Searle's Raid

michaelsbagley

Thanks for the compliment sir, I'm blushing... java script:add_smilie(" :D ","smid_10")

As for the clothing list, good start.

Black would not have been a readily available color then. The dyes were expensive and it was hard to get a real black in fabric.

The boots... without getting into the larger (and often heated) discussion about bucket boots, they are allowed at Searle's, along with sandals and latchet shoes for men. Many of the re-enactors in the photos have bucket boots. I will have them as well there this year, so it won't be a problem.

Remember, buccaneers weren't sailors like pirates were. They were land fighters primarily. In fact, Henry Morgan ran three of his ships aground. He hated the sailing part and couldn't wait to get his forces on dry land since that's what they were trained for. Think army, not navy in this case.

That said, I think it's kind of funny that the buccaneers are the ones who did do the deck to deck attacks on ships, seized forts, sacked towns, had fleets of ships, and just about everything associated instead with those in the Golden Age, where the tactics and goals were much different. The lines have been blurred but I think there are some fundamental differences.

Buccaneers - in the truest sense, fought for king and country and never attacked their own country's ships or towns. Many of Morgan's attacks were meant to keep the Spanish at bay and out of Jamaica... preemptive attacks if you will. Sure, there was pay to be had and it was certainly part of the equation, but the operations had strategic reasons as well.

Pirates, on the other hand, were loyal only to themselves and their crewes for the most part... a big difference in philosophy. I know this is an over simplification and there are exceptions on both sides, but I wanted those who aren't familiar with buccaneers to have a sense of the basic differences.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good start.

Black would not have been a readily available color then. The dyes were expensive and it was hard to get a real black in fabric.

I did do some quick hemp research and found this.

gray-stripes.jpg

I can use the same pattern as the waist coat I used for the black one (as long as it is PC enough). I will need to figure out the right period buttons. I would think simple brass or bone?

The boots... without getting into the larger (and often heated) discussion about bucket boots, they are allowed at Searle's, along with sandals and latchet shoes for men. Many of the re-enactors in the photos have bucket boots. I will have them as well there this year, so it won't be a problem.

Now that be music to mine ears....

Now, I think for most of the time, I'd prefer to go barefoot...

If I do go the stockings and shoes route, I have converted thrift store shoes before. I turned a pair of work boots into copies of Jack Sparrow suede boots for about $30 before.

I think the challenge will be the buckle.

So saying that I can pass the garb muster, What is the next step to taking part in the festivities? I do not own a working flint lock and I don't think that I will be dropping $300-$500 for one in the next few months...Also, I don't have a tent, but I did see your home depot material post.

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

Hey all,

Is this a good event to try and do that? I'd love any suggestions from any of you. I am also in FL now (formerly Boulder and Chicago) in the Tampa Bay area.

Hi Captain Mickey - I see you're from a town in my old neck of the woods (grew up in Aurora and Castle Rock CO). Definately heed Hurricane and Michael's advice on the garb...I see you're list is good so far. I'm working on a set of men's garb myself, since I'll have to dress as one if I want to join in on the battles. Found a decent jerkin to go with the tunic I wore to PiP. Just have to find good socks/stockings and may make a pair of slops, or buy a pair depending on what style I like best that fits their event.

Edited by Cpt Sophia M Eisley

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Hey Hurricane - As far as shoes go are the ones Mary Diamond sells alright? I got rid of the buckles on mine and used ribbon laces. They look quite nice now (and were very comfortable at PiP).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Yes, those should work, as far as I know.

I am going to get Willie to chime in here. He's been to Searle's -- we were invited to go at St. Arrgustine so we're excited to try the earlier representation. I'll bug Willie to get in here (the voice of experience?). :)

-- Hurricane

Hey Hurricane - As far as shoes go are the ones Mary Diamond sells alright? I got rid of the buckles on mine and used ribbon laces. They look quite nice now (and were very comfortable at PiP).

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Oh, and RedJessi, are those Flogging Molly tickets available yet? Been a huge fan for many a year!

Aye, got my tickets ordered and set for delivery. You coming to the show?

Indeed I am lass. Being of fine Irish stock meself, I find it hard to resist raising a pint and listening to my most favorite angsty crooners from the Emerald Isle. I shall be there by me lonesome though, as I think the rest of me crew shall be birthed elsewhere.

If the planets and stars align, I will work it out to tack in the direction of St. Augustine Friday morn after finding me a place to board Thursday night. I have noted that I tend to be a bit wobbly in the legs after a Flogging Molly show. Whether from the dancing or the grog, well, I not really be caring, savvy?

Perhaps I shall see ye there. I have noted, that you stand out in a crowd, and the hall is not so large (as I frequent it often).

Mickey Flint

Me Website...

Gents, are drop front knee britches PC? They have laced tie in the back and buttons on the knee...

My research seems to indicate that drop front breeches are a much later period thing... They start to appear by the 1740s, but don't become common until later in the 18th century... That said, I honestly don't see that as being a detail that will show up much and can probably be hidden if that is what you have.

Michael_banner.jpg

Just don't drop them in front of the public and you'll probably be good. :)

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Gents, are drop front knee britches PC? They have laced tie in the back and buttons on the knee...

My research seems to indicate that drop front breeches are a much later period thing... They start to appear by the 1740s, but don't become common until later in the 18th century... That said, I honestly don't see that as being a detail that will show up much and can probably be hidden if that is what you have.

Well, that is a great excuse to make some new slops!

Mickey Flint

Me Website...

I'm looking at possibly making something along the lines of this...

LeatherCouat.jpg

Just looking at the cut, not the fancy adds. Will the sleeves be slashed on both sides?

Would this work? I'll use the shirts I currently have. I'll probably make some baggy trousers to go with it

and my boots. (Whoo hoo! I can use them after all. :rolleyes: ) The pants will be a kinda of drawstring type (I'll probably still button them.)

Kinda of gathered into a waistband. Length will be past the knee about mid - lower calf? Will the leg closure tie or button?

Thanks!

I'm looking at possibly making something along the lines of this...

LeatherCouat.jpg

Just looking at the cut, not the fancy adds. Will the sleeves be slashed on both sides?

Would this work? I'll use the shirts I currently have. I'll probably make some baggy trousers to go with it

and my boots. (Whoo hoo! I can use them after all. :( ) The pants will be a kinda of drawstring type (I'll probably still button them.)

Kinda of gathered into a waistband. Length will be past the knee about mid - lower calf? Will the leg closure tie or button?

Thanks!

Would be spectacular to say the least! Would you make it from wool?

Mickey Flint

Me Website...

Would be spectacular to say the least! Would you make it from wool?

I'm not sure what Aminjiria will make his out of, but to me it looks like a leather buff coat as worn by many armies of the mid-17th century (which would very much still be in use by the time 1668 rolled around). I was thinking of going the more 1650-166o military look as well, but perhaps basing it on some French images from the time (assuming I can find any in a reasonable amount of time),

Michael_banner.jpg

I agree with M. Souris... most likely buff leather... now Jack perhaps ye should consider a proper pair of petticoat breeches... sorry hard to see em in the second picture

10_02_AdeligeHofE17JH.jpg

dressonright.gif

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aminjiria, I totally think you should go for something like that.

Is it just me, or does it look like the French soldiers depicted in this block print dated to the 1650s are wearing Justacorps?

1650_2.jpg

And this is just a neat looking pic from 1667 that I thought I would post as well.

1667_1.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

Aminjiria, I totally think you should go for something like that.

Is it just me, or does it look like the French soldiers depicted in this block print dated to the 1650s are wearing Justacorps?

1650_2.jpg

Hmmmm without my glasses, which are still packed.. :( I would almost say not a long justacorps but short doublet/jacket with long, opened knee breeches... like Graphic1.jpg

M2002_57_146.jpg

minus the froo-froo

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've always fancied this illustration of Henry Morgan meself.

morgan-book.jpg

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny