Concertina Questions

I gave Harry an cheap one someone gave me...he learned on it for a while but it eventually broke, he's been doing some research and might be able to share some of what he's found. I'll forward this to him for you.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

It may not be of much help but I have found that as good a selection that Lark in the Morning has you should do some shopping first....I bought a concertina for a couple hundred and found the same one there about 25% higher and in all honesty it wasn't that good of one.

Here in Seattle we have a wonderful concertina player in our "Last Sunday Shanty Sings" her name is Chris Roe and next I see the lass I will see what suggestions she might have for ye....

dR

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

Every now and then you can find them on eBay. A good, inexpensive one is a Hohner. There's also a web site and forum devoted to the instruments, concertina.com, I believe is the link. There are downloadable docs for music and such. I've also purchased a beginner's music book which has a lot of instruction as well.

The instrument is fun to play! The one that Nell passed on to me had a reed issue and since then another reed has bit the dust. According to the research I've done, it's suggested NOT to take it apart unless one knows what one is doing. The instrument I got from Nell was a basic 10-key in the key of D and C. The more popular one appears to be the 20-key. Also, check YouTube for instructional videos.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

I ordered a Hohner concertina on-line... But it doesn't help that I no longer have the page I bookmarked.....

But here are some web pages that I did bookmark on Concertinas

Concertina Net.

http://www.concertina.net/

A Brief History of the Anglo Concertina (They have some .PDFs of old concertina manuals)

http://www.concertina.com/worrall/anglo-in-united-states/

It is fun to play, I started learning by using a book on the harmonica....right now I'm trying to memorize the notes instead of the shorthand of d3 or p4 (draw or push) so I will be able to actully "read" music..... :blink:

concertinas - i love 'em. No offense to others, but the Honer is not much better then the ones from China. BUT, try a cheap one before you decide to spend the bucks for a decent one.

On the east coast, its THe Button Box - specializes in concertinas, decent student to professional grade.

My Stagi ( considered a good student model) was like $600 - 24 button in G/D - most popular for playing fiddle tunes on.

If your going to be backing singers, try a C/F

Reeds go bad eventually and need to be replaced by a professional.

'tinas are so easy to play, once you master SCALES on them. and since there is only one scale on each button row, its pretty simple.

If your on the East coast, The BB sponsors a Squeeze-In - a tremendous concertina jam session with hundereds of players.

Good Luck!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

concertinas - i love 'em. No offense to others, but the Honer is not much better then the ones from China. BUT, try a cheap one before you decide to spend the bucks for a decent one...

My Stagi ( considered a good student model) was like $600 -

I live up in the mountains, so I couldn't go to a music shop and check them out before I bought mine on-line. I bought mine (Hohner) for about $120. a few years ago.... before that I bought a cheap East German on offa E-bay(for about $40)... it worked, but the buttons kept falling off and some of the reeds were messed up.... I'm not good enough yet to justify spending $600 for a better quality one... .....But like almost everything, you get what you pay for....

Someone told me about a large concertina festival some place in California..... but I'd have to search for a web page about it......

I got mine from Sam Ash online. Truthfully not the best place to get a concertina but it was cheap enough and it plays decent.

I suggest (like others before me) to just buy a cheap on first. Start with and anglo so you only need to deal with 20 buttons instead of 60 (or is it 30 on some models?) like the english concertina.

You'll get a much better sound with an expensive one, but you should play around with a cheapo for maybe a year or so until you know the instrument is right for you.

Edited by Thequartermaster

Its great to read about new 'tina players ( and old ones too). Can I suggest something? We should all learn to play a signature tune on the concertina, so when we meet at faire, festival or encampment, we can treat the listeners to the sound of our mighty reeds being played in unison!

Might I suggest 'St. Annes Reel' in the Key of D. Its a sprightly reel, and the playing techniques can be as advanced or simple as one might wish. The sheet music ( bleecch!) is available on line since its an old old traditional tune and tab is out there too. And all sorts of midi files, so us play by ear types can get it too.

What say ye fellow squeezeboxers? Or has anyone another tune to suggest?

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I bought myself a concertina (how could I) without having the smallest clue how to play that thing ;)

Could someone please point me out how I find a (quick) source to learn "Drunken Sailor"? Youtube was no help yet, because the very few who are playing "Drunken Sailor" there don't really show which buttons they push. I somehow have managed to "play" the first six tunes, but after that it becomes complicated.

Cocertina.JPG

Signature%20640px.jpg