campaign furniture

Dutchman

oy sterling, the trailer did not bottom out till you arrived with TWO loads of gear- granted only one was yors- rest being the belongings on one DDogge.

;)

i still dont know how you got the "burden" of stowin my gear.....i have my own trailer...for my own stuff....believe me...this will not happen again. i apologize for any and all trouble this seems to have caused you.

;)

How do ye pull a trailer when yer flying?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oy sterling, the trailer did not bottom out till you arrived with TWO loads of gear- granted only one was yors- rest being the belongings on one DDogge.

;)

i still dont know how you got the "burden" of stowin my gear.....i have my own trailer...for my own stuff....believe me...this will not happen again. i apologize for any and all trouble this seems to have caused you.

;)

Actually the heavy stuff belonged to the Mistress...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

agreed

Crewe of the Archangel

dogge- just funnin ya mate. that darned trailer needs to be beefed up. we were well below the safe weight, but the springs on that thing aren't for beans. at one point the tires were riding on the wells. i'm ordering a new set the first of the year. hopefully that shall resolve our issues.

seachest(W).JPG

Chest open.

I've posted this before, but for documentation purposes it doesn't get much better than this, the chest of Alexander Selkirk. The item ID is below.

Online ID: 000-190-000-838-C

Image Rights Holder: National Museums Scotland

Project: 0098: National Museums Scotland

Project description | View all records in project

Ref: National Museums Scotland H.NT 7

Date: 1704 - 1709

17th or 18th century

Material:

Dimensions: 610 mm x 457 mm x 914 mm

What: Sea chest

Subject: Miscellaneous (NMAS Classification)

Who: Alexander Selkirk (Owner)

Robinson Crusoe

Where: Chile, Juan Fernandez Islands

Scotland, Fife, Lower Largo | NO 415 025

Event:

Description:

References: Keay, J. & J. (eds). Collins Encyclopaedia of Scotland. London: HarperCollins, 1994, p 861.

Translations:

Related Records: Pathfinder Pack on Selkirk [Alexander Selkirk (1676 - 1721)]

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Believe it or not, when just hauling fer me and the snotties, I can actually fit everything in the durango(and on it)...(although now that I acquired some barrels will have to take the ram) But I help out by hauling things fer the crewe sometimes.... since I go to almost all the events, it would make sense fer me to eventually get another trailer and just haul crewe members' stuff as well... tis nice to have the fancy furniture, but in most cases I wonder if pirates would have all that stuff and why bother taking it off the ship in the first place unless yer careening her... now for our civilians some pieces would make a whole lot of sense... but perhaps not campaign furniture... right then, I'm being ar again

Hey Dutch have you counted our barrels lately?

Actually Dutch had my flag for about four days, when he gave it back, I never even noticed it had gone missing... as to barrels, the only one that went was one of mine and at the last minute we had to leave it behind... the Mistress packed so many clothes that the trailer just could not handle the barrel as well.... <_<

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Actually Dutch had my flag for about four days, when he gave it back, I never even noticed it had gone missing...

Nigel'd get whipped for that!! Then again I've taken a lashing or two for letting it accidentally drag the ground...which I hate to even admit out loud ...."OUCH" "I just said it I didn't do it again" ---OK so I guess even saying it is a sin.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

the flag was in retaliation for numerous inner crew squabblings- but was indeed well deserved!!!!!! as to the barrels, pern if i had my way i'd give them every last one of those heavy miserable oversized things and be done with them! Don't even get me started- actually good point- i'll bring it up AGAIN at the next meeting.

now onto important stuff. Jim, i had not seen that one before. she's a sweetie!!!!! oh to have that in the camp!!

Jim, that is a great image! Wish I could see more details. It looks as if the hasp is designed to insert into the right hand keyhole and fastened by locking it with a key through the left hand keyhole. Never seen that before. I cannot tell how it is joined by the photos though. Pegged, dovetailed, or screws/nails? The one I put together for PiP this year was a kit from hobby lobby or michaels, (I don't remember which) it was laying around forever here. Any thoughts on that? I think I have my design for the 10th anniversary chest though!

Bo

it looks to be dovetailed. if you look very carefully at the right and left front edge i think i can make out board thickness' (the end grains stained and aged differently) and on the opposing 90 degree right side, indicating dove tails. on the back right if you use the white as a contrast, it seems to have spaced differences in the wood. this could come from that corner knocking into things over time and different pieces of the joints and tennons chipping off or upon really close view, pixal distortion.

what an intersting box. domed lid, unique lock. for such a sizeable and prominent lock compared to box size something is not matching. The hinges. I can see darker color spots on the back side of the lid evenly spaced from the ends, but thats about it.

now onto important stuff. Jim, i had not seen that one before. she's a sweetie!!!!! oh to have that in the camp!!

Dated to 1704-1709. 36x24x18, just a tad larger than the one I had at PiP. Some things to look at: the hinges, or lack thereof. I think these are snipe hinges:

823.jpg

Installed this way (Thanks to Horton Brasses for the photographs) :

snipehinge.gif

Horton also has a chest lock:

1644.jpg

The fellow on the left marked TL-3 is nice, 4 1/2 x 5 1/4 but it's $400.00

Perhaps modify this one from Shenandoah, 3 1/2 x 2 3/4, only $72.00:

SR12002-148x173.jpg

I've never been able to find any pictures that are better than these and entreaties the the museum went unanswered. I, too, think that it is dovetailed. Notice no handles, as the overhanging ends provide a grip area. The interior shot shows that it has a lidded till permanently located on the left side. Also notice that the top does not appear coopered, but is one thick piece of wood that has been arched on top. That would seem to make for a heavy chest, but does account for the rather large bolt/rivet heads on the top.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

wow, the lid open puts it all into perspective. the lock is actually not that big or out of proportion for the box. the hinges are of the variety jim showed. notice how the till lid was used to keep the box lid from falling. a dangerous move and is the reason why so many remaining boxes tills do not have lids.

I read somewhere once that it was made of camphor wood, a relatively light, strong but brittle wood that has natural insect repelling properties, not an unusual choice at the time. Now to find a supplier of camphor wood lumber 24 inches wide...located the hardware...outer surface paint?

Which reminds me: the interior is unfinished, which would support the argument that it is camphor as does the thickness of the top. Camphor would need to be thicker to support weight and the lock hasp because of it's inherent brittleness.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

I just picked up a whole new load of Cypress maybe I'll give it a shot.

When you get a chance ask Fayma if she'll show you a picture of her chest...wait.. the chest she got from me at PiP.

Thanks for braggin' bout the table and stools and etc, you got from me at KW.

I know a lot of my campaign furniture isn't totally accurate but it is highly portable!

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

i would lean more towards a stain or oil than paint. turpentine and linseed oil most likely, maybe a bit of pine tar for the right smell.

Right, Paint was the wrong term; I meant "finish." Them damn words....

3ff66f1f.jpg

... tis nice to have the fancy furniture, but in most cases I wonder if pirates would have all that stuff and why bother taking it off the ship in the first place unless yer careening her... now for our civilians some pieces would make a whole lot of sense... but perhaps not campaign furniture... right then, I'm being ar again

Yo'r being what again?

I like yo'r way o' thinkin', Sterling. Hell, if I like it, I'd keep it. And what old furniture I had that broke or don't want, the broken would be used fo' firewood an' the good, usable yet no longer wanted would be... sold, to some sort of means. :D

Hell, I still have to look at Campaign furniture anyway for Rev War though. :::groans::: it's a hell of a process. I hate the canvas knockups.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

from a secondary source

by 1690......the rich forests remained practically untouched, Virginians and Marylanders preferring to import their chairs, tables, chests, cart-wheels, and even their birchen brooms. -philip a bruce Economic History of Virginia in the Seventeenth Century- 1895.

Based on this and notes from a class i took in williamsburg last winter on 18th century woodworking which in short points this out untill F&I era. I would be comfortable to say that furniture could easily be aboard a prize ship. now wether kept, traded, burned, sold,used for target practice, who knows.

*edit- now as for careening. cargo would want to be unloaded in port then careened. an emergency careening for repairs requires everything possible to go over.

Edited by bbcddutchman

ahhh... the lovely rule of the Crown. ;)

Oooo, dutch.... I heard about those seminars on the woodworking. They looked absolutely fascinating. I think this year they were gonna work on a bed or take a closer look at a period bed. :::whimpers:::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!