The hanging of Capt Sterling

Diosa De Cancion

I have just started to go through the photos I copied from the Callahans hard drive and came across some from the hanging of Capt Sterling at PIP.

I had seen pictures in the past, but watching the event unfold was very surreal. Here's my 2 cents (for anyone who cares or hasn't seen them)…

Being on injured reserve, I watched the whole commotion from the sidelines and was watching the audience as much as the hanging.

For those who were not there, the setup is as follows, M.A. d'Dogge has set up the audience to support the hanging of their Capt so they can join the Bone Island Buccaneers. Some of their crewe grab Sterling and start to move him towards the noose as Dogge and others from the Archangel and BIB crewes call to string him up.

While those two groups were in on it, it was the people in the audience that were the most interesting to watch.

As Sterling was being dragged towards the noose people were not sure what to expect. I saw many of them asking what they were going to do and if they were really going to do it.

As the rope went around the neck, the 'oh my god, are you serious?' questions came up. Initially, I thought there would be a backlash of people who thought it was 'out of line' or 'inappropriate'. There were a few of those who I saw back away and even turn from the event. But eventually most of them came around and joined others waiting to see what would happen.

This is when Dogge and Spike kicked it up a notch. There were frenzied cries in favor of the death of Sterling. As more of the Bone Island crewe and Archangel crewe jumped in calling for him to drop, the crowd started to turn. They seemed to have hopped on the adrenalin ride and also started calling for his death.

What I found most interesting is that even some of the people who thought it was 'distasteful' before hand, were then yelling in favor of watching Sterling dance. It really gave you a feel for how the mob mentality can work and how lynch mobs swelled in size so quickly. (Mission did you notice this or were you sucking down mead in the pub at the time??? )

The lighting was also eerily perfect for the performance.

Kudos to the Archangel crewe for a hell of a performance.

Additionally, I hate you all for looking so damn good and making start to work on making PC clothing…

118DSCF9613PIP.jpg

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first time I've actually gotten to see ths since I've been with the crew. It was breathtaking.

So many different emotions were called out for me. Never have I felt so much in character as while I experienced them all with Brig- the defiance called out by Maddoge's speech, the affinity with the BIB as they offered the 'Angels a place to go, the call to return to pyracy singing in my blood, then the awful, twisting shame when I saw our poor Cappy being dragged to his doom and the sickening sorrow as I watched him swing.

I remember the humming from the crowd that Diosa mentioned. It was a dirge...the only words I can recall are pray for the dead and the dead will pray for you.

That was more than just a performance. I have no doubt that everyone present was affected in some way. Major kudos to Captain Sterling, Maddogge, Spike and the Buccaneers, Lilly, Mark, Edward, and everyone else involved.

Oh, and kudos to Cousin Robbie for...well, for being Cousin Robbie. :angry:

Edited by Brig

Oh, how beautiful it used to be

Just you and me, far beyond the sea

-Nightwish

Alice Mason, Crewe of the Archangel

The idea of the hanging was brought up last year. I thought it was a good one and ran it up the proverbial flag pole to see who would salute. None of my superiors thought it appropriate. When I explained this is how justice was accomplished, their answer was, "what affect will it have on kids?" I damn near dropped my jaw and retorted that this is mild compared to what kids watch on television these days and events that they are exposed to on a daily basis. The higher-ups would not budge--no hangy down things.

This year when the idea was again proposed, I thought, yes we well do this, but it will be done for the participants of the event in a closed and controlled environment. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the entire gallows. The ideas on accomplishing this were communicated via pm and email and when the Archangel Crewe arrived, they examined the areas where I thought they could perform this stunt.

When I passed on to our law enforcement officer what was going to be happening (about 5 minutes prior to it happening) he responded with, "cool." I told him about the safety measures and how it was going to be done. "Cool," he said.

I am satisfied with the way this way done--in a safe and professional manner. It was a great show! It's part of the history of pyracy.

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

What I found most interesting is that even some of the people who thought it was 'distasteful' before hand, were then yelling in favor of watching Sterling dance. It really gave you a feel for how the mob mentality can work and how lynch mobs swelled in size so quickly. (Mission did you notice this or were you sucking down mead in the pub at the time??? )

I must confess, I didn't see this because I was running pell mell back to the Callahan's tent to get my bone saw in time for my part in the melee. I honestly didn't think the hanging was going to happen and I didn't want it stashed by the stage (where it was originally placed) when the auction was going on. (If they accidentally auctioned off the bone saw, or someone walked off with it on its first outing, I'd be crushed. The damned thing cost almost $200 in the auction where I won it.)

I can't remember the psychologist's name, but he basically said all you need for such a movement is rhetoric and a compelling idea in back of it. Once the ideas are in place and people see others joining in, most willingly slip the chains of expected public social behavior and join the fray. There are countless historic examples of this. If you really want to scare the hell out of yourself (and wonder about what you might do in a morally ambiguous state), read about Stanley Milgram's Obedience Experiments. 2/3 of regular American people did something that you probably doubt you would even be capable of thinking about if asked.

(Sorry to get all serious. It's a fascinating avenue of study.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

and from the voice of the poor fellow who has been the distractor while things are being set....

unfortunately we cannot have the hanging performed in Hampton since the festival site is right across the river from where abraham lincoln read the imancipation proclimation. but the first time i saw a video of the archangels hanging, I knew this was an amazing piece of work and have now been a participant in this event twice. This is more than a simple hanging. The safety planning and double checking of equipment that MadDogge and Sterling go through is a feat unto itself and to be able to repulsively draw a crowd is a spectacle in its own right. Its is indeed a well belayed reenactment.

The idea of the hanging was brought up last year. I thought it was a good one and ran it up the proverbial flag pole to see who would salute. None of my superiors thought it appropriate. When I explained this is how justice was accomplished, their answer was, "what affect will it have on kids?" I damn near dropped my jaw and retorted that this is mild compared to what kids watch on television these days and events that they are exposed to on a daily basis. The higher-ups would not budge--no hangy down things.

This year when the idea was again proposed, I thought, yes we well do this, but it will be done for the participants of the event in a closed and controlled environment. Unfortunately, we couldn't use the entire gallows. The ideas on accomplishing this were communicated via pm and email and when the Archangel Crewe arrived, they examined the areas where I thought they could perform this stunt.

When I passed on to our law enforcement officer what was going to be happening (about 5 minutes prior to it happening) he responded with, "cool." I told him about the safety measures and how it was going to be done. "Cool," he said.

I am satisfied with the way this way done--in a safe and professional manner. It was a great show! It's part of the history of pyracy.

I still think this would be a very interesting study for the public as well. I have heard the Archangel crewe mention that they have two endings.... perhaps we could do the 'lighter' one for the public with their information session on how it is done and the 'don't try this at home' aspect of things.

There's a difference between education and history and just goofing off. This is the former and is a great instrument to be used for discussion of the times then and how they have changed....(or not...)

I know... I know... Florida... Lynch mob past.... 'insensitive'... blah blah....I had that kind of PC....

Harry, who do I need to talk to? Does the media have any clout with your higher ups? I can pull out my Clear Channel card :)

Diosa with bitchy reporter hat on

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I still think this would be a very interesting study for the public as well. I have heard the Archangel crewe mention that they have two endings.... perhaps we could do the 'lighter' one for the public with their information session on how it is done and the 'don't try this at home' aspect of things.

When done in public, we would insist on doing the safety speech directly afterwards. We need to be able to show the people, especially the kids that this is NOT a real hanging but a stunt and must be done by trained folks only... of course the skit could carry on afterward, but we need to be able to speak with the kids as quickly as possible.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Agreed. I had seen you make mention of that in the past, and that is vital to the safety aspect of things. But I don't really think that's the problem from the Park Service / State... trust me...anytime someone mentions the word 'noose' in Florida it ends up on an AP wire story as insensitive and racist....We're a bit touchy down here.

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

The safety planning and double checking of equipment that MadDogge and Sterling go through is a feat unto itself and to be able to repulsively draw a crowd is a spectacle in its own right. Its is indeed a well belayed reenactment.

Actually I am still learning all the safety issues, and there are quite a few... when it comes to doing this stunt, when Maddogge speaks we all listen... fer a change.. :angry: . although this time, the skit itself was quite the team effort, everyone really contributed to it and it certainly shows ... thanks to the crewe and the bonies fer all yer input and participation... team work is what its all about. And though there are no suprises for those involved, there's nothing like seeing a plan come together... Thank ye for all the kudos, the crewe works hard on this particular stunt, we have a number of different versions up our sleeves... so we shall see what we can come up with fer next year.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Remember that this is the state where the Whyda Pyrate exhibit couldn't come because the ship used to be a slave ship and it would be insensitive to display artifacts from a slave ship in Florida. It seems that the mentality is that if you ignore history it will go away or if you claim victim status at every possible turn people will give money to your cause/attend your church/vote for your guy. To deny history is the basest form of censorship, to rewrite it the worst form of injustice.

OK, off soapbox: this sort of thing does get me rolling, though.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I agree with yer soap box issues... nothing worse than trying to hide things that happened in the past... how can we ever learn from things, if we pretend they never happened... studies have shown that when we "ignore" something, we tend to repeat it and make it worse than it was.... funny how folks like Stalin liked to "rewrite" history... since when has he become the ideal for folks to copy...??

Crewe of the Archangel

I feel that this would indeed be an educational tool for the public in general. There are things that are so many things that are educational that are passed on because or "PC" or "Acceptable". This is the way things were done. I think that if this was a scheduled event, a notice to the public posted at the fort entrance would be appropriate and fair warning given. Also with the lecture to the kids (or interested adults) at the end, it would make a fine presentation and probably one of the most accurate around.

That's my 2 cents, change please.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

Diosa, I like the idea of pulling out the Clear Channel card. However, it won't phase the park service/state. They're bending over on the issue of the Class 1 invasive exotics sitting in the picnic area. And, nobody is being taken to dinner. Again--no hangy down things.

I think a possible solution to presenting this to general public is to hold the event at the Hanging Tree near Mallory Square. Those involved would essentially talk to the public about what actually happened at that tree (yes, they did do hangings there) and then demonstrate it--on video. The public, I believe, can easier separate what it sees on the ion bombardment tube as "show" versus "real life," save for those idiotic reality programs. Once the public is able to see the person who was hanged in the video is actually talking to them, it (the hanging) then becomes more palatable. Then, we move on to an actual demonstration. Just a thought...

Hairbonesig.jpg

-------

Fort Taylor Pyrate Fest MySpace Page

Master Hairbone's MySpace Page

-------

There is no more equitable judge than a cannon

As long as there is a good strong branch, I'm sure we could work something out...

one interesting thing I have noted over the years, is that the kids, for the vast majority, understand its a trick/stunt, its getting past the adults, but once they have seen it done, they are begging to see it again... tis just that first step...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Maddogge is VERY, VERY strong...

Crewe of the Archangel

Animal I agree if we were to post in the program and a sign that announced the time of the hanging, as well as had a crier announce the hanging in advance people would be fair warned. It would be historically correct as well, seeing as hangings were public spectacle. We could put a parental warning in the programs and speech for the crier as well.

I honestly think to say this can't be done for a public audience when you consider the gratuitous violence on TV and in film, is ridiculous. If its used as part of the historical re-enactment......maybe Sterling should play Rackham and we can hang him before we try Read and Bonney. That would certainly be true to history. Maybe we could extend that trial script and do the whole story. - just a thought.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

If folks are concerned with the public's response, instead of doing a full hanging such as Rackham to start.. we might want to consider doing a skit with our regular characters and a hanging with a happy ending... I have an idea, but I need to run it past Maddogge, Spike and Harry first....

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

If the Narrator were to announce prior to the hanging as he does prior to the trial it is indeed obvious it is an act of theater - the warning can even be put in the narration - Hanging Rackham in Mallory would bring attention to the event too.

just another thought ....an Hey Diosa that would make Sterling...yours and Be's man ;) at least for a day.

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Sterling perking up... what's that ye say?

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling,

do they have a line attached to the back of the noose, from a harness, in order to insure non choke-age?

Since yer an adult, ye'll need to come and see... ;) but no matter what, NEVER, EVER put ANYTHING around yer neck

Crewe of the Archangel

Sterling your a tall drink of water, certainly no waif... Madd Dogge held you up there for a LONG TIME!! WOW he is freakishly strong...

Nell: oooooh Madd Dogge help me!--- (starts to faint at the sight of the hanging - MD drops the rope to save her)

Opps sorry Sterling what can I say....a girl has to dream, and besides you were already dead (strains a cheesy grin)

RNR2.gif

Ambrose Bierce

Sterling,

do they have a line attached to the back of the noose, from a harness, in order to insure non choke-age?

Since yer an adult, ye'll need to come and see... ;) but no matter what, NEVER, EVER put ANYTHING around yer neck

Oh I'd already planned on doin' so sir.

Jus' th' actor in me that gets curious when I see well done stunts like this.

Sterling your a tall drink of water, certainly no waif... Madd Dogge held you up there for a LONG TIME!! WOW he is freakishly strong...

Nell: oooooh Madd Dogge help me!--- (starts to faint at the sight of the hanging - MD drops the rope to save her)

Opps sorry Sterling what can I say....a girl has to dream, and besides you were already dead (strains a cheesy grin)

ahem... like I said, Maddogge is VERY, VERY strong... he's even done it when I am dressed in full kit... my coat alone weighs a LOT....

Crewe of the Archangel