Alexander Selkirk's gun

Captain Jim

While looking for a more detailed picture of Selkirk's sea chest (posted in Twill, Campaign Furniture) I came across this from the NYT, December 27, 1910: CRUSOE MAY HAVE OWNED THIS GUN; English Tourist Here Tells of Buying an Old Flint-Lock for Twenty Shillings.

The article describes the purchase of the gun and it's authentication by the British Museum. It also states the the man, Randolph Berens, was going to Florida for the winter.

I have found no other references to the gun other than this.

So where is the gun now?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing newer, but this older piece on the gunne at auction;

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9649D94649ED7CF

I think we need to see if there are any records existing of the ships cargo or any items that may have been purchased for the outfitting of the privateering cruise they were going on. Maybe we should bring it up in Twill and Foxe will chime in. At least we can get an idea of what was available from the ship during that period.

Bo

east02.jpg

Purported to be Selkirk's powder horn, now in the St. Andrew's Museum in Kinburn House in Kinburn Park, East Fife.

Still no gun, although I have read a passing reference to it in a blurb for an upcomming book about the life of Selkirk.

The Man Who Was Robinson Crusoe. Look down near the bottom for "Key Features."

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

LOOK AT THIS!

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php...0-000-120-729-C

I cannot get any further on this site but LOOK AT THE PHOTO!!!! Is that not a modern photo of someone holding a long doglock fowler? Is it really at the museum in his birthplace at Lower Largo? I hope this is true!!!

...and here it says they have the gunne in Largo as well:

http://travellinghistorian.com/crusoe.html

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I had found those references too. I was hoping to find descriptions of the gun, but no luck thus far. Now I had thought that these items were in Edinburgh, but on closer reading the items belong to the National Museums (note the plural) of Scotland. Therefore the Alexander Selkirk Museum (all one room of it) may be part of the National System. Now why would the NMoS take high quality pictures of the cup and the chest but not the gun if all three are in the same place? Does this gun match the description given in the 1910 NYT news article? What path did the gun take returning to this place and what role did Richard Wilson play in it? Questions, questions.

Edit:

OK, confirmed that the chest and cup are in Fife, Lower Largo, at the Alexander Selkirk Museum, location (museum) number: NO 415 025. Do they in fact have the gun?

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg