Buccaneer Camp at PiP 2009

Patrick Hand

In TWILL there already is a thread on The Buccaneer Project

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=4392...mp;#entry332740

For discussing Buccaneers, their gear, and how to make stuff...

So this thread is specifically about how are are going to set-up a Buccaneer Camp next year at PiP

What we plan on doing, and of course.... how much fun we are going to have.

It will also act as a list for everyone who wants to join the camp...

Members Camping in the Buccaneer Camp at PiP 2009

Patrick Hand

Animal

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh do let's sign Mission the Vegetarian Surgeon up for that one, for sure...

(Not.)

It's a really cool idea, though. You should contact the Doug and William show - I'll bet they'd be interested. I don't think they post here, however.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

neither Doug or william have a computer now william is working on getting another but i'll pass the word along and i can almost bet me next mug of wobble juice that they will join you on the beach buccaneer camp for that matter i'll join also i've already got cooking the pork over the fire down and if'n we catch some fish and lobster , WHOO

For true boucan, you'd better practice your bird shooting skills. The birds went inside the pork or beef to roast. The buccaneer who got the least number of birds had to drink as many shots of rum as the number of birds the winner shot. There's a lot more, of course, including weaving the bowls and whipping up the gravy. A better description is in Benerson's book.

It's the one Animal will be using as the guide.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I'm re-reading The Buccaneers of America and this time I'm taking notes.....

I'm thinking of printing a small pamphlet that we could either sell (for about $1 and donate the money to the Fort) or just giving away, That would help to explain some of the interesting parts of the period.

Also, I think we should set a date that the camp is depicting. I think 1669 would be good,...Basically it's the "Height of the Buccaneer Period".....Morgan is planning something (the Sack of Panama), Port Royal is still the "Wickedest City on Earth" and ...well it's a funny date... :D

Patrick, glad to see this thread. The book Hurricane is referring to is the Buccaneers Realm. I am also going to get the one you are re-reading. Between the two and the discussion in the Buccaneer Project, this should be a comprehensive presentation. While we can't shoot the birds as suggested by Hurricane, the shot pre bird could be fun :P Glad to be getting on with this.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Buccaneer's Realm covers the period from the beginning of the buccaneers on Tortuga through their demise as the planters took over Jamaica.

Other good choices:

Memoirs of a Buccaneer - Dampier

The Sack of Panama - Peter Earle

Harry Morgan's Way - Dudley Pope

In Search of the Buccaneers - Anthony Gambrill

The Great Buccaneer - Philip Lindsay

Sir Henry Morgan - Rosita Forbes

Tomorrow I start Wafer's A New Voyage And Description Of The Isthmus Of America...

The description of the exploits, the strategies and lifestyle of the buccaneers can be gleaned through these. You'll also find that Esquemling's stories were apocryphal at best. A surgeon would have never been on the front lines - rather, he would have been far behind enemy lines tending to the the wounded. A surgeon was too far valuable to risk in battle.

Don't waste your time with Empire of Blue Water. It's a good story, but the fictional character gets to be a pain after a while. The author really didn't need him.

By 1669 the buccaneers were primarily soldiers and land forces. So these works have a lot of good information about life as a buccaneer in the times of battles mentioned. Also, Port Royal was an extremely wealthy town and the buccaneers there could have anything they wanted when they returned, so the look of them can be quite diverse, compared to earlier buccaneers of the Tortuga times. If it was in London at the time or anywhere in Europe for that matter, it was in Port Royal and could easily be had by trade, purchase or theft.

Also, Animal - I have the American Heritage book and the complete Time Life series if you want to take some notes.

Glad to see others taking an interest in this time. Thought Patrick and I were the lone wolves all these years.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Also, Animal - I have the American Heritage book and the complete Time Life series if you want to take some notes.

Thank you kind sir, I will take advantage of your offer next Sunday.

Animal

Okay so is this in addition to the pirate camps? or in place of? and if in addition... are Archangel crewe members jumping ship? Just need to know who I can count on before I commit the crewe to anything...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I think I can speak for patrick as well as myself that this is an addition to it. Just another part of history of piracy. If I spoke out of turn, please correct me.

Animal

Patrick, glad to see this thread. The book Hurricane is referring to is the Buccaneers Realm. I am also going to get the one you are re-reading. Between the two and the discussion in the Buccaneer Project, this should be a comprehensive presentation. While we can't shoot the birds as suggested by Hurricane, the shot pre bird could be fun :angry: Glad to be getting on with this.

Animal

Hmmm know any taxidermists?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

patrick,

I've put the word out to some of the coworkers. hope to have deer and if hunts go well turkey, duck, or goose for the camp. remind me to hit them up closer to the date. they say that the fowl can be field cleaned and frozen with the feathers on. If you are interested I can get them to florida for the boucaneers to clean but they would need to be cooked the first night probably so that may be part of one of the camps dinners.

as far as living history, i'll be happy to work up any sort of a project you might have in mind. BTW- was there enough interest in the navigation to have it return next year??

I didn't even think about that - my brother-in-law, bow hunts for the State of New Jersey - they call him to actually help thin the deer population. My sister is overrun with deer heads its actually really weird to sit in her living room, i'm always afraid Bambi's gonna come in any minute and kick my ass.

Anyway... I bet i can get us some venison, don't know about the whole deer unless someone wants to pick the thing up. But I can get antlers and skins and probably some jerky and steaks, i'll ask him. Thanks Dutch...good idea, its not Florida deer, which is MUCH smaller... still its deer...anyone know any FLA hunters?

Oh and regarding the navigation -- YEAH -- I was but then I'm a Navy geek that never did any more than I had to back then, so I found it fascinating, interested in chart making of the time too. Have been doing a little reading myself...thanks for spurring the interest.

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

BE SURE TO CHECK GAME REGULATIONS ON BRINGING IN STUFF FROM OTHER STATES!!! Felonies can be comitted without you knowing how serious it is until the warden explains it to you in cuffs!

Rock-Cornish game hens from the super market make fine fare for the fire and are small enough to resemble game birds. I use them often when doing period camps. Roadkill venison has been on my menu more than once too. Got a doozy of a story to go with that. (well, there is still a lot of good meat there if you don't mind pickin out the asphalt!) :rolleyes:

Bo

Ahoy Patrick,

We have pretty big wild hog here in FL. I am sure my Dixie Daughter and her redneck boyfriend could get us one for the Buccan. Also, the "chefs" who did the "other" Salamangundi might be interested in Buccan cooking. Harry told me something of that nature, or I could have been maddeningly drunk and confused also.

Ahoy Patrick,

We have pretty big wild hog here in FL. I am sure my Dixie Daughter and her redneck boyfriend could get us one for the Buccan. Also, the "chefs" who did the "other" Salamangundi might be interested in Buccan cooking. Harry told me something of that nature, or I could have been maddeningly drunk and confused also.

Probably both, Spike

Animal

I'm glad the issue of meat for the fires was brought up. While I don't hunt in Florida, maybe Harry has some connections with the Game Department and they could donate a road kill deer. Just a thought. I also have some friends who hunt gators during the season and I might be able to lay my hands on a couple of skins and some meat. I have to do some research and whether gators and such where on Tortuga or not. I haven't read anything yet about it. Maybe stretching some skins and explaining the process as part of the demo. I'm sure we'll have to clear a lot of this with Harry and the new manager first but we have 11 month or so to get things straightened out.

Animal

Buccaneers worked with cattle and wild pig alone. They didn't hunt other game as a rule. I would go with the Cornish hens as well - much easier to work with and you won't run "afoul" of regs in the park.

The biggest challenge will be getting green wood and green vines there. They may have to be shipped in to make the grill portion. Also, it require four large forked sticks for the posts, which are driven into the ground.

Finally, remember that the representation period Harry set was 1675 to 1725. Of course, buccaneers were still from 1675 to roughly 1685, so you're still good within those dates as well. That's one of the reasons why we set our pub in 1681.

Good start all. I will try to get around to posting more of the stuff I have on the period once I get another two projects out of my way workwise.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ahoy Patrick,

I have their e-mail, I could write them if you guys want me to and see if they are interested. They are also planning on bringing MANY more chefs next year....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Cool o - I personally love that year, historically for the buccaneers. We will be setting up a test kitchen of sorts in the backyard here to see if we can bring one of the illustrations to life for cooking boucan. That way Animal will have been through it for real first, before trying it down there.

This is going to be a great addition to the presentation!!! Can't wait to see what you guys cook up (pun intended).

And I'm glad all your work on this to date will be on display down there, Patrick.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny