'n still, then intricate the already learned footwork in.

Aye, this be th' 'combat' method t' train, but stage should take head in such matters as both can be equally dangerous, even deadly. While one may be able t' stand 'n wield a sword - can they Walk 'n Chew Gum at the' same time? After all, the whole stance and step method of sword play be very similar t' the martials, keeping least exposed t' yer opponent (excuse me; Partner) and always stay center balanced. Can be awkward at first for some, I know I still must focus on side steps with blade in hand. Not t' mention a lunge or double step - ALWAYS teach a newbie that First Without a sharpie, then once they can do so with grace, then put a sharpie in hand.

So first teach one the walk, then teach he'n t' talk, then teach he'm t' walk and talk.

*I know, I know; I be preach'n t' quire now....but sometimes even a master can take young grasshoper's innocence for granted. Better t' "preach" t' the quire then hear a newbie scream out in soprano*

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

for the most part...i agree...but...for the stage....a grand fight can be had with out ever movin your feet...the most important part of the stage sword...is hitting our zone consistantly....without that base to build on...you never need to move your feet.

and footework for each style is different....rapier vs braodsword vs pole arm vs long knife.....all have different footework and body posturing....but the target zones...the target zones are all the same....

so if one lerans the target zones first..blocks then strikes....then the added footework for each style can be focused on with the target zones allready in place....

for it is our target zones...that auraua of saftey...that keeps us safe...

before one can run with scissors...one must first learn to stand with one.....

tho i do agree with while learning a new ..."part"...the sharpies go on the floor...hands free....then add the swords again....like building blocks

:blink:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

for the most part...i agree...but...for the stage....a grand fight can be had with out ever movin your feet...the most important part of the stage sword...is hitting our zone consistently....without that base to build on...you never need to move your feet.

True, I can see that point. Would be a whole discipline in itself t' get one t' fight an entire scene without move'n one's feet, plant'd like a tree they would be. Interesting discipline.

Forgive me however dear sir as it still seems awkward t' me but would certainly be good practice. However I would still fear - think'n bout one who not have any other background/skill to draw from, absolute newbie jump'n in head first and hold'n a weapon for the first time thinking it is all just good fun, which of course it should be (true combat training should be 'good fun' as well, I know I laugh'd as I went home and rubbed Tiger Balm 'n Dragon Saliva ont' me welts! :D ); but what would worry me is if he "had to move", fell off balance, etc - if he had not first practiced How to step (forward, backwards, sideways) and he was knocked off balance - would he fall upon th' blade that he now is such good aim with? Or would he trip upon he's own two feet?

Me own parents never let me run with scissors until I first learn'd t' walk:

"Mad L! Ye put them scissors Down this instant! Ye learn t' Walk without fall'n down before ye run with them things mind ye!!"

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

I think thats why we all start with wood. Until the fight master determines a fighters condition is up to par, they shouldn't be using steel.

And Dogge I agree with the fact that a fight can look like a great fight without ever moving your feet. Thats how Dead-eye teaches as well, strike zones first. Still... you have to move them eventually and I feel like from what I see especially with older fighters, center and balance are so important. I think thats what delays their development as fighters is the lack of movement and balance. All movement gets more difficult as you age and when you add in a need for balance - really important when your carrying a weapon (considering the weight of it throws you off balance) If you don't really exercise all areas of movement required for the task. Anyway, I think they are all equally important, no matter what order you teach them in, as long as you teach them both. My main reason for starting with movement be it feet or hands before weapons are even introduced was to get people to understand this isn't really fighting, its a "movement" first and foremost,

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

if this was sport fencing...or contact swordplay...as in a competion...or sca...i would agree with ya both....

bu then we would be using masks,vests gloves and a myriad of saftey equipment....

but in stage combat....where the look of a real fight is the goal....we dont wear the masks, or helms, or vest...you could virtualy fight nekid......for we have what is known ...or at least i call it...the AURA OF SAFTEY......

it is a distance from the opponent....that YOUR sword never violates...ever....thats the target zone....once proficient....you can go thru all the strikes....with your opponents arms at his side...eyes closed....and neverNEVER hit him.....never violate the AURA OF SAFTEY...period....(less of course choreographed in for a kill scenes)

when we block/parry....the opponent meets your strike....just outside the AURA..or target zone.....thats where the swords meet...clank...etc

if a parry is dropped...or late...or your opponennt trips over his sword....and isnt there to stop your blade swinging at his head...its ok...your allready goinna stop before his....AURA or TARGET ZONE...just outside his noggin.....

this is our saftey...our ONLY TRUE SAFTEY....thats why ...before anything else...the target zones are learned and practised...before you jumble their heads with anything else...then we may proceed with the feet....style...choreographs etcetc.....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Oh I KNOW this is exactly how we fight...RULE #1 "WE NEVER HIT EACH OTHER" RULE #2 "MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YA DID" I mean I've done points with my eyes closed and had them done on me with closed eyes - still there's nothing wrong with some physical conditioning as part of the fighters training. It sure doesn't hurt. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying its unsafe without it. No not at all! So i hope you don't think I'm questioning your or Dead-eyes methods. Honestly we learn the same way you do, points first.

Everyone learns differently is all, and some people have better centers of balance than others. The only point I was trying to make was that physical conditioning and balance is important to anything that requires timing, endurance and movement.

I learned points first as did everyone in the crew with no injuries to date.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce