PiP 09 Camp

Jack Roberts

So I'm starting this thread in order to bring some... order... :rolleyes: to the camping situation for next year.

With our numbers growing greater every year it will be necessary have some organization to maximize our camping potential.

I will start with an over head photo of the grounds. I've mapped out a crude area where the paths are (in GREEN)

and camping (shaded RED). Please let me know if I'm missing any paths and extra camp space.

Thanks. With that I will start to map out where stuff should go. Perhaps along with your listing in the ROLL CALL 09 you could list your

accomodations along with your tent(s) Sizes. William can you do that? Thanks to all.

pip9campv1.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea but it may be way too soon for this.... The main problem being we still don't know what next year is going to look like based on the Fort and its Re-construction. ... There's a good chance things may change considerable - we all may be outside the fort next year including the vendors.... Harry is the one who will end up dictating who goes where. We just need to be conscious once Harry has assigned our spots that we consider traffic flow of the patrons in setting up our camps.

I still think the map is a GREAT idea - Harry will be able to help you with that. He may keep things just like they were I'm not sure. either way before we start filling things in we should check with him.

Also the paths I'm referring to are foot paths in the woods, I'm not so sure those green lines reflect them? they are real winding.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

Ah! I see. I'll wait then for Harry. Didn't realize the fort could be indisposed at that time.

There is a 5 year construction plan we're living under...we almost lost half the field this past year, but Harry was able to have the fence moved back. A lot will depend on the new park manager.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

See below. For some reason it posted twice.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I think we're also way ahead of the curve here on this. The Pyrates of the Coast crewe is just beginning to figure out their tenting for the encampment, plus there are the inevitable people who bail out between now and say, next November. With the economy as it is, the last minute changes to attendance may be even more difficult to predict. Even our own crewe lost three at the last moment.

I think it's a good idea, but once Harry has a better gauge on construction and we all have a better gauge of who is attending from what group, then we can work out the particulars. There's still lots of time to work all this out.

Plus, since Harry gets all the attendance forms in by Nov. 1, that's really when the plotting could begin. If he doesn't already, I would suggest he include a tent size part on the form to help in the planning. And to prevent land disputes, it would probably be in the interest of Harry and the Bone Islands to figure all this out, since they can actually mark areas off and plan for the event far better than we can from a distance. After all, it's their show.

Also, when camps are set out, those doing living history may want to locate along the paths so those who don't want to are away from the traffic patterns. May help guide the visitors to those who want to do education and edutainment beachside. We arranged it that way when we were first on the beach the year the festival moved to the fort.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

One more thing... it's important for everyone to know their tent sizes... I know Harry was having a hell of a time in the vendor area this year with people who said they had just one 10x10 and ended up with a 10x20 but forgot to mention that... there was a lot of squeezing and pushing to get all the vendors in place.....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Also, when camps are set out, those doing living history may want to locate along the paths so those who don't want to are away from the traffic patterns. May help guide the visitors to those who want to do education and edutainment beachside. We arranged it that way when we were first on the beach the year the festival moved to the fort.

-- Hurricane

I'll make sure we discuss this at the post event meeting as something to consider for next year. We should not only add tent size to the form but whether they are doing living history or not and how many tents are allocated to the actual living history and how many can be deeper in the camp. Positioning the living history around the walking trails and then the rest of that crews camp behind that will make for privacy and access accordingly.

Thanks Hurricane will discuss all this with the crew.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Sounds like a good idea. This is why I started this thread. At least we can start talking about it.

Didn't mean to upset anyone. :lol: Just wanted to start getting ready. Kinda excited about it all. :lol:

Considering I missed this year and I like the idea of organizing the camp around the Living History and those wishing

to just camp. I come from an event production background. So getting stuff organized sooner is better.

We'll just wait and see what happens with the fort.

I don't think anyone's upset - you can never plan too early, I so agree. We're already well underway ourselves. And when November comes, we suddenly remember everything we didn't do, like labeling wine for the Walk the Plank Championships. I think there's some really good stuff being discussed and glad you're as excited as we all seem to be to the 10th anniversary soiree. :)

PS: I'm cursed with the event planning and production background too. :lol:

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Man, some of you have been reading my mind! I've been re-working the registration form today. One of the new additions is getting the size of the participant's tents. Plus, I've added the name of the crewe you'll be with.

We (the park staff) had an after-action report meeting on the event. Much of the feedback from staff was positive. But, there were a number of issues presented that I'm not happy about. Among them the park gate being left open on a continual basis after hours. Staff witnessed folks simply unlocking the gate, getting in their cars and driving off without bothering to lock up.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Man, some of you have been reading my mind! I've been re-working the registration form today. One of the new additions is getting the size of the participant's tents. Plus, I've added the name of the crewe you'll be with.

Sorry to hear about the other than favorable report Harry, we'll have to find some solution or way of policing this.

Regarding adding things to the registration form, the talk has been about lining up living history presenters along the walking path so people would be more apt to encounter them, would it help you to know who is doing a demonstration and who isn't for assigning spots, or do you just give a crew a general area and leave it up to them to set up accordingly.

Would it help to take into account how much path area a crew will need so they can expose themselves to the public?

Say x number of tents at X size are specific to living history X number of tents at X size are living space?

(OK I know some this group so for your sake I'll say it again)

EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO THE PUBLIC --- ;p

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

We (the park staff) had an after-action report meeting on the event. Much of the feedback from staff was positive. But, there were a number of issues presented that I'm not happy about. Among them the park gate being left open on a continual basis after hours. Staff witnessed folks simply unlocking the gate, getting in their cars and driving off without bothering to lock up.

I caught one of the vendors leaving the gate open one evening.. just opened it and took off. I happened around the corner and locked it..... I know there was another time I was leaving and found it already open.... Maybe we can set up a periodic march out to check.

Many of us were walking back and forth to the encampment and pub regularly, it's not too long of a walk to police it while we are already there.

Frankly, I know if the park service gets unhappy, we have no place to camp...so let's keep em happy!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

We really liked the location we had this year, it fit our tent snuggly between the trees. Poviding that next year we will have shower enclosures inside canvas walls so that the great unwashed can be a wee bit more socially acceptable to the general public not too far from where the privies were this year(hopefully) I had them with us this year but no place to set them up with access to water;some of those details are trying to be worked out for next year :lol:

problem with the gate is regrettable, unfortunately it is due to some folks laziness or the influence of alcohol and some folks were letting the gate open for folks who they met and told them they wanted to join the encampment (security issue when there are folks in the park that nobody knows; when expensive items are left about after hours)

Edited by callenish gunner

Sounds like a "volunteer" for gatewatch is in order. We do that at Fort Osage when we camp there due to the museum and artifacts and other considerations as well. Maybe each crew could provide someone to stand the gate and control entry on rotating schedules? Wish I could be there, I'd be glad to do it. I have no problem dealing with folks, drunk or sober. I did pier watch in the Navy, trust me, I've seen it all. (A Brinkman six-cell flashlight is a formidable weapon on such occaisions. :lol: )

Bo

Harry, can you give us a hint about what the other issues are so that they can be addressed as well?

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Rotating watches could be a good solution, though it might be hard to get people to volunteer to stand the 4:00am watch. We all have passes for after hours, might it be worth it to police it ourselves with watches until say 1:00am and hire a security guard to man the gate for the wee morning hours. I know this group parties late but we have to sleep sometime. Honestly no one but US should be in the park that late anyway. No pass, no entry.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

As a vendor i can say when i found it unlocked, i relocked it. having been at CW days the last 4 years i know the rules!

No it was a vendor I didn't know, but saw in passing one of the other days..... One that was not a normal part of the reenactor crowd... :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I didn't go in and outta the Fort much this year... but one night. when I got there....the gate was unlocked....not open... just unlocked.

But I think the problem is that you have to twist and twirl the numbers so the lock stays... locked.... You can't just push it shut... you have to rearrange the combination.....or it doesn't lock....

I don't think it was evil intent.... just someone didn't pay enough attention to check if it was re-locked....

But now that we know it is a problem... we can make sure it doesn't happen again next year.....

It's most appreciated that there are many who will volunteer for gate duty. Having pulled guard in real life as well as at CW events, I know it's not fun. But, if we don't come together to police this, there won't be a facility for us to do what we do.

Other issues revolved around the beach bathrooms. Park staff indicated the facilities were filthy when they'd come to clean them in the morning. If we're going to allow all to utiliize the facilities, then we will require volunteers to help with the cleaning. Another issue revolved around someone saying they had my permission to use our shop facilities. An absolute lie. That person will not be invited back. Those were the most important items to come out of that meeting. By and large, park staff appreciated the assistance it received from the good majority of you. The Bone Island Buccaneers met this evening to work out these issues and from what I've read, y'all are going a long way to help correct these things. I really appreciate your help!!

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

Thank You Harry.

Would it be possible to split the watches amongst the crews and vendors. For example, one night the Mercury has watch from 6-12 (or whenever the determined time shall be), 3 or 4 people from that crew could possibly stand 2 hours at a time. Next night, the vendors do the same, and so on. Depending on how many days we are allowed to camp and how many crews are represented. At the rate we are growing, it very well could be 2 crews split the duty each night. The only problem day would be Sunday. Not sure how many people would want to miss a moment of the pig roast. But, a couple of hours for one day is a small price to pay considering the privilege we are given at being allowed to camp in the park.

Edited by Haunting Lily

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/