Alafia River Rendezvous | Homeland, FL

willie wobble

Alafia river rendezvous Jan14-24 with public days jan 23-24 near Lakeland ,fla www.floridafrontiersmen.org/alafia

the largest pre-1840 rendezvous in the southeast with over 1000 tents and more than 100 vendors or sutlers It is geared more to the mountainman but covers many eras , all kinds of camp gear and clothing can be picked up here and all the encampments with different setups, if your in fla its not to be missed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about an hour away so I may have to make this again. Also I think I might like to do trapper/frontier in the future, being a hunter and biologist and all. Sort of a "Lewis and Clark" frontier naturalist sort of thing. It'd give me a good excuse to order a L&C parts set from TRS, a gun that slightly predates the Harper's Ferry gun. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Edit:

We would be there on the Saturday.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 4 weeks later...
If I can make it down, I won't be down until Sunday. Have to work Saturday.

Animal

I don't think they're still up on Sunday for the public. Looks like Friday or Saturday only. I will be down on Friday, as someone scheduled my niece's birthday party on Saturday.

3ff66f1f.jpg

Diosa and I will be there on Saturday and in a shopping mood. So we'll hopefully see you Saturday attendees on, well, Saturday. Sorry we'll be missing you Capt. Jim. Diosa was just looking fondly at the photos of you two entangled together the other day. :)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Well now it seems that I might be there on Saturday after all...She Who Must Be Obeyed is toying with the idea of moving the aforementioned niece's party to Sunday. Won't know for sure until later, so watch this thread.

Anyone going in garb?

In case you're wondering about why the big deal over a niece's party, this is one of the kids I (and the State) took from an actual niece, so I guess she's a grand-niece. Still, we've had her since she was 9 months old and she will be turning three. More like a daughter now, sooo...gotta be there.

Sorry you can't come Animal. Next time.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

We'll be there in garb. Willie Wobble demanded we be. :rolleyes:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Jim and Hurricane - Are yah going in 19th century outfits, or are yah doing a pirate raid? (serious question, just curious)

I was just thinking civilian Colonial. Blend in a bit. Not sure of their stand on full-rigged Pyrates carryin' weapons and all.

Any thoughts on that Hurricane? Diosa? Willie? Anybody?

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

I'll be typical period guy - breeches, tucked shirt, tricorn, belt and buckled shoes. Perhaps a frock it it be cold that day. Nothing fancy, though. If Diosa's bodiced gown is done, she'll be wearing that. Otherwise, she has mantua-style rig she'll be wearing.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Chrispy, my calendar says January 24 is Saturday ,but if your's says its the 23 i guess I'm wrong and yes it's that Saturday

Saturday is the 24th.

Update on me. Looks (at this time) like I will be there on the 23rd, Friday. *Le Sigh.*

I'll most likely bring weapons and check regs at the gate.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

Well that was alot of fun, despite only being there a few hours today. My friend Robin enjoyed heading there too. Got to meet up with Willie Wobble, Doug, Cpt Jeff and Melissa, as well as the proprietor of the Pirate Haus in St Augustine. Saw lots, and I mean LOTS of tents in a variety of styles. Willie kept telling me I needed to peek my head into some of them to get a feel for how they put them together, especially if they used a ridge pole. I only took a few pics, and will have them up in a day or two with a link.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Wow! How did we miss you? Damn!

I must say, if anyone ever wants a terrific experience, head to this event. We geared up and played all day. Met lots of great people and the vendors -- geez, must have been a 100 or more. There was period leather, gator skins, weapons, cookware, accoutrements, clothing. I ordered a new 1600s vest from one vendor. Got a portable table stand from another for our encampment, Diosa got a loom so she can, well, loom. They also have a shooting competition which I missed and some 1200 encampments. Diosa wants to camp there next year so we may just pony up and put a pirate camp in there with the lot of them.

Oh, and I forgot all the trade blankets with dirt cheap stuff on them. A pair of almost new Fugawee women's shoes for $30. Pots and pans, gourd jugs, knives, rifles for $250 to $300 that are almost new (these guys really take good care of their stuff), and just about anything else you can think of for your encampments. This was their 37th year. Best part... they own a huge amount of acreage so they can pretty much do as they please there. And yes, you can bring your weapons in.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I wish I'd run into you and Diosa...I think there were a few folks we missed during the afternoon. I regret not getting there earlier in the day. There was so much to look at, and I'm sure I could have picked up a few more things for my setup.

As I noted, I only took a few pictures. I wish I had taken more, but we spent a lot of time walking, talking and bartering. I'd like to head there again next year and dress proper for the occasion.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/tri...ost/Alafia2009/

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

DANG don't let Chris see this... We both wanted to go but a good friend of mine was getting married and had asked me to sing at her wedding...ARGH! we wanted to go so bad. The wedding was cool it was a Native American wedding... Lakota tribe. But we really wanted to come to this event! ARRRGH!!!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Great photos. I see you got one of the cannon I desperately wanted... :)

I can't wait for next year's event. I definitely want to enter the shooting event.

-- Hurricane

I wish I'd run into you and Diosa...I think there were a few folks we missed during the afternoon. I regret not getting there earlier in the day. There was so much to look at, and I'm sure I could have picked up a few more things for my setup.

As I noted, I only took a few pictures. I wish I had taken more, but we spent a lot of time walking, talking and bartering. I'd like to head there again next year and dress proper for the occasion.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I can't wait for next year's event. I definitely want to enter the shooting event.

-- Hurricane

And for a mere $4500 the cannon could be yours. LOL!

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• 5 months later...

-- Hurricane

And for a mere $4500 the cannon could be yours. LOL!

Hey all!

I just found this forum! I plan on being there for the 2010 event. It will be my first time at the Alafia. We just got back from Friendship. Familiar with it?

We live about 45min from Ft. McCoy, so it will be a much shorter trip than it was to Indy!! Hope to meet you there! Cheers!

English does not borrow from other languages. English follows other languages into dark alleys, raps them over the head with a cudgel, then goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary and spare grammar.