PA vrs. MD Border Wars

michaelsbagley

While this is NOT a pirate event, this is an event that pertains to the period, and I believe some of the participants planning to participate usually portray pirates and are just playing the role of "militia" for this event. But anyways, in Media PA on the weekend of April 4th and 5th, there will be a "what if" battle between the units of Maryland and the militia of Pennsylvania. I believe any military or militia (or civilian at arms) portrayal from 1680 to 1720 will be welcome.

Forum where the event is being discussed

I plan to attend in my Red Coat digs, as the Independant Company of Foote from Albany New York with anyone I can drag along with me. Anyone interested should log onto that other forum and talk directly to the organizers there, or if you would like to put together a Red Coat uniform between now and then, please speak up here and I will help as much as possible.

Hope to see some of you there.

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

We plan on being there. John has supported our efforts in the past with flying colors, so I'm certain the Brethren will be there to support him. The site is fantastic. We did a pirate event there about a year and a half ago (were going to do one there this year but couldn't agree on a date) and it was one of the most fun events I have ever done. I give it two huge thumbs up.

I don't recall if I ever put together a Pirate Brethren gallery page for that event or not... if I didn't, I should have... but you can read about the event and see a few pics here.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Hmmm... no, looks like I never did. Duh.

:P

We did three skirmishes as I recall. Every one was a really good fight. We were allowed to use the plantation house itself in the scenarios, which is a rarity. The only caveat was when we fired, we had to make certain we stepped outside to discharge our arms. Very cool. Very much like playing army as a kid. Of course, when you are playing army as a kid you don't have mock grenades... heh heh heh... I think one of the high points of the event was when the Rangers decided to hole up in the house. Owen had a whole bag of grenades. He made a run for the door, lit one, then dove for cover. Then there was a giant PUFF of smoke at the door, and the Rangers come stumbling our. We opened fire. Mayhem. What fun!

Matt tells me the F&I events there are similarly great. So with any luck the border war will be a success.

My Home on the Web

Aye John,

Them two images there like that... rather Benny Hill or Monty Pythonesque....

:P:P:P

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 3 weeks later...

This event has been canceled.

Apparently the site is being weenies about insurance and a number of other event are bailing on this site or considering bailing...

It's such a shame, I thought this event was a great concept and was very much looking forward to it.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, it seems like this event MIGHT be back on.

I'll repost any information provided by the organizer here once things are firmed up. The one catch for the ressurection of this event is that any hopeful participant MUST have $500,000 or more liability insurance to participate.

Personally I am very torn, I found a different non-pirate event the following weekend I was considering, but now that this one might be back on....

Michael_banner.jpg

I was under the impression it is a go, with the caveat that they aren't sure if the weekend will be changed. Of course, once it was canceled, the missus asked me if she could go to scout school that Saturday, and now that she has signed up and paid her dues, the best outlook for me is a one day Sunday event. Assuming the weekend doesn't change.

(and now, back to hacking away at the new pc... finally have 99% of the files moved... and the email rigged...)

My Home on the Web

I was under the impression it is a go, with the caveat that they aren't sure if the weekend will be changed. Of course, once it was canceled, the missus asked me if she could go to scout school that Saturday, and now that she has signed up and paid her dues, the best outlook for me is a one day Sunday event. Assuming the weekend doesn't change.

(and now, back to hacking away at the new pc... finally have 99% of the files moved... and the email rigged...)

I think you're read on it is probably more accurate BlackJohn... I also forgot to mention that there may (will?) be some information forthcoming regarding how to get on as a "volunteer" for insurance if one doesn't have their own.

It's a shame you might not be at this one BlackJohn, I was looking forward to finally meeting you. Here's hoping you can make out for at least Sunday... My wife was not too keen on the amount of travel involved in the other event, and she's pretty sure she can;t get the Friday off she would have needed to attend the other event, so I am saying at this point, this is a very likely event for me.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, this was a great event!

We still have to sort through the photos and post them up to Photobucket (like to come soon I hope).

The Colonial PA Plantation is an awesome site for re-enacting, for those of you who have never been, it is an old farmhouse and grounds that have been restored and is now an active working farm with many heirloom animals. The caretakers who work and take care of the farm and the various staff and voluteers of the Plantation are all incredibly friendly and helpful people.

The concept for this event is great as well, I didn't have the best idea about it until I had gotten there and talked to John Machate (the organizer of this one) and Art (who is a wealth of knowledge on top of beign a Class A swell guy). I'm looking forward to doing this one again next year, as much as I love Pirates and piracy re-enacting, this was a great event for branching out into the non-pirate elements of the GAoP.

Michael_banner.jpg