Searle's Raid

michaelsbagley

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright.... I need ladies attire.... I was debating going native (as there is MUCH less sewing to do), but current Florida law frowns on native attire :)

So, what the heck should I be shooting for here? I see the plate you added Sterling, but for the life of me I don't think I'm up to that large of a sewing project yet.....

Think these would work?

bodicedgown.gif

stays.gif

mantua.gif

They're 1670 - early 1700s. This is why I don't do PC... I am bothered that they are 2 to 10 years too late (1668 being the event date)..... I suppose these will do though, huh?

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

This one would also work....

bodicepetticote.gif

The advantage of the short coat and skirt is that you can get away with NOT wearing stays as long as you keep the jacket buttoned up. That means less work in the short term, and then you can work on your stays in a more leisurely time frame.

I personally like the bodiced gown second most for the earlier time frame. The mantua is probably my favourite of the three, but I tend to view it as a later period thing....

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey Diosa-

I have been working on a chocolate brown linen bodiced gown for the past few months....and have been working on it very slowly, mind you. It's really not so bad to make....the boning channels take some time to sew, but since they aren't seen, sewing them on a machine makes rather quick work of it!

That and I think you would look lovely in one. Let Mickey and I know if you need any help/advice. We will do what we can!

Kate

Banner.jpg

Amanjaria,

This should help for the look. In doing he research, it seems the sleeves were shorter in the earlier part of the period, then got longer as the decades stretched on. The coat is a cassock, you can see it here.

http://www.cwu.edu/~robinsos/ppages/resour...restoration.htm

-- Hurricane

(stealing Diosa's account for a moment).

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Hey Diosa-

I have been working on a chocolate brown linen bodiced gown for the past few months....and have been working on it very slowly, mind you. It's really not so bad to make....the boning channels take some time to sew, but since they aren't seen, sewing them on a machine makes rather quick work of it!

That and I think you would look lovely in one. Let Mickey and I know if you need any help/advice. We will do what we can!

Kate

I am going silk....and going to do the embroidery and embellishments myself.... so this could take a while :) Mine is also in the brown spectrum (as I generally wear brown or black and since black is out....I went with a black/gold/peach spectrum. This will be a dressy one for me. I do have a set of stays (reversible nonetheless) that I can wear during 'working' hours and then be a lady at night or whenever I get sick of working and want everyone else to do it "I'm wearing a silk gown, you'll have to do that"...

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

That sounds like a plan to me, Diosa. I have some lovely silk brocade that someone bought for me last Christmas that is going to be my fancy bodiced gown...though I don't know if it will be finished in time or if I will bring it if it is finished! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Banner.jpg

well after reviewing the requi's for the event i am at this point certainly NOT going on account that I have 3 other projects to finish /do and am trying to do as much resaerch as i can for a charecter to play as....besides that i am very sure that takeing more days off work that soon to pip may be a problem

also was looking for any one that can pm or post links to good sources of general and specific info for essentially 1600 to 1800

be trying like heck to find and all i find is the terrible ameri-editted history not real histories thanks!!

Cheers!

apologies to anyone who may feel that my previous post is putting a bad light on the event.

was not intended sound so harsh! quite the opposite actually since mickey and kate are planning on going ( and i have only tagged along with them)

i wanted to express that for many of my own reasons that i won't be able to go not that i don't want to go

sorry for any misunderstanding

Now more rum!

Cheers!

I am about 75% committed to go to searles at this point. do I need to get permision from a crew or guild to be a part?

Also, what are the priorities for necessities?

Tent?

Garb?

Footwear?

eating utensils?

mess kit? Cast iron OK?

toiletries?

stow gear? Cloth sacks? Can they stay in the encampment, or are we responsible for stowing and monitoring them throught the day/evening.

Do we bring in our own food or do we contribute into larger meals? Are the meals PC?

Will there be rum? SHould the rum I bring be in Kedgs or Leather Grenades?

this is th newbie curse. I be a floundering cod upon the deck with these questions. I 'll pledge ye my strong right arm to the one who sets me straight and true. So says I...

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

Capt Mickey, permision is not needed just a want to be there and enjoy, your tent needs to be period type canvas wedge is ok or a hammock, your garb should be close to 1668 or can be loaned to you, need to have your own eating utensils (i carve wood spoons)the cooking will be done by Melisa unless you have somthing special to cook yourself , food has been provided in the past , rum ,i can't remember seeing any rum there only wobble juice or nekid juice but you could bring some

I was just reading up on the breeches of the time. They are petticoat breeches. All are baggy, some have the two legs sewn together as one, much as a kilt. Some of the examples had up to 10 yards of material in them. Egad. Could use that as a tent on its own.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

In terms of breeches, I'd say some of the Venetian variety may work well for this event (check Sykes Sutlery...he has a good design for sale).

Captain Johnson (crewmate to William and Doug) posted something over here on the Raid/Sacking. Some of it is repeat information, but he provides good links folks can check into, and confirms the date of the event.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13848

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

This one would also work....

bodicepetticote.gif

The advantage of the short coat and skirt is that you can get away with NOT wearing stays as long as you keep the jacket buttoned up. That means less work in the short term, and then you can work on your stays in a more leisurely time frame.

I personally like the bodiced gown second most for the earlier time frame. The mantua is probably my favourite of the three, but I tend to view it as a later period thing....

The Mantua is nice but a little late for the period. Remember that any clothing and equiptment that were used over here and in and around the Islands would have ben a tad out of date by European standards. There are Spainish manifest from the Castillo that show Matchlock muskets and bandoliers were still being issued to the troops at the fort as late as 1699-1702.

So figure the 1630's fashion is about as early as you would want to go, and 1670 would be the max for the Justacorp. The waistcoat has A bit more leeway. When talking justacorps and great coats you start to get into different sleeve and turnback lengths, often changing several times in less than a 2 year period! Just my 2 cents.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

In terms of breeches, I'd say some of the Venetian variety may work well for this event (check Sykes Sutlery...he has a good design for sale).

Captain Johnson (crewmate to William and Doug) posted something over here on the Raid/Sacking. Some of it is repeat information, but he provides good links folks can check into, and confirms the date of the event.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13848

Searle's Raid will be on March 6-8 2009 at the Fountain of Youth park in St Augustine Florida. Please excuse the old info on the web site. The webmaster has been under the weather, this will be corrected shortly.

The website http://searlesbuccaneers.org/ still has a wealth of information pertaining to the Raid. You can find a history of the raid compiled from various sources from our event coordinator Mr. Davis Walker. There are also links for Rules and guide lines for the event. http://searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_Rules.htm.

If anyone is looking for period correct clothing please check out Sykes Sutlery.They carry really nice Monmouth caps. http://sykesutler.home.att.net/.

If anyone has any further questions please feel free to drop me an email. If you received a flyer at PIP from either Captain William Kunze, or Doug, my email address is there to. The good Captain sends his regrets for not getting this info out sooner but he is having computer "issues" at this time.

For the stories and rumored stories that may or may not have been told and are more than likely true , or not, I can neither confirm nor deny the validity , or lack thereof of anything that I did or did not witness in a sober or a druken state.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

To pick up a conversation that started on another thread...

Diosa and Hurricane, if you are able to (I don't know what the "season" or time of year is like for them), but if you can bring coconuts, I will happily cook Jamaican rice while at the Searle's Raid event. I'll bring a huge bag of rice and a good size bag of beans, they're both good on their own even if the coconuts aren't ripe(?) enough or available. As you mentioned, I will try and remember to remind you closer to the event.

Cheers!

Michael_banner.jpg

To pick up a conversation that started on another thread...

Diosa and Hurricane, if you are able to (I don't know what the "season" or time of year is like for them), but if you can bring coconuts, I will happily cook Jamaican rice while at the Searle's Raid event. I'll bring a huge bag of rice and a good size bag of beans, they're both good on their own even if the coconuts aren't ripe(?) enough or available. As you mentioned, I will try and remember to remind you closer to the event.

Cheers!

The tree seems to always have coconuts... but then again it is very possible that it will prove me wrong and have none when I need them :) I'll bring them if they are available. if not, I have a can of coconut milk in a pinch :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Hey folks -

Spoke with Cpt William, and am passing on some info with his blessing:

- If arriving Friday, that evening is a potluck of sorts, where folks are welcome to bring

food items (if they can) for everyone to partake in. (Michael - That may be the ideal evening to make

the yummy rice and beans concoction you've noted up there ^^).

- Saturday's meals (if you are dressed for the reenactment) will be prepared courtesy of Searle's

Buccanneers. That means breakfast, lunch and dinner.

- Black powder is also available to those who would need it.

He reiterated that folks should not don tricorns or bring their Jolly Roger flags, as neither are period accurate.

I also asked about cocked hats, and he noted those would be worn by officers.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Petticoat breeches are very much in order, I know that.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Just my little update.... making a reversible bodiced gown and am more than half way through it!!! woohoo!!! wow, those are time consuming with channels throughout... sheesh!!!

I am down to making the petticoat, doing the binding (which I am thinking of doing with regular ribbon and then embroidered accents) and then i'll be ready to go for Searles!....oh wait... then there's the lace edged chemise..... and then the silk dress(if I want to be a fancy girl) and then.... oh bloody hell, I have a lot of work left.... I have a feeling March will come too quickly.....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com