Buccaneer Camp at PiP 2009

Patrick Hand

Now this is a two part post.... (and don't worry, I just started drinkin'..... :o )

Part th' First.

Buccaneer Encampment - On the Beach

Patrick Hand

Animal*

Willie Wobble*

Capt'n Johnson

Doug

Mister Tignor*

Shay of the Keys

This is the list so far for the Buccaneer Camp, I'd kinda like to hear from everyone that is still planning on being a part of the Buccaneer camp, so we can start deciding what we want to do....

Less than three months until PiP, so it's tyme fer us to start getting excited and working on our gear and stuff....

Oh yeah... and figgure out our Camp's size.......th' "foot print" an' all.......

Part th' Second.

Well Burning Man is over, and other than a slight detour for Halloween, I'm going into full <Get ready for PiP mode.>

I took alla my (very) dusty Burning Man camping gear to storage, and got alla my Buccaneer stuff out today.

I might have a problem posting pictures of any new stuff.... my digital camera died, but getting a new one is kinda sorta in the Works....

I will be carrying...

A bedroll...a wool blanket in a linseed oiled ground cloth (I just gotta see if I can get another rough forged buckle.... the other one ended up on Mission's hat.....)Going to be sleeping on the ground this year.....

And a linseed oiled snapsack

With...

A horn spoon (I have to boil it and straighten the handle...)

A Coconut bowl/drinking vessel.

Flint and Steal

A light weight 8 foot'ish by 8 foot'ish (hopefully hand sewn linen) tarp.

Rope and (OK... so they are huge modern Nails... so sue me...) tent steaks (Gotta deal with alla that damn coral somehow....)

and a buncha other small stuff that I can't remember right now....

A Machete (I'm going to grind down the blade so it looks closer to the Spanish Colonial one shown in TWILL in the Buccaneer Project.)

A belt knife

A pocket knife

A Cartridge Box (I have a "Hunting Pouch that I may be able to modify...)

And my Doglock Musket (I have to do some work to the frizzen, and hopefully, I'll have the time to change the buttplate.)

I will have to hide/store inside the Fort...

The "carry on" bag that the bedroll and snapsack will fly in... (Dang Airlines would charge me for an extra bag....so I'll put them both together and they will still be within the "carry on" size limit)

The hard-sided case that the Doglock will be checked in. They are going to kill me on the over sized extra container... but I figure it will still be cheaper than taking off the lock and shipping it separately as "gun parts" by UPS ....But I will look into shipping cost more closer to PiP)

I'll list my clothing in another post....

I will be doing a lot of "Cross Posting" in the next few Months... stuff in the "Period Camping " thread and the "Buccaneer Project" thread in TWILL... But I will post everything here so it's all in one place. (that way, you don't have to sort through alla the arguments about "documentation" and "are you sure that's period?"... :o

Less than three Months....Time to get excited.......

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update on me(the pyrate formally known as mr.tignor, im not so far along in getting regular(1720) stuff together, bbbuutt im still gonna try to get a buccaneer kit going....i just doubt ill look qquuiittee as good as the rest of yee...lol Ill be camped at the mercury's site but ill definitely spend quite abut of time literally chewing the fat with you guys...lol

Monsieur René "la Gaffe" Truffaut - Sailor -filibustier - grenadier - Fiddler - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Update from Treva Shay: During the day I be a swaggering sassy buccaneer, of which parts the musket and knives are further along than be my clothes (I be finding that Snaphaunce locks are more fun to play with than than making buttonholes... sigh), but I will have a small tarp for my footprint (along the same lines as yeself's) and able to furnish for the general buccaneer camp native foilage and the raw pigskin, if and when needed. Nighttimes I be stashing the weapons, donning female garb and transforming into Shay of the Keys on the harpsichord.

P.S. Patrick, Please advise if ye wants me to keep the pigskin au natural and bring it as is, or if I can thaw, prep and use it now for part of my kit, thereby granting me back half of my freezer space.rolleyes.gif

P.S. Patrick, Please advise if ye wants me to keep the pigskin au natural and bring it as is, or if I can thaw, prep and use it now for part of my kit, thereby granting me back half of my freezer space

As cool as it would be... and the "freak out" factor would be fun.... But if you have a project that would use the piggie skin, I'd say use it .... then stock up on some good ice cream.... Hey... it all depends on what you'd find more fun.....

Oh yeah.... we are going to need some firewood.... not enough for a huge blazing bonfire, But somehow, I just can see a small campfire in the Buccaneer camp.....Hey... a buncha small lean-twos, around a small camp fire..... cool

There will be a large fire pit at the Hide for any folks that need the use of one. Still waiting to hear back from the powers that be regarding fire wood, whether or not crews will need to bring their own or not...as there can be an issue with importing fire wood from out of state. So whether or not the park service will be providing the wood, is still up in the air as of this date.

OK... Buccaneers this is something we gotta work on.......

The Buccaneer Camp kinda sorta needs a fire..... not a huge fire.... but a fire anyway..... Shay... can you make this happen... (heck I'm flying in... so fire wood isn't something I can take care of....)(hey...Animal is going to be driving down if he can make it.... and... well you're like the closest...Post if it is doable....)

From wot I can figgure right now, there are going to be maybe three of us camping there ... that is still cool... three years ago that was the entire authentic Pyrate Camp...... so this stuff grows......

We are doing a period that most people have no idea wot it is......they think Pyrates sacked th' Spanish Main... nawh... that's wot we (the Buccaneers ) did................ SO we gots ter tell the story......

No offense, Patrick. But we did the buccaneer period two years ago in the fort, right down to the type of food, drink, games and even how sugar was pressed.

We did full education to the public about the buccaneers... the politics of the time, the fashions, the difference between pirates and buccaneers. We were all portraying characters of the time, from the commander of Fort Charles to the ordinary seaman who was whoring for doxies. The only thing we didn't do was boucan a pig. I guess you didn't stop by to see us then.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

There will be a large fire pit at the Hide for any folks that need the use of one. Still waiting to hear back from the powers that be regarding fire wood, whether or not crews will need to bring their own or not...as there can be an issue with importing fire wood from out of state. So whether or not the park service will be providing the wood, is still up in the air as of this date.

OK... Buccaneers this is something we gotta work on.......

The Buccaneer Camp kinda sorta needs a fire..... not a huge fire.... but a fire anyway..... Shay... can you make this happen... (heck I'm flying in... so fire wood isn't something I can take care of....)(hey...Animal is going to be driving down if he can make it.... and... well you're like the closest...Post if it is doable....)

From wot I can figgure right now, there are going to be maybe three of us camping there ... that is still cool... three years ago that was the entire authentic Pyrate Camp...... so this stuff grows......

We are doing a period that most people have no idea wot it is......they think Pyrates sacked th' Spanish Main... nawh... that's wot we (the Buccaneers ) did................ SO we gots ter tell the story......

No problem; I'll start scrounging the wood for our fire ASAP -Shay

Buccaneer's Realm covers the period from the beginning of the buccaneers on Tortuga through their demise as the planters took over Jamaica.

Other good choices:

Memoirs of a Buccaneer - Dampier

The Sack of Panama - Peter Earle

Harry Morgan's Way - Dudley Pope

In Search of the Buccaneers - Anthony Gambrill

The Great Buccaneer - Philip Lindsay

Sir Henry Morgan - Rosita Forbes

Tomorrow I start Wafer's A New Voyage And Description Of The Isthmus Of America...

The description of the exploits, the strategies and lifestyle of the buccaneers can be gleaned through these. You'll also find that Esquemling's stories were apocryphal at best. A surgeon would have never been on the front lines - rather, he would have been far behind enemy lines tending to the the wounded. A surgeon was too far valuable to risk in battle.

-- Hurricane

I was fortunate to read the copy of 'Memoirs of a Buccaneer' thanks to Hurricane. Wonderful stuff. Highly recommend it!

Edited by Nigel

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

OK...I'm totally freaked... so much to do.........

luckily it kinda will work out...... I just ain't sure bout the shipping crate fer me dog lock musket,,,, the blunderbuss is easy... but as a Buccaneer... I kinda have to have the dog lock...... waaaaaaaaaaaaaagggh......

• 3 weeks later...

This is from the cooking and campfires thread....

5-Buccaneer Camp/Hurricane's Crewe. We put the buccaneer camp and Hurricanes fires together, so that the Boucan Demo can have a front row placement, and so that there was a spread out of the fire placements.

since the Buccaneers Camp only appears to be Shay and myself, and we may be sharing a camp with the Steles Raid guys... and now because of limited fire pits... we all may be sharing a fire pit with Hurricane's group...... cool... alla the early period buccaneers together is better than us being spread about.....

My only concern is that the original idea of the Buccaneer Camp was 1669, and Stele's Raid is 1670 (close enough)... But Hurricane's group is a little later period .... are we going to confuse people/the "public".... or they won't know one way ot the other?

Patrick, I really don't think there will be much confusion with the public. Unless they are really well versed on the history of the buccaneer timeline, I don't think they will even know the difference. I would answer questions about what is happening in the camp with general answers. I think keeping it simple would be the best way to go. I'll be there with you in spirit and working on 2011. I would like to see some images of the encampment (photo or sketch) when you all get back. I'll be hoisting one in all of your collective honors.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

i agree with animal in this respect, honesty most people dont know the difference between us and a revolutionary war reenactor, and honestly i dont think they really care...sadly enough....as long as you educate them about whats your doing and what people once did and mabey even why they did it if your feeling particularly adventurous...........and make the kids smile .................all shall be well. Though ill be in the mercury crew camp, i will have an earlier era kit buccaneer kit(thoug i might fit better with the Serle's Raid guys, because for some reason i seem to have leaned towards a more soldierish impression...........dont know how it happened lol)...........hhumm how close are the camps?, if possible i could sort of scoot inbetween, i think my tent is more along what you guys will have....for the most part its a square tarp (diamond tent style)....though it does indeed have a flap closure.....

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

hhumm how close are the camps?, if possible i could sort of scoot inbetween, i think my tent is more along what you guys will have....for the most part its a square tarp (diamond tent style)....though it does indeed have a flap closure.....

Well... all of the Camps are close... and we visit each other......it's not like..."eeewue you're with X camp..... you can't come visit us..."

The distinction between Camps kinda blurs, as we are having so much fun visiting everyone......

I still would like to see the three "earlier period/Buccaneer" Camps sharing one space/spot.....(Oh yeah... and fire, since they are limited ...)

Then we can play off of the different time period (the Buccaneers and the Pyrates)..... "Education by osmosis" as it were B) .....(I just figure one largish Buccaneer Camp is better than three small camps.......)

Oh yeah... my shade structure/tarp, is an 8 footish by 7 footish chunk of light weight tan cotton (Hey... I wanted to make it hand sewn linen....but I ran outta tyme)

indeed sir, ill be around camp for sure, ill still try get my tent closer, sense i am attempting the earlier impression also...but ill probably go for the closest, and best smelling fire...........pork is.....ggooooddd....bacon...yyesss................

-Israel Cross-

Crew of the Archangel

The tents are pretty locked into their positions this year already. Everyone will have an assigned space based on who they are signed on with and the respective "captain" of that section will be following maps of the tent layouts to ensure everyone gets a great space.

So, I believe you'll have to make do with roaming between the two as the tents are already fixed into the site plan.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

and best smelling fire...

Woah... best smelling fire... not the best smelling Camp......

If ye gots sensitive nostrils like that flea bitten Pyrate Hunter Sturlin'.... ye wanna be way up wind from me.....(an' that's before I start fartin' the 1812 oviture......)

If ye gots sensitive nostrils like that flea bitten Pyrate Hunter Sturlin'.... ye wanna be way up wind from me.....(an' that's before I start fartin' the 1812 oviture......)

.....i think i might actually be afraid......but iv done stranger things then suffer horrid smells....for my love of pork.............that poor little old lady........................*cough...........i actually think iv heard of your legendary smell mr.hand, i look forward to it...i think.....

-Israel Cross-

Crew of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

Never fear, Fearless Leader Hand! Your 1812 Overture will be happily upstaged by the delectably fresh flyblown drying pigskin just upwind of your noble establishment. (I have it on excellent authority that you like to be close to your re-enactment projects round -the-clock for true authenticity). uh, Patrick, could this be a clue as to why we're down to only two buccaneers?

Never fear, Fearless Leader Hand! Your 1812 Overture will be happily upstaged by the delectably fresh flyblown drying pigskin just upwind of your noble establishment. (I have it on excellent authority that you like to be close to your re-enactment projects round -the-clock for true authenticity). uh, Patrick, could this be a clue as to why we're down to only two buccaneers?

Spurious lies! There are more buccaneers coming. We should have atleast 6 in camp, no counting Hurricanes crew.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

Flea bitten??? Hmmm reckon tis time for a fresh bit of lard...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Woe is me, as the powers that be have just determined the ignoble pigskin will not be participating in PIP. A vainglorious end thwarted with only 5 days to go...a moment of silence dedicated to all porcines of yesteryears in their brief lives rooting amongst the wilds... Sorry, Patrick.