Roger McGuinn's 'Seafaring' shanties

MadL

A topic in another thread got me t' think'n about shanties sung in a bit more traditional manor then what we hear them at faire today then I remembered this link I found. He has four CDs it says but ye can sample some full tracks here:

Roger McGuinn's Fork Den

He has nice handful o' 'seafaring' song such as:

Whup Jamboree

Perry’s Victory

Haul Away Joe

Heave Away

Bonny Ship the Diamond

'n be sure t' check th' links on th' lower right for a wonderful score o' "The Gallows Pole", he also does a right fine version o' "Silver Dagger".

...now if we can just get Capt'n Scapegoat t' cut a CD, I would love t' hear "Sirens on the Shore" again!

B)

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• 2 weeks later...
A topic in another thread got me t' think'n about shanties sung in a bit more traditional manor then what we hear them at faire today then I remembered this link I found. He has four CDs it says but ye can sample some full tracks here:

Roger McGuinn's Fork Den

He has nice handful o' 'seafaring' song such as:

Whup Jamboree

Perry’s Victory

Haul Away Joe

Heave Away

Bonny Ship the Diamond

'n be sure t' check th' links on th' lower right for a wonderful score o' "The Gallows Pole", he also does a right fine version o' "Silver Dagger".

...now if we can just get Capt'n Scapegoat t' cut a CD, I would love t' hear "Sirens on the Shore" again!

:blink:

Roger McGuinn is also the author of "The Cardiff Rose". A great pirate song. I contacted him once about getting permission to include it in our No Quarter Given Pirate Song Book, and he said he would have given us permission, except that EMI (or was it BMI) now owns the rights, and we'd have to deal with them. From what Roger told me, it sounds like they're much bigger pirates than we are at NQG, and it would take a pretty penny or two to liberate the rights to the song, so I didn't pursue it further.

--Jamaica Rose

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

• 6 months later...

Roger McGuinn is also the author of "The Cardiff Rose". A great pirate song. I contacted him once about getting permission to include it in our No Quarter Given Pirate Song Book, and he said he would have given us permission, except that EMI (or was it BMI) now owns the rights, and we'd have to deal with them. From what Roger told me, it sounds like they're much bigger pirates than we are at NQG, and it would take a pretty penny or two to liberate the rights to the song, so I didn't pursue it further.

--Jamaica Rose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WlE7KYAOM&feature=player_embedded

For them that not knows it yet ;-}

Ahhhh....

Haul Away Joe!

Me own favaorite song to sing! :(

Good see'n ya at the shore line last week as well mate....

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Aye, good t' finally meet ye too Iron Bess, th' Goat Beater!! (it is ok t' keep beating a dead goat with a stick now is it not...just not a dead horse fer it may get back up 'n kick ya!)

:(

*Whacker*.. m'love, playing the Bodhran brands you a *Goat Whacker* :(

(chuckle) I've been called worse! B)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Ohhhh, a Goat Whacker... :P .... :P ..now that just plain sounds Dirty!!