campaign furniture

Dutchman

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My William and Mary tuckaway table, based on actual tables of the period ~ a scratched together attempt, to verify the concept. Currently working on a more correct Cherry version, with hand cut legs. Those of you who were at PiP this year may have seen it.

9a941fa5.jpg

2705ec04.jpg

Oh, Mary, that table is lovely. Do I take it that you made it yourself? Nice job, indeed.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Thank you, Dutchie and Ransom, for you kind comments. Yes, I made it myself ~ it is not 100%, as it was a mockup to test materials and thicknesses, but I am happy with the initial foray. Yes, it does fold down to about 1.25" thick. Quite light weight, and withstood the damp, rains and spilled wax admirably.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

there is a lovely repro Stuart table about an hour from here....problem it doesn't fold flat

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

wasn't heavy at all, the snotties could carry it, of course they would complain a blue streak, but they could carry it

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

You guys are going to need a bigger trailer...See, a captain would be expected to have all of this furniture in his possession so Sterling, I'm afraid you are simply going to have to have a tent set-up like Bob and Ted's or the rest of the captains will think poorly of you...

Is the pot sufficiently stirred?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

right, well then off to the flea markets i go. maybe find an odd piece that can be converted. thanks for the inspirationMary, like i dont have enough to do already!!!! wench :rolleyes: P.S. dad says Hi.

Happy to help ~ 'tis not like I don't have my mountains of inspiration, with all the knowledgeable and talented folk here. Just thought I would show off one of the things that was keeping me busy. Hope your Dad is doing well ~

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

right, well then off to the flea markets i go. maybe find an odd piece that can be converted. thanks for the inspirationMary, like i dont have enough to do already!!!! wench :lol: P.S. dad says Hi.

Oh, aye, Dutch. Flea markets, second hand and thrift stores, etc... I've found a few things that way already, including that bowback chair with the brace... for $3. Keep yo'r eyes open, ye'll find something. I've seen on occassion some furniture that looks poorly cared for but with a little help can be fantastic Colonial furnature. Or even left as is for that weathered look.

LMAO! Bo... I swear, dude! :)

Tis a long standing hilarity in Lee's Legion, the more stuff you need, you get. Unfortunately, causes you to get a bigger vehicle. Ye know yo'r in trouble when ye get a trailer, a BIG one. But ye have t' admit, that's the way to go since all ye do the majority of the time is hitch up and roll out! :::Clears throat and in Optimus Prime's voice:::: Shipmates... ROLL OUT! :lol: Hehehe

Sterling... LMAO! They be tellin' ye to get more stuff and a bigger tent! Can ye believe that? ROTDLMAO!!!!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

STERLING DOES NOT NEED A BIGGER TENT. He needs to downsize as it is. he set that bloody thing and the neighborhood went to heck. why trying to bury people in coffins. squaters out back. the wind blew the flaps open and it looked like a debris field in there- mostly cheekys fault though. did i mention how heavy the body bag is with the tent in it- oh and don't even get me started on the poles! I think it would be grand if his crew bought him a smaller tent for christmas!

LMAO!!! Oh, come now. Sterling's tent is not all that bad. LOL... I've seen worse. :lol: Both larger tents with more stuff in it and looking like an F5 tornado went through it.

~Lady B

Will have to take pictures of our new double bed and wee Hamish's crib/single bed(it grows as he will) and the chests and stands to get them up off the ground. then there is our secret small chest that holds our portable modern camp toilet so there's no getting out in the middle of the night to take care of business ....oh the creature comforts!!! :lol::lol::huh: Have to finish our kitchen boxes which have maple cutting boards on each side for double workspace

LMAO!!! Oh, come now. Sterling's tent is not all that bad. LOL... I've seen worse. :rolleyes: Both larger tents with more stuff in it and looking like an F5 tornado went through it.

~Lady B

Hell, I HATE my tent, the only thing that it is good for is that fact that it does indeed help shelter all them wot have no place to stay in the crewe... If I could get a grand fer it, I'd sell it in a heartbeat... and get a smaller tent like Dutch's and then I would have a tremendous amount of space, because I don't haul around half the shite that Dutch does...

Crewe of the Archangel

LOL.... Sterling, I wish I had a larger tent. A marquis most likely to house some folks, a couple more cots, and the slew of chests and trunks, etc. All I have is a 6 by 7 by 6 Rev War style bell back. It's getting too small. But standard for the portrayal. These smaller tents haven't the room to hold campaign furniture. Mine can hold the cot and a couple of the chests with the rugs down, but that be it. The rest of my chests and trunks remain outside and hope at least that it doesn't rain. Gotta see about getting a smaller rainproof canvas to drape over the chests.

I know I'd fancy a large waterproof canvas fly where campaign furniture can sit comfortably under (chairs, tables, etc) and be out of the sun and rain.

I'd most definitely would love to make some of my current furniture transportable/collapsable cause they would work for period pieces.

~Lady B

oy sterling, the trailer did not bottom out till you arrived with TWO loads of gear- granted only one was yors- rest being the belongings on one DDogge. Heck, my original packing had me down to the bell tent, my small chest, and a sea bag. then plans changed- for the better mind you- and grace was able to attend after all. While i'm able to travel lightly, i must pay my dues to the master of small loads Mr. Hand. I saw it but still cant figure out how he manages to pack that lightly for a week. there is no comparisson.

now back to topic. I ran across a book in the library dealing with Mr. Jeffersons inventions. there are a few pages dedicated to his furniture. while not period, it does give some good examples of his multipurpose gear. Most interesting and full of ideas.

While i'm able to travel lightly, i must pay my dues to the master of small loads Mr. Hand. I saw it but still cant figure out how he manages to pack that lightly for a week. there is no comparisson.

Obviously you had a camp upwind of 'im...

Just kidding, this year, anyway. Last year it was a bit warmer and you could calculate direction and distance to Patrick just using the prevailing wind.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Believe it or not, when just hauling fer me and the snotties, I can actually fit everything in the durango(and on it)...(although now that I acquired some barrels will have to take the ram) But I help out by hauling things fer the crewe sometimes.... since I go to almost all the events, it would make sense fer me to eventually get another trailer and just haul crewe members' stuff as well... tis nice to have the fancy furniture, but in most cases I wonder if pirates would have all that stuff and why bother taking it off the ship in the first place unless yer careening her... now for our civilians some pieces would make a whole lot of sense... but perhaps not campaign furniture... right then, I'm being ar again

Crewe of the Archangel

oy sterling, the trailer did not bottom out till you arrived with TWO loads of gear- granted only one was yors- rest being the belongings on one DDogge.

:P

i still dont know how you got the "burden" of stowin my gear.....i have my own trailer...for my own stuff....believe me...this will not happen again. i apologize for any and all trouble this seems to have caused you.

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

i still dont know how you got the "burden" of stowin my gear.....i have my own trailer...for my own stuff....believe me...this will not happen again. i apologize for any and all trouble this seems to have caused you.

Hey M.A. d'Dogge, if mean old "One-Eye" is going to give you a hard time, you can rely on les Souris to help cart your crap.... :P Although you will have to sign liability waiver in case it all doesn't get returned... :P

Back on topic though, wasn't there a really good thread about chest some time ago? With lots of images from period paintings and such? Perhaps digging that one up and if we are lucky and the images are still there....

Michael_banner.jpg

Ahoy Master Souris!

Would this be th' thread ye speak of?

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=5771

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org