Steam Punk Pics

Ransom

I love the details on the hat- the lace and dragonfly. And I really like those pants! Are those the cargos you mentioned earlier?

Thank you, Brig, for the compliments. Not too bad for an old broad! :rolleyes:

And yes, those are the cargoes that I mentioned before. Bought at Walmart for $13.00 in the men's department. I had to try on about four pairs to get the size small enough. They have all kinds of pockets on the legs, which I was thinking would be kewl for maps/tools. And they have zippers at the ankles, which you can't see, as I tucked them into the boots.

As for the lace on the hat, I want to find some that hangs longer. That was just a piece I happened to have on hand. I'd like it to hang a bit past the shoulders, then I would distress the ends, so they looked frayed. I want this garb to looked VERY lived in. LOL

BTW, I'm having WAY too much fun with this stuff! :rolleyes:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thrift stores and places like Walmart work really well. I am kinda lucky, in that the British Women's Land Army coat, and the boots, I bought from Banana Republic way back in the 80s, when they did sell actual military surplus. The coat was only $12.00 and still has the 1944 WLA label in it. In the first pics that I posted on this thread, that long red wool coat, I bought at a used/vintage clothing store about ten years ago.

The goggles were some that were given to Chain Shot way before we met (19 yrs ago). Even the hat, bought through a catalog, wasn't for the airship pirate costume. I saw pictures of Red-Handed Jill and Poison Quill, fellow members of Tales of the Seven Seas, wearing ones, and liked it. I wear it out and about all the time, not just as part of a costume.

So, Silkie, Red Jessi, start digging through your old stuff! Never know what you might find that would work. Or, head to the men's department at Wally World! LOL

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Okay, I decided to add this pic, just because I like it. It looks like I'm turning to confront someone...the "You really don't want to mess with me" pose. LOL

Either that, or I'm about to customize the lawn furniture.... :huh:

100_3071.jpg

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

My wacky personal politics have kept me out of Wal*Mart (AKA, THE EMPIRE) for 7 years, and I can't break that record now! But, I might have some reusable costumes of the past that might work. Plus (ironically enough) my professional wardrobe consists of more than a few fitted vests and blouses with gathered sleeves and such. I posted a pic around here somewhere, but I forget where...

That looks awesome pyrateleather!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my standard work attire is tending towards the punkish, and I found the pic I referenced. You can't really tell, but that is a tweed fitted vest with (imitation, I'm sure) crocodile styled leather trim at the pockets and leather buttons. I could see using that and the blouse rather easily. And yet, both were purchased within the last 3-4 months at Bebe!

steamjes.jpg

Cute vest, Jessi! It seems like the mini-vest is in just about every store right now. I found the one I'm using for my steampunk dance costume at Dillards. Just added some trim around the collar, a chain and pendant from Michael's.

SP4.jpg

The bullet belt is one that Brig found on e-bay, and I just modded and attached a skirt/belt I had from a POTC-themed fundraiser. The lace part hangs down the back in a U-shape.

SP3.jpg

Sp2.jpg

The hair falls are a mix of yarn, ribbon, and strips of leather.

SP1.jpg

Just have to borrow a pair of goggles from Jack, finish my pants, buy the lace mitts, and should be good to go!

MaeBar-1.png

The world stands out on either side

No wider than the heart is wide.

~E. Millay

Very nice, Pyrateleather! You're pretty much there! Love the bowler. :lol:

Ya know, I also love those hair extender things, but on me.....I just don't see it working. Must be one of those age things? LOL Looks cute on the younger girls, but not on us old salts. Still......?..........nahhhh. I'll stick with me tophat.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I have some dread falls that I made yeaaars ago, that are MASSIVE and I love them. They are kanekalon backcombed, twisted and steamed into dreads in multiple thicknesses and colors as well as Colinette .5 wool yarn in Zebra that I hand dyed a dusty rose.

bend.jpg

Edited by RedJessi

Those are niiiiice, Jessi. Maybe one day I'll feel adventurous enough to try some that intricate.

Here's the airship pyrate rig that I'm putting together for FlaRF Saturday. I don't really have time to make anything new, so I borrowed a few of the pieces from various outfits. Sorry about the picture quality, my camera battery is all deaded so I had to make do with the laptop.

scums.jpg

scums2.jpg

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

You look awesome Brig! I can't wait to see it all in person!

(And dread falls with kanekalon aren't hard, they just take lots of time. I also have tons that I braid directly into my hair, that I can then wear loose/down/etc)

Edited by RedJessi