I was looking at JAS Townsend

hellfirehannah

And saw a couple of peices of clothing that look like it might work for my pirate gear & I wanted ya'lls impression on them. Basically I would like to know if they would be good for period or not. I think they would be but a second(or third) opinion is always nice.

this one

& this one.

Let me know as I'll seriously consider them if they would work.

siggy.jpg

the shirt will do, but you can find a better example for the short coat. the problem with townsend is like expecting a three piece suit from megamart to be custom tailored- not going to happen and you end up looking generic which is fine for military, but defeats pirates creativity.

Ghost Forge has better fitting items than Jas. Townsend. Townsend is great for the items, the clothes I have heard from a couple other people are of mild quality/just ok. Ghost Forge be better. Otherwise, G. Gedney Godwin has some 17th c clothing, too. Check it out though. I'm not sure of the quality, I've not seen it nor have I heard reviews of it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I've seen this Jas coat and shirt and it's not bad. Of course it was being used for Colonial period sailors. The people I saw wearing them looked well fitted in them. Can you sew? That shirt is simple to make and takes 30 minutes total from cutting to sewing, you could make it out of some nice linen. The pattern is free online at Costumers manifesto..The coat is easy as well and is not far off from RH patterns aside from the cuffs and the saucer size buttons.

I would request a swatch like James said, this way you know if the material is ok for you..

Perhaps we can see some examples of other peoples own Short coats and what shirts they are wearing for our time period? Some pics of you in your Shirt and short coat and how you came about owning them?

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I have the jacket and slops from Townsend, turned over to my son since I got my RH jacket though. Hers a shot of the jacket, sorry, it is the only one I have;

shoreparty.jpg

I have put this photo up enough that everyone should be sick of it by now, but here is my RH shortjacket;

pyrate2.jpg

I have decided that slops are NOT for me. Fly front breeches are my thing. I may try the venitian trousers later for boucaneer though. After working in maintenence around machinery most of my life, floppy trousers are just a sin to my safety training ingrained through all the years. I can't put it aside for some reason.

Bo

Thanks for the imput it'll come in handy when I actually have some money to add onto my gear.

I would sew a shirt or jacket myself if I could sew, but I cannot...though I do have a machine, I just need to learn to use it.*laugh*

RH? Reconstructing History I assume?

Thanks again for the time. If'n I have any more questions I'll make sure to ask.

siggy.jpg

the shirt will do, but you can find a better example for the short coat. the problem with townsend is like expecting a three piece suit from megamart to be custom tailored- not going to happen and you end up looking generic which is fine for military, but defeats pirates creativity.

Townsend has done really well for me. They do allow you to send specific measurements and will check with you before the do anything if they think somethings wrong. I do agree that for military specs they would be the ones to go to, but pirates didn't have things custom made anyway, so I don't see a problem.

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

I have the jacket and slops from Townsend, turned over to my son since I got my RH jacket though. Hers a shot of the jacket, sorry, it is the only one I have;

shoreparty.jpg

I have put this photo up enough that everyone should be sick of it by now, but here is my RH shortjacket;

pyrate2.jpg

I have decided that slops are NOT for me. Fly front breeches are my thing. I may try the venitian trousers later for boucaneer though. After working in maintenence around machinery most of my life, floppy trousers are just a sin to my safety training ingrained through all the years. I can't put it aside for some reason.

Bo

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

I made it from an old garden plow rear tine (the walking kind), sheet metal and a hardwood flag standard. It looks good from a distance, but I am less than pleased with the overall appearance. I am still working on improved versions that are better suited for re-enacting. this one is really too sharp to bring out to events. I made it in hopes of actually hunting feral hogs, which has yet to happen.

Bo

Just something to add that I found funny. I love this guy's shop and everything he supplies. That being said.

Do any of you own a printed catalogue? I was looking through it one day and noticed that he models most of the clothing and other types of accessories himself. Page after page it was him and him alone.

By the time I got to the women's section I was half hoping he would be modeling them too.

"Half hoping" is a key phrase though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Thequartermaster

Aye. I get the catalog each year and greatly look forward to receiving it.

True, he does model most of the men's clothes. I don't recall who that be that models the ladies attire.

But they do have some awesome stuff. I've greatly enjoyed their linen thread. It's held up to quite a bit. I've used it on almost all my outfits. Even bought their tent which I'm rather pleased with. Oh, and their ladies shoes; very nice.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Did anyone else get the new calendar/catalog for 2009? They really had some fun doing it looks like. I also wanted to mention the 1750's long waistcoat in linen looks really good, and they now offer different linen colors, Add four more buttons to the front and it really looks in-period too. just a thought.

Bo

Did anyone else get the new calendar/catalog for 2009? They really had some fun doing it looks like. I also wanted to mention the 1750's long waistcoat in linen looks really good, and they now offer different linen colors, Add four more buttons to the front and it really looks in-period too. just a thought.

Bo

I got the "Caladog" or Catelander." It made me want to camp with them.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Bo

I got the "Caladog" or Catelander." It made me want to camp with them.

Me too ! Its got a place in our office already.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thanks for the imput it'll come in handy when I actually have some money to add onto my gear.

I would sew a shirt or jacket myself if I could sew, but I cannot...though I do have a machine, I just need to learn to use it.*laugh*

Thanks again for the time. If'n I have any more questions I'll make sure to ask.

When I started reenacting about a year and half ago, I didn't know how to sew. Now all of my clothes are handmade (except for a few shirts). GAoP clothes, at least working men's clothes, seem like the perfect clothes to learn on. The patterns are fairly simple and the garments are easy to put together. I haven't put together a frock coat so I can't speak to all those crazy pleats, but short jackets, shirts, and slope hose are actually fairly easy now.

Another thing you can do is make the first run out of cotton (and if you go to walmart you can find $1 a yard cotton - I think patrick hand has talked about this elsewhere.) if the garment comes out messed up, you can learn from it and it's still fairly inexpensive. It you do it right, you can do the next one in 100% correct materials even better, and you have a natural fiber backup in case of emergencies.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Thanks for the pictures Capt. Bo they are a great help. I have to ask what weight is the coat made out of? I am currently eyeballing some 9oz per yard weight wool, but am trying to determine if that might be too heavy.

When I started reenacting about a year and half ago, I didn't know how to sew. Now all of my clothes are handmade (except for a few shirts). GAoP clothes, at least working men's clothes, seem like the perfect clothes to learn on. The patterns are fairly simple and the garments are easy to put together. I haven't put together a frock coat so I can't speak to all those crazy pleats, but short jackets, shirts, and slope hose are actually fairly easy now.

Another thing you can do is make the first run out of cotton (and if you go to walmart you can find $1 a yard cotton - I think patrick hand has talked about this elsewhere.) if the garment comes out messed up, you can learn from it and it's still fairly inexpensive. It you do it right, you can do the next one in 100% correct materials even better, and you have a natural fiber backup in case of emergencies.

Sounds great. Now I just need to figure out the sewing machine for starters then work on hand sewing later....like when the kids are older and not as likely to destroy what I might be working on. LOL.

Edited by hellfirehannah
siggy.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Capt. Bo they are a great help. I have to ask what weight is the coat made out of? I am currently eyeballing some 9oz per yard weight wool, but am trying to determine if that might be too heavy.

Sounds great. Now I just need to figure out the sewing machine for starters then work on hand sewing later....like when the kids are older and not as likely to destroy what I might be working on. LOL.

9 oz weight wool is LIGHT!!! Heck a medium weight linen is usually in the 5 to 7 oz per yard range... Most re-enactment weight wool is in the 11 to 15 oz per yard range. Coat weight wools tend to be in the 16 to 22 oz per yard range.

That said, lighter wools did exist, I have made a number of garments of lighter weight wool, and LOVE it, specially in the hotter months when most events are happenning.

Is your source limited? Or would you be willing to share? I'm always on the lookout for new sources of wool.

Michael_banner.jpg

9 oz weight wool is LIGHT!!! Heck a medium weight linen is usually in the 5 to 7 oz per yard range... Most re-enactment weight wool is in the 11 to 15 oz per yard range. Coat weight wools tend to be in the 16 to 22 oz per yard range.

That said, lighter wools did exist, I have made a number of garments of lighter weight wool, and LOVE it, specially in the hotter months when most events are happenning.

Is your source limited? Or would you be willing to share? I'm always on the lookout for new sources of wool.

Its ebay admittedly but it gives me ideas. I also located a lovely heather grey wool at my local Joanns for about 17.00 a yard and have no idea on the wieght per yard I'll have to swing back by this weekend and ask.It did seem rather heavy though, might be nice for fall when MN ren fest runs(as I've yet to make a pirate fest, though I fully intend to change that someday soon)

http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/items/Sewing-F...286Q2ec0Q2em282

siggy.jpg