campaign furniture

Dutchman

Thanks to Sutler Jon I have obtained a good number of camp items for around our tent. The chest that I purchased was very nice, and the size was perfect for all of my most important items to be stowed away. I really need one that is larger for my non-pc items that need to be at the ready, but out of sight. I'll be contacting the good Sutler for it. I also have tables and chairs from him as well, they were in the front of our tent and worked beautifully. Fine work indeed! BTW- the chest is drying beautifully, as the wood was so fresh it was still seeping a bit. It is doing well. I found that the camp furniture that John built was also very functional, as it all folds up for storage or travel. I will try to post a picture of it this weekend.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across this. 1640's Bible Box (Nautical Desk) belonging to Royal Governor Alexander Spotswood of Virginia.

BibleDesk1.jpg

Carving on desk top. Reveals the letters H S & E (unclear when this was added and what the significance). The bible/nautical box itself was manufactured in England c.1640's. The stand was added afterwards in America (by American craftsmen) in the early 1700's.

bibledeskcarving.jpg

Desk hinge with hand hewn nails (rose head nails), notice the circular ink jar stain (ring)

bibledeskhingewithhandhewnnails.jpg

frontface.jpg

The mirror is a 20th century addition.

bibledeskinside.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I've been looking at a lot of desks and I come across two types all of the time. The 'slant front' or 'slope front' desk which hinges at the top and the 'drop front' or 'drop leaf' desk which hinges at the bottom. I have found a lot more 'drop front' desks, and I can easily see why, as a slant front desk (hinged at the top) would be murder on fingers every time the lid came down. This would be especially true in rough seas.

Here is a drop front (drop leaf) desk of 1710.

desk-where-telegram.jpg

And one of 1709.

desk_2.JPG

inside%20desk_0.jpg

In the book "The Restoration Warship" by Richard Endsor there is a picture of a gateleg style oval table like the one pictured below that was recovered from the wreck of the Stirling Castle that sank in 1703. It belonged to the Gunner and was one of a number that were issued to the officers and high ranking members of the crew. There is a 1690 contract with Henry Ward from the Navy that mentions tables such as these being supplied to the boat yards in Chatham, UK (Interestingly the same guy also made 20 Hencoops).

GatelegTable.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

In the book "The Restoration Warship" by Richard Endsor there is a picture of a gateleg style oval table like the one pictured below that was recovered from the wreck of the Stirling Castle that sank in 1703. It belonged to the Gunner and was one of a number that were issued to the officers and high ranking members of the crew. There is a 1690 contract with Henry Ward from the Navy that mentions tables such as these being supplied to the boat yards in Chatham, UK (Interestingly the same guy also made 20 Hencoops).

GatelegTable.jpg

We need a pattern of that.

Not a bad likeness...

oc_1493_occ_gateleg_table_vin_side.jpg

A seller in the UK... http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/dining-tables/farmhouse-pine-farmhouse-oval-gateleg-pine-dining-table-915-073w.asp

William,

Ron Fritz has a Google sketch-up model of a very similar table here: http://creeksidewoodshop.com/Creeksidewoodshop-Drawings/Tables/Drawings-Tables.html

Or one can purchase complete plans for £6 here: http://www.plansclub.com/Woodworking%20%27Information%20Store%27/Furniture%20Plans/gatelegtableplan.php

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

Don't forget that the ships tables had a single drawer in it too. A lot of the modern ones don't come with that option.

The originals were made of Oak and had a Deal(?) wood top

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

Another great example of early ships furniture is the officers chest found aboard the 1676 wreck of the Swedish ship Kronan

image1_14f9b0feec7f3ca28e275afebb2f4af8.jpgimage2_cc04fe70acaf9afc4d5582050e0976df.jpg

http://www.kalmarlan...art_art-s1/1649

The first picture seems to show one of the large hinged door panels that would have closed to hold all the drawers in place when in transit. (I used to own a similar tool makers cabinet but much larger).

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

GatelegTable.jpg

That is virtually identical to my kitchen table - awesome!

(My kitchen table has fewer drawers and more dog-damage)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

They come up on ebay now and then for next to nothing but they are always collection only and always way to far away to collect. I missed one in Liverpool last year because I was saving for a boat which I didnt win in the end either.

bannerad.jpg

GatelegTable.jpg

That is virtually identical to my kitchen table - awesome!

(My kitchen table has fewer drawers and more dog-damage)

There could have been well be dog- damage in real gaop furniture as well ;) ( and in present day... oh my home's poor doors...)

I dare to say that in this picture's table is quite similar to this (but there is the tablecloth so we will never know) http://i.telegraph.c...90_1716746c.jpg

Really beautiful furniture here great posts keep up the good work there.

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I never noticed that before but yes it could well be the same table. I have seen chairs similar to that too.

They are known as Queen Anne style chairs and you can come across modern reproductions quite easily.

6-queen-anne-oak-chair.jpg

Looking closely at the picture of the chair under the dog it seems to have a cane work or rattan style seat rather than the cushioned leather or fabric seats that are more common. This one from a later period has a similar seat configuration:

511.jpg

You can actually buy modern folding versions of the Queen Anne chairs :

Queen-Anne-Folding-Chairb.gifQueen-Anne-Folding-Chair1.gif

http://furniturefort.com/Chairs/Queen-Anne-Folding-Chair.php

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

I have some chairs like that in my kitchen too...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Next big event will be held in Foxe's kitchen!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've actually written to Christopher Clarke directly with questions about a few period items. They're great. I've seen a number of 'campaign furniture' suppliers that have nothing of 'the sea', which is one of the primary forms of travel for campaigns, so Christopher Clarke is more well rounded in what they offer.

I want the sea trunk they have in stock.

80526.jpg

Yeah, I liked that too... Mission or any of the other doc/apocathery types might like that "medical measuring cups" that were displayed there too.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

Yeah, I liked that too... Mission or any of the other doc/apocathery types might like that "medical measuring cups" that were displayed there too.

The medicine glass is interesting, indeed, but later period. (Not quite as late as I'd have guessed, though.)

They have neat leather fire buckets, although, again, later period.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 months later...

I have done numerous searches for portable kitchens, campaign kitchens, galleys on the go, whatever, that I've missed a very important piece of furniture from the period.

Chests on stands.

I've mistaken so may of these for dressers, that it never occured to me how many of them are two piece furniture items consisting of a 'chest' seated on a matching 'stand' of legs. Now that I know what I'm looking at I'm finding all sorts of chests on stands and cabinets on stands from the period. Examples...

Oak chest on stand.

Oak-Chest-17th-Century-On-Stand-Of-Late-17th-Century.jpg

17th century chest on stand...

79898.jpg

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I've found sugar chests, rum chests, sea chests, medicine cabinets, and treasure chests all standing on matching 'stands'. Even the 'nautical desk' I posted on the previous page is nothing more than a writing desk modified with a 'stand'. We may be one step closer to a portable kitchen and other elusive campaign furniture of the Golden Age.