Searle's Raid

michaelsbagley

This is an event in St. Augustine Florida in earlty March. The event is hosted by Searle's Buccaneers, the direct information about the event can be found ON THIS WEB PAGE which hasn;t been updated from last year quite yet... But although I wasn't there last year (I wanted to very badlly), I doubt much would have changed for this year's coming event.

I have a flyer for this year's event at home, i will take a look at it tonight and add any details from that here for those interested.

While I can't guarantee I am going yet, this event is pretty high on my list of hoping to make it to.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an event in St. Augustine Florida in earlty March. The event is hosted by Searle's Buccaneers, the direct information about the event can be found ON THIS WEB PAGE which hasn;t been updated from last year quite yet... But although I wasn't there last year (I wanted to very badlly), I doubt much would have changed for this year's coming event.

I have a flyer for this year's event at home, i will take a look at it tonight and add any details from that here for those interested.

While I can't guarantee I am going yet, this event is pretty high on my list of hoping to make it to.

I know some of our crewe are planning to be there...

Well, what will it take to help move you to the side of being there :) Dunno how you were planning to travel, but if you need things ferried in, we will likely be able to do that. We're about 3 hours away here.... If you are flying, you could ship things our way and we will have them on site for you when you arrive. I can also make a pretty good taxi service to or from JAX :)

Let me know if I can be of help,

Diosa

Edited by Goddess in the Bodice

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Well, what will it take to help move you to the side of being there :) Dunno how you were planning to travel, but if you need things ferried in, we will likely be able to do that. We're about 3 hours away here.... If you are flying, you could ship things our way and we will have them on site for you when you arrive.

Diosa

We would likely drive in if we go.... A mere 10 to 11 hour drive is nothing compared to the trip to and from Key West. The wife not buying into going is the only thing (barring real life interferance) that would keep me from going to this one... And if I recall correctly, the wife was inclined to this one, so it should be a doable thing. I guess at this point my going only depends on getting the friday and monday off of work for travel time.

I hugely appreciate the offer of help though!!! You may want to chat with Red Jessi about helping her though... I am going to try helping her with the earlier period garb for this event, but if you or someone on your crew might have an extra canvas tent to loan her, that would be awesome!!!

Michael_banner.jpg

Well, what will it take to help move you to the side of being there :) Dunno how you were planning to travel, but if you need things ferried in, we will likely be able to do that. We're about 3 hours away here.... If you are flying, you could ship things our way and we will have them on site for you when you arrive.

Diosa

We would likely drive in if we go.... A mere 10 to 11 hour drive is nothing compared to the trip to and from Key West. The wife not buying into going is the only thing (barring real life interferance) that would keep me from going to this one... And if I recall correctly, the wife was inclined to this one, so it should be a doable thing. I guess at this point my going only depends on getting the friday and monday off of work for travel time.

I hugely appreciate the offer of help though!!! You may want to chat with Red Jessi about helping her though... I am going to try helping her with the earlier period garb for this event, but if you or someone on your crew might have an extra canvas tent to loan her, that would be awesome!!!

Unfortunately, Willie, Hurricane and I are the only ones in our crewe with a tent so far... the others have been cheating by sleeping in the casements at PIP, but have been put on notice to get tentage!

I too have a lot of sewing to do. I am exceedingly short of PC clothing, but after seeing all of you in the PC stuff, I decided I need to have some of my own....

Tell your lovely misses that there will be plenty of us there to keep her company and entertain her.... can I bribe her with cookies? or jewelry making?

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Here's a great resource I found for making tents using stuff at Home Depot... 101 tents on a budget, so to speak...

http://www.piratesofthecoast.com/tents.pdf

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Just looked at the dates, and I am a tad bit nervous, as I am already confirmed for MegaCon in Orlando February 27 - March 1st. I've been going to that con every year since 1994, and at this point, there are several people flying from the UK and Ireland who are expecting me (and my presence was requested by some of those folks at the Flogging Molly concert in Orlando on March 5 and I am trying to see if I can swing that. oi! I am not sure requesting a full week off from work within my first 90 days is so very wise...)

Here's to hoping that 2009 has this moved back a bit....*crosses fingers*

If my memory is correct, the event was on the weekend of March 7th to 8th... So you should be fine there... but i will check the pamphlet I got from William when I get home tonight to make sure.... Jessi, I'm not sure how long of a drive it will be for you, but if yopu are within 4 or 5 hours of St. Augustine, you should be able to make this event without taking time off... I only need to book time off as it is an 11 hour drive.

Rev. Sam, it would be great if you were around and could come out for this one!

Please not I orginally posted Feb. 7th and 8th... This event is in March and NOT February.

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

If my memory is correct, the event was on the weekend of March 7th to 8th... So you should be fine there... but i will check the pamphlet I got from William when I get home tonight to make sure.... Jessi, I'm not sure how long of a drive it will be for you, but if yopu are within 4 or 5 hours of St. Augustine, you should be able to make this event without taking time off... I only need to book time off as it is an 11 hour drive.

Please not I orginally posted Feb. 7th and 8th... This event is in March and NOT February.

Awesome. Yeah I should be good as this runs through my Spring breakage and I cannot think of a better way to spend it

This will be my 3 rd year at Searle's and is very comparable to PIP as far as the encampment at the Fountain of Youth and right across the inlet where Searle , Francis Drake, Menendez and many others entered to take over St Augustine ,1668 garb is required if you don't have somthing it can be loaned to you , there will be a battle in the city saturday , the dates will be setup on friday march 6 and take down march 8 , the website hasn't been up dated as of yet

It should be between 4-5 hours in drive time for me. I may just take the whole week since I was planning to be in Orlando the prior weekend, and now my Irish gang asked if I would stick around for Flogging Molly on the Thursday thereafter...though, I could also drive back the Sunday before and then just take Thursday and Friday off, leaving me to only have to trek the 90 minutes or so from Orlando to Auggie and plus having gotten to see Molly as well!

Either way, if it is the weekend of the 7th & 8th- I will be there!

I'm in on this as well...and I think I may have that Friday off (huzzah!). :blink: It's probably an hour and a half drive for me from Orlando (or so I've been told).

I am guessing that someone lied to you :) Unless you are driving 90 the whole way it will be more like 2 hours... maybe a littler more if you drive the speed limit...still, it's a quick jaunt to a great location and sounds like a lot of fun people!!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Hmm...perhaps they thought I was in northeastern Orlando. Ah well, what's a 30 to 60 min difference? *shrugs* I'll be there with bells on. :blink:

An' I'm curious...are there places I can procure those nifty pikes some of the group had during PiP? I can see myself using one of those...in a reenactment of course.

I am guessing that someone lied to you :) Unless you are driving 90 the whole way it will be more like 2 hours... maybe a littler more if you drive the speed limit...still, it's a quick jaunt to a great location and sounds like a lot of fun people!!!!

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

For some, it's not too soon to get started on your garb. They have very specific requirements for this event. For instance, women aren't allowed to shoot or carry weapons unless they can look like a man from 10 feet away.

Here are the garb requirements:

http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_Garb.htm

As for weapons, Queen Annes are out, as are Brown Besses and later guns. Same with swords, though there is some latitude on that.

So much to do (as always) and so little time to do it (as always).

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

For some, it's not too soon to get started on your garb. They have very specific requirements for this event. For instance, women aren't allowed to shoot or carry weapons unless they can look like a man from 10 feet away.

Here are the garb requirements:

http://www.searlesbuccaneers.org/Searles_Garb.htm

As for weapons, Queen Annes are out, as are Brown Besses and later guns. Same with swords, though there is some latitude on that.

So much to do (as always) and so little time to do it (as always).

- Hurricane

Thanks Hurricane, I just need to find pictures to go with the visual aspect of my mind

Hey all,

I have been reading about how great PIP was and I have been very sad to have missed it. This event sounds just as wonderful to me.

I don't think that I have met many of you who are talking of going, and I have never really been involved with true PC and reenactment before, mostly faires and festivals. However, I would truly love to "break in" as it were.

Is this a good event to try and do that? I'd love any suggestions from any of you. I am also in FL now (formerly Boulder and Chicago) in the Tampa Bay area.

I am fairly sure that I can swing the PC requirements, and have no problem cooking and living period, but I am a bit sheepish of making plans of this magnitude with an uncertain welcome, savvy?

Would love your thoughts...

Mickey Flint

First Mate o' the Harbinger

Me Website...

l_86c90f45206f4ce9bad5d7f52fdc1fc6.jpg

Oh, and RedJessi, are those Flogging Molly tickets available yet? Been a huge fan for many a year!

Orlando is just an hour from me...

EDIT ----- Just went online. Yep still available. Now I need to find a way back out to CO for the New Years show!

Edited by Captain Mickey

Mickey Flint

Me Website...

Hey all,

I have been reading about how great PIP was and I have been very sad to have missed it. This event sounds just as wonderful to me.

I don't think that I have met many of you who are talking of going, and I have never really been involved with true PC and reenactment before, mostly faires and festivals. However, I would truly love to "break in" as it were.

Is this a good event to try and do that? I'd love any suggestions from any of you. I am also in FL now (formerly Boulder and Chicago) in the Tampa Bay area.I am fairly sure that I can swing the PC requirements, and have no problem cooking and living period, but I am a bit sheepish of making plans of this magnitude with an uncertain welcome, savvy?

Would love your thoughts...

Hey Mickey, last year when I started a dialogue witht he organizer, one of the first things he said to me was this event "was not your skull and crossbones" type of event. (or something similar to that). The bottom line is that they take historical accuracy fairly seriously. Having been on this forum for a few years now, I have come to realize that there is a fairly wide range of what is perceived as historical accuracy. I would strongly recommend reading the garb standards that Hurricane posted the link to earlier in this thread, and reading them with a CONSERVATIVE mindset. No one will ever fault you for overshooting on historical accuracy, but relying on marginal or debatable stuff is where many have troubles when it comes to re-nactments. I'm not trying to be discouraging, it is do-able... and there are plenty of people here that can help with lots of good advice.

My first suggestion is going through old posts in the Twill area of this forum focussing on Buccaneer and 1660s to 1670s style garb (which is fairly different from the later Golden Age stuff). If you have a copy (or access to a copy, perhaps your local library) of the book "The Buccaneers of America" by: John Esquemeling (sometimes spelled "Exquemeling") many editions have a decent amount of images (wood block prints) that represent what would be typical of the clothing of the time. My biggest suggestion is aim for basic commoner/working class garb, you can always add fancy stuff later, racing against time for make something fancy on the first go is where most people run into walls over this kind of thing.

Since Patrick Hand is talk about a Buccaneer camp at PiP for next year, and this event is drawing attention this year, it might be a good time to bump the Buccaneer thread Patrick started in Twill...

Edit - Okay the old thread has been bumped recently, here is the link for ease of reference Buccaneer Project Thread

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

I recommend looking at the photos of the past engagements as well --

http://searlesbuccaneers.org/Sack_05.htm

The changes aren't great, but they are critical to the representation -- for example, tricorns didn't come into fashion until after the raid... all the little things add up. If you look at the photos though, simplifying your garb is the quickest way to become period. A linen/cotton shirt and slops for men, for example, with stockings and shoes or boots if you're a buccaneer.

This is a very educational event for the public, hence the attempt to be as accurate as possible. No one is going to count your stitches, however.

The grounds at the Fountain of Youth Park, by the way, are fabulous!!! Well worth the adventure into the world of buccaneers alone.

Since buccaneers is my passion, ask any questions and I (or others here) can find the source materials.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Great stuff guys. As a matter of fact, the first thing that I did was print out the garb regulations. It looked fairly like what I expected.

Legs - My slops are period (at least I think they are, as they have buttons on the leg and not garters, hmmm)

Torso - I have several linen shirts, some of which are at least 10 years old now, and the stains are real and earned! I have a black waist coat. I will need to get some feedback on whether or not this is PC. If not, its a great opportunity to get something new made!

Head covering - scarf and an un-cocked felt hat which I am looking forward to beating up and getting a few musket balls shot through.

Waist - can I wear a sash or only a belt, either way covered. I made the belt myself, I am fairly certain that the buckle is not out of period.

Neck - I thought to mimic Mickey Souris or Cpt Sterlings

Feet - Ok, this I will have to work on. I recently got a pair of bucket boots from CA Boots. I love them, but that DEFINITELY falls into the skull and crossbones category. I will need some direction here.

med_gallery_10477_41_960323.jpg

Overall, the impression I get is less is more here. I read a great post about "where does a buccaneer stow all that stuff on a ship anywhere". Thought that "too true".

The meat of the matter is I love the idea of trying to be as historically accurate as possible. With several months before the event, I would have a great time doing little projects to create some of what I would need...

Mickey Flint

Me Website...

Hurricane's gear was probably the best Buccaneer era stuff I saw at PiP... And from reading his posts over the years, I have come to trust him as one of the most knowledgable guy at the Pyracy Pub for info on the era.

Loyalist Arms Shoes and Boots The boots on the top of this page or the shoes just below them are both appropriate for this type of iompression.... The downside is that ordering from Loyalist is slow, and even if you ordered today, there is no guarantee they would get to you in time for this event. There is a thread Here in the Thieves Market that was bumped yesterday where Zeph (on page 2 of the thread) converted some thrift store shoes to look like pretty decent period shoes. The images have since gone the way of the dinosaurs, but the discussion may help. There are a few web sites I have seen out there with similar instructions with images, but I have lost the links.

Michael_banner.jpg