Living History Ideas '09

Patrick Hand

Within the the park, large banner type signage would draw folks to the different areas. The multiple sign posts got a bit confusing...i will be bringing down my full gunvise and tools set and some shot casting equipment but I'd like especially if i can find a source of antimony rather than lead for shot(would hate to give the little darlin's lead poisoning from just handling their souvenirs!!!) Some of their parents I'd like to shoot :rolleyes: I'm also looking for a whetstone wheel to sharpen knives and swords or dull them as needs be. I think I have found the stone but will have to build a new frame ....we're also hoping to have a foot wheel for salty to make pottery on site We're gonna need a bigger trailer!!! :huh::lol::huh:

with all our weapons(usually enough for a small ship's crew) we try to always have someone in the encampment so anyone needing a "safe-house" for valuables can contact us to stow those items

Edited by callenish gunner

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a good idea. We always have at least one crewe member in camp watching our stuff. But those who don't may want to get a lock box of sorts to keep their valuables and weapons from being tampered with.

Perhaps D'ogge can get a floor safe to bury in the sand to keep Diosa away from the Absinthe.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I think that's a good idea. We always have at least one crewe member in camp watching our stuff. But those who don't may want to get a lock box of sorts to keep their valuables and weapons from being tampered with.

Perhaps D'ogge can get a floor safe to bury in the sand to keep Diosa away from the Absinthe.

-- Hurricane

Damn it man... Don't give him any ideas!!! Oh wait. His Capt likes the Green Fairy too and I am in Sterling's good graces, for now(if I recall, that is how I ended up with the bottle one night) It's all good. :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Just in case anyone didn't know. There were specific areas designated for each crew. Anyone could place their tent/sleeping arrangements anywhere they wanted to in those specific areas.

For example, The Archangel crew had between this tree and that grill stopping at the path but could continue on if space was needed. The Mercury was placed in between the Archangel and BIB's so they could keep the feuding camps somewhat civil to each other. The only exception in regards to placement, was the Silkies Hide. That was determined by the location of the large fire.

With the increasing number of crews that will be camping this year, it's bound to change again. I'm sure we will have a general idea of location before hand but specifics will most likely wait until we get there.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I think we could rotate a wathc of sorts when the battles and stuff are going on. That way no one person or persons were always stuck in the camp all the time and could participate. The only exception would be for scheduled events that someone is required to be at. That eway everyone gets to participate.

I could cover myself in blood and act like a raving maniac...............uhhh wait a sec. I did that and get meself in some hot water :lol:

Never mind. Move along. Nothing to see here. (Animal crawls back into his bramble bush to avoid the flogging)

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

If I had an ideal we would add soldiers on horseback to chase the raiders away and lead them to the edge of the path. We cold liberate those poor horses at the Navy yard, he says slyly.

-- Hurricane

Soldiers on Horses?!? But I don't have a horse... :D Now if you can find someone to loan me one :blink: ... I would happily change my portrayal from infantry to dragoon... :D

Coming from an ex-dragoon, this would be too damn tempting....

hmmmm........Sterling coming over from the Dark Side??????? :D:D

Animal

Regarding the battles being moved. The times for these have been historically set due to afternoon sails of the Wolf. There's nothing in the plan that says WE as a group plan our own land battle between Pyrates and English. Spike and I will take care of scheduling once we get as much input as possible.

Harry, I remember the first time I went to PIP (we had everything on the beach), when the wolf was scheduled to arrive, someone had a telescope and made a call to arms. We all rushed to the beach and took up arms. The visitors were lined up behind us and I heard the egging us on to sink the ship. The visitors really got into it.I think that could work with the sunset sail in the evening, both the fort and the beach crews firing on her. Just a thought.

Animal

No matter where we are we always have someone doing a watch. I think it's pretty historically based. Even on a remote spot of land during a careening there were indians who would raid the camps if they were left unguarded.

Thanks for being sick, I handled much of the watch this year so the crewe could play more. Just a smart way to handle security when there are others about.

-- Hurricane

I think we could rotate a wathc of sorts when the battles and stuff are going on. That way no one person or persons were always stuck in the camp all the time and could participate. The only exception would be for scheduled events that someone is required to be at. That eway everyone gets to participate.

I could cover myself in blood and act like a raving maniac...............uhhh wait a sec. I did that and get meself in some hot water :lol:

Never mind. Move along. Nothing to see here. (Animal crawls back into his bramble bush to avoid the flogging)

Animal

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

• 1 month later...
We would be camping in the same area, but with maybe some signs(<1720 Careening Camp> <1669 Buccaneer Camp>or something like that) to let the public know what the camps are...(so we don't confuse them) After hours we'd carouse with everyone, just like the different camps do now...

I am a professional Signmaker in the "mundane world" and I would be very willing to help with signs for this sort of a project... especially with this much lead time.

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."

Interesting. A couple of thoughts. First if the Chamber does not support anything other than that related to it's members and the cost is $301 then pay the money. Cheap advertising. An optional approach might be to hook up with the Pirates Sole and the Rum Barrel and have them sponsor the event, I'll bet they are Chamber members and PiP ties in with their business plan.

I plan on making port in Keys April - May and being there for a while, maybe a couple of years, maybe more, depending on time and tide and if a hurricane don't get me, so if I can provide any on the ground support or assistance please let me know.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

Joe... I believe we have everyone on board in Key West that can and is willing to be (Rum Barrell and Pirate Soul are already on board btw). ....you'd need to talk to Captain Spike or Harry Smid who have lived in Key West collectively over 40 years to get the real big picture of the event and its history.

The company I work for is a member of the Chamber and all I can say is...my momma taught me not to gossip and if I can't say anything nice... well you know the rest. Of course I don't always listen to my mother. shame shame.

I find that most of the time all that any Chamber of Commerce these days serves to do is to keep the piece between this company and that, and collect their 20% anywhere they can. I have worked with several festivals, events, organizations and companies that were all active members of the Chamber of Commerce, in Key West and elsewhere. They are all the same, red tape machines.

There is always plenty of tape to be untangled and managed...so HELP is always welcomed, thanks so much for offering. Please contact Harry Smid or Captain Spike...a willing hand is ALWAYS appreciated!!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

That's not always so. I've been a member of various chambers in tourist areas for 15 years. I've served on committees and on the board and I can safely say that you only get as much out of them as you put into them. Being a member gets you in the directory and your event on the calendar, nothing else.

Where you get the support (and sponsorships, in some cases) is by volunteering on the committees, serving on the board, attending meetings and networking. While the organization is politically bent and does have red tape, the friendships and business relationships you cut directly with other chamber members circumvent that.

Our own group got many gigs and my business many jobs through this type of interaction. We even did a chamber funded tourism video that we jointly got funding for, both from chamber members and the city's hotel/motel tax cache. It's the old adage, "give and you'll get back many times over." I don't know of any chamber that will go out of its way to help an organization who just sends in a basic membership fee and expects the world from the organization. That's not what they do and it's not how they work.

That said, that means a lot of time volunteering and working directly on chamber projects, attending meetings, listening to often dull speakers, being a dull speaker yourself, eating horrible lunches and listening to endless politics. This is, unfortunately, part of the game.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Where you get the support (and sponsorships, in some cases) is by volunteering on the committees, serving on the board, attending meetings and networking. While the organization is politically bent and does have red tape, the friendships and business relationships you cut directly with other chamber members circumvent that.

Our own group got many gigs and my business many jobs through this type of interaction. We even did a chamber funded tourism video that we jointly got funding for, both from chamber members and the city's hotel/motel tax cache. It's the old adage, "give and you'll get back many times over." I don't know of any chamber that will go out of its way to help an organization who just sends in a basic membership fee and expects the world from the organization. That's not what they do and it's not how they work.

That said, that means a lot of time volunteering and working directly on chamber projects, attending meetings, listening to often dull speakers, being a dull speaker yourself, eating horrible lunches and listening to endless politics. This is, unfortunately, part of the game.

Yeah, I second that. In fact, I would say the involvement and relationships vastly outweighs any benefit you're going to get just by being a member. It's the same with any organization really. Couple WIIFM with You Scratch My Back, I'll Scratch Yours. (It's human nature.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oh I'd like to agree ...You get what you give but we ALL know that in't always the case.......I'm sure I'm not the only one whose had the experience of working an event "scrathcing backs" , just to watch numerous people drop out each year... only to later find out WHY they dropped out. I've been involved with many of these business organizations over the years, and I've seen all kinds. I've also, more than once, seen volunteers work hundreds of hours, scratching backs and I've seen certain organizers take more and moreand give less and less to those putting in all the work until people are angry and bitter and the event no longer exists.

There's a phenominon in some towns that many "loving" (sarcasm) refer to as the Bubba system... until you've experienced it first hand.. well... theres no red tape quite like it.

I'm not knocking them ALL... believe me I agree thats how is SHOULD be.. and in many instances its true you do you get out what you put into a relathionship... still anyone whose been in a relationship has to know there are no guarantees no matter HOW MUCH you put IN. There will always be people who are only concerned with what they can get out...and are not interested in putting much in... thats also the "nature" of some humans, sad to say.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

I guess this is more going Huh. B) ... than really venting.... just something I've wondered about...

When I was a kid, my Grandparents lived in Reno, we would go visit them during the Rodeo Round up.... The whole city would get out their pointy toed cowboy boots, Cowboy hats, and play cowboy for the week... and I guess Cowboys need refrigerators and mattresses also, because all of the local merchants would jump on the band wagon, and tie their advertising in with the rodeo....

Key West has Fantasy Fest, and there is nothing wrong with naked Painted women....(welll... it's not exactly family friendly.....) But Pyrate Week should be a local Businessman's advertising fantasy come true....

Get alla th' tourist into a shopping frenzy.... "Wow... 10% off Key West Pyrate tee-shirts....." "Oh look... a Pyrate Punch Drink Special......

"Aargh, Visit Key West for Pyrate Week...."

The advertising potential is there, I can't figure out why the local merchants don't use it......

Oh well............... :unsure:

The 11th commandment got broke-off when Moses threw it at the heathen party goin on when he got back from carving it and "burning some bush." It said "Thou Shalt Not Committee" :unsure:

Sorry, old joke...couldn't resist.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Ok to get back on topic...since we're discussing committee's ... we could do a demonstration about how Pirates ruled by "committee" and how that often turned out...LOL.....I've had many daydreams in the middle of a meeting about handling things the pirate way. sometimes the dream of cutting through the red tape overtakes me. mmwwahaha:D

Anyway....

It would be interesting to show a group of pirates divvying up shares from a prize- a table full of loot and a bunch of scalawags lined up to get paid is an attention getter.. and then they could discuss the next action and decide on it. We do big battles and skirmishes ...things like the conquistadors, but I think we could get a decent audience for a little theatrical bit like the pay out. And I'm sure an audience would be interested to see how pay was determined etc. etc.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

PIRATES BY COMMITTEE --- LOL

Nell: Captain sir, I think Jamaica would be a much better choice. (turns to Patrick) :P

Chrispy: I would rather go to New Providence...there's a girl there who owes me.... ummm....some GOLD yeah GOLD

Nell to the Quartermaster: and I was wounded in the last battle...where's my share for my injury??

Quartermaster: What injury?

Nell: ...look (shows him a cut on her hand) ....a string broke while playing that hauling song when we were coming about in the last battle.

(Patrick and Chrispy roll their eyes :rolleyes: )

Chrispy: Hey thats not a real battle wound?

Nell: Its a wound and it happened in battle.

Captain: Well since there's a disagreement....we will need to form a sub committee to decide what thats worth.

Quartermaster: Fine ...but captain we are underway, we need to decide our destination and chart a bearing afore we run aground.

Nell: (bats her eyes at the captain ) ouch... it really hurts...

(Patrick and Chrispy roll their eyes :rolleyes: .... again)

Captain: ok... now who wants to chair the sub committee....

CCCCCRRRUUUUUNCH!!!

Captain: Shivering Timbers we've run aground. Buggers...now we need to form a committee to decide whose fault that was!

(illustration of entire crew at the ships rails looking over the side staring at the rocks...willing the ship to move.)

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

PIRATES BY COMMITTEE --- LOL

Nell: Captain sir, I think Jamaica would be a much better choice. (turns to Patrick) :lol:

Chrispy: I would rather go to New Providence...there's a girl there who owes me.... ummm....some GOLD yeah GOLD

Nell to the Quartermaster: and I was wounded in the last battle...where's my share for my injury??

Quartermaster: What injury?

Nell: ...look (shows him a cut on her hand) ....a string broke while playing that hauling song when we were coming about in the last battle.

(Patrick and Chrispy roll their eyes :lol: )

Chrispy: Hey thats not a real battle wound?

Nell: Its a wound and it happened in battle.

Captain: Well since there's a disagreement....we will need to form a sub committee to decide what thats worth.

Quartermaster: Fine ...but captain we are underway, we need to decide our destination and chart a bearing afore we run aground.

Nell: (bats her eyes at the captain ) ouch... it really hurts...

(Patrick and Chrispy roll their eyes :lol: .... again)

Captain: ok... now who wants to chair the sub committee....

CCCCCRRRUUUUUNCH!!!

Captain: Shivering Timbers we've run aground. Buggers...now we need to form a committee to decide whose fault that was!

(illustration of entire crew at the ships rails looking over the side staring at the rocks...willing the ship to move.)

As someone who has watched WAAAYYYY too many committees, city councils, county commissions, legislatures, etc meet, can I tell you that was a perfectly excellent representation of why nothing is every accomplished! Damn funny stuff!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com