• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always enjoy a little fear mongering.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I know of no buccaneers without jobs in Florida right now. And everyone's weapon is safe. Plenty of lead and plenty of powder to hold off those bandits riding elephants who look lost roughshod, striking fear into the heart's of decent, hard working men of fortune.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I still have a buncha other projects that I have to finish before I can start working on my Buccaneer stuff again...... But I still have plenty of time fer that....

The biggest problem I'm trying to figure out is how to get my doglock musket to PiP.... I may be able to ship the stock and barrel separate from the lock as gun parts by UPS.... But getting it shipped back after PiP may be a hustle....

Patrick, if you want I'll ship them home for you ...already have the address :P

Patrick, if you want I'll ship them home for you

That might work.... I just never have the time when I'm leaving PiP to get to UPS... and ship stuff out.....

Everything else is easy... for a 1720's Pyrate, the blunderbuss, knives and cutlass all fit into a small(ish) crate that I could fly with... but the Doglock is so dang long that there may be a problem trying to fly with it.....

I still have plenty of time to figure alla th' shipping part out....

Yeah, we ship everything ahead of time whenever possible. Much less worry on the day of travel and everything's just waiting on the other end. We're even barging stuff over to the Bahamas for an event there so we don't have to hassle with anything - and they don't really care about all that weapons nonsense, since we work for the government when we're there. Still easier to ship it.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 months later...

Bumping this as we are less than 6 months out. I think those of us camping in the Buccaneer Camp need to start figuring out firepit size and configurations since we'll be doing the meat cooking for the meals. I have no problem attending to this as it will be needed watching constantly. Anyone else feel free to jump in.

Animal

Edited by Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Im definitely goona jump in on the buccaneer era. 1720s are great but i would love to have an earlier kit also, though personally im goona attempt to portray a french filibustier. Im trying to find what i can, but i must say there doesnt seem to be all that much on french sailors(iv read sea rovers practice and a few others, but nothing too concreate). Nore have i been able to find any period sketches as of yet,any help would be greatly appreciated on that front. Hope to see you all at PiP!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 weeks later...
Ahough personally im goona attempt to portray a french filibustier. Im tryck...................

A large part of my personna story is my Frence partner.. Le Cleric. who helped me to become a Bucaneer.... I may hate the French... but mess with my partner..... yer dead..... (unfortunatly he dies,,..... if you caire to hear that I will tell you...P

But the buccaneers were predonminatlly French.....but not all of them were ...

Hey.... I'm drunk..... so spelling is right out th window....

Once upon a time ... theere were these men.. who hunted to hunt on an island... the Spanish said it was theres ........ (add a bunch of religious stuff right here )

I am portraying (a part of history that has been forgotten) a Northern European, exploring the boundaries of what the Pope granted to Spain

...... and why is all of this the Papist? (As a Character,,)

The world was split.(Religiously ).... So why don't we get a pat of if....? <Hey... that's my buccaneer thoughts..... bout that...)

This isn't wot I wanna ter post...... Iwannet toe post how far behind I am with my buccaneer projects,,,

But hell or high water,,, We are going ter have a Buccaneer Camp next year...at worekt out fer wot we

can do......

We are goinna show where Pyrate came from..........

Post or two in the future,,,,,,Arragggge I'm way behind jgetting alla my stuff stuff together....

I just wrote out a list of alla the stuff I need for next year,,,,,,,

Some of wot I got will work.... but there is a lot I still have to do....

Right now, Im', into total 4th of July float kinda thing............make a cood float, kinda thing,,,,y

then BurningMan....

I got half the stuff... but I want to do better.....

I find the Buccaneer Period fasinating.... How often did the Pyrates sack a Spanish town...... Pirates of the Carebeaen tells them that happened.......

Drat....

I kinda messed up on that one.....

Rats............

Hey do you wanna join th' Buccaneer camp? cool....

bincha reprobates an such.... but the best bar_b_ gue in Florida... well Animal says So.......

An' who is stupid enough to argue wit Animal......

Drat....

I kinda messed up on that one.....

Rats............

Hey do you wanna join th' Buccaneer camp? cool....

bincha reprobates an such.... but the best bar_b_ gue in Florida... well Animal says So.......

An' who is stupid enough to argue wit Animal......

LOL mr hand, indeed i would like to carouse around with you guys(iiiff that question was to me lol) i have a spot at the mercury camp, is that near you guys and your delicious foo....i mean wealth of knowlege? I must confess my kit is presently gear for the 1720s but im gonna try and make an earlier version for buccaneering/filibustiering purposes. ...and though i may get a lot of story(i hope lol) i dare say i would like to hear how a your french partner dies, im still working out the details of my own persona, so anything would be of great help sir! Cheers!

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick, If ye be looking fer a crusty camp wench who can pull 'er own weight, I'd be very grateful to you for considering me a potential fer the Buccaneers Camp. I'm a self-sufficient, roll-with-the punches, laughter-loving, blunderbuss-toting woman who has grown up and lived most of her life in unique circumstances. (I tasted domestic meat for the first time as a teen.) My passion is reenacting, and it looks as though I'll be slow in the formal female attire preparedness for this year's PIP, so I'd appreciate you considering me. I am as comfortable with a ladle as a pickaxe, can split wood, scrape hides, haul water, or whate'er you buccaneers fancy. I will take no offense if you'd rather wait till PIP 2010 to consider extending an invite, for I be a first-timer at PIP and understand the seriousness of maintaining as true as PC as possible, and I be an unknown, though serious reenactor. Dear Silkie will be keeping the harpsichord at the Hide, which leaves me free to lay me bones elsewhere and cavort in Boucan style. -Shay of the Keys

Shay.... if you are looking for a cool camp... then just check out the 1720's Careening Camp....

But if you wanna go 1669 Buccaneer.... cool....you can play also.....

Animal may or may not be able to make it.....

But I've decided to continue with the venture....(If he can't be there... we gotta drink a toast in his honor.....)

For me... the largest hustle is getting my doglock musket to PiP.....well and re-making/finishing a lot of stuff.......

And to be honest... I'm in full Burning Man mode right now... get alla my stuff together for that.....

After I come down from the rush (or Burn-out).... then I will be working on my Buccaneer stuff, and posting more.....

I will post soon what My concept of the Buccaneer Camp should be (and anyone can post and discuss other ideas... hey.. I ain't th' Dictator or Captain of this idea.....)

I still feel very strongly that showing the Buccaneer period, leads into what we all call the Golden Age of Pyracy... it's just a part of history that gets "clumped" into another....

(Rats.... that didn't type out the way I wanted it....) Oh well.... next post should be better......

Shay.... if you are looking for a cool camp... then just check out the 1720's Careening Camp....

But if you wanna go 1669 Buccaneer.... cool....you can play also.....

Animal may or may not be able to make it.....

But I've decided to continue with the venture....(If he can't be there... we gotta drink a toast in his honor.....)

For me... the largest hustle is getting my doglock musket to PiP.....well and re-making/finishing a lot of stuff.......

And to be honest... I'm in full Burning Man mode right now... get alla my stuff together for that.....

After I come down from the rush (or Burn-out).... then I will be working on my Buccaneer stuff, and posting more.....

I will post soon what My concept of the Buccaneer Camp should be (and anyone can post and discuss other ideas... hey.. I ain't th' Dictator or Captain of this idea.....)

I still feel very strongly that showing the Buccaneer period, leads into what we all call the Golden Age of Pyracy... it's just a part of history that gets "clumped" into another....

(Rats.... that didn't type out the way I wanted it....) Oh well.... next post should be better......

Patrick, ye be a gem of gems! Many thanks for the choice; my heart still is for the buccaneer camp, however. My weapons will match the 1669 era nicely.

I be currently perusing Benerson Little's The Buccaneer's Realm, Charles Boxer's The Portuguese Seabourne Empire: 1415-1825, and Russell-Wood's The Portuguese Empire 1415-1808. If you have any other good reads offhand to recommend, please let me know as I will be near several favorite bookstores in Northern Calif. in one week. Meantime, again my thanks and good luck on Burning Man.

P.S. If you need a place to ship the doglock or any other kit, you can ship it to my address here in the Upper Keys. Will catch you later, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for future postings. -Shay

I'm not totally counting myself out of PIP but being realistic with the move and hopefully new job. I got a set of leggings from Bo and they look great. Gotta finish my shirt but that may have to wait until the move is done. Everything else I have from previous kits. I even got a new machete form on of our crewe down here that I have to do some work on and make a sheath from some pig skin that I got from Sutler Jon. If I don't make it (I'll then have to drink myself into a stupor), I'll be at Blackbeard's in full kit.

Patrick, PM me your number and the best time to call you.

Animal

I wanted to type up something that sounded kinda cool..... I sat down to write it this afternoon.... and all I can come up with is a buncha random thoughts.....

So without any further adieu.... a buncha random thoughts.....

How do we show the public the differences between the "Buccaneer Period" and the "Golden Age of Pyracy" without sounding like we are trying to force feed them history?

Oh yeah.... I am not the Captain or Dictator of this adventure....if you disagree with me... lets post it and discuss it here first......like true Buccaneers.........

well if you are camping with the Buccaneer Camp..... good ideas from the peanut gallery will be taken into consideration... but how we should play according to someone else's idea will not....if ye ain't campin' wit us don't tell us how we have to do so..... )

The year is 1669... Porto Bello and Maracaibo have been sacked, and Morgan is planning something really huge .....(well we wouldn't know it is going to be the Sack of Panama yet...) But whatever it is.... we want to be a part of it.....

I figgure most of us will be portraying Buccaneers as hunters..... So I think we should "pack Light"..... (I use to do American Civil War reenacting.... when it was time to go to the "battle".... our camp went with us.......)So if you can pack / carry everything in a snapsack, haversack or bedroll... that should be a good impression of the period. I know that Buccaneers did have tents... and did set-up "base Camps" from where they went out hunting.....but I think we should portray a more mobile impression of the period.... "Hey... we are running outta loot, and are looking forward to whatever Morgan is planning.... so we should look like we know what we are doing... but should also look like we could do well with some more loot....

Ahw.... how easy it is to put together a Buccaneer impression will have to wait for the next post.......

Oh yeah.... one last thought.... do we drink Rum...(considered cheap back then) or do we drink brandy.....?

see.... fun fun fun......

Patrick- How do the other camps answer queries from the public concerning their activities? Is there an unobtrusive "guide" explaining as events unfold, or discreet plaques outlining the everyday activities? Do the reenactors stay in true character throughout and disregard the public, or is there interaction between PIP participants and the public?

My experience is knock their socks off with a truly as PC as possible portrayal and the curiousity and questions will follow; the public will WANT to know what the heck is going on and will be grateful for the info (relayed in an appropriately buccaneer style) and not feel that they are being force-fed info. Boucans: the Tailgate Parties of Yesteryears!!

Doglock Muskets (the commonality in both the filibusters and boucaniers) were the trademark, as were a lack of metal implements other than knives...no plates, just leaves...closest thing to a mug was a calabash (gourd)...WOW, portray it accurately, with the focus on something like, "How it all Began" as a simple intro with crude signs directing the observers to the encampment areas, and the public's curiousity will take over. I mean , I was fascinated to find that the boucaniers and filibusters "used an expedient method of loading, which gave them on average three shots to the Spanish one", not to mention finding that most of the mulatto women of Petit Goave (boucanier santuary since at least 1659, on the southwest peninsula of Hispaniola) were "nude, except for a linen skirt". No confining stays for those wenches!

The encampment could actually be split into thirds: the first with emphasis on hunting, importance of target shooting, difference between filibusters and boucaniers, where they came from, the art of matelotage (partnership)... an area with taxidermy mounts of hopefully a steer and/or pig, hunting dogs, skins pegged out, an enigmatic trail with bits of gore leading to the abattoir... The second section could be the cooking area in all its fragrant glory, pit staked out showing the proper boucan ( wonderful description in Benerson Little's The Buccaneer's Realm in Appendix E; all quotes in this posting are from his book, w/ bilbliographical references.) Lastly, the third area could be the leisure area with mending, games of gambling, leatherworking, whatever...

Please forgive the length of these ramblings; the buccaneer period was so crucial as it was the place Where It All Started, and I get pretty excited. Yes, I realize taxidermied critters are hard to come by, but not impossible to borrow, even if it's just a head poking out of the mangroves tangle... Just some ramblings of my own from the peanut gallery.... Oh, and I vote rum punch after sunup, brandy after sundown.

Buccaneers worked with cattle and wild pig alone. They didn't hunt other game as a rule. I would go with the Cornish hens as well - much easier to work with and you won't run "afoul" of regs in the park.

The biggest challenge will be getting green wood and green vines there. They may have to be shipped in to make the grill portion. Also, it require four large forked sticks for the posts, which are driven into the ground.

Finally, remember that the representation period Harry set was 1675 to 1725. Of course, buccaneers were still from 1675 to roughly 1685, so you're still good within those dates as well. That's one of the reasons why we set our pub in 1681.

Good start all. I will try to get around to posting more of the stuff I have on the period once I get another two projects out of my way workwise.

-- Hurricane

Hurricane, if you need help securing green wood and forked posts for the boucan, brochettes for eating, or lianas I can probably help you. I live in the Upper Keys on a heavily forested natural lot with native species for the most part. I'm planning to haul the harpsichord in my SUV for PIP, and can also bring foilage if needed. I have everything from palm fronds to lignumvitae (although the lignumvitae can't travel, as it's on the potential endangered species list). Be sure the locale for the boucan is on appropriate soil so one can actually drive stakes into the ground far enough to support the weight of the cooking meat, as most of our ground is coral rock (State Parks generally frown upon the presence of jack hammers). I'd be happy to help in any possible way.

Shay, good to see your excitement about the project!!!! As for the boucan, I think that we need to ak Spike about the particulars. The original boucans that were used to smoke meat were small houses. I don't think that we can get away with that. In keeping with Patrick's post, I think that the keeping the kits light is the way to go. The time period is around Morgan's plans to attack Panama (even tho we don't know it yet) is something to keep in mind. Consider this a gathering of the Brethern prior to the attack. A simple firepit and spit set up for cooking meat would be more acceptable to the new manager. I agree that some hides out and being worked on would be a good set up for the camps. I don't know it that is something the management would allow but it is possible. Before I make my move north, I'll see about the possibility of getting a couple of hide locally that can be worked on. I'll post later with my results. This si really killing me that I may not be able to be there this year. Sound like so much more fun than when Patrick and I were seriously talking about it. If I'm not there, I'll be there in spirit (or spirits) with you all.

Animal

Finally, remember that the representation period Harry set was 1675 to 1725. Of course, buccaneers were still from 1675 to roughly 1685, so you're still good within those dates as well. That's one of the reasons why we set our pub in 1681.

But I asked Harry if we could portray the earlier Buccaneer period last year, and he had no problem with it.....Granted we were both happily toasted at the time.... but my reasoning was.... 1669 is right before the Sack of Panama.... the height... the Heyday of the Buccaneer Period.... and heck... it's only off by wot.... 6....7 years....(our math wasn't so good that night....) :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Ter me way o' figgurin'..... Buccaneers fit very nicely into what the Fort is presenting and doing... sure we are a few year before wot th' Fort presents as the time line.... but ... hey... wit some rum Harry didn't have a problem with that.... So I be arguing that it still stands..... We can have 1669 Buccaneers at the Fort this year.... Harry said so......

Once upon a time.... (an' ye lazy scabs can look it up fer yerselves...) the 1720's Careening Camp was poo pooed by someone..... and look at it now..... :P

Four years ago,if was just four people camping inside of th' Fort.....look at it now.... So I figure there is a place fer Buccaneers to play also.....

I'm going ter go drink som more rum........... aaargh.....

Patrick and Hurricane, Just got back early this morn from an emergency weeklong trip to CA. I've brought some intruiging items back for the buccaneer camp, as I helped butcher a cow and got a fresh pigskin for the camp while there. If advisability and legalities prohibits its usage in the Park, I can go ahead thaw, scrape, and stretch and cure it beforehand, and use it for clothing or shoes. I don't want to rock the boat w/ the new administration, so will await Capt. Spike's and you guys' go-ahead. It would be superb authenticity, however, if we get the okay, and we can prep it onsite (and Downwind!). Finished Benerson Little's Buccaneers Realm while enroute. Great read; I hated to see it end. -Treva