campaign furniture

Dutchman

the airmatress is nothing!! im tellin ya. im not kidding when i tell the story about the air conditioner in the tent. my better half enjoys her comfort!!! it amazed the buggers out of me. the worst part was it took me a few minutes to find the bloody thing- she had it well hidden. unfortunately, in four to six weeks i'll be relegated to sleeping on the floor as she will have found something new to cuddle up to.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/trade/ships.html

We need to make ready that little port side town of yers Dutchie... so some of this stuff would actual work in a proper setting.

geeze I need to get some sleep

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

buggars sterling!!!!! now i'll have to do some searching through that site. taking a good look at that tent picture- little is actually campaign furniture. the crates and tables are nice, but the rest would be a bear- plus its a sales booth-not a camping set up. price tags i'm afraid. but it is still mighty fine furnishings to drool over.

apparently the museum found our first building. its moving in sometime over the winter. the seaport may come to life after all! its an old smokehouse and i'm not sure what kind of shape its in or how big- but atleast its a start. i'm hopefully going to meet up with a few of the museum folks this week.

Saw that same exact tent get up at Cantigny in Wheaton, Illinois a couple years back and you can't image how many of us absolutely drooled over desiring such an elaborate and large outfitted tent with fine items. Especially the furniture.

Indeed it's very nice stuff.

I did some searching of collapsing furniture for Rev War a couple years ago as the canvas get ups that were everywhere were deemed not so Rev War. I did read a couple places that there were folding chairs of wood with leather seats. It's tough trying to find a survivng piece.

Only closest example is the ones on the HMS Victory in which Jas Townsend has recreated. But I don't know how close to period proper those chairs are to the GAoP.

Those furnishings are mighty nice but aye, mighty expensive.

Occassionally I find something that's not collapsing furniture. Such as a bowback chair with a brace. Was lucky with that one but needs to be repaired. Obtained it for 3 dollars.

Lady B

Edited by LadyBarbossa

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hey looks like Bob and Ted's excellent tent adventure... we need to get them down to PiP to play Merchants along with Mary Diamond... the rest of us can stand around and drool...

Bill & Ted. Ted has bowed to me ...okay it was for my powerful snoring but he WILL remember me that's for sure. I have Bill's email address. Emailed it to you Capn'. ...err Sterling.

Ah, gotcha now Silkie... thanks

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

buggars sterling!!!!! now i'll have to do some searching through that site. taking a good look at that tent picture- little is actually campaign furniture. the crates and tables are nice, but the rest would be a bear- plus its a sales booth-not a camping set up. price tags i'm afraid. but it is still mighty fine furnishings to drool over.

Now Dutch, we know folks that don't have their tent set up as a furniture store... and these guys are bloody amazing... hopefully we can get some research, ideas, and pictures from em...

Crewe of the Archangel

Hey looks like Bob and Ted's excellent tent adventure... we need to get them down to PiP to play Merchants along with Mary Diamond... the rest of us can stand around and drool...

Bill & Ted.

They have an incredible collection of stuff, that's for sure. And massive trailers to move it around in. And they are both really cool guys who like a good day's fightin'.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

And their hospitality was unending... glad I could lend them Bess, to serve and wash up afterwards... snigger

Crewe of the Archangel

Agreed.

And what I didn't know is that Bill is an accomplished maker of muskets. At the last event, he had this most amazing snaphaunce that he was using. It was huge. And really, really nice. I asked him where he got it, and he told me that he made it. Whoa! He said he was always handy with metal working, but he used to be hesitant to do woodworking. Evidently Ted broke him of that. I'm not sure, but Ted my make alot of their furniture, though some of it may be antiques. I know some of the accessories are. Bill's wife has the most excellent collection of tea-related items, including a period tea transport box, as I recall.

My Home on the Web

sterling, i've heard of the amazing furniture tent of bill and teds and cant wait to see it sometime. does anyone know when they will be setting up sometime? the observation was at that particular tent----with the pricetags on stuff.

sterling, i've heard of the amazing furniture tent of bill and teds and cant wait to see it sometime. does anyone know when they will be setting up sometime? the observation was at that particular tent----with the pricetags on stuff.

They have a website:

http://www.coloniallivinghistory.org/

http://www.coloniallivinghistory.org/about.asp

They also have a list of events, but it appears to be thru '08.

We're going to make the Lockhouse Nov '09 a two-day event and hope to have them back again.

My Home on the Web

A great example of space saving function and form from the 1600s...

...an oak hutchtable which serves as a chair or table.

There is an image of that in one of the ".... of the American Revolution" books, but it is in black and white... How ever did you find a colour copy of that photo? Ahh.... Never mind, thanks for sharing it!!!

Wife has some decent photos on her old Flickr account of 17th century furniture we took at the Royal Ontario museum a year or so ago, I can't find the link, but maybe I will get her to post that later. Now granted most of the furniture is permanent furniture (chest f drawers and other non-portable stuff) but it may be of interest for style etc.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'd say invite them to Blackbeards, but damn, they won't fit...

Crewe of the Archangel

came across this site a couple of days ago"http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/sca/campstuff.html" i think these guy are more in the gaop then the rev war furniture. i have read in a book about the defeat of the armada how the spanish admiral sat his canvas chair on deck and watched the battle. anyone have any thoughts on how that chair may have looked?

The smoke and fire furniture patterns caught my eye a couple years ago. Haven't obtained the patterns yet.

~Lady B

The smoke and fire furniture patterns caught my eye a couple years ago. Haven't obtained the patterns yet.

~Lady B

I've got the Smoke and Fire pattern for the trestle table with collapsable benches that all bundles into a chest. I don't believe there is any actual historic provinance for it, but it does have a VERY period look and feel to it... That and it is very functional and useful. I'd highly recommend that pattern for anyone who is willing to comprimise a bit of historic accuracy for practicality.

Michael_banner.jpg

:::shrugs::: hard to say, Michael.

My step dad has an antique collapsable table that is early 20th c but not sure how close to 18th c it is. One of these days I'll have to get a pic of it. But it's close to the folding tables pattern.

The folding tables, bed, trunks, and the camp kitchen is what caught my eye. Oh, and the carts and wheels, too.

Just need to get that one bowback chair with the brace repaired. It works good now but the brace and the bowback is a little out of the spokes. Just bulky for vehicle travel.

~Lady B

The folding tables, bed, trunks, and the camp kitchen is what caught my eye. Oh, and the carts and wheels, too.

I just picked up the cart pattern last time I was up at Smoke and Fire.... I'm just patiently abiding my time until April or May until the weather turns nice again and then I can put one together.

Michael_banner.jpg

Lucky.

Eventually will obtain those patterns. My uncle has a woodworking shop and asking him if I can make these items here. He makes captain's beds, loft beds, etc.

Would love the wagons and carts for the Rev War events. Make it look more like we rolled in for real instead of just... appearing.

~Lady B

~Lady B

I've got the Smoke and Fire pattern for the trestle table with collapsable benches that all bundles into a chest. I don't believe there is any actual historic provinance for it, but it does have a VERY period look and feel to it... That and it is very functional and useful. I'd highly recommend that pattern for anyone who is willing to comprimise a bit of historic accuracy for practicality.

We have one of those tables too. heavy and bulky to move, but very handy once set up. It is the "kid-zone' in camp.

I have the American Heritage library books on Colonial Furniture and I will be stuck inside today. (freezing rain/ice/flurries etc.) I'll see what is in there on early stuff.

Bo

My William and Mary tuckaway table, based on actual tables of the period ~ a scratched together attempt, to verify the concept. Currently working on a more correct Cherry version, with hand cut legs. Those of you who were at PiP this year may have seen it.

9a941fa5.jpg

2705ec04.jpg

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

That one is called a "Handkerchief" table in the Colonial Antiques book. The chair William showed is there in B/W as stated earlier, and is said to have had a drawer under the seat originally. I have not looked at these two books much since aquiring them. (They are dangerous!) Nothing that can be called "campaign furniture" though. If you ever get the chance to pick up these books, DO IT! [The American Heritage History of Colonial America, (two books), Thirteen Colonies, and Colonial Antiques] Massive amount of history and images of furniture and other houshold goods from 1650 to 1800. Highly recommended!

Bo