Searle's Raid

michaelsbagley

A question for appropriate trousers of the time, Would petticoat breeches, or dutch slops be PC for this event? I am just curious so I can continue work for the weekend in question.

Dutch Slops would be spot on. As Hurricane mentioned petticoat Breeches would work as well. I will tell you that you will not find many people wearing them at the event. Nothing wrong with wearing the ol Rhinegraves, just not many folks wearing them.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question for appropriate trousers of the time, Would petticoat breeches, or dutch slops be PC for this event? I am just curious so I can continue work for the weekend in question.

Dutch Slops would be spot on. As Hurricane mentioned petticoat Breeches would work as well. I will tell you that you will not find many people wearing them at the event. Nothing wrong with wearing the ol Rhinegraves, just not many folks wearing them.

Awesome, thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to All!

For those who had questions on clothes please find attached some patterns,links to sutlers and also a link where you may purchase patterns.

Also, instructions for patterns are below. If you have questions feel free to PM or email myself or Sgt. Johnson.

More information and an event flyer will be forthcoming with all pertinent information.

This year we have the privilege of camping in the Spanish Quarter, a 18th century colonial restoration area located directly on A1A and across from the Castillo de San Marcos, the only 17th century stone fortification in the U.S. which was coincidentally built because of this very pirate raid.

Spanish Quarter: http://www.historicstaugustine.com/csq/history.html

Castillo Website: http://www.nps.gov/casa/

Perhaps more pertinent, located to the rear of the encampment – Taberna del Gallo - The tavern is a re-creation of a 1734 public house, based on one of the forty actual taverns that operated during the colonial era of this city. The Taberna del Gallo is a functioning establishment, staffed by period re-enactors. They serve both alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages, but do not have a food menu.

A meet and greet will be held here on Friday, March 6th 2009.

---------

* the following are early 17th century patterns for English Civil War - they are suitable for this event

http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...shirtpatvw2.jpg

17th century soldier shirt

http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...0soldiervc3.jpg

17th century soldier pants

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...0soldierub5.jpg

17th century soldier coat page 1

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1...0soldierfo3.jpg

17th century soldier coat page2

PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS

Instructions for Buffcoat Pattern

For Buffcoat use 5 oz. leather of a light brown color, rough side out. No sleeves, but a 2-3" collar may be added. All seams are to be butt stitched. The Buffcoat is to be secured closed with one continues brown leather thong laced down the front and not with individual ties.

CAUTION: First draw out a pattern and construct it out of stout fabric to insure proper fit before cutting your leather.

http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=b...tpatternku9.jpg

Instructions For Snapsack

For snapsack use 3 or 4 oz light brown leather, rough side out OR canvas. After folding and sewing turn inside out leaving both ends open, to be lashed shut. For lashing use only linen or cotton cord. For the sling use 1" wide, 6-7 oz belt leather or canvas.

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapsackpu9.pdf

LINKS TO PATTERNS AND SUTLERS

https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/patte...mp;d=36&q=1

http://sykesutler.home.att.net/

Edited by Captain William

• 2 weeks later...

OK!! Head Count!!! They need to know who is going to this thing so they can plan accordingly (food and space and all)

If you ARE going to Searle's, Please e-mail Sgt Johnson jeffjohnsonfl@yahoo.com and let him know! He needs numbers of people and how many tents for your groups. If you're not, well, sucks to be you :D

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

• 3 weeks later...

I was informed this past weekend that Friday's meal will likely be prepared for the group, so no potluck, but nibbles and libations are still welcome. Jeff or William, please chime in if information changes.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I was informed this past weekend that Friday's meal will likely be prepared for the group, so no potluck, but nibbles and libations are still welcome. Jeff or William, please chime in if information changes.

As soon as new info comes up I will post it. Buccaneer Officer's for the event will be posted soon.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

As soon as new info comes up I will post it. Buccaneer Officer's for the event will be posted soon.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Officer posting for Searle's Raid. The Company held a meeting at our School of the 16th Century this past weekend. Officers for our upcoming events were cussed and discussed.

William Kunze: "AKA Capt. William" Captain of the Buccaneer Forces.

Doug Pummel: Ensign and Safety Officer

Jeff Johnson: "AKA Sgt Johnson" Sgt. of Musket and Safety Officer

Brad Rivard: Gun Captain (yes we have cannons) and Safety officer

Melissa Johnson: Head Camp Mistress

We look forward to hosting all of you that have expressed interst and that are coming down for this event! If you have any further questions please feel free to email them to me.

Your Humble Servent,

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

That's really cool that you figured out how to use the words "Jeff" and "safety" in the same sentence. Very witty, you!

<_<

-- Hurricane

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Officer posting for Searle's Raid. The Company held a meeting at our School of the 16th Century this past weekend. Officers for our upcoming events were cussed and discussed.

We look forward to hosting all of you that have expressed interst and that are coming down for this event! If you have any further questions please feel free to email them to me.

Your Humble Servent,

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

That's really cool that you figured out how to use the words "Jeff" and "safety" in the same sentence. Very witty, you!

:rolleyes:

-- Hurricane

Your Humble Servent,

You wound me sir. You gravely wound me....Who am I kidding I even laughed when I posted it...LOLOLOL!

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

HEY DIOSA!!!!

I know it's your birthday and all, but I just got an email from Mr. Johnson, and he mentioned the dinner Friday evening. I had offered to make Jamaican style rice and peas (which is really rice and beans, them Jamaican's are funny about naming stuff)...

Anyways, I know you and I had briefly discussed coconuts on some thread somewhere in the Pub (maybe on the coconut thread in Twill?), and I believe we last left it at my needing to remind you to check and see if the coconut tree in your yard has any coconuts on it and whether they are of a size to be edible, and if so to bring a few to Searles for me to cook with, if you are so willing? Well this is me reminding you. :unsure:

Please let me know, if there aren't as I will then have to buy some coconut cream to cook with.

Cheers!

Michael_banner.jpg

HEY DIOSA!!!!

I know it's your birthday and all, but I just got an email from Mr. Johnson, and he mentioned the dinner Friday evening. I had offered to make Jamaican style rice and peas (which is really rice and beans, them Jamaican's are funny about naming stuff)...

Anyways, I know you and I had briefly discussed coconuts on some thread somewhere in the Pub (maybe on the coconut thread in Twill?), and I believe we last left it at my needing to remind you to check and see if the coconut tree in your yard has any coconuts on it and whether they are of a size to be edible, and if so to bring a few to Searles for me to cook with, if you are so willing? Well this is me reminding you. :P

Please let me know, if there aren't as I will then have to buy some coconut cream to cook with.

Cheers!

Birthday or not, you are always welcome to talk peas and rice! that is no interruption at all :)

The tree still has coconuts... hopefully they are good after the couple of freezes we had, so I will get some up there!

Diosa

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Just in case i had missed this before Salty, Wee Hamish & M'self are planning on attending this event we're coming down with Mickey & Kate

Glad to have you aboard Callenish! I sent you an email. As for everyone else some new information has surfaced that I need to get out to all those planning to attend.

Arrival time for the event has been moved up one day! You will now be able to arrive onsite anytime after 12 noon on Thrusday March 5th. This will allow all of the out of towners a more flexible time frame for driving/flying. You can setup on Thrusday afternoon and then enjoy the "Noble and Loyal city" Of San Agustin before the event starts.

Again if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to drop me an email. If you know that you are coming drop me an email with your estimated arrival time.

Thanks again,

Your humble servant

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

YE BUCCANEERS' GAZETTE

Bringing the freshest news of the day

Spring, 1668 Edition

Current events--

In war news, the Triple Alliance of England, the Spanish Netherlands and Sweden has brought the French to the bargaining table in an attempt to successfully conclude the brief War of Devolution. The Dutch are willing to cede some of the territory claimed by France in return for peace and a withdrawal of troops from occupied territory.

Spain has recognized Portuguese independence after 88 years of union.

The commander of the Hapsburg's supreme imperial war council, Raimondo Montecuccoli, has begun a series of reforms to reduce reliance on pikeman and replace them with musketeers.

Turning to science, we learn that Italian researcher Francesco Redi has conclusively disproven the theory of spontaneous generation. His experiments demonstrated that maggots do not generate from decaying meat, but are rather the offspring of flying insects.

In England, Sir Isaac Newton has invented a device known as a "reflecting telescope" with which to study the heavens.

Meanwhile, in Holland, Regnier de Graaf has been devoting his attentions a little closer to home, doing an in-depth study of the testicles.

On the cultural front, Moliere's new comedy "L'Avare" has opened to rave reviews, England has named her first Poet Laureate (who, coincidentally, has loaned a substantial sum to King Charles II) and composer Diderik Buxtehude has been appointed to a post at the Marienkirche in Lubeck.

Meanwhile, in the New World, Robert Searles sails his small fleet of corsairs north up the coast of Spanish Florida...

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

2009 "Sack of St. Augustine" Encampment, Directions, and Event

Officers (and a Special Treat!)

THE 2009 SACK OF ST. AUGUSTINE ENCAMPMENT

The 2009 Sack of St. Augustine buccaneer encampment will be in the

De Mesa-Sanchez Yard at the Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum, in St.

Augustine, Florida. The encampment will be open for set-up after 2PM

on Thursday, March 5th.

PLEASE NOTE: All hands on deck! As much help as possible is needed

to set up camp on Friday, March 6th and break it down on Sunday,

March 8th – no help = no camp. Lunch will be provided on Friday for

those hearty souls who turn to and bear a hand.

2009 camp rules are located online at:

http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/camp_rules.htm

DIRECTIONS TO THE 2009 SACK OF ST. AUGUSTINE ENCAMPMENT

The Encampment will be located at:

The De Mesa-Sanchez Yard

THE DE MESA HOUSE MUSEUM

43 St. George Street

St. Augustine, FL 32084

(Part of the Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum

29 St. George Street

St. Augustine, FL 32084

www.historicstaugustine.com/csq/history.html)

• Take Interstate 95 from the North or South to Exit #318 for

State Road #16.

• Turn East on State Road #16 (Charles Usinas Memorial Hwy) to

U.S. Hwy #1.

• At U.S. Hwy #1, turn South (right).

• At W. Castillo Dr., turn East (left). This will take you

past the St. Augustine/St. Johns County Visitor Information Center

and the multistory city parking garage, where Event participants may

park. The entrance to the parking garage is on Cordova St. We have

35 free parking passes to distribute, first come, first serve. Questions 904-534-6168.

• After parking, leave the Visitor Information Center and the

city parking garage and proceed through the City Gates and South

along St. George Street to the pink De Mesa House (43 St. George

Street).

• IF CAMPING, however, pass the parking garage and proceed

along W. Castillo Dr. to San Marco Ave./Castillo Dr.

• At San Marco Ave./Castillo Dr., turn South (right).

• As you pass the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument on

your left, look for Charlotte St. on your right. Look also on your

right for the red flag ("le jolie rouge" or "Jolly Roger") which

will mark the location of the De Mesa Yard and the Searle's

encampment.

• At Charlotte St., turn South (right).

• At Cuna St., turn West (right).

• On your right, near the end of Cuna St., will be the

entrance to the Searle's encampment.

• Please unload your camping gear as quickly as possible as a

courtesy to those who will arrive at the encampment after you. Get

your parking pass (if available) and proceed to park your vehicle at

the city parking garage.

• You may reach the city parking garage from the Searle's

encampment by cutting through the municipal parking lot across from

the entrance to the Searle's encampment, turning West (right) on

Hypolita St., and proceeding until it dead-ends into Cordova St.

• At Cordova St., turn North (right) and proceed to the

entrance of the city parking garage.

• After parking, leave the city parking garage and the Visitor

Information Center and proceed through the City Gates and South

along St. George Street to the pink De Mesa House (43 St. George

Street).

• If the front gate to the De Mesa Yard on St. George Street

is closed, continue to Cuna St. and turn East (left). The entrance

gate on Cuna St. will be open Thursday and Friday nights for late

arrivals.

Questions? o phone 904-534-6168.

MAP TO THE 2009 SACK OF ST. AUGUSTINE ENCAMPMENT

http://maps.google.com/maps??

hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=colonial+spanish+quarter+st.+augustine+FL&fb=1&split=

1&gl=us&cid=0,0,7692040252952893667&ei=uiCsSdvFNY_ftgek5pnzDw&ll=29.8

97731,-81.313291&spn=0.017039,0.027466&z=15

Special thanks to Conrad Matt and Tomm Matthis for their help with

these directions.

OFFICERS FOR THE 2009 SACK OF ST. AUGUSTINE RE-ENACTMENT

The following ladies and gentlemen have kindly consented to act as

officers for this year's historical re-enactment:

The Spaniards

Brian Bowman – one of the best-known, long-time re-enactors in

Florida, with several decades of know-how, Brian is president of the

Historic Florida Militia and head of the Men of Menendez group. He

will portray the amorous Don Francisco de la Guerra y de la Vega,

royal Governor and Captain General of Florida, commanding the

valiant Spanish floridaños in the defense of the presidio of San

Agustín (http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_History.htm).

Tim Burke –Tim, the founder of Calderon's Company

(http://home.comcast.net/~calderon/), is a 19-year veteran of

historical re-enacting, with unbroken annual renewals for NPS

blackpowder musket certification since 1994. He will command the

Spanish mosqueteros as Captain Nicolás Esteves de Carmenatis, who

gallantly lead two sortees from the fortress of San Marcos to

assault the town's invaders

(http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_History.htm).

The Buccaneers

Davis Walker – with 23 years of experience in 17th-century re-

enacting, Davis will take the role of Captain Robert Searle and lead

the hereticos palidos ("pale heretics" –

http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_History.htm).

Jon Williams – a long-time member of the St. Augustine Garrison,

Jon, having spent the past 17 years re-enacting in 17th- and 18th-

century venues, will serve as Sergeant of Musket for the crew of the

Cagway.

Camp

Jeff Johnson – another veteran re-enactor, Jeff has been asked to serve

as Quartermaster and oversee the buccaneer encampment.

Tomm Matthis – a 17th-century re-enactor since 1986, Tomm, the 1st

mate of the Cagway, has kindly consented to act as general camp's

dogsbody.

Kitchen

Melissa Johnson – a member of Searle's Buccaneers and a renowned

local cook, Melissa will be so good as to run the kitchen at this

year's Searle's re-enactment.

Safety

Chuck Dale – retired NPS ranger, long-time member of the St.

Augustine Garrison, Chuck's years of experience on historical sites

and as a historical re-enactor uniquely fit him for the role of over-

all Event safety officer.

As a special treat this year, the famous Bramble Schoole of Defence

and the Arts Mylitarie (http://www.bbramble.com/) will be

represented by Scott Crawford (Director of the Bramble Schoole).

The Bramblers are known for their study of historic swordplay

manuals of the 16th and 17th centuries, practicing and teaching

swordsmanship and other military skills drawn directly from these

sources. Scott will demonstrate the brutally effective fighting

techniques of period swords and blackpowder weapons.

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson